Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Mandatory DNA tests at birth?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tomau
Msg: 1
Mandatory DNA tests at birth?Page 1 of 109    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
What do people think of this?

I think it could be a good idea as it could eliminate issues such as mine where the father even though we were together and have an 11 yr old and 7 month old from denying the youngest as his. His thinking is because he cheats so does the other person. However he refuses to do the paternity and even trying to serve him papers is proving difficult.
 aaamm
Msg: 2
Mandatory DNA tests at birth?
Posted: 11/21/2009 9:11:00 PM
If you are married the husband's name goes on the birth certificate. So get married before you have a baby and no problem...
 Tomau
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/21/2009 9:18:05 PM
it really doesn't mean a child is the man's just because they are married. There are still cases of married couples where the man denies it is his child.

Plus here in Canada the father has to sign it so married or not if he doesn't want to sign it he doesn't have to.
 ValkyrieHJR
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/21/2009 9:20:23 PM
Aaamm, Matariki was married when she had her children. That does not necessarily stop the father from saying the child is not his. There are a lot of men out there that are afraid of the commitment that a child means to a relationship and all the changes that come along with it. So they fall into the age old excuse that the baby couldn't be his and she must have cheated on him.

As far as the DNA testing goes, I am not sure how I feel about that. I think that it's almost too much government involvement. And an invasion of privacy. I have the same views about prenups. Things like that are saying that the worst is guaranteed going to happen and it becomes self-fulfilling prophecy.
 AU 4 U
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:27:36 PM
I've been sniped, permanently serialized, had 2 (two) different girlfriends tell me that they got pregnant. One actually was the other just wanted money for a late procedure and never provided the proof that she was pregnant. BOTH times I had myself rechecked for swimmers, NEGATIVE RESULTS.

The laws in CANADA state that child support will be granted as that is in the child's best interest. The MAN must prove himself not to be the father, and sometimes it takes a court order served to the mother of the child to have this provided. During this process the man MUST provide the child support, otherwise there can be garnishes, suspended drivers licences, seizures of bank accounts, assets to be disposed of ETC!!

All of this may take up to 2 years to prove paternity, @ a min of $650. per month.

It is the up to the man to counter claim damages due to the occurred costs, and HE must pay for the DNA test AND the lawyer up front.

How the HELL is a guy supposed to collect from a single mom, that is on child support, the base amount of $15,600.???????

I say YES to mandatory DNA testing.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:31:31 PM
Sticky question.. But I really dont seem the harm in it if everyone has to do it. I fail to see how it would be a "goverment issue " to take a test to prove or disprove paternity. It would take all the arguments out of the equation. As a father I am all for it.

You buy insurance to protect your house your car and your life.... Do you realize that when you buy that insurance you are gambling with the insurance company? They bet that the worst isn't going to happen and you are betting that it will. A prenup is the same thing.. insurance. There are no self-fufilling phropecy's unless you chose to let them be.
 AU 4 U
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/21/2009 10:57:37 PM
"Notdesper8atall"
Prenups don't mean a thing when it come to 'Quality of life PROVIDED'. All the judge will look at is WHAT the environment was that the child was living in and level a judgment for support in regards to the quality lifestyle (In Canada).
 Chitownguy40
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/22/2009 12:46:19 AM
But I don't think denial of paternity is so common EVERY child needs an expensive DNA test. It happens often enough, but is still not the norm.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/22/2009 2:09:04 AM
Oppose.
Oppose.
Oppose.
Oppose.
Oppose.

Message too short.
Oppose.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:10:32 AM
Maybe if the dad is denying the child he should have to pay for one at birth. Or if the parents are both unsure the cost should be split right down the middle. I know I was explaining to the nurses at my hospital that my son's dad was denying him and they said if I wanted to he could come pay for a DNA test and they'd have the results back in a couple days.

If he's denying the child before it's ever born it would be hard to get him to come up there and witness the birth/get a dna test at birth though. Why would someone show up for the birth of a child they don't think is theirs?
 Strings6
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:14:09 AM
Women hate DNA testing...as they should i guess..Momma's baby and Daddy's maybe doesn't apply anymore
 ForumPhantom
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:43:22 AM
Interesting question OP. I feel that if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear...but maybe I'm being naive. I don't have children (I love the single parents forum because I find the discussions here very dynamic, thus I lurk) so maybe I'm missing something. I'll be reading the responses with interest. Cheers!

PS - I don't think those dna tests are that expensive. The cheesy "Maury" show does them all the time and it seems to take a day or two (in tv time, so maybe I'm missing something).
Maury's able to say "you are NOT the father" in a very efficient time frame it seems...lol.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/22/2009 4:59:53 AM
Not all women hate DNA testing. I welcomed one. If you didn't sleep around you have nothing to hide.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:17:56 AM

If you didn't sleep around you have nothing to hide.
Simply because you have nothing to hide doesn't mean that you would be accepting of a DNA test to prove parentage.

It's a degrading, debasing ploy used by men that don't want to take responsibility at the dissolution of a relationship for the product of that relationship.

I'm opposed to arbitrary DNA testing... if the father doesn't want the child, why force this on him? I personally wouldn't want to learn that my father only took responsibility for me after it was proven beyond a doubt that I was his child... that's not a parent... being a parent is an honour and priviledge, not a duty that has to be imposed.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:26:58 AM

if the father doesn't want the child, why force this on him?

There are many cases where the father wanted the child at first, then changes his tune when she gets pregnant or has the baby. Mine is such a case. It should not fall on the mother in these cases to provide solely for the child just because the sperm donor changed his mind. That's not fair to the mother or the child. The child has a right to be supported. Now I can understand if the father says he never wanted the child in the first place and the mom continues the pregnancy anyways, but not if he is all hunky-dorey about it then changes his mind when he sees how much work/responsibility is involved.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:43:36 AM
Im a little leery about the government, or anyone for that matter, having my DNA on file somewhere. Maybe Ive watched too many conspiracy shows and episodes of Fringe but still.
 shaylyn
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:52:21 AM

if the father doesn't want the child, why force this on him?

There are many cases where the father wanted the child at first, then changes his tune when she gets pregnant or has the baby. Mine is such a case. It should not fall on the mother in these cases to provide solely for the child just because the sperm donor changed his mind. That's not fair to the mother or the child. The child has a right to be supported. Now I can understand if the father says he never wanted the child in the first place and the mom continues the pregnancy anyways, but not if he is all hunky-dorey about it then changes his mind when he sees how much work/responsibility is involved.

I would be perfectly with a DNA test at birth. I know I haven't slept around and I know who the Daddy is therefore I have nothing to hid at all and I would not feel ashamed having it done or anything.

As for being married and the father's name being on the birth cert ... we were not married yet my son's father's name was on his birth cert. Once I had my son, in the hospital (c-section so had to stay for almost a week) my ex had the nerve to tell me his son was not his because he had blond hair and blue eyes. If I could have done the DNA test right there I would have been all over it like a fat kid on a skittle!

When we went to court, he admitted on paper his son was his, then when we went in front of the Judge he said he does not believe the child to be his and wishes to have a DNA test done. The Judge looked at me (shocked) and asked if I was willing to agree to this and my comment was "If that is what will help him sleep at night, then sure!" My lawyer got a kick out of it too.

DNA tests are not that expensive and its not hard to get at all. He called a 1-800 number, we went to the MDS lab, had the swab down and finger prints done and we had the results in like a month. Of course it came back as 99.99%
 wonderingsole
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:52:23 AM
An automatic mandatory procedure done within hours of birth. That way you could get the results beck even befroe the card is filled out so that ther would be a penalty for putting the wrong man's name on the card.

It is estimated that between 6-12% of all kids in a commited relationship are not of the husbands dna. That milk man must be a heck of a stud. This is where the expression came from. Men were always at work and the milk man was "makin" deliveries.
So far, paternity fraud is not a chargable offence and there are many cases that are seeing men being subjected to paying for children they never sired after a divorce.
The current law also stipulates that if you are separated and she gets impregnated by her new boyfriend that the husband can still be held liable for supporting that child too!

The mother need not be dna tagged at all so the argument against privacy is moot. I mean it must be hers, right? It is also beneficial for the mothers that if they do need to seek child support that a match has already been established.

And lastly if you are concerned about a child's welfare then it would be in their best interest in the case of genetic or heredatory deseases, organ donation, bone marrow treatments. And you wouldn't have to lie to the child it's whole life either unless of course you find that an easy thing to do, you did fool around on your husband so it may not be that tough afterall.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:53:28 AM
I dated an ER nurse for about a year. She worked deliveries from time to time also for C-sections or if there were other problems, but it was not her normal place of work. Despite it not being here normal duty assignment, during the year we dated she was present for two births were the race of the baby was not a match for husband and wife. The not the daddies were not happy about this, but at least they knew, that they were not the father of the child just by looking. She told me one of the husband took several photos and told the new mom, your not come home and I am keeping my kids, but you can have this one. The mom just started to cry. Busted! Have to think that there are lots and lots of dads bring up kids that are not there kids. Have to be lots paying child support for kids that are not there children as well. Yes, DNA testing should be mandatory. The biological father should have the exact same rights that the biological mother has from the time of the birth. Also the none biological parent should have zero obligations to support a child that is not their child. The only real way to make that happen would to be with DNA testing done at day one.
 shaylyn
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:03:57 AM
Perhaps it was different for me, but for our DNA test, we ALL had to be a part of it. The father, the mother and the child in question to compare all DNA. Personally, I was 100% comfortable with it. It was an interesting experience for sure.

I agree that the father should have the same rights that we do. Everyone needs to 100% the child is theirs. I hate it when Mother's tag fathers just for child support knowing full well they may not even be the Daddy! It makes us look bad as a whole. My sister in-law is one of those. I swear my nephew is not my brother's but they wont do DNA testing so we will never know!
 carterscutie85
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:20:14 AM
The not the daddies were not happy about this, but at least they knew, that they were not the father of the child just by looking.

Sorry, but DNA can be funny sometimes. You can't tell if a child is someones or not just by their skin color AT BIRTH. My brother came out and looked like he was half white, half black, his skin was WAYYYYY darker then any of my other brothers and sisters, in fact he very much resembled a monkey (no offense to anyone, lol) My dad tried to pull the "He's not mine" crap until my grandma (dad's mom) looked at him and said "Are u stupid? That kid looks exactly like u did when u were born" He never denied him again, my brother lightened up over time and is now the spitting image of my dad.

My own son came out darker then some babies, people would ask me if he was mixed. He is not, both myself and his father are white with no black/mexican in our families, but my son has more of an olive color to his skin, so I guess that's what makes people think he's mixed.

My late Uncle Pat looked like he had a permanent tan, yet my grandma and grandpa are both white with again, no other races in our immediate family when my brother, son and uncle were born. (I'm talking grandma, grandpa, great-grandma and grandpa, and even great-great-grandma and grandpa)

Judging whether or not a kid is yours by skin color at birth is ridiculous. That's the same thing as saying he's not yours cause he doesn't have your nose, eyes, etc. Newborns can be all different colors, hell if you were in a womb full of fluid for 9 months then had to be squished down a birth canal u might look kinda funny too.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:21:46 AM

The child has a right to be supported.
Many children are supported just fine in a single parent household. I have no problem providing the necessities of life for my children as well as many perks. If you want the money grab, fine... but don't pretty it up with things like daddy and such. Any man that denies being a child's father is not the daddy and has forfeit the right to be in that child's life.

Our children deserve more than to be forced on someone that doesn't want them... I for one want my children and happily support them.

As for the expense... if you want this done, then pick up the expense yourself... again, don't foist it off on our public health care system. I believe that this can be done for anywhere from 3 to 5k.
 shaylyn
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:29:02 AM
My son's father pays child support yet has nothing to do with him at all. In his mind, he doesn't have a son. So just because he pays support doesn't mean I am forcing him to be a part of his life at all.

DNA test in Ontario costs around $400. That's what my ex paid anyway. So its not 3-5k here.

Since he wanted the DNA test, the Judge told him he is to pay 100% of the costs for it.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:35:40 AM
My girlfriend that was there told me it was clear to every one in the room that the race of the children was not the race of the parents that were in the room. I.E. the two kids were black, parents in the room were white (even if the dad was not a new parent). So black in fact that the one father took photos to using as proof. It is possible to know if a child is mixed race at birth, but maddatory DNA testing could make it 100% or as close to it as we can get. I agree that skin color can be different at birth, but it is still possible to see clear differences in race at the time of birth also.
 NanB820
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:46:53 AM
"What do people think of this?"

Yah, some days I am quite certain I brought the wrong babies home from the hospital because my children would never behave like "that", so I think it's a good idea.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Mandatory DNA tests at birth?