Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > GPS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mainey
Msg: 1
GPS Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am thinking about getting a GPS but I have heard people complaining about them and also heard people rave about them. I was wondering if the good people of the forum world could give me some feedback on brands, makes and models that you may have experience with. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
 dj181
Msg: 2
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 11:14:44 AM
the garmin navman series are pretty good....but personally i would go for the new tomtom or mio units. i actually have an older asus gps that works well for what i need it for tho......the main thing to look for is receiver sensitivity and ease of updating maps
 NotWiltedYet
Msg: 3
view profile
History
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 1:11:31 PM
I think the good old Refidex is the way to go hate any GPS system they don't get updated enough they are a distraction while driving been nearly taken out on a bike and in my car because the driver of the car was looking at his stupid GPS they are no good at the moment as they do not have all the upgrades of the roads occurring now and are useless in and around the greater CBD....they take you the main roads and usually the long way (more petrol wasted and we can all afford that) why do you think most cabbies have them in their cabs apart from not been able to understand your directions they can rip people off (and it has been proven many times) but in saying all that if you buy a really expensive one it will probably have a feature where you can update from the internet instead of downloading from a disc. Unlike most people I have a greater knowledge of the Brisbane area but if I don't know where I'm heading I get out my trusty refidex and actually look it up.

I'd hang off Mainy till all the tunnels and roads have been upgraded and the GPS systems have been made better.
 Spella
Msg: 4
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 3:51:37 PM
I use a gps every day for work, they save me so much time as a sales rep.

Yes I agree with all the road works going on in Brisbane, the maps are sometimes out of date, but that doesnt faze me cause the gps units just correct themselves.

In regards to brands, I have heard from friends that the navman are suppose to be the best and friendliest to use.
But in saying so, my work one is a aldi special and has always taken me to the right place every single time.
My personal one which was won as a prize is a Binatone a brand carried by Big W and that works really well as well.
I think it comes down to how many features you want and how tech savvy you are.
 greynomad43
Msg: 5
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 4:48:56 PM
I've got one, I'm sure the brand's called female.
I'ts allways talking to me,......."slow down stupid"
...."wrong way dopey"..... "that was a red light"
...."wher'd ya get yer licence? ..outa the cornflakes pack?"
Yep cheap n nasty, but always gets me there.
 soulmate08
Msg: 6
view profile
History
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 4:57:14 PM
^^^^^^
no that's your mother in law!!!!!!!!..... look under the back seat..
looks like shes slid down it........ and got lost again...

Op.. just be careful..... if you hear of a mobile ph with gps.. I saw on a current affair.. this poor truckie guy.. buy one .. to use the gps for work..
thinking from the wording of the ad.. the gps was free.. and could download from online etc.. (can check facts on aca website/story.. for exactness. if interested)..
anyhoo. he blissfully drove around using it..... and the mobile ph..gps... bill went into thousands..upon thousands..
edit.. a friend and her hubby recently used gps in a usa rd trip... she was stoked.. instead of yelling at her for giving him the wrong bloody directions.. he yelled at the gps.. constantly.. which made her laugh..non stop..
gps could save marriages..
peace
 dont have one
Msg: 7
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 5:22:15 PM
As with all things modern and technical, its going to be out of date by the time you get home any way
Have an early model phone one which is free to use but its always a mystery trip as I never now if im going to get to where I want to go, can add to the fun of the trip tho
Ease of use and upgrades are probably the best things to look for and most run the same map softwear so it could end up by just how darn good it looks stuck on your windscreen
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 8
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 6:11:02 PM
OP, what you need is the new 'DadQuest'.

Just have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-GKwiaWTjQ
 Naamah
Msg: 9
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 6:24:09 PM
If I was gonna buy one, it would have to have a nice deep, slightly rough, male voice...for my listening pleasure.

Actually I've been told by an old school friend that the chick who did the voice recordings for GPS (not sure if all brands are the same or if she just does one of them) is someone I used to go to primary school with...Karen Jacobsen. She also did the voice recording for that thing where a text message converts to a voice message on your phone, whatever that's called. And as a kid she was always really scared of animals...so if you drive past a dog or somethin' don't be surprised if your GPS screams.
 dj181
Msg: 10
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 7:01:26 PM
im pretty sure that is her name naamah......she was actually on nova a couple of days ago...she got the job while in the usa doing some voice over work and now has her voice on gps units everywhere lol 50 hours of recording different phrases, words, letters and numbers lol
 Faux Pa
Msg: 11
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 8:08:37 PM
I reckon they're good. I bought the TomTom application for my phone and it seems to work really well. I used it on my last jaunt to Brizvegas and I tell ya . . I would never have found my way through that maze of freeway that now leads into Brizzy without it.
The last time I travelled that road it was pretty easy to just go through Ipswich and follow your nose to get to the north side via Toowong etc. It'll even find places that aren't on the map . . which is of course why Naamah includes the latitude and longitude co-ordinates on her invitations.

. . is someone I used to go to primary school with...Karen Jacobsen

Nah . . must be a different chick. The one I'm using is 'Jane' . . a plumby voiced English chick . . sounds a bit like Hilly in a good mood.
I'm really awaiting the John Cleese voice to make the experience complete, but Jane is eeeeever so polite, though.
 Huntingwulf
Msg: 12
view profile
History
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 8:28:41 PM
Never used one, but with my sense of direction I'd probably still get lost. On the bright side, getting lost tends to turn my trips into mini adventures, never know where I'll end up.
 coffee/tea_and_advice
Msg: 13
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 8:59:27 PM
Has anyone got that GPS THING from Vodafone called Compass, costs $8 a month, and somehow when you use it, all your friends know where you are, where you are going and how long you stayed there!????? why???
It has a good right up in CNET......it was on my old phone for about 5 hours until I updated the phone, then it dissappeared! I prefer to use my Urban Street Directory, where I plot my course before I leave, with a note stuck to the steering wheel, something like this,
3 turn left after red light at South Street....... look for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxstreet with no etc.
but then I am old fashioned, and hate John Cleese, saying......You are going to have to carry your own baggage, as you should have turned left 6 miles back, turn left now and you will etc etc....( on my daughters GPS when we went up to Mt Glorious for lunch with you Brisbanites in May last year>>>>>> cheers)
 JustJase
Msg: 14
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 10:02:19 PM
Map Making and Cartography, been around for over 5000 years. If it aint broke, dont fix it
 Naamah
Msg: 15
GPS
Posted: 9/4/2009 11:53:29 PM

Nah . . must be a different chick.

http://www.ozmusicscene.com/melting-moments-karen-jacobsen/
http://www.abc.net.au/oztrax/stories/s1520603.htm
That's the girl my pet peach faced lovebird used to love to terrorise until she'd sit rocking in a corner saying "turn left at the next roundabout...turn right at the next intersection..." It was clearly destiny that she become the GPS girl.

The one I'm using is 'Jane' . . a plumby voiced English chick . . sounds a bit like Hilly in a good mood.
So that's where she went eh? I guess then I have met 2 GPS chicks.
 Rob_SA
Msg: 16
GPS
Posted: 9/5/2009 1:54:17 AM
A friend has the John Cleese voice. It's fun. They were saying on the radio the other day that Bob Dylan is doing the voice for one of the GPS systems. I think after the first few corners I'd be switching to something else.

Felicity Kendall back in the Good Life days would be a nice accent. Hugh Grant would be nice and clear and precise. The worst candidates would be John Howard, Bob Hawke, Jeannie Little, or Hughesy. :-(
 oolalagirl
Msg: 17
GPS
Posted: 9/5/2009 2:08:00 AM
Navman is rubbish!

Get a Tomtom, easy to use, simple simple simple!
 Gem n Al
Msg: 18
GPS
Posted: 9/5/2009 2:26:59 AM
If you are really not into maps and the refidex, a gps would be the way to go. I used one once in Ireland when I was driving around on my own. Beats stopping every now and again to check a map when you are time limited. That said, I was totally lost in Dublin and ended up asking a local. After that it worked fine until I was heading back to the car hire depot and the system crashed..... I had become so dependant on it, I didn't think to look at the maps I had and was panicing about where I was until I stopped to get fuel and asked!
As others have said, go with what is easiest to upgrade maps and ease of use... ask for the Brad Pitt version maybe.
Gem
 okimgame
Msg: 19
GPS
Posted: 9/5/2009 3:11:06 AM
I have a Navig8r which is pretty good, though I rarely use it. I still look up the trip on Google Maps or Whereis before i have to go. Have still managed to make a wrong turn or missed a turned, and it just recalculates the trip and gets you back on track, unlike my sisters which insists she do an immediate uturn.

You can program it to avoid the toll, take you the shortest/quickest way. Also tells you when your speeding, and when a red light camera is coming up. (really helpful) it cost around $150, but that was on special.

I think James Earl Jones would be nice to listen to, he could break into Darth Vader voice when if you started going the wrong way, or Sam Elliot's deep southern draul, maybe not wouldn't be able to concentrate on driving. lol
 Mainey
Msg: 20
GPS
Posted: 9/6/2009 4:44:02 AM
Thanks guys for all your advice, it has definately helped.

Gem I am thinking about getting one because I am sick of attempting to pull over sometimes in busy areas to read the map again, so pretty much just for the ease of it.

Some funny responses here too, I never thought about the voice being so important,, but yes it could either be annoying, distracting ( in a good way) or just plain entertaining lol.
 Beachippy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
GPS
Posted: 9/6/2009 5:07:32 AM
I just wish businesses would number their buildings so someone driving by looking for them can actually see the number clearly....

reading maps and remembering where to go isn't the problem.... it's when you get there the street numbers are impossible to find...

it only takes a few minutes to pull over to read a street directory if you get a bit lost...
and safer for other motorists....
than arguing with a GPS unit and trying to drive...
 Prakticle
Msg: 22
GPS
Posted: 9/6/2009 7:26:19 AM
Step one: drive in the basic direction
Step two: hit the suburb you need
Step three: pull over and ask a woman how to get there

she will definitely tell you where to go!
 Ulyssian
Msg: 23
GPS
Posted: 9/6/2009 10:54:47 PM
Hi All..................

Some interesting experiences and comments here, mostly from people that don't have a lot of knowledge re: GPS units.

they are no good at the moment as they do not have all the upgrades of the roads occurring now and are useless in and around the greater CBD....

Well, I agree with the comment, however, they will never have the upgrades until they are finished building the upgrades, which seems pretty logical to me !!!

As for useless in the CBD, can't agree with that as they even know where the street address is !!!

I have had GPS from the start, first unit ( only just replaced ) was a Palm based system and was brilliant, kept a list of where I'd been and could get me anywhere, however, the maps got outta date and I chose to not update them as I could use whereis to find the exact location in new area's. This unit ( Garmin ) even had the ability to store and use Navigational Charts and was extremely accurate ( within a coupla metres ) which was awesome when used on the boat !!!

I got a free Tom Tom Rider when I purchased a motorbike nearly 4 years ago, this has bluetooth to a speaker system in my helmet, it can answer the phone while I ride and even play music, the music is turned down automatically whenever the GPS has an instruction or the phone rings, then turns the music back up afterwards. Tom Tom updated there Rider model to a Mark II version, they swapped mine over as the electrical connection had never been that great, since having this updated unit, they have updated the firmware to provide new features and functions ( the last firmware upgrade actually saved my license as I was booked for doing 113kph in a 70kph zone, and the GPS proved I had not exceeded 103 kph all day )

Yes the maps do go out of date, however, you can update them for a limited period online, I have just downloaded the latest maps to my Tom Tom and it has been updated in the last week as well, you can choose various voices and accents, however, I got the John Cleese voice which makes jokes with the directions and is very entertaining.

I replaced the Garmin in the car with a Uniden which includes the latest maps for Australia and NZ, is able to be updated online, answers the phone, remembers my favourite places, can even tell me where the nearest ATM or Petrol Station or Maccas or just about anything else you might need is ................. Seems the GPS companies are now including business's for the whole of Australia, where ever you are, you just go into the menu and tell it you want the nearest ( whatever, any business ) and it will tell you where it is and how to get there, a Refidex certainly can't do that....................

After 5 years experience with 3 brands of GPS, on 3 different types of vehicle, I would have to say I will never use a Refidex ever again, for a one time subscription, I can even get a facility where the GPS is able to look ahead, if it see's a congestion or accident or any problem, it will automatically guide the user around it, all on its own !!!

It even measures the distances down all the possible routes, then compares that with the legal speeds allowed on those roads, and gives you the quickest or shortest route based on your preferences, should you be stoopid enough to miss a turning, it will instantly recalculate and provide you with a new route without screaming and yelling.

I can even make a map correction on my GPS, the next time I connect online to update it, it gets my update and gives that to everyone else, how good is that ? It even knows where the Speed camera's ( Sorry safety camera's ) are, it knows where the schools are and the speed limits, it contains the speed limits for most roads and should I accidentley exceed the limit, it then announces in a perfectly straight voice, "You are exceeding the speed limit"

It has traffic light camera locations and warns me as I approach, these are all safety features, you don't even need to look at the screen as everything is announced, or you can turn that feature off, its all a matter of choice !!!

Therefore my advice is: Get a GPS, know where everything is and keep it updated, if you need special functions, then look for those functions in the different brands, LONG LIVE GPS !!!

Hilly1971
Msg: 24
GPS
Posted: 9/8/2009 5:37:09 PM

a plumby voiced English chick . . sounds a bit like Hilly in a good mood.

Hilly is never in a good mood.
Personally though I reckon I would make a pretty good GPS chick...it would liven up the drive at least.

At the next set of lights, turn left. I said left you twot, do you not know the difference between left and right? Did you go to school?
Ohh, ohh....Macca's....can we stop?
Take the second exit at the roundabout. Not sure how far up the road it is, but it looks like a small one so just drive over it, we will get there quicker that way.
I need to pee really bad.....can we stop?
This music is sh1te.
You do realise this is an 80 zone don't you?....yeah....well why are you going at 70 then you tool?
Its still orange.....you can make it......oops!
Can I smoke in here?
God, have you farted?

Are we there yet??

Might go and polish up my resume and give it a bash.
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 25
GPS
Posted: 9/8/2009 5:53:09 PM
Many of the satelites are in an aged(and dying state), and are due to be de-commed(or some such), or just fizzle out..., trouble is, no plans or very delayed plans to replace them.

So currant GPS system could be less accurate in the not to distant future....,
...., also in the past when a world wide conflict or threat has occured...., or the US thinks this it's happening the system could be shut down, de/re calibrated...., can amongst other things cause lots of fishing vessels(and others) to go bump...., sometimes in the night.

actually...., just get yourself an Iphone and purchase the AP...., you get so much more bang for your buck.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > GPS