Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > verenica (german style perogie)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 1
view profile
History
verenica (german style perogie)Page 1 of 1    
Grew up making and eating Verenica (not sure of spelling). A german style perogie. Bigger and no potato in the fillings. Dough was very basic but I just can not remember the proportions. I have tried some of the perogie dough recipes and they just do not come out the same.

From childhood memory the dough had

All purpose flour
Salt
Egg Whites ( know the yoke went in with dry cottage cheeze for one of the fillings)
Milk? warm? cold?
water? warm? cold?

Dough was rolled out and cut into approx 4 inch squares filling placed in middle folded corner to corner and pressed to seal. Then boiled dropped in salted boiling water.

Everything I try comes out either to dry and not sticky enough to seal or way to sticky and not stiff enough to role out.

I canned crab apples for a fruit filling last year and now can not get the dough right.

Anyone have any ideas as once I get it right there is nothing better than verencia and thick cream gravy.

Assistance is appreciated
 ~curlygirl~
Msg: 2
verenica (german style perogie)
Posted: 9/17/2009 9:24:28 PM
i spoke with my parents who are immigrants from Germany & Austria, "verenica" isn't anything which they're familiar with. however, i suspect that you may be referring to Ukrainian dumplings called varenyky. i don't have a kitchen-tested recipe that i can personally recommend, but a google search will yield a good selection for you to experiment with.
 wishful.sinful
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/18/2009 8:08:58 AM
Voreniki

4 eggs
1 cup whipping cream
3 cups milk
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
10 cups white flour

Fillings:

1)2 cups dry cottage cheese with a raw egg to bind, and salt to taste

2)2 cups mashed potato (optional with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese) and salt.

3)fresh strawberries chopped into small pieces recently, so not too juicy, with 1/2 tsp. sugar added before sealing the dough.

Place a large pot on stove to boil.
Beat eggs, milk, cream and salt together. Add flour and baking powder. Knead well, must not be sticky. Cut off pieces that are about 1 1/2" balls and roll out lightly into a circle about 3". Place 1 tbsp. of filling onto each piece. Stretch the pastry over and seal together the edges very tightly, using floured fingers. While making the others, the completed ones can be placed onto cookie pans, but they must be placed on a floured surface to prevent sticking and must be well floured if they will be touching.
*When dropped into the water they take a minute to float, and then must cook for another three minutes.

*These can be frozen raw and if not done correctly will stick together and be unusable. The proper method is to freeze on cookie sheets and then when hard they are placed togther in freezer bags.
Cook while still frozen, and begin the 3 minutes when they are floating. Leftovers are eaten fried.

Eat with melted butter and sour cream, with fried onions on the side.
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 9:32:04 PM
I should have said Germanic. Not sure if it came via my Mennonite Prussian or dutch heritage or my Swedish heritage or that my mother learned it from some other source.
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 9:42:58 PM
I will try this dough recipe it is different from what I remember. My mothers recipe only used the egg white as the yoke were mixed with the dry cottage cheese. That I remember for sure as we got to separate the egg yoke from the white.

The dry cottage cheese filling was a staple but my favorites were rhubarb and crab apple. Rhubarb filling was raw chopped red rhubarb and sugar. The crab apple was generally made in winter from canned crab apples.

Canning crab apples now for this winter.

Never had strawberry. The apple we often used the crab apple syrup and the others was a heavy cream gravy made from pork fat drippings flour and heavy fresh cream.
 ~curlygirl~
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/20/2009 11:23:25 PM
i found a recipe online for a fruit dumpling which incorporates cottage cheese in the dough -- it's a Czech/Slovak variety, and the dough ingredients seem similar to what you described earlier. i have not kitchen-tested the recipe given below. i'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but i hope the recipe helps : )

FRUIT-FILLED CZECH/SLOVAK DUMPLINGS

20 to 25 plums, apricots or peaches
1 pound cottage cheese or cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
4 whole eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons farina
enough flour to make a soft dough (approx 2 1/4 cups)
20 to 25 plums, apricots or peaches
Melted butter to taste (about 1 stick)

Wash fruit well and set aside. Beat the cheese and butter until blended. Mix in the eggs, farina and flour.

Cut or pinch off even-sized pieces of dough, about the size of a Ping-Pong ball (larger if using peaches). Pat or roll to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Place fruit in the center, seal edges to keep in filling during cooking.

Bring several quarts of water to a rapid boil in a large pot. Add a little salt. Slide dumplings into the water one by one, cover pot and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until dumplings rise to the top.

Drain well. Serve with melted butter spooned on top. May also add bread crumbs or chopped nuts.

Makes 20 to 25 servings.

p.s. my mom makes a similar type of plum dumpling which incorporates pototo, not cottage cheese in the dough, and she also puts a sugar cube in the center of the pitted plums to make the dumpling sweet and syrupy on the inside.
 ~curlygirl~
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/21/2009 6:13:20 PM
Reading over your posts, I noticed that you mentioned that the cottage cheese was in the filling not the dough, and that you describe egg yolk being added to the filling as well. I've found another recipe which may interest you (again, I have not kitchen-tested this recipe myself).

UKRAINIAN DESSERT VARENYKY (Dumplings)

4-6 Servings

Dough:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
2 egg whites, beaten to a froth (to seal the dumplings)

Cheese Filling:
1 lb. large-curd cottage or pot cheese
1/2 tbsp. sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. melted butter, cooled
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups sour cream
4 tbsp. melted butter, hot

Cherry Filling:
1-1/2 lb. fresh sour cherries, pitted
1/3 cup sugar

Blueberry Filling:
1 pint blueberries
4 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. fresh, strained lemon juice

Directions:

FOR THE DOUGH: Pour the flour into a large mixing bowl and make a deep well in the center. Add in the egg, milk and salt. With your fingers or a large spoon, slowly mix the flour into the liquid ingredients, then mix vigorously until the dough is stiff enough to be gathered into a compact ball. If the dough crumbles add additional 1 to 2 teaspoons of milk to make the particles adhere. Dust the ball with flour, wrap in wax paper, and chill 30 minutes.

FOR THE CHEESE FILLING: Purée the cheese in a food mill, or rub it with the back of a large spoon through a sieve set over a bowl. Then beat in the sugar, egg yolk, melted butter and salt, and stir in 1 cup of the sour cream, 1/ 4 cup at a time -- reserving the remaining cup of sour cream to serve with the finished dumplings later. Continue to stir until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Taste for seasoning; if you prefer the filling sweeter, stir additional sugar.

FOR THE FRUIT FILLING: Spread half the fruit in the bottom of a 1-quart enameled or stainless steel saucepan. Sprinkle with half the sugar, then make similar layers of the remaining fruit and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over moderate heat for 3 to 5 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out as many circles as possible with a 3 1/2-to 4-inch cookie cutter. Then gather the remaining scraps into a ball, roll out again, and cut out additional circles. With a pastry brush, coat each circle with a light film of the beaten egg white. Drop 1 tablespoon of the cheese or 1 teaspoon of fruit on the lower half of each circle. Bring the exposed half of the circle up over the filling and press all around the dough firmly with the back of a fork. Make certain that the edges are thoroughly sealed to prevent the filling from seeping through. Set aside, loosely covered with a towel, until ready to cook.

Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil in a 5- to 6-quart pot and drop in 6 dumplings. Lower the heat and simmer the dumplings uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they float to the surface of the water. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a heated platter. Cover loosely with foil to keep them hot while you cook the remaining dumplings similarly.

To serve, arrange the dumplings on a heated platter and moisten them with the hot melted butter. If you have used the fruit filling, serve the dumplings with cherry or blueberry juice. The cheese-filled dumplings are customarily served with the remaining cup of sour cream.
 Cowboy
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/21/2009 7:09:42 PM
This would be the mennonite version....
From a site called Mennonite Girls Can Cook

Wareneki (The W is pronounced as a V)
3/4 cup whipping cream
4 egg whites. . .beaten until soft peaks form
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
about. . 2 1/2 cups of flour
Whip the egg whites in a large grease free bowl. . . add the whipping cream and the baking powder and the salt.

Add the flour a bit at a time. . I did mine in my KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook. . .but it can easily be accomplished with a spoon.

Continue to add a bit of flour at a time until you have a soft dough but stiff enough to roll out.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or so . .make the filling.

Cottage Cheese Filling

500 grams. . .or about 2 cups of dry cottage cheese
the egg yolks from the eggs above
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix together with a pastry blender or put it all in the food processor and mix until the cottage cheese is finely ground. . not pureed.

Roll the dough out. . .on a slightly floured counter. Add a bit more flour if it is sticky.

Now. . you can either start at the top of you dough. . about 2 inches down. . and plop a teaspoon of filling every three inches. . leaving room between. . then fold the dough down and use a glass to cut out half moons. . and pinch them shut. .

Or. . just use a glass and cut out rounds and then use a small teaspoon and put a bit of filling on your dough and then fold in half and pinch shut. . try not to get filling in the area you are pinching shut. . this is a potential. . open in the bath escape area.

Put them on a floured parchment papered cookie sheet and keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to boil them. . or. . freeze them on a cookie sheet to use another day .. I always tuck a few away. . .don't' tell my family that. . my beloved and I have a private party a few days later. . .

Now. . ..about the plum wareneki. . just slice the plums in half and then depending on how large you are making them. . slice them in half again. . and put them into the dough and pinch shut. .

I don't bother to flour them unless I use frozen plums. . they are a bit trickier to stuff and I find a little flour keeps them less leaky.

About 20 minutes before you are ready to eat. .

Put a large pot of water on to boil. . add a teaspoon of salt.

Start the sauce. . I know there are many various favorite sauces for wareneki. .but we still love the simple sauce of 1 cup of whipping cream to 1/4 cup butter. . bring to a boil and simmer a few minutes until it thickens. . .depending on how much you love your sauce . . you may need to make a double recipe of this.

Gently put the wareneki in the boiling water and bring it back to the boiling point. Boil only a few minutes. Once the wareneki are floating they are done. .

Drain in a colander. . gently. . and serve. . a little melted butter helps to keep them from sticking. . we generally eat them too quickly to let them stick. .

I also saute some onions. . caramelized are quite yummy on the cottage cheese ones.
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:15:51 PM
This is the closest to my memory yet. Your description of whipping the egg whites triggered a memory of needing to do this. Everything pretty much matches my foggy memory except for the cream in the dough still seem to remember it being milk (whole unpasturized from the cow)

Fillings are different however but only slightly for the Cottage Cheeze filling. None of ours were cooked before hand. The rhubarb was raw and the crab apple was cooked only from canning. The rhubarb was cut small mixed with sugar and cooked in the pockets.

Thanks for the help.
 hlravct
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 6:27:01 PM
I know these things as Knoedel or Knetliky Austrian or Czech Doesn't matter what they are called. Delicious I made some two nights ago using MiLaws recipe. Good on yer Geni!
harry
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > verenica (german style perogie)