Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does it mean when a women says she "occasionally" smokes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ContinuallyCurious
Msg: 1
What does it mean when a women says she "occasionally" smokes?Page 1 of 1    
I've seen this on a lot of profiles, and I understand (somewhat) that some people only smoke when they are drinking... but does this always apply? I just don't understand how you can "occasionally" smoke... you either do or you don't, right?
 lucky_md
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does it mean when a women says she occasionally smokes?
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:26:27 AM
Well, for me it means; I have one first thing in the morning along with a cup of tea. I have another at lunch break and a couple at nighttime. Yes, also while drinking as well. But, also for me it means I because of the small amount I smoke and it's more of a social thing, it's more of a hassle than a pleasure and I don't see it in my future plans.
 Rich7474
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:29:39 AM
For many women (and men), smoking "occasionally" is exactly what it implies.

I've had dates who only smoke while drinking; some that only smoke a few per day; and then I've had some that only smoke around other smokers. Some people actually do limit their smoking in all of the above circumstances, hence the "occasionally" tag.
 *army mom*
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:41:37 AM
As a reformed smoker, I tend to agree with you = either you do or you don't.

I think the reason people put that on their profiles is that it doesn't seem quite so socially unacceptable as being a continuous smoker. Sadly, most of them think a pack a day is "occasional" ...
 dub08
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:42:45 AM
Same as it means when a man says it I suppose.

Although this 'only smoke when drinking' thing is a bit of an excuse now. All the pubs here are non-smoking so you would have to go and stand outside to smoke in the rain. Not worth it in my opinion but then Im not a smoker so maybe it is.
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:43:09 AM
^^^^My bet is on army mom's answer.....I was in profile review once and saw somebody change from "often" to "occasional" when people said that wouldnt date a smoker...

Best to assume the person is full of b.s. similar to the "few extra pounds" being a 100...
 adventurousme57
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:51:00 AM
Whether a person smokes "occassionally" or "often" is the same in my book.

Gross and stinky.
 happyrebel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 8:52:51 AM
Maybe she only smokes after satisfying sex? So unless she has sex 30 times a day, that would be occasional, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, of all of the smokers I know, there is only one that ONLY smokes while drinking. So for her, its only 1-3 times a week, not everyday. Being a smoker, I agree with the others.....Either you smoke OR you DON'T. If someone doesn't want to date a smoker, why date a woman that even has 'occasionally' on their profile? Makes no sense to me. If I was the woman, I would want someone accepting of me and my faults.

HR
 feistyredangel
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:02:48 AM
Well I have occassionally on my profile because it seems to hit me in times of extreme stress. Case in point, my mother passed away in June and I started smoking. Yeah not the best way to deal with stress but it's my way because I know I can quit. Which that is where I am now, with only smoking a couple a day until I am at the point to quit completely.
 *november babee*
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 10:01:07 AM
for me as few as one per month means you smoke too much.. (for me..)
and would be an instant deal breaker...

i dont want the entire world to stop smoking, but for me, it would be a no-no.. i dont want to be kissing a smoker, or to be kissed by a smoker.. and even one cig a month is a smoker..

i know a guy who put occasionally on his profile as he had only just given up, few weeks, and couldnt truthfully say he has stopped for good.. so put occasional.. which i think is fair enough..
 rune3
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/14/2009 10:02:20 AM
Probably that she doesn't light use the current cigarette to light the next one...
I would say it's meaningless: like "a few extra pounds" or "drinks socially", it's far too open to misinterpretation.
 diamondgirl2727
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/14/2009 10:36:07 AM
That means we can take it or leave it. Not everyone is an addicted chain smoker who has to have a ciggarette or they will go off the deep end. I occaisionally smoke, its mostly a social thing. I can go weeks without even thinking about it. I never smoke in my home because of the smell, and I can't stand being somewhere where there is little ventilation and a lot of smoke. I also hate having to defend myself to the self rightous non smokers.
 LOVESTRUCK_wannabe
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/14/2009 11:02:36 AM
I only know what it means on my own profile and it's pretty clear. In the checkbox for smoking cigarettes it says I smoke often. In the interests it says I smoke pot occasionally.

One is daily and the other once in a while.
 jasrobi
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 11:12:02 AM
The ones who put "occasionally" are in denial. If you smoke once a day or once every 20 minutes, you smoke often. No thank-you!
 ContinuallyCurious
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/14/2009 11:57:54 AM
So it's different to everyone? Almost like a matter of interpretation?
I'm just as confused now...
 myrgth
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 12:32:04 PM
Yes, it is a matter of interpretation and the best way to know is to ask.

You come across a profile of someone that interests you, ask them within a few emails. I'm sure they will be happy to clarify.

For it, it means it's an occasional thing depending upon my inclination but most importantly it means that I will not smoke around you if you are a non smoker.
 sugarspice28
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:31:30 PM
If you don't wish to date a smoker period, then just do advance search on 'smoking - NO' :)
 jumpinjono
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:46:11 PM
think that occasional smoker means , someone whos not addicted and can take it or leave it , mostly choosing to while drinking !!
 cheerilystrawberry
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:09:22 PM
Occasionally means occasionally.

Nothing wrong with the odd cigar.
 ticka
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:21:45 PM
i quit over 2 years ago, but if i have a drink, i like a smoke... so no it doesn't apply only to people who like one while drinking
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does it mean when a women says she "occasionally" smokes?