Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligr      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligrino as bad for you as that found in soft drinks? Page 1 of 1    
I have given up diet colas as much as possible, but still crave something fizzy now and again.

I know the other stuff in soft drinks is bad.

Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligrino as bad for you as that found in soft drinks? Does it also promote bone loss? Does it cause bloating as much as soda?
 xzanthius
Msg: 2
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/22/2009 6:23:27 PM
I love, mineral water (bubbly stuff), maple syrup and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Also good lightly blended with maple syrup and strawberries... You can make all natural deliscious sodas at home.

The bad one regarding bone density loss of phosphoric acid which is in most comercial sodas. Aspertame, and other artificial sugars are not great, and frankly natural refined sugar isn't great either. (maple syrup=complex sugar=good!) Honey is not bad, cactus syrup I assume is good... research your sugars!

Frankly the natural sodas are good for you... though apparently too much bubby can raise one's chances of throat cancer. At least they are nutritious and hydrating.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/22/2009 8:37:06 PM
"Now and again" won't hurt you. "Unhealthy" starts when one over indulges.
My youngest daughter is a health nut and states that all carbonated beverages are evil but she has never explained why.

Relax, follow your desires *in moderation*. Worry and stress are worse than a few occasional bubbles.
 TheDao
Msg: 4
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/22/2009 9:28:42 PM
Carbon dioxide is a waste product from your cells why would you want to drink it? Makes no sense. It does cause bloating according to a site.

Distention of the stomach pouch and anastamosis
When a cold, carbonated beverage is consumed, it warms and releases carbon dioxide gas that was dissolved in the liquid. This gas can be trapped in your stomach pouch, causing it to distend and needlessly stretch your pouch. While it’s true these gasses are not permanently trapped in your stomach (since they can be released through burping) any unnecessary, uncontrolled, distension of your stomach pouch places you at greater level of risk that you’ll stretch your pouch to the point where you will compromise the effectiveness of the “tool” you’ve worked so hard to obtain.

Try eating some fruits instead, it is mostly liquid anyway which in fact will quench your thirst.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/23/2009 8:17:49 AM
Do Perrier and Peligrino (naturally carbonated mineral waters) contain carbon dioxide?
 DaveB951
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/23/2009 8:52:17 AM
It is nothing to be concerned about. If you are going to worry or be concerned about gases, one should be more concerned with breathing in all the exhaust fumes from automobiles as opposed to carbonated drinks.

The small amount of naturally occuring carbonated gas in the mineral water will be expelled just like your body naturally expells the carbon dioxide with every breath you take.

You can even try plain ol seltzer water if you want some fizz.....
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/23/2009 9:20:07 AM

Do Perrier and Peligrino (naturally carbonated mineral waters) contain carbon dioxide?

Yes. Read about Perrier here:
http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Water/France/Perrier.asp

By the way, they add the carbonation back into the water.

As for sodium content - sodium is sodium. My can of Mendota Springs says it has zero sodium.

I rarely drink carbonated beverages but occasionally will have them for something different. I don't know where the idea that soda is bad for your bones came from. There's no evidence to support that claim. However, the sugar in soda is bad for your teeth.
 xzanthius
Msg: 8
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/23/2009 10:05:33 AM

I don't know where the idea that soda is bad for your bones came from. There's no evidence to support that claim.

It comes from the chemical ingrediant 'phosphoric acid' which is added to quite a few different comercial sodas (coke, pepsi, and orange crush amungst others).
 smartypants24
Msg: 9
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/24/2009 9:38:45 PM
Try Seltzer water, club soda or tonic water with a splash of fruit juice...yummy...or a fruity Crystal Light if you tolerate aspartame...its like pop, but not quite as bad
 rurlgirl
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Something fizzy!
Posted: 8/25/2009 2:36:40 PM
Uhmmmm...tonic water and club soda are NOT the same thing. Tonic has plenty of sugar, though you'd never know it from the taste. Club soda is just fizzy water. I love it, and it has no calories, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners. I also think it's superior to the so-called sparkling mineral water in terms of taste, but that's just my opinion.
 KC-Friends
Msg: 11
Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligrino as bad for you as that found in soft drinks?
Posted: 8/25/2009 6:17:12 PM
Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligrino as bad for you as that found in soft drinks? Does it also promote bone loss? Does it cause bloating as much as soda?

1. Yes, sodium is sodium. Stay away from sodium if you have conditions like hypertension or heart problems where your heart is weakening and cannot pump blood like it once did (CHF).
2. Sodium does not promote bone loss. You are likely thinking of phosphorus. Calcium and phosphorus has an inverse relationship. High phosphorus = low calcium and vice versa. Simply take a calcium supplement WITH a vitamin D supplement.
3. Again sodium is sodium, sodium attract h20 and thus causes you to retain a bit of fluid.
 quietjohn2
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligrino as bad for you as that found in soft drinks?
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:28:01 PM
Modern nutrition seems to disguise the simple fact that our bodies actually need things like calories, sodium and all those other 'nasty' things we are admonished to avoid. As Li Brooker pointed out, excess is the problem, not any specific food. Water consumption is not excluded from this. Excessive water consumption can result in loss of sodium (which, believe it or not, is a health threat). A minimum daily requirement of about 1.5 liters per day is essential. This can increase to 1.5 liters per hour with moderate exercise in hot desert conditions.
You can get a breakdown of some waters at http://www.aquamaestro.com/collection_france.asp, although these are only the French ones.
You can also get a good idea of dietary mineral needs at http://www.supplementquality.com/news/multi_mineral_chart.html.
The two critical terms you can Google for when looking at anything you question putting in your mouth are RDA (recommended daily alowance) and MDR (minimum daily requirement). For Sodium, the MDR is 500mg, RDA around 2500mg. Average daily intake in the US - over 4000mg.
Perrier has 9mg Sodium per liter but is quite high in nitrates compared to many other waters. Pellegrino has a sodium content of 36mg/litre and low nitrates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pellegrino). It looks like Wikipedia has contents for many of the bottled waters.

Colrado State University has a page on diet and hyprtension at http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09318.html - and quotes a sodium RDA of 1500+mg/day. It also has a list of sodium content for many foods.
 arwen52
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Something fizzy!
Posted: 9/2/2009 9:50:16 AM

I don't know where the idea that soda is bad for your bones came from. There's no evidence to support that claim.

It comes from the chemical ingrediant 'phosphoric acid' which is added to quite a few different comercial sodas (coke, pepsi, and orange crush amungst others).

Apparently it's mostly an ingredient in colas. I didn't check out the orange Crush but one can easily read the ingredients on the cans. Other carbonated beverages are not a problem. It isn't the carbonation, it is, as you point out, the phosphoric acid. See this report from Tufts University:
http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/802/2003/09/25/Tucker

One more reason not to drink a lot of soda. Drink water.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is the sodium in naturally carbonated waters like Perrier and Peligrino as bad for you as that found in soft drinks?