Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What should you say when a girl tells you she's fat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fatuglyloser
Msg: 1
What should you say when a girl tells you she's fat?Page 1 of 1    
This has happened to me 10 million times....

A girl I'm either dating or friends with pulls the ol "I'm fat" or "I hate my body" line.

My question is what should a guy say when a woman tells him she's fat? If he says it's ok he might be spitting his teeth out, if he says she's not she might think he's a liar.
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 2
What should you say when a girl tells you she's fat?
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:28:10 PM
I laughed when i read this,Op..............sorry (if you're being serious...????)......

Coz,the only correct response is ,"You're gorgeous"...............
Thats IT.
The stock standard answer that's the right one.....!!!!!!
 StatlerandWaldorf
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:38:54 PM
Tell her that's the price she has to pay for living in an affluent society.

Only don't really. Say what Chardy said. ^^^
 Thaddal
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:46:14 PM
If she is...then just way....yeah...you can stand to lose a few pounds....so..if it bothers you that much....work on it....trust me...when you agree with them...what else can they say....their not gonna bring it up again for fear of what you will say next....try it....i look at it this way....if your gonna ask a stupid question....you should get a stupid answer....
 Scratch Off
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:51:41 PM

laughed when i read this,Op..............sorry (if you're being serious...????)......

I was actually thinking of posting the exact same question when I read his post.

I am actually on my way in about an hour to see/talk to someone whom I think is physically pretty damn near a perfect representation of what I consider attractive, but during our third or fourth conversation, she made a crack on her own weight, and then there was this long blatant pause to see what I would say.

I don't think I'll ever understand it. Women who are a size 16/18 typically lie to you and tell you that they're much smaller than they are, especially online. But a woman who is around a 10 or 12 (and sometimes the 8's do it too - I once dated a model who actually did this during the first date) ... it's like she'll wanna test you by saying negative things to you about her own body.

I once heard a comedian say that when his wife makes any reference to her own weight, his response is "I can't see anything, I'm blinded by your beauty."
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:54:33 PM
Tell her to STFU and do something about it. And that you do not buy into the attention seeking whining crap.
 central_scrutinizer
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:54:47 PM

Tell her only her butt is fat. The rest of her is fabulous. The gals seem to love that.
 smartypants24
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:56:35 PM
Most women who say "I'm fat" or ask if they look fat are fishing for complements IMO...they want you to tell them they're wrong, that they look great no matter what blah blah...
 ToughLuv1984
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:58:40 PM
Good response..."That's fine, I'll love your body enough for the both of us. Meet in the bedroom in five minutes." Pretty sure that one will work.
 kebemik
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:59:42 PM
I think most women who say this (or make any other negative comments about their bodies) are looking for reassurance that you like them as they are.

So if you do like her as she is, try to convey it. If she is normal or thin, tell her that she's gorgeous and maybe even say that you'd hate to see her lose weight. If she actually does need to lose some weight, tell her that she's gorgeous and you like her just as she is.

If you have a VERY good relationship with a woman who needs to lose weight, it is possible that she is looking for some support to do that. It is possible that she is asking you to encourage her, go to the gym with her, avoid dates where you eat a lot, or something along those lines. It may be the opening for a very honest discussion. The best bet here, rather than offer advice, is to ask her what she would like you to do to help. Be careful about offering advice, unless she asks for it.
 thecdcisreal
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:11:15 PM
Just tell them the truth, if they cannot handle the truth, get rid of them.

Edit: Whoops sorry, I just realized that I am not a girl.
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:11:40 PM
The best thing to say is "I love your body."
 AlwaysExpectMiracles
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:27:31 PM
I don't know what advise to give you, cause it depends on what she wants to hear. People don't make derogatory comments about themselves unless they expect a certain reaction. Usually, looking for emotional support.
I dislike when people do it. I think it's manipulative and whiny. I also believe that you become what you say, so you better stop saying bad things about yourself. When somebody says "I'm fat" I tell her my point of view on the matter and that she shouldn't say it unless she's looking to hear "Yes, I totally agree with you." Sure thing, next time she does it and I go "Yes, I totally agree with you" is usually the last time she mentions it.
I do the same thing with men who whines and complains too.

I seriously don't know what to do with "I hate my body" comment. Other than "You can keep hating it but I'm allright with it" I don't know what else could you say. You can't change her mind about it, she's entitled to her feeling and opinions.

P.S. Umm, what's up with that screen name? Fat ugly loser? I agree with you.
 hereshappy
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:31:55 PM
Just tell her:" Oh sweety...your not fat, your just tons of fun!" LOL!! or the old "your not fat, your P.H.A.T! phat. Lol!
 Willys Wild Wheaties
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:37:59 PM
Sounds like a question you ask the "gay friend"
 LD44
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:40:36 PM
say the problem isn't that your to fat, the problem is everyone else around you is to skinny?
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/15/2009 7:43:21 PM
99% of the time she's fishing for compliments. So...either tell her that she looks just fine to you, or turn it around and ask her, "why do you think you're fat?" or "why do you hate your body?" Either she'll have to 'fess up that she just wants some ego stroking, or she'll have a real discussion with you about body image. (I'm gonna guess it will usually be the former.)
 Aisfor_Amanda
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/15/2009 7:49:07 PM
Ignore it. I'm fat and have body issues but I don't go around saying it all the time.
 central_scrutinizer
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/15/2009 8:05:37 PM
You could try telling her that there's a slot open on Biggest Loser and that she should go try out for it. She will love you dearly for making such a loving and thoughtful suggestion.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/15/2009 8:06:42 PM
Just say, "You look fine to me". When a woman says that, she is fishing for compliments and wants confirmation that she looks okay.

Or you could always say, "Ewe's not fat... ewe's fluffy!"
 cherrydolly
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2009 8:25:05 PM
what type of man are u ?

shes feeling very insecure right now, how u respond is very important!!!!!!!!!!!

think about these things first before u open your pie-hole..........................

1. Are we on our way out the door?
2. Do I want sex tonight?
3. Has dinner already been cooked?
4. Who has the car keys right now?
5. Do I want to call 9-1-1 for myself at any time?
6. Do I remember seeing one less -tampon in the box?

She wants to hear u say, that shes beautiful , and hasnt changed in any way.

no ones perfect and when I hear it I want to puke

-Val.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What should you say when a girl tells you she's fat?