Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Big 10 Conference      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bjarrell
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Big 10 ConferencePage 1 of 1    
Alright all you sports jock's! Who would you pick, to be the next team, in the Big Ten Conference? I've got two team's in mind! First,West Virginia! They play Big 10 style football.The other,how about the U.C. Bear Cat's down in Cincy? How about it who's your pick?
 steveemac
Msg: 2
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/23/2009 12:35:08 AM
Cincinnati would be a good choice, but would they leave the Big East? I'd like to see the Big Ten think a little outside the box and maybe bring up a team from one of the mid-majors instead of starting another domino effect free-for-all shuffling...some that come to mind are Marshall, Ohio, Ball State, Bowling Green, and Kent State. I've also heard someone float the idea of getting Iowa State to jump over from the Big 12.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 3
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/23/2009 5:26:25 AM
Just bring over someone who will actually show up in a bcs game will you?....

thats not too much to ask is it?
 dennyden
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/23/2009 6:53:22 AM
^^ it might be for the big10,lol
 Ezzee
Msg: 5
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/23/2009 7:48:18 AM
Why does the Big 10 need another team? I mean, it's called the Big 10 and there are already 11 teams in it, which is pretty ridiculous.
 dennyden
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/23/2009 8:21:07 AM
they need another team so they can have a conf.champ. game, i think all the confs. should have to play one.
 steveemac
Msg: 7
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/24/2009 11:20:39 PM

they need another team so they can have a conf.champ. game, i think all the confs. should have to play one.
This is actually a requirement of the NCAA: any given conference must have 12 teams to have a conference championship game-otherwise, you can believe that the Big 10, Pac 10, and Big East would already have one: the "Championship Saturday" has some of the highest ratings of the year; the other BCS conferences would love to get a piece of that!
 dennyden
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/25/2009 2:19:23 AM
This is actually a requirement of the NCAA: any given conference must have 12 teams to have a conference championship game-otherwise, you can believe that the Big 10, Pac 10, and Big East would already have one: the "Championship Saturday" has some of the highest ratings of the year; the other BCS conferences would love to get a piece of that

correct me if iam wrong, but didnt the big east and pac 10 play on that day? wasnt it pitt vs cinncy and usc vs zona? which is crap that other conf. can play on champ. sat. , if its not a true conf. championship game. so anyway they already get in on the action. iam sure it wouldnt be too hard to get schools to join the pac10 and big10, all of those schools that cry foul that they dont get in( tcu, boise st, utah.etc..) well that would be a prefect chance for them to jump in a conf. that does have a automatic bcs bid, also it would give us a chance to see how they do against better talent week in week out. just an idea!!!
 steveemac
Msg: 9
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/26/2009 2:16:33 AM

correct me if iam wrong, but didnt the big east and pac 10 play on that day? wasnt it pitt vs cinncy and usc vs zona?
Yes, they played those games, but they weren't conference championship games; they were scheduled regular season games. There's no requirement that anybody not play games on "Championship Saturday;" actually, the playing of all those conference title games is (likely) due more to the urging by the TV networks...the draw comes in the fact that those games are playoff games; which the other conferences cannot have-and it's coincidence that Pitt-Cincy had as much bearing on the Big East final standings as it did; I'm sure that's got something to do with why USC was scheduled to play AZ on that particular day; the Trojans are a good gamble to be in the Pac-10 title hunt every year-and they figured they'd ride the TV coattails of the true championship games that day...in other words, while you're gonna see a Pac-10 regular season game on Championship Saturday, it's damned unlikely to ever be Washington State vs. Washington.

As far as the other schools moving to the bigger conferences, I've been beating that drum for ages-especially in the case of Boise State; over 50% of their recruits come from California; seems like it would help them in that department.
As far as football goes, the Big East is a freaking joke: eight teams, and they get an automatic BCS bid? Money talks, I guess...
 dennyden
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/26/2009 5:10:55 AM
as far as the big east goes, i tend to agree with you on that, but the just keep in mind that they had the automatic when miami, va tech and bc where still in the conf. i do agree that i dont think that conf. should hold a automatic any longer. also my point is that i dont think confs. with out a champ. game should be allowed to play on days where real conf. champs games are going on, just my opinion, i dont care why it happens, i just dont think it should happen. thats kinda like the bengals playing the packers in a reg. season game while the colts are playing the patriots in the first round of the playoffs, it doesnt make sense.
 Yankee fan 37
Msg: 11
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/26/2009 8:35:08 AM
I'm a Big Ten fan -- Iowa Hawkeyes. Go Hawks! The Big Ten, for years, tried to get Notre Dame to join. I agree with the poster who says don't go after someone who would cause a domino effect in shuffling teams in and out of conferences.
 Yankee fan 37
Msg: 12
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/26/2009 8:39:59 AM
PS to Notre Dame -- They already play Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.
 dennyden
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/26/2009 9:44:00 AM
PS to Notre Dame -- They already play Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue

but if they played in the big10 how would they fit s.d. st, uconn, army , navy ,nevada and stanford ( ya know all them powerhouses,lol) on there sch.?
 Link6376
Msg: 14
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/26/2009 10:39:47 AM
The Big 10 has looked pathetic lately. I'm an Illinois fan so I'm also a a Big 10 and would like to see them bring in a powerhouse to help this ailing conference. Notre Dame probably will defenitely not join, they want to remain independent.

They have to keep calling it the Big 10, no matter how many teams are in it, because it's a classic powerhouse conference and it's the name that people know it by. Besides, if it grew to 12 teams....you can't call it "The Big 12" because there already IS a Big 12.
 Husker Freak
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/27/2009 5:58:42 PM
What does the Big 10 want to do?

Bring in a national name (Notre Dame)?
or
Are they looking for a lesser name that can bring in more television sets? (Missouri)

$$$ will have the final say.
 whowhatme
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/29/2009 9:06:55 AM

but if they played in the big10 how would they fit s.d. st, uconn, army , navy ,nevada and stanford ( ya know all them powerhouses,lol) on there sch.?

The same way Florida does it
 dennyden
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Big 10 Conference
Posted: 12/29/2009 10:24:34 AM
The same way Florida does it

really , well go look at strength of sch., the gators ranked much much higher then n.d., also when was the last nd beat a top10 or hell a top 20 team? then ask urself when the last time the gators did it? the gators play in the best conf in the land, so they play alot of good teams thru the year. i know nd plays usc every year, but the difference is the gators can beat the good teams they play , nd does not. last point, the gators play fl. state every year and miami every other year or so, i know nither have been really good lately, but still them programs have been some of the best since the 1980s.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Big 10 Conference