Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > What to do in San Francisco??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hugseeker
Msg: 1
What to do in San Francisco??Page 1 of 1    
So I'm doing a San Fran Trip...first week of September and have heard many many many wonderful things. I'm staying near fishermans wharf and I do not have any idea of things to do in San Fran, other than suggestions some friends have made, such as Union Square, wine tour and Chinatown.

I was wondering if people can give me ideas of what to do, where to go, also moderately priced shopping, basically any tips, ideas etc you have about San Fran in September.

Thanks
 Write Time
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What to do in San Francisco??
Posted: 8/26/2009 1:46:09 AM
I love to Alcatraz tour -- it's the best self-guided tour I've ever taken. Quick boat trip out to the island, and then you can spend as much time as you want touring the facility & listening to recorded insights from past guards and inmates. Highly recommended!
 ethereal2004
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 1:04:24 PM
Second the comment on the Alcatraz tour. Note that in summer, you often have to book in advance, this can be done online.

Of course Golden Gate park and the museums there. A ferry ride to and from Sausalito is nice. With transport, you can visit Fort Point and look UP at the Golden Gate bridge, then hike across and back. The ethnic areas: Chinatown, Japantown. Be aware that locals do need eat at restaurants either on Grant Avenue (tourist capital of Chinatown) or Fisherman's Wharf -- although you may want to.

Longer day trip to Napa Valley wine country is very popular. Also to see coastal redwoods at Muir Woods.

Other museums: SF MoMA, Exploratorium, Palace of the Legion of Honor

Enjoy, email me if you have specific questions I can answer.
 islandnurse
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 7:17:13 PM
Alcatraz at night tour was great! Limited number of tickets and generally need to be bought prior to trip! Cheesecake Factory on top of Macy's in financial district was nice to eat outside looking over city! John Muir woods followed by lunch in Sausalito, shopping in the quaint little shops! Just hanging out on the wharf was also fun so enjoy!!!
 ethereal2004
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:31:39 PM
Not to take away from the last posting, but SF has too many fine places to eat in all price ranges to waste a meal eating at a chain restaurant like the Cheesecake Factory. So go there for the view, have a coffee, and then go eat somewhere else!
 NerdStatus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 3:16:39 PM
What are you interested in: Museums, Art, History, Clubs, Bars, Hippy Scene, Gay Scene, Asian Scene, Water, Theater, Boats, Dining (if so, what kind - fine dining, hole-in-the-wall, scenic, asian / mexican / sea food)....?
How much time to you have? What hours do you plan on being awake? How will you be traveling (car, mass transit, bike)? What's your budget?
 hugseeker
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/30/2009 9:37:58 PM
Art, some touristy things, scenery for sure...i'm going solo so eats doe'sn't really matter. I want to know how safe it is at night, my budget is average, I'm not on a kraft dinner and hot dog plan but i'm not on a spend 200 buck a day plan either. I'll be there for 7 days, waking up when i want , usually about mid morning and my transportation will be streetcar, BART and cabs if necessary.

Thanks everyone for your help.
 ethereal2004
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:35:55 AM
You won't use BART much inside SF, it's more for commuters to and from SF. But don't forget the occasional commute on a cable car!

San Francisco is not a great art city, IMO. There are a few options: SF MoMA, the deYoung in Golden Gate park, the Palace of the Legion of Honor, and the Asian Art museum. SF is best for scenery, there are great views from everywhere. Be sure to walk across the bridge and back and also visit Fort Point. There are two fine, completely different, science museums: the Exploratorium and the newly re-opened Academy of Sciences, also in Golden Gate park.

Generally speaking some areas south of Market Street are not so safe at night, say from 6th street to 11the street or so.

Most clubs in SF close at 2am since there is a pre-historic California law that prohibits the sale of alcohol from 2-6am.
 Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/10/2011 4:59:55 PM
I'm going to SF for the first time ever, later this month

[[and I would previously have screeched "why don't you google it" to someone who asked a forum question that could be googled -- but -- google is turning to b.s. because more nincompoops are blogging pure garbage every day -- and -- this thread was already here]]

I'll be out there for a week with a husband my age + a 16 year old girl, and her 82-year-old grandmother.

What is to avoid, and what is to not miss? Anything? Anyone? Other than all the obvious famous tourist points.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/10/2011 5:40:08 PM

What is to avoid, and what is to not miss? Anything? Anyone? Other than all the obvious famous tourist points.

With that costume ,you'll fit right in on Castro street! lol

SF is one of my best visits & areas all around are awesome!
I'm lucky to have family & friends there ,& it never gets old. i lov it!

A great American City!!!!!!
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/11/2011 4:47:42 PM
Alcatraz at night tour was great! Limited number of tickets and generally need to be bought prior to trip!

Interesting,never went there at night.....thanks for the tip.
I usually visit northern CA. 2 to 3 times a year.
As I was just out there last Feb. I took the Bart from SF airport, then got off at Market St. then walk to the Enbaradero & take the ferry to Marin cty. Great ride across the bay past the 'Big House'. lol
Then drove to Muir woods, Mill Valley,& ate at a local place called,"Joe's Taco's, neat place!
Then went to Tiberon ,where I have family, & went to Sam's Anchor Cafe,another great place on the Bay. Also took the tour of Giant's Ballpark & was a blast too.
My family & me are history nuts, so we go where history brought us,taught us, how we live ,& in what we all are today.
 Spider_MacGyver
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/20/2011 5:18:40 AM
I've never been but I heard that if you get off the plane without any flowers in your hair, they will jump on you in a mob, and beat you to a pulp.

Costume. Excuse me? COSTUME!!!!!!???????? Why, I oughta..... I googled Castro Street, very funny, verrrrrrrry funny.
 glowryb
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/22/2011 2:20:24 PM
Just recently got back from San Francisco. We ate at Fisherman's Wharf and there are some reasonably priced places. We did the Alcatraz morning trip. It's supposed to be the least crowded time. It was very interesting. Make sure you walk over to Pier 39 to see all the sea lions lounging around on the docks. They are really quite fun to sit and watch. Near that area is Lombard St. It's the most crooked street. That was pretty cool. Golden Gate park is a huge park with lots of things to see. If you're into architecture at all, we visited Grace Cathedral and that was an interesting place to just walk around. Right near Grace Cathedral is a large reddish stone building which is one of the only original buildings of a railroad baron that survived the great earthquake.
 Spring_weather
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/15/2011 4:36:58 PM
How about Los Angeles and Hollywood- what are those cities like to visit?
 valenciacityx
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/17/2011 2:20:35 PM
smoked string beans I think they were at Beetlenut.... if not there then the E&O
they are worth the trip. call ahead to confirm, I remember them vividly, better than the place ! damnit, now I have a craving again.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > What to do in San Francisco??