Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Your Music Collection and use of it      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zx12r998
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Your Music Collection and use of itPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Who here has a nice music collection? And what do listen with?
I have an extensive collection of numerous types of music. I have 80 gigs in my Zune. The situation dictates what I listen to from country to heavy metal.
 colt8301
Msg: 2
Your Music Collection and use of it
Posted: 12/29/2009 4:25:40 PM
Who here has a nice music collection? And what do listen with?
I have an extensive collection of numerous types of music. I have 80 gigs in my Zune. The situation dictates what I listen to from country to heavy metal.

well, as one guy told me, he said i had the most unstable music playlist ever. Lets see I have tons of movie scores such as themes from horror films and action films like rambo, die, predator, all ennio moricone movie scores. I have a little hip hop sprinkled in there mainly NWA and early rap acts. I have a little 80's rock like ac/dc, a little bryan ferry, simply red. I have heavy dosages of Tool, perfect circle and NIN. yeah I like little bit of everything.
 Ryan Mac
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/29/2009 4:42:04 PM
My music collection is pretty insane as well. I have an 80-gig iPod almost maxed out. I lean more toward heavy metal, but I also have a sprinkling of almost anything, including hip hop, country, blues, oldies dating back to the 30s, 80s and 90s pop, punk, new wave, and even stuff like classical, TV themes, and video game soundtracks.
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:01:11 PM
I used to have a massive collection of vinyl and CD's. My listening room was like a mini library...a few shelves of vinyl and racks of CD. An ex and I had a lover's spat (!) and she took the liberty of taking the whole lot to the tip. She got me where it hurt the most. That was over 10 years ago.

I have recently got seriously back to vinyl and I now have a strict criteria in collecting my music.
1) Its got to be music I really like, not off from the bargain bin.
2) Must be in pristine condition...i.e. brand new from the shop. Or really kept in good nick from another collector.
3) Only on 180-200gm vinyl.

I now look at what I've got and each one is a pleasure to listen to...I can pick any from my shelf with my eyes closed and know I would enjoy listening to the whole album. Whereas with CD, I tend to skip a few tracks. My CD player is hardly played even though its almost like vinyl in warmth and sound. Damn thing cost me a few grand.

I don't know how to classify my musical tastes...a bit of everything, but then again not really. Unusual, quirky stuff maybe. Although this last year, I've been accumulating slow-core type of music...such as Low, The Dirty Three, Boards of Canada, Yo La Tengo...that sort. Must be the getting-to-40-years-old thing. And I am not as angry as a young man that I used to be.

I still do not own an iPod. For portability, I still listen to my minidisc player. Lol! Its the only recorder I found to have captured the warmth of my tubes and LPs. And I always record with as little compression as I can. Basically one minidisc per album.

But its only to tide me over 'til I get home and switch on the tubed amps and preamps...spin the turntable and very rarely hear, the occasional pop and crackle of vinyl...endearing stuff.
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:15:08 PM
Pedro - my [ now ex] wife did the same - took my record collection to the tip - thats why she's my EX - it has to be one of the most vicious things they can do !!!.
Unlike yourself , I have rebuilt it with cd's - mostly Soul & Ska , but also Blues , jazz & African stuff , it's amazing what is available on cd !!
Oh and I use it for Dj'ing as well as listening at home
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:25:19 PM
Haha Brian, thank goodness there's one who can relate. Have you read High Fidelity by Nick Hornby??? Watch this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Esanwk37c

Kills me everytime I see it (or read it from the book). This is a deleted scene from that film. My favourite chick flick of all time...or is it a chick flick?
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:40:21 PM
Pedro - just watched - still laughing !!! . Read the book many times , is it a 'chick flick '? mmm , jury's still out on that one !!
mans obssesion with music !!! did you know that an original 7" vinyl copy of Frank Wilson - Do I love you , sold for £25,000 earlier this year ? - i have it on cd 8 times over !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvpeYiQwss

luckily I didn't have a copy 'back in the day'
 Byrd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 6:51:19 PM
I have about 300 CD's Folk, Reggie, Alittle Jazz, some blues, country, classic rock, alternative, easy listening, a little soul, some christrian, I'm a mutt when it comes to music. I have some casettes, and alittle vinyl too. I listen to something usually everyday. I have a nice "Old School" JVC Stereo I was given by a guy who was going to throw it away, it's real fu*kin loud one of the best stereo's in the neighborhood. I like putting Black Sabbith on it cranking it.
 artist_48
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/29/2009 7:39:55 PM
I have a lot if music- one of my passions. Many CDs uploaded to my laptop and iPhone/ iPod.
I listen to a wide array- alternative, hip hop, classical, jazz and jazz- fusion, pop, rock, country rock , etc.
I have a Bose system, Bose CD player, iPod, iPhone, another stereo system and radios. I listen to music 24/7 much of the time.
 jezdrummer
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:08:47 PM
blues, jazz, johnny cash, METAL ( all of it's subgenres) classical, movie scores, video game scores, world music, comedy, new age celtic stuff, fusion, funk, atmospheric,
 jezdrummer
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:11:13 PM
forgot to post use of my music ..

i only have a small cheapo mp3 player (2 gigs) .. i load it with whatever i'm in the mood for at the time. i have a huge cd case that stays in my car .. (over 100 disks)
and about 80 gigs on my computer.. silence irritates me i need music playing at all times or i spaz out
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 9:56:40 PM
I have about 800 CDs... the majority of which are film scores. the next largest genre in my collection is that of Electronic "Space" music(Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, David Hykes, Iasos, Aeoliah, etc.), the rest is mostly rock, classical, and various other genres.
I think the OP asked what type of system we use to play our music... I have an Onkyo CD player, and Onkyo receiver, a Sony tape deck(Yep... I STILL record my CDs onto cassette to listen to in the car! ), and I have a set of terrific JVC speakers that I salvaged from my old JVC boombox...may it rest in "pieces"!
 music_man1966
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/30/2009 10:01:50 PM
I have a very big music collection, i have hundreds of cd's. Jazz, blues, hard rock, heavy metal, pop, reggae, punk rock, classic rock, old school funk, r&b, oldies, house, new wave, disco, allturnitve, rap, progressive rock. I love music !
 salamander000
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 10:40:28 PM
Oh, I live to share music. I have about , I dunno 3,000 CD's with about 30 songs when KAZAA was free. Mostly blues, reggae, old stuff, lots punk era, just a lot, but there's so much out there!

I had a dozen computers downloading from 8 am to 4 pm, all the time running from one to another, it was great!

Um, what what that music share with the little blue bird icon. That was a pretty good online share source.

So, the advantage when we access to millions the reason to share one to one or is to keep from getting computer virusus, yes?
 junglejeff88
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2010 7:57:51 AM
I have a HUGE collection of music ... vinyl and compact discs ... all genres ... and listen to all of it. Guess this is where I spend a lot of my fun tokens. I'm passionate about music !!!

After the hurricanes of 2005 kicked our azzes, I started to digitize my music library because there was no way I could haul my collection in the event of needing to evacuate and carry anything else ... I've never downloaded music as I don't really need to ... and have a 1 TB external hard drive that is full ... I'm also friends with a lot of tapers who tape live performances at concerts and festivals, so I have a nice collection of live shows, as well.

I have the Wall of Sound to listen to my tunes when I'm home ... old style Sansui tube amps, Sansui and Bose monitors ... I just recently purchased an Ipod so that I could bring my tunes on the road as I'm traveling ... best thing I've ever done as it sure beats lugging all of those compact discs around ...

jeffery
 TheBigAndy
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/1/2010 8:28:29 AM
Mix of vinyl, CD, and Mp3. Been getting more and more into the vinyl lately.

Mainly listen to punk, post-punk, jazz, industrial, experimental, lounge/easy-listening, funk, psychedelic, krautrock, noise, 8-bit, and pretty much anything but classic rock :)
 theseus82
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/5/2010 3:18:41 AM
I had 80 gigs on my Zune, too. Now whoever stole it out of my car last week has 80 gigs on their Zune.

I listen to a lot of sixties psychedelica, some motown, stoner rock, doom and power metal, some classical, ambient, EBM, IDM, gothic-industrial, synthpop, new wave, shoegaze, nineties alternative, and then the few real songwriters I like: Tim Buckley, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Morrissey, and Nick Cave.
 chaswhatif
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2010 6:31:51 AM
Songlists set the mood,bring the party to a close.When"Happy Trails"plays people are gone.
And music reinforces: church,Nazi drinking songs.
The Grateful Dead and LSD,1975.
Beware of what your child sings.More than speech.

My uncle owns a radio station,so access is easy,but streaming media,'cause it's not good to listen only to what I wanna hear.
 junglejeff88
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2010 7:46:33 AM
^^^^ cause it's not good to listen only to what I wanna hear. ^^^^^

Couldn't have said it better ... if I only listened to what I wanted to hear, I would have never grown my appreciation for all genres of music as I have ...

jeffery
 RSwindol
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2010 7:54:50 AM
I use a Zune 80, which I wish I had bought 2 months later when they came out with the 120 GB with the same price.

But my music ranges from adult alternative to hip hop to classical and even folk. I don't get much into country, overly heavy metal, or heavy gangster rap. But I will at least dabble in most other genres.

I have a lot of music in my collection that people here in Mississippi don't hear on the radio, so I get a lot of strange looks when people scroll through my collection.

Aside from my trusty Zune, I also have a Logitech Wireless Jukebox, which is nothing more than transmitter connected to my computer, a receiver connected to my surround sound system, and a wireless remote that allows me to browse my computer's music collection much like an MP3 player. At my New Years Eve party, I had my Celestion surround sound system playing all my music on random inside my house while outside (around the fire pit) we listened to my Zune randomizing my play-list through a Klipsch docking station.

One guy told me "I don't know much of the music playing, but I really like it". A woman later said "can't you play something we know". He's invited to my next party...she may not be...lol.
 inkawgneegrow
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/6/2010 9:13:48 AM
Linda Ronstadt (sp?), Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Amel Larrieux, Stanley Jordan, Martina McBride, Christina Aguilera, Death, Decapitated, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, Wu-Tang Clan, Hieroglyphics, Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Gary Willis, Mariah Carey, Minnie Ripperton, Earth Wind and Fire, Rick James, Rx Bandits, Sublime, Midnite, Capleton, Steel Pulse, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Damian Marley, Stephen Marley, Ginjah, Al Borosie, Jah Cure, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Twista, Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Nevermore, Darkane, Naglfar, Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Buckethead, Primus, Bumblefoot, Guns N Roses, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmoninov, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jamiroquai, Fat Boy Slim, Entheogenic, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Bobby McFerrin, Chick Correa, Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Afro Cuban All Stars, Sizzla Kalonji, Black Sabbath, Dio, Aerosmith, Los Lonely Boys, PM Dawn...

And a whole buncha other shit... I only have a 30GB ipod but the majority of my music is on my hard drive for now. I need to get a bigger MP3 player. Probably going with a Zune since they're cheaper...

I've got somewhere in the ballpark of 7500 songs...
 Warped_Humour
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/6/2010 10:08:03 PM
Music, it cracks open my soul. Beside my iPod Nano that my bro was awesome enough to buy me for Xmas, I use the car and computer(with a sweet set of speakers and sub). When/if I ever own a house, it will be wired every room, hands down. I love to be able to flip on some music anytime, anywhere. I mostly have CD's and the rest on back up drives.

My musical taste is pretty eclectic. I know I have so much more to hear though. I am always happy and excited to find new stuff or have it introduced to me by others.

I go in moods as well. Last few years was mostly hip/hop and older rap artists. Right now, I have really been in the 50's and 60's. My Dad is always amazed I know the words to all the songs mostly. Well in the car it was oldies or country so I had to learn something growing up ;)

ABBA, Cab Calloway, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams(Sr and Jr), Patsy Cline, The Beatles, The Guess Who, Pink Floyd, Earth. Wind. and Fire, Parliment, Rick James, REO Speedwagon, Journey, BNL, POE, No Doubt, Mr. Bungle, NIN, Carmina Burana(sp?), Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, NWA, JAY-Z, Biz Markie, Beastie Boys, Linda Rondstat, Connie Francis, Metallica, Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Depeche Mode, Same Cooke, Rolling Stones, Skynnard, ELO, Steely Dan

Ska, Punk, Reggae, Pop, Old ass country(like even Sons of the Pioneer old), 40's, 50's, 60's 70's, 80's Grunge out of the 90's and alternative mostly is what I respect from that decade. Some Classical, Mediatation, Comedy, Soundtracks more and more

Rhymesayers out of Mpls has some serious AWESOME rap and hip hop artists like Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Toki Wright, Felt

I have to say I have been a little more closed off from mainstream in the last couple of years. I just don't get on most of it. Lady Gaga is cool but when people hype so much about someone, I tend to let it die down before I will give it a shot.

My car rides and trips are my own personal concerts. I sing right along. I am one of those crazies people see belting out the tunes. If I don't have the cruise on, I have to be mindful of the peddle, I will speed right up to a good kick a$$ tune like Synchronicity by The Police. That song drives me to want to speed EVERY time.
 metal|fingers
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/14/2010 6:46:26 PM
i've got a massive CD and vinyl collection. Almost all are first pressings and rare and out of print, no remasters or reissues here :D
 Ultra_Hottie
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 11:45:03 PM
I'm a huge Bon Jovi Fan so I have most of thier albums in my collection. However, I download all my music and then upload it to my Ipod, and then listen to it through my stereo.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 5:00:03 PM
I have around 300 CD's, recently transferred to hard-drive and further to Ipod. I'll tick off a few names for a couple categories, but the full list would be too huge to write.

Rock/pop - Bands that can play their own instruments. Generally not dance stuff, punk or rap, although there are exceptions - Kanye, Eminem, Ice-T, NWA. More often, I like particular songs as opposed to bands as a whole.

Alternative - More my taste in rock as a rule. I like the musically challenging bands like Soundgarden and System of a Down, Chevelle, Rage against the Machine.

Bluegrass, but not country pop - Charlie Daniels and Nickel Creek rule. Brooks and Dunn can kiss my ass, and they better not meet me in a dark alley singing "My Maria".

Raggae - Pretty much Bob Marley is all I know. Good stuff.

Jazz - Buddy Rich rules. So does John Coltrane, early Miles Davis (not the later crap), Charlie Parker, Dave Brubeck, etc. Smooth Jazz can equally kiss my ass. KennyG is the [censored] Anti-Christ.

Fusion Jazz/Arty stuff - Bela Fleck is great. Chick Corea, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Luc Ponty, Brand X (Phil Collins, mega awesome drummer)....I know, dating myself bad here. Ronald Shannon Jackson, Henry Cow, Camel, Brian Eno, BeBop Deluxe.

Metal - Metallica, of course. Also Sepultura and Pantera, although their overall repetoires not as good, but a few standout albums.

Classic rock - All the majors: Stones, Who, Zeppelin, ELP, Yes, Traffic, Cream, Hendrix (especially the Band of Gypsys), Genesis, VH (Diamond Dave, not Screamin' Sammy)......so many. REO speedwagon can kiss my ass.

R&B/Soul/Funk - Marvin Gaye rules. "Mercy mercy me" one of my all time favorites. Ray Charles and James Brown, of course. Earth Wind and Fire, Gap band, Chic and Parliment Funkadelic, although P/F to lesser degree to me personally. Barry White for pure mojo, baby.

World Music - Not so much, but there are exceptions.

Latin - Getz/Gilberto. Awesome stuff.

Classical - Beethoven rules. Piano in general rocks, although Spanish guitar rocks as well. Opera blows for the most part. What the hell are they talking about?! Carmina Burana (sp?) one of the exceptions.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Your Music Collection and use of it