Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Roman Polanski Arrested      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 1
Roman Polanski ArrestedPage 1 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland 31 years after fleeing trial.

For 31 years he lived as the world's most celebrated fugitive, feted by his peers in the film industry while on the run from American police after admitting having sex with a child.

But, it was revealed today, the past has finally caught up with Roman Polanski. The film director was arrested in Switzerland on Saturday on a decades-old warrant relating to the rape of a 13-year-old girl in 1977.

The 76-year-old director of Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown pleaded guilty to the assault at the time but jumped bail and fled the US the following year to avoid a lengthy jail sentence. For more than three decades he has lived in exile in Paris, refusing to return to the US even when he won an Oscar in 2002 for The Pianist.

Zurich police said he was detained at immigration in Zurich on Saturday night at the request of the US justice department and was in custody awaiting extradition.

Polanski was 44 and already a twice-Oscar-nominated director in March 1977 when he had sex with Samantha Gailey, a 13-year-old model he had hired for a photoshoot, at Jack Nicholson's house in Los Angeles. He has argued that the sex was consensual, saying the girl was "not unresponsive", though Gailey said he drugged her with painkillers and champagne before carrying out a "very scary" assault.

The director pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse in a deal with prosecutors that saw them drop charges of rape, drugging and sodomy, which could have carried a life sentence, but fled the country in February 1978 when it became apparent that he was likely to serve time in prison.

Polanski's arrest is the latest twist in an extraordinary life that has been marked by violence, tragedy and controversy. His family returned to Poland shortly before the outbreak of the second world war and were forced into the Krakow ghetto with thousands of other Jewish families. The young Polanski escaped from the ghetto in 1943, but his parents were shipped to concentration camps, and his mother was murdered in Auschwitz.

Polanski married American actor Sharon Tate in 1968, but the following year, when eight months pregnant with his baby, she and four other people were brutally murdered by members of Charles Manson's "family".

In recent months, lawyers for Polanski have been seeking through the US courts to have the rape charges against him dropped, after new evidence emerged in a documentary that, they argued, showed he was a victim of "judicial misconduct" at his original trial. The film showed a former Los Angeles deputy district attorney admitting discussing the case with the trial judge while it was ongoing.

In February a Los Angeles judge agreed that "substantial … misconduct" had taken place during the original court proceedings, but said he could not drop the charges so long as Polanski remained a fugitive. Polanski has since appealed against the ruling, insisting he would not voluntarily return to the US even to clear his name.

I wonder............will he actually serve time and, if so, for how long?

Thoughts?

^^BG^^
 jack-d-ripper
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 9:31:40 PM

Interesting how this goes doe just after Atkins dies...

The Story I heard..........He split because he did not trust the Judge with the Plea he had entered...

Chances ...anyone wants to reopen .... slim.

The Victim has wanted this to end years ago.....

andy1961
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 9:47:23 PM
I really hope they ship Polanski back to the USA to serve the long awaited sentence, for the charge he pled guilty to!

The fact is he's a paedophile like any other adult who has sex with a 13 year old child.

What sickens me is the fact that a lot of his so-called high powered, celebrity friends, have for 32 years brushed the whole incident to one side as if it never happened!

Meanwhile the french will happily kick out migrants on a daily basis whilst allowing a wealthy fugitive - guilty of the crime he committed - to live in luxury with no remorse whatsoever!

Shame on the lot of them.
 Byrd
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:02:31 PM
I think everyone involved in this case she be breaded fried and eaten by Godzilla he is the only one who has the true right to judge Roman Polanski.
 white_flag
Msg: 5
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:32:57 PM
I find it interesting that his victim has said she doesn't believe he should go to jail. After all, it has been 30 years and no one else has accused him of anything but her (so she says) and she believes he's sorry and realizes it was a mistake.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think there's a difference between a pedophile who continually assaults kids and a guy who had sex with a 13-year-old. In some countries, 14 is the age of consent so what's the huge difference between 13 and 14? Cloudy reasoning, I know but my point being, I don't think he's on the same level as, let's say, Clifford Olsen.

He still deserves jail time, but I'd be hard pressed to classify him in the same group as other more prolific pedophiles.
 WantaSmart1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:36:49 PM
I wonder if this story from this past Feburary has something to do with the curious timing of the arrest. The Atkins connection is also timely. Polanski has been to Switzerland repeatedly since he fled back to his birth country of France. He hasn't exactly been sneaking in all that time. Note that Anjelica Huston (sp?) stated at the time that the victim could have been anywhere from 13 to 25.

It does sound like judicial as well as prosecutorial misconduct as alleged. Both the judge and the prosecutor who "had his ear" sounded like a couple of jagoffs. It's guys like those who give all the rest a very bad name. With DA Wells retired and the narcissistic judge kicked off, the current judge sounds like he might honor the original plea agreement.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/17/polanksi.fugitive.hearing/index.html
 jack-d-ripper
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:54:04 PM

Didn't Charlie Chaplin had a few problems with young girls....

How about stage mothers wanting a star....

watch "Toddlers & Tiaras"....

I remember pictures of the 13 year old.... She did not look like a 13 year old....

andy1961
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:01:13 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think there's a difference between a pedophile who continually assaults kids and a guy who had sex with a 13-year-old.

Well I'm certainly not going to flame you s/slave, as you make a fair point.

Certainly in the UK - particularly under scottish law - you would definitely do jail time and be put on the Sex Offenders list, for a one off crime such as this.

I don't know how it works under Californian law, but he should at the very least get jail time.

(I've got a horrible feeling though he'll be heading back to Paris, thanks to his lawyers!)
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 9
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:21:11 PM
I believe he was mad with grief when he had sex with the young girl. He'd been heavily into quaaludes after Sharon Tate was murdered; I don't think he was fully in control of his mind.
There have been no other cases since then and, as has been said, the victim has campaigned for years to have the charges dropped.
No good can come of this. It means the victim has to leave her home in Hawaii and her family to testify and it means Polanski's wife and children will be bereft of their husband and father.

PS: For the record, she looked just like a normal 13 year old. Whether she looked older or not is irrelevant.
 white_flag
Msg: 10
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/27/2009 11:51:41 PM
andy, he'd be doing jail time and on the SO list as well here; BC has an age of consent at 14, I believe.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 11
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 8:14:24 AM
Ah, okay. So he was living in Paris. Still, though, I thought Switzerland was neutral. I didn't know they extradited people.

Somehow I see this guy pulling a Ken Lay and dropping dead before he serves any time.
 ShabbiKid
Msg: 12
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 8:59:11 AM

I believe he was mad with grief when he had sex with the young girl. He'd been heavily into quaaludes after Sharon Tate was murdered; I don't think he was fully in control of his mind.

Sharon Tate being brutally murdered was absolutely no excuse to victimize a child...Lots of men have wives brutally murdered but they don't victimize children because of grief....

I find it interesting that his victim has said she doesn't believe he should go to jail. After all, it has been 30 years and no one else has accused him of anything but her (so she says) and she believes he's sorry and realizes it was a mistake.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think there's a difference between a pedophile who continually assaults kids and a guy who had sex with a 13-year-old. In some countries, 14 is the age of consent so what's the huge difference between 13 and 14? Cloudy reasoning, I know but my point being, I don't think he's on the same level as, let's say, Clifford Olsen.

He still deserves jail time, but I'd be hard pressed to classify him in the same group as other more prolific pedophiles.

Texas law you're azzzz is done if a man or woman has sex with an under age child.17 yrs and under...And in certain cases it's the death pentalty....
 SaharaM
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 11:09:50 AM
Texas law you're azzzz is done if a man or woman has sex with an under age child.17 yrs and under...And in certain cases it's the death pentalty....
The bit about the death penalty is incorrect with reference to rape alone, regardless of the age of the victim(s).

I believe Polanski fled the country after learning that he might be sent back to prison for an additional 48 days.

If he is returned to the US it will be interesting what that number will turn into.

At this point it is not for he victim to absolve him. He put himself on the hook with his guilty plea.
 grizzelda
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 11:24:20 AM
Here is what makes me concerned. If he isnt sentenced due to time that has passed and the fact that the victim doesnt want the whole thing dragged out again, what kind of presedence(sp?) is that setting?

Whether he was in full control or not is not an excuse, if he was that remorseful about his actions he should have stayed and accepted his punishment. If Sahara is correct about the remaining term left, I dont think this guy was all that remorseful about his actions....
 SaharaM
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 11:45:02 AM
^^ I know it seems difficult with the victim speaking out.

However, if he had fled and then been picked up a reasonable time later, no one would have thought twice about continuing with the case. The fact that he had the resources to successfully abscond for decades shouldn't necessarily change his fundamental legal status... that would smack of wealth being able to buy freedom.
 ShabbiKid
Msg: 16
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 11:49:24 AM

The bit about the death penalty is incorrect with reference to rape alone, regardless of the age of the victim(s).

I said in ceratin cases if you will reread my statement.....First offense is 25 yrs and second is life without parole ,or death...In Texas it's usually the death pentalty....In cases where the offender is 3 yrs older or more they get 2 to 20 yrs for statutory rape..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4745929.html
 SaharaM
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 12:30:29 PM

I said in ceratin cases if you will reread my statement.....First offense is 25 yrs and second is life without parole ,or death...In Texas it's usually the death pentalty....In cases where the offender is 3 yrs older or more they get 2 to 20 yrs for statutory rape.

I don't need to reread your statement. I read it carefully the first time. First of all, sentencing is not nearly as simplistic as you suggest. Secondly rape alone will not result in execution, whether it be first offense, second offense, or serial.

While I appreciate your link to an article from 2007, please understand that it is outdated. In 2008 the Supreme Court ruled that the Eighth Amendment precludes execution for a crime that does not include death unless it is a crime against the state. (Kennedy v. Louisiana).
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 18
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 1:16:01 PM
13 was way too young for him, granted, but a pedophile strictly defined is someone who primarily only fantasizes about or can only get aroused by pre-pubescent children. The term is greatly overused and misused by much of the general public. Depending upon the development of the person in question therefore, a 13 yr old is likely not pre-pubescent anymore. Again, I grant that it's far too young to be having sex with an adult. But in some countries, as I think previously noted , age of consent is as low as 14 it must be remembered. In others 16. These are children, in a sense, and yet not really "children" physically. Now, the slavering deviant going after a 7 or 8 yr old child is most definitely a pedophile. A grown man who has sex with an attractive 16 yr old girl, is a cradle robber, possibly a lecher, but not a pedo. Furthermore in this case the victim has stated for years she wishes all this to be dropped. My bet is it will be eventually, one way or the other, and IMO that is the right thing to happen. But IMO they should definitely not extradite him to the US.
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 19
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 1:29:10 PM
^^^he drugged her with quaaludes and alcohol..And 13 is still a kid whether she looks like one or not - therefore, she is considered by law incapable of deciding she wants sex as she doesn't understand the full implications.
Rethinking this, yes he should definitely be punished. But you could say his self-imposed 30-year exile was a form of punishment - it certainly has affected his ability to work in the US.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 20
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 1:56:18 PM
^^ Yes. I'm sure it has. His actions were not laudable or condonable, don't get me wrong. He could (justifiably) be in a good deal of trouble for drugging ANYone for sex, whether she was 13 , 23, or 33. I'm just saying the system (and many people) here will often (wrongly) label a person "pedo" (in the legal system for instance) if they commit ANY statutory-related offense. Whereas mental health experts and such state that a true pedophile (if the word is being used in its true sense that is) indicates someone who has a paraphilia specifically for children and therefore can become aroused (almost solely in some cases) by them. However, in all fairness, they DO oftentimes consider the break-off point for this to be 13. So, RP was certainly right on the "borderline" there. You notice for instance they now have the category, in this state at least I believe, "lewd and lascivious acts with a minor 13 or under". At the point of 14-18 the crime , while still a crime, becomes not as severe when sentencing comes into play. However, the issue of having drugged the person would certainly add a whole other element to it I'm sure.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 21
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 3:53:58 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I think there's a difference between a pedophile who continually assaults kids and a guy who had sex with a 13-year-old.

You right ...heres your flame.

there is no difference between a 13 y o girl and a four y o boy...they are both minors unable to consent to sex. That the 13 y o girl is more to "one's" liking...is not an excuse or justifcation. There is NO difference.

It doesnt matter if you have a casual contact with either or you torture either...the law sets a limit of age and doesnt give weight to "your" gentleness.

Some people cross that line, they should pay their bill, and do their time.
 JimmyPaige
Msg: 22
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 3:55:55 PM
Okay, we can bandy about the term pedo all day. Yeah, so he's not technically a pedophile, I agree with that.
But, the guy did a bad thing and skipped out.
Some say oh well he's so old now, and oh well he's so talented, and oh well Manson killed Sharon Tate and he went nuts, blah blah.

(And some say that he's getting leniency from the Jewish community/media.)

Face it, if any regular Joe drugged a 13 year old, did her in the butt, and ran....he'd be shot on sight.

A teacher friend of mine had his life destroyed when a student he failed cried rape on him. She told him that if he failed her she'd get back at him, and she did. The poor guy turned to drink and went off the deep end.
He had never ever been alone with the girl or touched her or said anything of a sexual nature. The charges were a total lie. And she must have been quite a few years older than 13 as well.
At the trial a year later the girl never even showed up, but the damage had been done.
He was completely exonerated, but his life was ruined.

Generally, this kind of crime is treated like something just short of murder....unless you're a Hollywood dignitary.
 My I
Msg: 23
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 4:47:02 PM

But you could say his self-imposed 30-year exile was a form of punishment

He directed movies and won oscars whie punishing himself. What kind of punishment would you call that? He didn't impose any punishment on himself. He imposed psychological and physical punishment on a 13 year old girl who was much, much younger than him. He treated her like a pimp treats his prostitutes.

I'm kind of shocked there are women in this thread excusing the rape of a minor from a much older man.

Time passed isn't really an issue here because he was a fugitive. Everyone would follow his lead and then return later to be released based on time lines. I don't think the courts have much of an option... he embarrassed the judicial system adn now the publicity world wide would have a feast on that same justice sytem.

As far as the logic that young teen girls are permitted to have sex in other countries, well, as they say, "When in Rome....." Polanski wasn't in Rome, if you know what I mean
 Not The Cable Guy
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 4:55:21 PM
Amazing how we all get so quickly and enthusiastically caught up in condemnation...

Where's that dude who was supposed to return?... You know, the guy who said:

"Yo, dudes and dudettes.. Those rocks you're all fixin' to chuck at the little lady there?...
Holster them for a minute, will ya?... 'Cause I just wanna ask you somethin' first...

Any one of ya'll sin-free?... If so; you can kick the safety off that piece of granite."...

I don't expect opinions will be altered much; but before casting one, I'd recommend viewing "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired"...

You can stream it free online if you're a Netflix subscriber...
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 25
Roman Polanski Arrested
Posted: 9/28/2009 6:14:53 PM

I'm kind of shocked there are women in this thread excusing the rape of a minor from a much older man.

Yes, you're right. He was 44 at the time. There was no excuse. There is no excuse.
But they should have extradited him years ago.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Roman Polanski Arrested