Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you ever feel like you belong in a different place or in a differe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lord_Summerisle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Do you ever feel like you belong in a different place or in a different time?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've given this much thought over the past few years, why I was having so much difficulty in relationships, and I just don't mean intimate relationships, but relationships with people in general. And I really believe that I should be living in another area of the world or in a different time line in the space time continuum.

I feel that my values system and views on sexuality, and how women and men should exists is much more inline with those in Victorian England. Or I feel that I would be much more happy living in the time of King Arthur and being in a band of traveling minstrels or in a band of gypsies.

Likewise, I feel that the area of the world live don't fit me well either. I have searched through ideas about where to move to, The Southern USA, Ireland, France were some of the my thoughts cause I had this notion that in those areas of the world I would find white women with more traditional values.

So I'm asking do you have feeling like me that you belong somewhere else?

And have any of your values and beliefs caused you trauma and feeling of not belonging. Cause I've struggled for more than 20 years with these feeling of not fitting in, and those feeling have led me down some very dark pathways.
 Remember2Never4get
Msg: 2
Do you ever feel like you belong in a different place or in a different time?
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:03:37 AM
Yes I do. I agree. I feel as if I should be living in an apocalyptic world where everyone is serious about what they want and need. Today in the place that I'm in, everyone is so superficial.
 kpooks
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:06:24 AM
Yep. 1930s Hollywood. It was just after the wild, sexy, roaring 20s, sound came in, and there was a bit of conservatism before WWII hit. Downshot? Economic depression, so anyone working in Hollywood was working very hard, under contract, for relatively low pay, and happy to get it.
 daynadaze
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:09:20 AM
Keep in mind you are talking about social mores not how people actually acted. It's like a TV show from the 50s, people weren't really that innocent and well behaved, it's just a facade.
 JWG86
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:13:31 AM
Yes, I would have liked to have lived before all this feel-good PC crap came into existance. I am not ashamed of a damn thing and it irks me to see people walking around hating themselves for whatever stupid reason they can come up with. "Oh woe is me for my ancestors were slave owners". "Oh what have I done, I am rich and should be punished." It is the mirror opposite of successful evolution. Fail.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:14:55 AM
Not in a different time, but in a different geographic area (where there is no WINTER/cold weather, palm trees/greenery all over and beaches - that'd be my PERFECT element........ )!!!

However, I'm thinking you're talking about something entirely different as you feel you don't "fit in" and have been struggling with this for 20 yrs. It sounds like you have some issues that you have overlooked and need addressed in order to co-exist in this time era/with people peacefully!

The only suggestion I can make is seek some professional counseling as to why you feel this way.
 canoga77
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:16:02 AM

I feel that my values system and views on sexuality, and how women and men should exists is much more inline with those in Victorian England

Mine is more inline with the 1970's. I've always wished I could have lived in the 1930's and 40's, though. People had a sense of purpose back then. I guess that's why I'm so drawn to World War II reenacting and toward studying that period of history. With the depression and the war, it was a difficult time to live through, though. I don't think seriously I would want to live in any other time but the present.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:35:14 AM
I have been in different places in the last 50 years.
I feel that where I'm now is where I was meant to be, but the time is yet to come.
En attandant....

Lord_Summerisle
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 12:16:04 PM
I greatly agree with AcceptingMistakesNotFlaws and canoga 77. I agree with the sense of purpose and respect and honour.

As for stuggling with this for more than 20 years I'm referring to that I believed that I would meet a woman like my mother, that had her values, and idea of family and home. You see my mother instilled values within me from the values from her father. And my grandfather lived into his 80s and died 2 years before I was born, so the values that I have come to believe in were from time of my grandfather, somewhere in the 1870s or 1880s. So I've been alone with very few friends or single almost all of my life, cause I was searching for people with those values.

I thought of moving down south to met a gal who says Y'all...cause during Katrina there was a 25 or 26 year old woman on CNN with her 3 small children looking for her missing husband in Biloxi, Mississippi. She said her husband and children went to say at her mother's house. Her husband rode his bicycle in the storm, back to the trailer (as in trailer park) to get the cat, as he doesn't drive. So I have been searching for a gal like that for the 25 odd years that would be happy living a working class, downhome life, and was happy that she had a roof over her head, and food on the table. So what if me and the women I was with had to move in with my mom til we could save enough for a place on our own and if we had a few kids before that time came, big deal, we would have a roof over our head and food on the table.

That's been the 20 year struggle.
 Remember2Never4get
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/20/2009 1:05:17 PM
^^
Don't forget, you'll have a family around your kids to help raise them. It seems that possibility is desolate nowadays..

Lord_Summerisle
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 1:38:35 PM
I asked about a different time in the space time continuum cause a few years ago I heard this song that made me think that I belong in a different time: (These words)

I was told once, by a friend of mine,
She had seen an olden sign,
She said she was not from this time,
And did I feel the same?
So I told her, "Yes", I knew her fear
As I felt the truth draw near
Told her back three hundred years,
Was the time that I held dear...
Gather ye lords and ladies fair,
Come with me to the Renaissance Faire
Hurry now,
We're almost there...
Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la, la...
Through the shroud of mystery,
Turn a page of history,
Feeling more than you can see,
Down at the Renaissance Faire.
Hear the minstrels play their tunes,
They will play the whole night through,
Special songs for me and you,
And anyone whose heart is true...
There's too many stars for one sky to hold,
Some will fall, others are sold,
As the fields turn to gold
Down at the Renaissance Faire...
 Selima
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/20/2009 1:45:07 PM
OP, just keep in mind, wherever you go, there YOU are. Whatever personal unhappiness one feels in life, whatever issues one has with finding peace within, it is about what goes on inside one's head. Chances are, OP, if you were suddenly transported back to Victorian England, you would still be unable to find inner peace. I agree with the poster who said this seems more about how you deal with reality, not about how reality deals with you.
 JWG86
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/20/2009 2:46:31 PM
We still have 426 Hemi's, or very close to it, actually, we have a lot better engines as well.
 younowho
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/20/2009 3:15:02 PM
having lived very very remote. I mean no elec, no running water. The heat was what you could store ( wood) food was what you brought or kill and store.

I'm always cracked up, when others say " I wish I was born 100 yrs ago"

That same person will shower 2 x's a day. run out of salt in the middle of dinner, than ask you to go get some. Take a dump and need more TP. Get pissy when the power goes out and they don't have lights in there house and the computer won't work.

If your not happy living in the place or time, your in now. You would never make it any where else.

Roy & dale.. did sing songs all day long

Al Capone.. did blow peoples knee caps off.

Wyatt Earp .. was dead at a early age.

Little House on the prairie.. was a movie set..

Buck Rogers, never flew around with a jet pack.
 Lord_Summerisle
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 3:29:30 PM
having lived very very remote. I mean no elec, no running water. The heat was what you could store ( wood) food was what you brought or kill and store.

yiunowho I spent 2 1/2 months this past summer living in a tent. The running water you had to haul from half a mile away, I had electricity but it did go out for one weekend. The bathroom was a three minute walk away and was closed the weekend the power went out. (Went in the bush) Cooked on a portable barbeque, washed dishes in cold water, bought ice to keep my food cold and had to drive five minutes to take a shower. It ain't a 100 years ago, but I was more referring to socially living many years ago. Honour, Respect, etc.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/20/2009 3:44:15 PM
I have those feelings often, and had them all the while I was growing up. However, they weren't from a sense of belonging, they were more a sense of "deja vu". I have never been one to cater to that "in crowd" philosophy.

For me, it is a sense of being somewhere I have never been before, and feeling that "I know this place" or "I've been here before". And then there are those times I just wanted to be somewhere else, or felt I was from another time!

These are not instances that overpower me, but they still happen from time to time. Sometimes I am in the woods, and swear I can hear the voices of spirits speaking from long ago....and no! I am not drunk or stoned! Then I start wishing I could be a peeping tom, and look in to see what their lives were like!

It's all good though...I'm here, where I'm suppose to be!..............I think!!!!!!
 younowho
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:15:11 PM
Lord .. I know exactly where your coming from...

In my life span alone, at times I wish I could turn back time, Then I wake up ( a Bit) and reality kicks back in. No I don't want to relive a thing. ok that's not true There was this old G/F . let me tell you about those 5 minute showers .

Any how, your right now living the best era you will ever know.. everyone talks of the "good old days" .. This is the good old days..

now if I could just move into the future
 Lord_Summerisle
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:52:58 PM
I'm really just frustrated after looking over some 4000 profiles over the the last 6 years on numerous dating sites, only to find the same women I didn't want to date over the past 25 years.

Here's a list:

* I'm in college or planning on going to college...or taking a masters degree

* I like to party

* I'm looking for a hot guy

* I'm looking for a guy with a great job

* I do drugs

What happen to "I work on my dad's fishing boat, or my dad's farm, or in a factory, I like to have a few beers, watch TV, watch hockey and football, want a nice guy and start a family soon"

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And I choose the name Lord Summerisle cause he was the lordship on the small pagan island off the coast of Scotland in the movie "The Wickerman". Those are my people, fishing, growing apples, etc.

I went counselling..It was my counselor who suggested Ireland and France...France cause all these young woman date older men and Ireland cause they just legalized divorce there last year.

Give me some people with values, substance, and want to get back to the Earth, and away from this material, individual, look at me mom (facebook, Twitter) BS.

That's why I say a different time a different place.

After looking at profiles from women the Southern USA it's just the same...college, hot guys, etc, etc.
 monalee1
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/20/2009 6:18:52 PM
hi... I understand what you mean OP... for me I know that I do not see this world as my home... I want the world before the fall, I want what they have in heaven and on the planets that have never rebelled... I can not be happy in my little space while knowing that children die elsewhere... I do have peace and hope and assurance that Jesus Will Come for mankinds Greater Good and do know my role in all of this until then but I can honestly say that I long for That Day with my entire heart... blessings
 NappyKAT
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:06:38 PM
I like gypsies. You know they are called 'Roma' now.
And I'll take your name (OP) to be a throwback to the movie 'The Wicca Man' 1974 original?

Anyway, mines is an eclectic mix. I like the era I'm living in now. I prefer to progress forward, not backward. Things weren't all and well for black folks to progress backwards.

I'll take todays era (2009/2010) with a 1960's black power/hippie flower power/peace vibe.
The real Woodstock 1969 not that 30 year old catastrophe remake they had a some years ago. You cant really imitate the spontaneity and free spirit of something like that. Free love, free sex, free drugs, and the black power salute complete with beret and afro.

September/October would nice. great time for dressing in victorian/medieval clothing and having a ball. Mix in a little Scott-Irish celtic music and some Hava Nigila and country hodown and break dancing (Beat Street!). Harlem renaissance sitting around the pub in 1930's-like paris with Langston Hughes and Josephine Baker and Tommy Chong with some Diggable Planets in the background... cause we cool like dat.

Talk about a thro-back!

I want a time when you could 'sneak' to Mexico without a passport and you still snuggle drugs on airplane (like in the movie BLOW. That was a good movie).

A time when Detroit was still called 'Motor City' and vibing with industrialism.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:13:41 PM

Yes, I would have liked to have lived before all this feel-good PC crap came into existance. I am not ashamed of a damn thing and it irks me to see people walking around hating themselves for whatever stupid reason they can come up with. "Oh woe is me for my ancestors were slave owners". "Oh what have I done, I am rich and should be punished." It is the mirror opposite of successful evolution. Fail.
Interesting. I would like to discuss this (I think) but not interested in derailing the thread.

Anyway, places to go. I've been wanting to move too but nothing really 'moves' me. Overall there are plenty of places I want to visit but not stay.

I have wanted to go that place that was in the movie 'Daughters of the Dust.' Some Geechie/Gullah island of the coast of the Carolinas? Love the accent.

And I'm 'moved' to go to New Orleans. I don't know what is left of that place now. Wish I could have went pre-Katrina.
 JWG86
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:19:21 PM

Interesting. I would like to discuss this (I think) but not interested in derailing the thread.

So why have you not PM'ed me and discussed it?
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:27:45 PM
Not in any way trying to discredit your feelings, because I understand them and have had them. I think most people have, but the down and dirty reality is....

What you wish and desire is Hollywood, or Books, not ever was it reality. What you are missing is a moral society based on fairness and accountability. Those moments in history were never really there, but for brief moments some societies came close in theory, so that creative people and those that long for justice were moved to wax poetic and romantically about it as if it really existed.

Many people really do want goodness, justice and love. That is for the afterlife...we hope.

It is a nice thing to dream about, but do not confuse it with reality.

There is a very good "movie" (LOL we are intrinsically attached to those things) line that I find intelligent (one of the few) and try to remember whenever it is appropriate...

A man who tells lies, like me, merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.

Don't be a man who tells half-lies to his own mind.

Peace,

SS
 NappyKAT
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:30:34 PM

So why have you not PM'ed me and discussed it?

^^^^^ I've read your posts. Comparative to mine - very different. I'm not trying to purposely wind up on anyone's 'blocked' list. But thanks for the invite to pm you about it. I may consider it.
 indigodream
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:35:32 PM
Yes. I do. Moretimes, I think my spaceship crashed and I wound up here accidentally...still trying to find a way home. Really though, I know I chose this place for a purpose.

I can think of some possibilities to those feelings:

- You aren't surrounded by people who take the time to understand you and appreciate you for who you really are.

- Past life nostalgia.

- In the late 90's I read an article from a (Argh! can't remember which tribe, southern states) elder which prophesized that humankind had to change their ways immediately because we were hurting the Earth. The time was coming in which us humans would destroy themselves through ignorance. He mentioned that Spirit would tell people where to go to be safe. If you're drawn to a place...just go, forget the logic, don't let the fear of a new place hold you back. Listen to your feelings.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you ever feel like you belong in a different place or in a different time?