Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Vinegar - Does type really matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justbunky
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Vinegar - Does type really matter?Page 1 of 1    
I'm cookin' up a mess of greens tonight. I always add a touch of vinegar and got to wondering as I looked through my cabinets. I have apple cider, flavored rice, balsamic, white wine, plain old by-the-gallon vinegar, etc - that I seem to have accumulated over time, shopping for different recipes. It all tastes about the same to me!

I've also seen special vinegars flavored with herbs. Looks great on display, but vinegar is a strong flavor that I think overpowers anything you mix it with. So -- what's the scoop? Does it matter what kind? How do you choose? If you make your own variety, what's in it? And last but not least - how long does it keep? Forever??
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Vinegar - Does type really matter?
Posted: 12/18/2009 6:00:26 PM
Hmm, I've never seen anyone put plain vinagar on greens,, where i'm from some people use pepper sauce on them, trappeys, green hot peppers, vinagar, shaker bottle What kind of greens? Turnip? Mustard (straight leaf or curly?), Collard? Spinach? Swiss Chard? Beet greens?
I've never known anyone to actually use the sauce when cooking greens, it is used as a condiment
 stonemesa
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/19/2009 4:37:37 AM
vinegar is over powering in flavor because you add too much . just a little will do. your "touch" must be one glug too many.
I normally use plain white because that is what I was raised with. I normally just use it in my bean soup or with cornbread and beans.
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2009 5:18:23 AM
with greens, i use a white wine vinegar, in a tiny amount.

and i love herb vinegars. you can make your own by heating white or cider vinegar to almost boiling. then i pour it into a jar to which i've added a few sprigs of fresh herbs: basil, thyme or tarragon work well. i set it aside for a week or so, then strain and add fresh herbs to the jar. i use them for salad dressings and marinades.

fresh lavender added to cider vinegar, using this process, will make a nice hair rinse. it makes hair shiny, while smelling wonderful!
 raxarsr
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2009 1:52:50 PM
i think the best vinegar for greens beand and potatos [french fries] is malt vinegar......white for everything else but pickling tounge and deer heart.......thats what cider vinegar is for
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2009 2:53:48 PM
Pure Vinegar is rather acidic and strong.... perhaps try a hint of balsamic to give it a little punch with some flavour.

let us know what worked please.
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2009 8:48:16 AM
Yes! Each vinegar is distinctly different, as different as sugar is to honey is to molasses is to sorghum. It's going to affect the flavor of what you are using it for. In some cases, you want something mild, in other cases, something more strong. Some are more acidic than others.

Sit down some time and taste each one and you'll see how different they are.

In some cases the wrong vinegar will not give you the right taste. In adding it to salad or greens, use whatever suits your taste. However, if you are following a recipe, use what they tell you to use. If you don't, you may not get the results (flavorwise) that you want.

Vinegars vary in acidity. Some vinegars are stronger in flavor or acidity than others. Balsamic vinegar is lower in acidity, dark and flavorful, with a hint of sweetness. White vinegar is distilled and has a neutral flavor. Do not confuse this with white wine vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has a nice flavor and is a good one to have around, very versatile.

Vinegar is made by allowing wine or cider to turn sour. You can make your own flavored vinegar by adding herbs to a light vinegar and letting it sit for a few weeks. White wine or a light red wine vinegar are best as they won't interfere with the flavor of the herbs.
 Ideoform
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2009 5:35:52 PM
Have you tried using a little fresh lemon juice instead of vinegar? It goes great with olive oil and garlic.

You can also substitute any drinking quality wine or sherry in small amounts.

Some people have trouble with fermented products like vinegar because of the residue from the yeast fermentation process used to create them.

Also, you can get products that have no sulfites added. Sulfite is used as a preservative in wine, but can add a funny after-taste sometimes. I prefer sulfite-free products myself.

Apple cider is considered to have medicinal properties. Some of these recipes call for mixing some honey with the apple cider. Adding a touch of honey when you use apple cider vinegar might tone it down a bit for you.
 toolateagain
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/20/2009 6:42:29 PM
just so you will know, brown vinegar kills athlete's feet.you know the crap between your toes. soak your feet in it. lol.
 Gal_From_NS
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:38:27 PM
Here's my vinegar recipe.

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp. soya sauce
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. celery seed

Combine all in jar and mix well. The longer it sits the better. Pour over the amount you want onto the greens. The rest stays well in the fridge. You can even add this to cooked long grain rice.
 IdiotLuckBox
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:43:11 PM
raspberry vinegar with shallots for fresh oysters

white wine, rice vinegar, balsamic, red wine, sherry, champagne etc all great for diferent uses, but quickly using a neutral oil like grapeseed you can make a simple themed salad dressing and they are all going to be different
 Gal_From_NS
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/21/2009 6:29:59 PM
I will have to give that a try. Thanks for your suggestions.

Benedanti
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/23/2009 3:23:12 PM
I never got into the Balsamic trend that seems to grace every single recipie I find calling for vinegar. In fact, I hate it.

For salad greens, I use red wine vinegar or cider depending on what's left in my cabinets. Mostly Red Wine though for that.

I use cider vinegar mostly for the greens. To offset the pungent pucker, I counterbalance with sugar (a bit you still want that flavor to come out) and a couple of strips of bacon. It's a great flavor. It's kind of like how my omma made wilted lettuce.

I LOVE greens! Can you message me your recipies?
 justbunky
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2009 7:36:35 PM
Hey Beni - there's a thread titled "best damned greens.." (Sorry for the profanity, but I quote!) Check that out. But here's one recipe:

2 lbs chicken neckbones
4 bunches collard greens
salt & pepper
Dash of Tabasco
2T bacon drippings

Parboil neckbones until tender. Meanwhile, wash and chop greens, removing the tough center ribs. (Rolling leaves and then chopping is fastest.) Remove neckbones from water and add greens to the pot. Cook on low until tender. To retain the most nutrients, don't overcook. Add bacon drippings, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with vinegar on the side, for diners to use to their own taste.

You can play with any kind of greens (turnip, mustard, collard), in combination or alone. Also, salt pork, ham hocks, smoked turkey wings/necks or other seasoning meat can be substituted.

Here's another southern classic for greens, from my SOUL FOOD cookbook:

Pot Likker

4 bunches greens (chard, turnip, mustard, radish, beet, whatever is available - young is best)
3 quarts cold water
1/2 lb salt pork

Cut pork into strips. Add to water, and bring to a boil, then boil 45 min. Add greens to pot, and boil 1 hour. Drain water (conserve for use in other recipes, if desired) and season to taste. Enjoy!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Vinegar - Does type really matter?