Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What someone does that really turn you off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BACHELOR02
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What someone does that really turn you off?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
What is one thing someone does that really turns you off?

The opposite question was asked in a recent pof thread that generated a lot of interesting responses, so I thought it might be interesting to hear about some of the things that turn people off. A lot of dating sites, past and present, ask applicants to list their"turn ons" and "turns offs" on their profiles which might help get to know someone and possibly avoid a dating faux pas. A good example of this might be a man who feels embarrassed because his date offered to pay the check, when he considers this a turn off.
 LMFAO925
Msg: 2
What someone does that really turn you off?
Posted: 9/2/2009 5:58:36 PM
Drugs, biting nails, tom boy clothes, stuck up attitude, shy attitude, cussing etc

i have so many dude lol well i have more turn ons thats for sure
 callmelori
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 6:05:02 PM
Turn offs include:

Controlling people
Needy/clingy people
Dishonesty
Selfishness
OK, this one is picky, but it drives me nuts...animated emoticons in any communication...I can overlook one or two, but more than that gives me the creeps. :)
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/2/2009 6:51:28 PM
- Drug use (ALL kinds... even dope)
- Cruelty
- Laziness
- Asking my opinion or taste in thins (such as music or movies) and then making fun of them or telling me my taste is horrible.
- Unhealthy behavior (Be it diet or lack of exercise or just not taking care of themself... I even find myself having a hard time not being turned off when I see someone drinking pop/soda)
 _kim_
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:43:35 PM
swearing, lack of manners, swearing, being late and did I mention swearing?
 sweetiepi
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/2/2009 8:06:10 PM
Hmm let's see:
- nose picking*
- no manners (includes farting/burping in public)
- arrogance

Just a few major ones for me.
 nicegirls35
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/2/2009 8:23:19 PM
Talking about oneself in the third person, like George Constanza. (George likes soccer, geroge doesn't like base ball etc.)
Asking what was it in my profile that you liked the most?(are you out to take a poll or to really meet someone?)
When they wear too much cologne
Asking every ten minutes "how do you think this date is going?"(it was OK, until you asked that question ........again!)
 Wiyan
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/2/2009 8:31:26 PM
a penchant for drinking, swearing, ambiguous communicaiton (possibly deceptive and or misleading), selfishness, bad manners, claiming that I am Gods gift to humanity without actually taking the time to get to know me!
 Jewlsey*
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/2/2009 8:35:17 PM
Turn offs

Yes dear type of men, like they don't have an original thought in their head ( whatever you want to do blah blah blah)
Over the top compliments from a virtual (they come off so insincere)
Saying things they think a woman wants to hear (crap about a relationship etc.. with you when you've been on 1 or 2 dates (again insincere - and usually wrong because all women are not the same)
Terms of endearment from a complete stranger
Negativity - victim mentality (diversity is part of life - how ones deals with is the true test)

*edit* laziness and lacking in work ethic
 Helen0426
Msg: 10
What someone does that really turns you off?
Posted: 9/2/2009 8:46:04 PM
Asking, "Didja get it? Didja? Didja get that?" Yeah, I got it. It wasn't funny. Wanna get a hearty kick in your ass? That might be funny.

In a very slightly more sophisticated version of this, explaining what is happening as if I can't see it for myself. "See, the guy in the movie's a genius, so he's bored..." So am I. It was bad enough when it was just the movie that was talking down to me.

Similarly, assuming that I cannot possibly share a characteristic and expounding on it as if I must certainly know nothing about it. "Well, I'm a coffee snob. I only buy Starbuck's." Yeah? I think Charbucks is crap. I go to Polcari's. You sound like someone claiming to be a wine snob recommending Lancer's.

Luckily, as I age, I encounter less and less of this behavior. Less luckily, there's more and more nose hair.
 fishinfosho
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/2/2009 10:18:55 PM
things that turn me off...

ugly guys hitting on me thinkingtheyre all that when theyre not

stupid people

materialistic people/people whos only thoughts are about money

people assuming they already know what i want before they get to know me. just because i have a vagina, theyll group me in with all the other women (eg: assuming that you being able to buy the things i want has anything to do with me accepting or rejecting ur @$$)

men who have different standards of behaviour for women than they do for themselves

men who are old enough to be my dad hitting on me (like u think ur money makes up for the generation gap)

facial hair

guys too obsessed with body image. i never liked built guys anyways

kissing my @$$ too much or otherwise being desperate
 lamma72369
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/2/2009 11:16:36 PM
bad manners - I understand that we all have the same bodily functions but you could at least say "excuse me"

bringing your ex to the party - I don't need to know what a **** your last girlfriend is 5 minutes into the conversation but I do appreciate the head's up that you're a bitter, miserable **stard who fully intends to take it out on me if I let you
 ForumFilly
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/3/2009 2:01:25 AM
Bad teeth are number one as far as appearance goes.

As far as personality, if the man is rude to others, I'm out of there. And someone who is constantly negative is right up there too. If a person cannot be personable and friendly and positive, then I don't want to be around him.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 3:23:25 AM
1. Effeminate men (blech) - number one turnoff
2. Using bad grammar (it makes one sound incredibly ignorant)
3. Constant negativity/bitterness/whining
4. Eyeballing every female within a 10-mile radius (beyond tacky and inconsiderate)
5. Bad table manners - if his eating habits remind me of feeding time at the zoo, there's a good chance we're not going to last
 Pashune
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 3:43:53 AM
- Weight (More than 160 lbs..)
- Heavy southern accent
- Being racist
- Cellphone addiction
- Complaints about my burping/flatulence. It's just gas people! You're much more harmed by gasoline fumes. There are just some table manners I'll never understand.
- Infinite supplies of sarcasm.
- Forcing me to attend church.
- Drugs/alcohol
- Abuse of swearing.

I'm very open minded about most things, but don't expect me to have proper table manners unless we're attending some sort of proper convention/dinner.
 callmelori
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 6:07:30 AM
Helen0426 typed...
"Less luckily, there's more and more nose hair. "

OK, that cracked me up. Add ear hair to that, too. They make razors for that type of thing. :))))
 el lagarto
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/3/2009 6:35:01 AM
Someone who : * avoids eye contact when speaking to me
* comes on way too strong , without any provocation
* has obviously crooked, missing, or discolored teeth
* keeps his cell phone on during a date AND answers it if it rings
* has poor hygiene
* professes to be an expert on any subject we talk about
* smokes
* does not honor their body by keeping minimally fit
* is a bigot , and/or makes general statements about groups of people
* has a closed mind to ideas other than their own
* treats wait staff , store clerks etc. as lesser people
* meanies , pessimists , and "yes" men devoid of imagination
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/3/2009 6:41:14 AM
Racisim, chauvinism, degrading behaviour to others, stuck up, classism, phony types, people who profess to be classy....Physically, I dont have a list, I am either attracted or I am not, but have found myself attracted to many, many different types physically...its more about how they behave.
 Kennedy3
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/3/2009 7:01:21 AM
racism, misogyny, homophobia, bash their ex, rudeness to servers, texting or taking phone calls, underhanded compliments, flattery...
 Erinlove
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/3/2009 7:06:14 AM
The biggest is stupidity. Either real or stimulant enhanced. I can NOT recover from hearing a man talk like a jackass. Which brings me to anger. It scares me and I wont live with it.

I have had a hard shake with this dating thing. So if his penis works, he has no crazy ex's, he doesn't talk about his ex constantly and he is drug and alcohol free. I will try to look the other way on some less important details.
But if you fart in public, I am out lol.. Unless it was an accident, that would be funny.

Weird about that fart in public thing, my step dad did, you'd think I'd be used to it xD
He'd even do it in supermarket lines, he would raise his leg and shout "excuse me" and laugh. He was an idiot. I told him to grow up when I was four.
 btg22
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/3/2009 8:04:31 AM
- Dishonesty
- Narcissism
- Arrogance
- Racism
- Profanity
 smileatjen
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/3/2009 8:45:04 AM
drug users, smokers, clingy men, dishonesty, people who lie about what they look like
 Fa que
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/3/2009 9:02:53 AM
To turn me OFF... all you have to do is;

Lie

Give me the truth, no matter how gruesome, difficult, odd, or disturbing it may be. I can handle the truth.

Lie to me,and you have lost me completely.
 OneMoreNutt
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/3/2009 9:08:25 AM
It turns me off when someone interrupts me - then takes over the conversation as if what I was trying to say wasn't important.

It turns me off when someone is judgmental.

It turns me off when someone attempts to control me.

It turns me off when someone thinks and acts like they know more than they actually do.

Good lord, the list goes on and on and on....
 King Of Causality
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/3/2009 10:25:21 AM
^^^ Great list. I will add to it the people who, while being in a one-on-one conversation, neglect to turn off their phones, or worse yet, will answer their phones and then proceed to talk-it-up while ignoring the actual company they're in.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What someone does that really turn you off?