Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What to do with an engagement ring from a past relationship      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 johnnylange
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What to do with an engagement ring from a past relationshipPage 1 of 1    
I have an engagement that I stored away from a past relationship that didn't work out. I was planning on returning it to try and get at least some money back for it. Anyway, never got around to it, so i'm just wondering what do people usually do with them?
What to do with an engagement ring from a past relationship
Posted: 8/30/2009 8:26:22 PM
I never had an engagement ring, but I sold my wedding ring. I went to one of those "cash for gold" places and sold it. I was happy to get rid of it.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 9:19:00 PM
Gold and diamonds aren't usually a good investment, despite what DeBeers would have you believe. Without having any idea of how much it is worth, or what the stones are, you may not get that much for it unless it's an heirloom. In which case you'd probably want to keep it.

If you don't have any negative associations with it, you could consider keeping it and when you meet someone else, just have the diamond put into a different setting if the fiance does not mind. It's not really appropriate to recycle the ring for a new fiance. I gave an old engagement ring to my mother, who was never married to my father.

If you have hurtful memories, perhaps you'd like to take it to one of those cash-for-gold places.

G'Luck
 red_relaxed
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/30/2009 9:37:50 PM
If it's a quality diamond, take it to a local private jeweller in your area and ask him to give you an appraisal on the value. Suggest he may sell it for a commission. Usually they'll request 50% of the acquired sale.
 zephyrmoon
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:34:31 PM
Save it and have the stones reset for when you really want to marry someone.
 kmm52072
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:38:20 PM
IMO whatever you decide to do with it make sure that if give the diamond or whatever part of the ring to a new gal...DO NOT tell her that it was for an ex....that will open a whole can of worms you might not be ready for.
 Ependa
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:38:40 PM
I flushed mine down the toilet..along with my wedding ring..

You could give it to someone who can't afford one..try to sell in the classifieds..
 Landra2
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 11:01:10 PM
pawn shop
expect to get about 20% of what you paid for it.
 MrMiracle
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 11:05:33 PM
craigslist is good. i gave mine to a homeless guy. basically, get rid of it and be more careful next time.

t.m.
 QUICKSILVER217
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/30/2009 11:34:13 PM
You could get the diamond set into a pendant for a daughter. I had my own remade into earings (bought a matching stone for the other side).
I don't see why more men don't wear diamonds. A diamond tie pin (with a safety chain on it) , cuff links, a single stud earing or a man's ring might be a thought.
A donation as a raffle item for a charity could be another consideration.
 WackMC
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/31/2009 12:34:45 AM
I put mine away as a reminder to NEVER buy jewelry again.

One exception -- If I win Lotto $millions$ I'm quite okay with buying some bling for women.
 lovemesomemen
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/31/2009 1:08:10 AM
I'd sell it. Don't save it for someone else. That's tacky.
 angels_fly
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/31/2009 3:19:40 AM
Hey!! I don't know if you are allowed to list websites here. But I hurd about this website on TV it's a website where you sell your ex bfs jewellery that you recieved as a gift... I was amazed and remembered this website just in case I need to put anything on sale.

www.exboyfriendjewelry.com

I know it's yout ex gf but who cares!
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 3:29:53 AM
IMO, LovesMeSomeMen is absolutely dead on when she says:

I'd sell it. Don't save it for someone else. That's tacky.

It's extremely tacky to give a diamond meant for someone else to a woman you're going to marry. Get it appraised and then try to sell it on Craig'sList or Ebay, etc. I wouldn't want to wear an engagement ring with a diamond that was bought for someone else - especially if you hadn't told me and I had to find that out months or years later.
 P.R.Handgrenade69
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/31/2009 4:35:48 AM
The economy right now sucks. Sell it.

One of the other posters mentioned if there were no negative associations with the ring then keep it. YOU HAVE AN ENGAGEMENT RING THAT YOU NEVER GAVE TO THE INTENDED SO OBVIOUSLY THAT IS PROOF ENOUGH THAT THERE IS A NEGATIVE ASSOCIATION TO IT.
 PeggyI
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/31/2009 5:36:19 AM
Around here the most popular use for old engagement rings is to have the diamond set in an earstud.
 LG6560
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 6:03:48 AM
I sold my 1.25 diamond ring when I needed the money. I regret it now. If anything, I would take the stone out of the setting and have something else made with it. Keep it for a daughter or granddaughter. My son is 21 and loves his ring that his Granddad gave him.
 yh150
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/31/2009 7:52:28 AM
I traded one in on a rolex.
 mermaidpants
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/31/2009 8:52:27 AM
I hocked my wedding band and engagement ring. I didn't get nearly what they were worth, but at the time I was just happy to be rid of them. I would recommend selling it to one of those cash for gold places, you'll get more back. Just be more careful next time, and good luck!
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/31/2009 8:58:44 AM
Toss it in my vault along with the rest of them....
 johnnylange
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2010 12:31:01 PM
Well, after thinking about it, forgetting about it, and once again thinking about it. Lol I think I'm going to keep it, have it put into a diffrent band, and possibly give it to my step daughter sometime down the road as a gift. I'm certainly not going to "re-engage" it, that would tacky and I'm sure my GF would think much worse things than that! Lol. I thought about selling it, but ill probably only 1/4 of what I paid for it.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What to do with an engagement ring from a past relationship