Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Should the President render salutes to military personnel ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Should the President render salutes to military personnel ?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
In my opinion, NO.
Ronald Reagan started a bad precedent when he began rendering salutes to military personnel and I think it needs to be stopped. Will somebody please tell Obama and all future presidents to stop it with the salutes !

The President may be the Commander in Chief, but he is firstly a civilian. The Constitution is specifically clear about the President being a civilian and not a member of the military. In the United States, civilians do not give military salutes to the military.

Generally, military personnel salute each other with a few exceptions under well established guidelines. Military salutes should be rendered between members of the active military only.

Every time I see the President salute a member of the military ( even the Vice-President and Cabinet members have gotten into it ), it makes me cringe.
The proper way for civilians to display respect to the flag or the military is to place a hand over the heart.
For civilians to render military salutes is not only bad form ( even bad manners ) it shows an ignorance of the Constitution and the traditions of our country.
 wudger
Msg: 2
Should the President render salutes to military personnel ?
Posted: 10/29/2009 7:26:41 PM
see what happens when you elect a Reagan?
 Pyro74
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 7:31:01 PM
So, How do you feel about the armed forces saluting him?
 nipoleon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 7:50:52 PM
The President is the Commander in Chief, by the Constitution. It's well established military protocol that the sitting Commander in Chief should be saluted by all members of the military.
The president is still a civilian and has no requirement to return the salute or initiate one. It shows bad form for the president to make a military salute.
At public events , the president should show respect like any other civilian by placing a hand over his heart.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:22:09 PM
Reagan was the first President who hadn't actually served (he was an anti-War demonstrator during WW1) since....I'm counting back, but I think either Hoover or Coolidge. So, partly out of ignorance, and partly to mask that, he started the practice.

You can't expect Obama to stop it though - he takes flak if he doesn't wear a stupid pin for God's sakes. McCain could have stopped the practice.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:32:02 PM
he's not really saluting in a formal military way.

he's honoring the soldier with a "black salute" which is totally different.

similar to the hand signals that gangstas use to "talk" or identify one another, Mr. Obama uses the hand signal that says "i'm down witcha".

it just looks like a military salute but really isn't.
 4realRU
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/29/2009 8:43:01 PM

Reagan was the first President who hadn't actually served
I'm a bit unclear as to what you're meaning by that comment. Are you stating that 1- Reagan never served in the military? And 2- That Reagan was the first U.S. president to never have served in the armed forces?

I have to completely agree with the OP on this one. No U.S. President should ever initiate or return a salute. To do so could be construed as that person actually being an active military member. Something that is expressly prohibited by the constitution of the U.S.
 wudger
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:00:38 PM
I agree with 4real but I think at the moment, given the news coming out of Afghanistan, I hope they aren't putting this at the top of the todo list.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:02:34 PM
If you'd actually read the sentence - he was the first that hadn't served since Hoover or Coolidge (I think Hoover). And yes, or no depending - Reagan never served in the military. He was of age during WW1, but demonstrated instead.

And the incredibly offensive post above you is just unbelievably racist.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:11:10 PM

You can't expect Obama to stop it though - he takes flak if he doesn't wear a stupid pin for God's sakes

You're damn right he 'did'...same as not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem.

And now it's becoming clear, isn't it?

~ds~
 OpenWaterCaptn
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:35:59 PM
truthfully unless the service member is a Medal of Honor recipient the president does not salute, however customs and courtesies aside, it is up to the individual CIC to determine yay or nay. MoH recp. are considered above all else when in company of elected officials regardless of rank in service and so forth. i do find Obama to be in bad taste for trying to garner military support when he campaigned against what he leads.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:49:25 PM
The fact that you even ask this question says so much about you and your little concern for those "that give that last full measure"

I hope just hope that this man has finally figured out what it really means to be the CIC. That you would question some asinine regulation to oppose the simple gesture of respect for the fallen.

You people haven't earned or deserve the devotion of the blood these men spilled gave.
 Not The Cable Guy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:51:07 PM
Harry Truman gave Douglas MacArthur the finger...

A pair of brass balls haven't swung in the Oval Office since then...

And it's been down hill ever since...
 4realRU
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/29/2009 9:53:50 PM

If you'd actually read the sentence
Actually, I did read that sentence. I just wanted to make sure that what I read is what you actually meant. You cleared all doubt by saying..........

Reagan never served in the military.
I'll concede the point that Reagan never served as an actual military combatant. Meaning he was never part of any war time engagement. But to say that he never served in the military seems to miss the bulls eye by, well, let's just say that I don't believe your comment will ever get you a sharpshooters award.

I assume that the following links are all incorrect?

http://www.nndb.com/people/359/000022293/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service

The above link shows that Clinton was actually the most recent President without any military experience, other than our current president. Oh, and it was FDR, for obvious reasons, that was the last to not serve in the military before Clinton.

Regardless of this trivial matter, the President of the United States, being a civilian, should never salute. Nor should he/she ever bow to any other person!
 wudger
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/29/2009 10:00:42 PM

i do find Obama to be in bad taste for trying to garner military support when he campaigned against what he leads.

ummm care to explain that? how did he campaign against the military?
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:57:54 PM
There is no one higher in position in this country and he is the Commander and Chief,everyone in the military,of all branches, are his soldiers,heck ya,he can salute,what a dumb question.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:06:45 PM

There is no one higher in position in this country and he is the Commander and Chief,everyone in the military,of all branches, are his soldiers,heck ya,he can salute,what a dumb question.

So then, are you saying your democratic brethren are wrong to suggest that Ronald Reagan was wrong to return a salute?

~ds~
 TheBarnBrat
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:29:55 PM
I see it more as the president giving the military rep a sign of respect. And now it's tradition, so why not? As long as he salutes properly, I don't see a problem with it.
 PokerPlayerLV
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:32:01 PM
My friend works on Marine 1 and he said it is a sign of respect. Bush always saluted and shook everyones hands and said thank you each time he boarded AF1 and Marine 1.

There is nothing wroing with showing respect and saluting, especially when you are commander in chief you can do whatever you want.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:37:47 PM
How did this become a question of political party,I don't see anything attached to my hip,the question was whether the Commander and chief can salute,and please take close note to the title Commander.Your trying to make this an issue of one party over another and that was not my point,lets not take anything away from the question.Is a President a Commander,YES,well that sounds like someone that can salute.Like I said,dumb question.The leader of our country being questioned as to if he can salute.If he was a Libertarian he still would have been a our Commander in charge of every soldier from our country.Top Dog,Hoorah !
 Ipostonforums
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:42:33 PM
I think there are more important things to care about right now.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:52:31 PM
Ya.. on that note.. you don't cutesy or bow to the Queen of England either!

you are not of the Commonwealth and therefore you don't bow to the English Monarch. Nor do you touch the Monarchy if you are a Commoner....lol I guess Mrs O didn't get that memo eh?

get your protocol straighten out and then practice it.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:55 PM

How did this become a question of political party

Ummmm, I’m guessing by the very first response given to the OP:

see what happens when you elect a Reagan ?

Rather than offer his/her own opinion, the first poster to the thread referenced a conservative President...and suggests, that if it is indeed a ‘problem’...then it’s the conservatives’ fault.

And then, there’s this very ‘political’ point which the OP stated in his opening statement:

The President may be the Commander in Chief, but he is firstly a civilian. The Constitution is specifically clear about the President being a civilian and not a member of the military. In the United States, civilians do not give military salutes to the military.

And then there’s this ignorant post:

Reagan was the first President who hadn't actually served (he was an anti-War demonstrator during WW1) since....I'm counting back, but I think either Hoover or Coolidge. So, partly out of ignorance, and partly to mask that, he started the practice.

Obviously ‘politicized’, or that poster would have googled and discovered that Reagan had, in fact, enlisted...the Army Air Corps...was what he had to ‘settle’ for due to his disability and the service’s physical requirements.

So you tell me, “when did this become political”. And by the way, I agree with you...the Commander in Chief would be a low life sumbytch if he didn’t return a salute to those he expects to protect him...and Michelle...and their daughters...oh yeah, and us.

~ds~
 Jokemaker
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/2/2009 9:19:24 PM
Yeah, everyone knows presidents are supposed to give men and women in uniform high 5's to show respect. However, they are allowed their own descretion whether or not to activate the "down low, too slow" protocol.

Honestly, do you people really care that much? The Leader of 300,000,000 people lifted his hand to his brow to show respect to the men and women who give for their country, and you find this wrong, WHY?

Get over it. There are hundreds of thousands of things more important then this. It is a practice that has become tradition, nothing more.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/2/2009 9:48:54 PM
IMHO, any man who controls 14,000 nuclear weapons can do whatever he wants to do. If he wants to salute, fine. If he doesn't, fantastic. If he wants to stick a kazoo up his butt and play "The Star Spangled Banner" with Taco Bell gas, more power to him. Just keep his finger off the button, and maybe reduce our deficit a bit, and I'm happy. Our last 3 or 4 Big Guys have set a very low bar for the job. I'm just happy to be still breathing non-radioactive air.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Should the President render salutes to military personnel ?