Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Michigan  > Homeless people      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Homeless peoplePage 1 of 1    
Last night I saw a homeless guy at the gas station near my house. He was toting all of his worldly possessions in a shopping cart. It was about 17 degrees out and this guy wasn't even wearing socks. This is unusual to see where I live and I have not been able to get the guy out of mind. When I saw him my "problems" suddenly seemed to become insignificant in light of his. I wanted to help but really had no idea what to do. I actually went home and put some socks and things in a bag and went back to give them to him but he had vanished. I drove up and down the street looking for the guy but never did find him. I don't know what his story was. Maybe he was mentally unstable or a drunk but that dosen't matter, It was 17 degrees out there! I wasn't going to bring him to my house but I had no place to recommend to him. Anyone got any advice on what to do when you see someone in this condition?
 michkat57
Msg: 2
Homeless people
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:33:59 AM
bigs hugs to you and your soft heart rd...i hate it when i see homeless helpless people out there, and i feel so helpless myself...why in such a great country do we have homeless?...sometime in the early 90's state mental institutions released thousands of patients in the u.s., mostly schziphrenia (spelling) patients who were not a menace to society...i was homeless once...but for only 2 days...but even though i had the mental capacity to rise above the situation, so many do not...so i can truly understand how they get there...in detroit, mt. clems areas there are soup kitchens that offer beds for the night, but there is never enough for the magnitudes...if you come up with a plan to help them rd, count me in...god bless us all
 RDtoo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 12/17/2009 10:57:47 PM
I don't know what disturbs me more Michkat, the fact that there are people out there tonight living in a cardboard box or the fact that people are avoiding this thread like the plague....
 michkat57
Msg: 4
Homeless people
Posted: 12/18/2009 6:22:33 AM
it is disturbing...yet many people feel if you can't do anything about the situation then don't worry yourself with it...i'm having my 21 kids and grandkids for christmas dinner this sunday...so christmas day, i'm working in saginaw to provide a christmas dinner for the homeless...i wish i had enough cash to buy presents for everyone...but i'll do my best to spread some cheer...god bless us all
 majdog
Msg: 5
Homeless people
Posted: 12/18/2009 6:20:42 PM
RD, call 211 if you have it there or United Way. Find out where the overnight shelter and soup kitchen is nearby. Until you talk to him you don't really know his situation, he could be eccentric and ambling on home, lol. Some of these people know where they can get help but because of their mental state they refuse to go in for the night. Over here in my town when the temp. gets dangerously low the police go around finding them and urging them indoors for the night.
 Shrek9374
Msg: 6
Homeless people
Posted: 12/18/2009 7:12:18 PM
you can also contact Christnet this is temporary shelter organized by the local churches contact them at christnet48180@yahoo.com
 michkat57
Msg: 7
Homeless people
Posted: 12/18/2009 8:17:51 PM
oh my...oh my...oh my
 onceuponatime09
Msg: 8
Homeless people
Posted: 12/19/2009 6:12:22 AM
Most people look on homeless people with disgust. Someone very very close to me was homeless here in Michigan. There were people who loved him and wanted to help but it was a lifestyle he chose not to change or couldn't change because of drugs and alcohol. He moved to southern California where it was warm year round. That was where he was found dead after 20 years. Thankfully he had my mothers phone number in his wallet so she was able to fly him back to Michigan to be buried. I admire you for wanting to help RDtoo. I often want to do more than I'm able to. Giving to shelters and providing food and clothing is important.
 RDtoo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 12/19/2009 8:49:06 AM
I never heard of 211. I do know about Christnet but had no idea how to contact them as I think it moves from Church to Church. It seems to me that the Church should be available 24/7 if we take the words of Jesus seriously.

The guy I saw was at the Meijer gas station in Southgate. Like I said, it is unusual to see someone homeless around here. I guess that is why it bothered me so much. I think when you see someone in the inner city homeless you kind of expect it, and it is easier to put out of your mind after you leave the city. Not saying that is right just saying that seems to happen.

Thanks for all your responses.
 singleshy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 12/22/2009 12:05:17 PM
Hey,

Sorry it took me so long, havent been on lately.

Just thought I d offer an opinion from someone whos been there and done that a bit from all threads shown.

I didnt know what to think about homeless people except what my parents had taught me until I became one a few years ago. While there, yes I felt looks from people who belived themselves better than me, i didn the shelter bouncing thing, the under the bridges/ parks thing (usually only when weather was too warm for snow and ice),

But I digress

Once I got back on my feet, i stayed "friends" with some of the nicer people I bunked with.

Just 10 days ago, I helped a guy I knew come in cause it was teen degree weather, and I know he appreciated that chance.

They arent all bad, just the customary "few bad apples in the bushel" kind of deal.
 michkat57
Msg: 11
Homeless people
Posted: 12/24/2009 5:18:46 PM
i pray dear lord please help the homeless and desolate..we are the shepards of earth...must manking go hungry or cold?...god bless them all
 RDtoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 12/25/2009 1:53:54 AM
I don't have much family, and usually do not receive any Christmas gifts, which is fine as I think it is more for the kids anyways. Anyways, Christmas to me is attending the candlelight service on Christmas Eve which I did last night with a friend of mine. Sometimes people think a single person is lonely and needy at Christmas, but I felt blessed as I watched several families come through the Church doors looking anything but happy. You would see the mother come stalking in knowing that she had just got through yelling at her family. She was followed by two or three sulking kids and a father bringing up the rear looking like he wished he was anywhere else. I commented to my buddy that it was times like these when I witnessed such things that I felt blessed to be single. It got me to thinking about the homeless guy and wondering how he was spending Christmas.
 DebiDuzDishes
Msg: 13
Homeless people
Posted: 12/25/2009 1:56:16 AM
yes.. my house is warm.. i must count my blessings.. i cant imagine being homeless
 DU PANTHER
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 12/25/2009 5:50:29 PM
being homeless is no fun .. been there myself at one time ... oh I had a structure .. but was unemployed and it was this time of year and my furnace had broken and subsequently the pipes in the house froze and broke in many random places forcing me to turn the water off ..

so no heat .. no water .. its way down in the teens if not colder .. I borrowed wood from a neighbor to build a fire in my fireplace and slept on the hardwood floor in front of it .. well if u can call it sleep till the fire would go out and it would get colder again.

I had very little money that had to be rationed out for food n gas and ended up selling some very priceless items and borrowing money from my teenage kids to get enough for gas money to get me and my rattle trap car to Texas to stay with my daughter.

Between this thread and an Instant Msg I received from a long time online friend makes me thankful for what I have now , even tho I still dont have a whole lot. My online friend who is down n out on his luck shared with me he tried to kill himself last week, he left a note for the mailman, who came early that day and found him and called for help. Bottomline for this friend is in 32 days he is gonna be homeless and only has $13 to his name .. ARRRGGH and its soo frustrating cuz he wont tell me where he is other than near Detroit so I can go get him. Life dealt him a bad hand and he cant find the inner strength to rise above it, which I find really sad ... in many ways I wish he had not opened up to me .. I dont know what to do ... he considers any kind of help as charity and will NOT accept it. But its hard knowing what I know and feeling sooo helpless.

God bless those of you who are able to help or who have helped those in need .. you are truely that persons angel.
 joethompson44
Msg: 15
Homeless people
Posted: 3/4/2010 1:33:53 PM
I've also done the same thing. Went to a fast food restaurant and when I got back couldn't find the person. Makes you feel guilty doesn't it. Well don't worry to much about it, I've heard stories if they get to cold they'll throw a brick through a window and at least spend the night in jail.
 denisebr1965
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:22:40 AM
I'm never sure what to do either. However, there was a guy living under a viaduct that I passed every day on my way to work. He was there for over two years, through hot summers and cold, cold winters. He sort of had comforters set up as walls in the winter. He had a mattress and it looked like a little barbecue. When I was getting rid of things that I thought he might find useful, I'd pull over on the side of the road and leave them for him. I left some comforters, a warm winter coat, canned goods with a can opener (wasn't sure if he had one, although he probably did, he seemed pretty well equipped) and other stuff like that. He was "relocated" during the Super Bowl and hasn't set up his homestead there again since. I've always wondered what happened to him and whether he's ok. He seemed pretty resourceful to survive on the streets that long.

I was thinking the other day... with so many foreclosures, they are talking about demolishing whole blocks of houses where they are all abandoned. It's too bad they can't do something organized like the early settlers in the US did where if they could stake a claim on a property and stay there, fix it up some, get utilities going and just pay property taxes, after so many years, it would be theirs. I know this wouldn't work for the totally indigent, but it seems like it could work for those who are underemployed or have simply lost their houses but have jobs and are renting now.
 RDtoo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Homeless people
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:13:33 PM
That is a great idea Denise. They could at least give it a try.

What bothers me is that so many Churches focus on getting bigger and bigger and spend money on bringing in entertainment for the teens, while people freeze to death under expressways. It makes me wonder if Jesus would take a whip to the Starbucks style coffee bars set up in these Churches like He did to the moneychangers in the temple.
Show ALL Forums  > Michigan  > Homeless people