Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Picking up the girl for the first date, good or bad?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Telenochek
Msg: 1
Picking up the girl for the first date, good or bad?Page 1 of 1    
Well, I'm going out next weekend, and just wondering what you girls think about a guy picking you up for the first date.

There are many who feel that the guy should pick up a girl for the first date.

However, I think it just adds more worries for her.
Although she pretty much knows that I'm a normal guy, I get to find out where she lives. Second, if the date doesn't go so well, she depends on me dropping her off.

What's your preference?
 Aisfor_Amanda
Msg: 2
Picking up the girl for the first date, good or bad?
Posted: 12/8/2009 9:51:35 PM
Is it the first meeting? Or have y'all already done that and now it's a full fledge first date? If it's the first time you guys are actually meeting, I'd suggest you each take your own care.
 Telenochek
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/8/2009 9:55:51 PM
This is the first time we're going to meet :)
 Ezbthdrcy
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/8/2009 10:13:17 PM
I'm just guessing by your nickname that you're Russian. If you are, then why not kozlenochek? lol.
Anywaaays, if she's Russian- then pick her up. 95% of Russian women appreciate that.
If she's not, meet her someplace.
Easy peasy.

Edit to below answer: Vsegda pozhaluista ;)
 Telenochek
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/8/2009 10:17:44 PM
Oh no, another Missus Darcy wannabe!!
(za kozla spasibo ;)
 artist_48
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/8/2009 10:21:03 PM
It's not our preference- it's hers .
Simply ask her. Have a great time.
 Ezbthdrcy
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/8/2009 10:24:12 PM

Oh no, another Missus Darcy wannabe!!
(za kozla spasibo ;)

You mean to tell me that Darcy's not real and isn't about to whisk me off into the sunset on his white steed while in the background an orchestra plays a moving yet romantic soundtrack? Why must you break my heart so?

Vsegda pozhaluista
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2009 10:35:37 PM
Ask her. Most women from online dating sites will opt to meet somewhere just to be on the safe side, at least for the first time or two.

Wiyan
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/8/2009 11:42:24 PM
Kudos to you sir for considering her POV-It is NOT the best for you to pick her up for the first date, though nice of you to be willing to offer that-that's more something you would do if the two of you were in highschool, and you picked her up for the first date at her parents house. These days it's best if both parties get themselves to the date, keep things as neutral as possible. Assuming you like her and want to stay friends off, letting her know you're hip to what's 'normal' and respect her privacy and security would help set a good example for her safety too. Have a nice date!
 PrankerPoet
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/8/2009 11:45:46 PM
From here, I wouldn't want him picking me up, I wouldn't want him knowing where I live yet, there's so many wierdo's out there, maybe after a few yeah.
 American-Boy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 12:33:14 AM
Don't pick her up on the first meeting.

There are some women who will run away from the very suggestion of this - oh and of course not bother to tell you what you did wrong either.
 Foxi Pavement
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/9/2009 12:46:10 AM
Ask her what she prefers. Some girls aren't afraid of meeting men online out of public areas some are. Different comfort zones for everyone.
 AlwaysExpectMiracles
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 12:53:15 AM
For the first date, I'd prefer to meet somewhere rather than being picked up. If he offers I'm flattered but I'm politely turning it down, suggesting to get there separately.

I tend to be pretty fearless, but still I'd rather not be picked up by a complete stranger.

As for returning home if the date goes not well, when we are both nice and normal people, I'd assume he's be OK giving me a ride back home and I'd be OK accepting it. If he turs out to be completely creepy I can find my way home without his help (cab, bus, friend picks me up).

P.S. Why not "utyonochek?"
 AmoAngelus
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 2:07:18 AM
If a guy offered to pick me up for a first date, not only wouldn't he get my address, but I would severe contact. I don't know the guy by this time. For all I know he could be a raving lunatic. The last thing I want to do is have some raving lunatic I don't actually like knocking on my door at three am. Or showing up unanounced when I don't answer his request for a date.

No, to get my address I need to have some idea of who you are. That's only really possible after a date. I don't mind guys dropping me off most of the time, but picking me up? not a chance.
 tzigane
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/9/2009 6:27:43 AM
Meet her there, even if she is Russian. Then, next time or time after, you can pick her up (if this is what she wants). I love when a guy picks me up for a date...it's amazingly romantic (at least I think so). It also gives me more time to get ready...lol.
 Steph0999
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:00:24 PM
offer to pick her up if she would like.
but i would take my own car.
 twinmd77
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/13/2009 6:13:22 PM

If you ask her and she says yes, then you could probably infer a lack of common sense. You don't know much of anything about someone prior to a live meeting, the encounter could go south (for you as well as her), ... plenty of reasons for both to take their own car. My 2 cents. Offer if there is a second or third meeting.
 MrP.
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:12:34 PM
The vast majority of women will prefer that you meet her at a neutral, public locale for a first date. However, you can give her the option by saying something like "why don't we meet at (public place) unless you prefer that I pick you up instead."
 24DegreeAngel
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:30:44 PM
I always think it's sweet of the guy to offer but on a first meeting I would not accept. If I was carless and trusted him I might accept a ride home.

It's almost like if you pick up the whole tab even though she offers you pay... it makes a better impression that she offered - no?
 shift89
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:56:27 PM
I would definitely say meet up in a public place.
Picking her up adds stress and awkwardness to the situation.
It is common to meet someone from off the internet in a public place, for at least the first time.
If you offer this, it gives her added confidence that you are who she thinks you are. (Not crazy, creepy, etc)
The public place option also relieves stress aswell as giving the both of you an escape route if things go badly.
 Telenochek
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/13/2009 10:08:31 PM
She accepted, I picked her up, and it was one of THE BEST dates EVER!
I think we'll be the best friends :)))) !
We might be more, if both of us make certain adjustments, but no pressure at this point.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Picking up the girl for the first date, good or bad?