Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Men Over 50 and Facial Hair      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kahena
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Men Over 50 and Facial HairPage 1 of 1    
Why, oh why, can you tell me, do 90% of men over 50 sport mustaches and/or beards? A friend of mine said, "because they are too lazy to shave". Do they think it is more attractive? Personally, I find that facial hair tends to "obscure" or hide a man's true and natural good looks. And, I am not thrilled about kissing someone who's mustache is going to scratch my lip, or whose beard is going to scratch my face. I much prefer "skin to skin" contact. Is it just me? Do any other women feel this way? Can a man give me an answer to this question?
 WackMC
Msg: 2
Men Over 50 and Facial Hair
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:17:23 PM
I've had a beard continuously for over 25 years, so you tell me.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:18:52 PM
You're just going to have to become a cougar.

Apparently I still have 2 years before I have to grow a beard for instance. (hint)
 1kindMan4U
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:38:05 PM
It's simple.. dont date men with facial hair.

Dont date ANY man who doesnt offer you what you want from the getgo

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont do the:

I stood in an old-growth forest recently burned by a forest fire.. and saw an ARMOIRE

You know.. a piece of NATURAL lumber that will some sanding, some stain, some complete CHANGING of what he is..

He'll clean up nicely and become a piece of furniture I can move around the living room of my life.

PLEASE dont do that to another man. Please?
 NerdStatus
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:44:05 PM
It's the style of your generation. Look at the macho men of the time... think... Burt Renalds etc all...
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:52:04 PM
My mom says that men's hair has a tendency to crawl down with age. Down from the top of his head to the rest of his body and face.
 Kahena
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:52:57 PM
That's a good one!!! LOL
 Nerdhead26
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:57:12 PM
i grow a beard once in a while and sometimes i leave the scruff. some women dig it and find it VERY sexy and appealing. some don't... bottom line we like it and men like us really dont give a sh*t what you think.
 Krebby2001
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 10:58:58 PM
OP

Weeeelllll, lemme thank here on my ol' orange crate. In the fall, I sport a mustache and little bit of growth down under ma lower lip. Some's tha women, why, they say, I like you that way. When's I shave it all of, some's tha wome say, "why, I likes you that away." So, the reason I change from "clean shaven" to, ah, "growth" is, why, I wanna capture both "pools" ya see.

Only problem that comes around is, well, some women don't care about a lil scratchin' now and then, they see me for what's inside, not a lil scratchin' now and then. Them's the womens I'm after. Course now, when I meet the right one, why, I'm liable to get rid of ALL body hair, if that's what she prefers. And, I heard womenfolk say, "I'm liable to shave off all my body hair, ceptin the hair on my haid, for the right man, and if that's what he prefers." Lil ol 47 cent BIC shaver from Wal Mart will do the trick.

Lil scratchin' now and then, why, my ol' rottie scratches, and he seem to enjoy it.

Heard a feller say once, "I used to complain 'bout all them billboards round town. That is, until I truly listened to a man without sight." Reckon that ol blind feller had something to say.
 deepbluesee
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/30/2009 11:01:55 PM
I have my beard fashioned in a certain way for a number of reasons: the dimpled chin with hair around and half through the center is an upside down heart (broken) and the "flares" on each side are symbolic: one for a commitment to abstinence until and the other for vengeance. I was in love with someone who tried to have me killed. Didn't plan it - I guess it was just the nature of the beast 28 years ago.

I constantly get compliments on the originality of it - not that it means jack to me. If not for that, I'd prefer the clean shaven look. I'd weedwhack it off in a minute for love.
 AlseasonS
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 11:06:55 PM
I really didn't like facial hair when I was younger.I have dated men lately with facial hair and it doesn't seem to matter as long as it is kept neat and clean.But aren't we looking more into the heart than looking at facial hair.
 Kahena
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 11:15:26 PM
Yes, that's true, but if you have an immediate "turn off" to someone's appearance, it isn't that easy to look deeper. I don't think we are that different from men in that respect. If a man does't find you "attractive" he's not about to try to find your heart. Well, I suppose the best answer I got here is- don't date guys with facial hair....The problem really is that MOST of the men in my age range (the matches POF makes for me) have beards and mustaches!
 Krebby2001
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 11:27:50 PM

Yes, that's true, but if you have an immediate "turn off" to someone's appearance, it isn't that easy to look deeper. I don't think we are that different from men in that respect. If a man does't find you "attractive" he's not about to try to find your heart. Well, I suppose the best answer I got here is- don't date guys with facial hair....The problem really is that MOST of the men in my age range (the matches POF makes for me) have beards and mustaches!

Well, then, you got less men to choose from. Had a feller once tell me that he didn't like to brush his teeth on accounta them chemicals in toothpaste.

Reckon if he got foul teeth, it's of his own making. If you want to make facial hair a main criterion for finding the right one, you go right on ahead. We all have our parameters for "attraction." But again, facial hair is nothing a lil old $.47 BIC from Wal Mart wouldn't fix.
 jimmorrison4
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/1/2009 12:30:48 AM
Same reason you still see mullets, perms, and anything else that's outdated. Some people don't like change.
 OSUguy99
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/1/2009 12:47:04 AM
well whats bad for the lips on yor mouth is good for the lips down south.
 mrskippy57
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 1:18:49 AM
I grew a beard in my 20's...I weld for a living and when I had a torch back flash into my face, the beard saved me from getting burned. Kept it ever since.
 Write Time
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 2:35:39 AM
I'm clean-shaven now, but I've certainly grown a lot of beards in my days, and my reasons are:

* Because shaving is a pain. You have to keep up on it every day, and those occasional cuts really are annoying.

* Because I *can*. You get different hairstyles and fashions to amend your looks -- why can't I?

* Because people say it's attractive. For every person like you there are two people saying how much they like the look. The truth, I suspect, is somewhere in the middle. Just as many people are going to love it as hate it, so it all comes down to: What's comfortable for you and -- if you have one -- your significant other?
 farceur
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/1/2009 3:01:15 AM
One of the nice effects of not shaving off your beard is that it keeps away the women who don't like facial hair, which if a man couldn't grow a beard, for some reason, he should think about wearing a fake one just for that result. These women, and might I add, Bah, are lost in the wilderness of sex, cannot relate to masculinity unless it is tamed beyond recognition, and harbor a deep hatred for Santa Claus. They are nothing but trouble one end to the other.
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/1/2009 3:18:39 AM
I've always thought that if I were a man, I'd try everything - full beard, no beard, goatee...the lot (but not big sideburns...please...)...
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 3:59:38 AM
It's a form of very laid back entertainment for me. I do it for fun. If hair grew fast enough, I'd cut it differently every few weeks. If I had more facial hair, I'd grow it out in patterns, then cut it all off on one side, that kind of stuff.
That, plus my ex really hated it (even though she'd long stopped kissing me), so annoying her has been fun.
When and if I finally find a matchmate, I'll do what eeeevvvvveeerrr she likes.
 Jim978
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 4:05:18 AM

Personally, I find that facial hair tends to "obscure" or hide a man's true and natural good looks.

You have a bit of a contradiction here. What is "true" or "natural" about shaving? You are aware that the "natural" thing for a guy to do would be to NOT shave and end up with facial hair, right?

But to address your basic question, most of the men you are encountering are probably divorced. Which means many of them got out of a relationship with a woman much like yourself and now they can do whatever they want to do without being nagged about it daily. They have a beard and/or 'stache because they couldn't have one when they were in their 20s/30s without hearing about it all the time.

And no, it isn't just you. There is a very lengthy thread on this very question in the Over 45 forum.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Men Over 50 and Facial Hair