Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women have stronger legs than men?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Arabian1Knight
Msg: 1
Do women have stronger legs than men?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, so the other day I was talking to a friends sister whose an Emergency Task Force officer. She is the toughest women I've ever met (Physically). She was telling me that women could naturally out-lift a man in lets say Squats for example. She is telling me due to the fact that women have to carry a child around for 9 months, they are genetically prone to having stronger legs (if they work out of course). Now normally if some one else told me this I would laugh..but she is like 5 " 6 with a very petite frame and squats almost 500 lbs which is just meticulous . I am skeptical ofcourse because of a mans ability to produce a lot more testosterone.

What do you guys think?
 Arabian1Knight
Msg: 2
Do women have stronger legs than men?
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:38:32 AM
I meant to say..."which is just ridiculous" so no one is confused
 SunnyTexas
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:40:39 AM
I believe it's true they have the capability to be as strong, but I don't know about stronger.
 jr123567
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:42:27 AM
I'm skeptical too. Men have stronger leg muscles, thus they are the world's fastest sprinters and speed skaters. Sure, there are a few women out there who are really strong. But I find it hard to believe a small-boned woman squats 500 lb. I mean, come on. And carrying children around has nothing to do with it anyway. Babies don't weigh 500 lbs., after all!

Women are more physically resilient and live longer than men. But bigger muscles, no.
 justwant2no
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:46:10 AM
I don't know about most women; I've been a swimmer practically since birth - and have got swimmers legs to prove it. I swear, I could crack a walnut with my calves. So I'd say that while, yes, they may be stronger than some, possibly most - my boss is an amateur weight lifter - and he could crush me like a bug. So, no.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:55:43 AM
Interesting post, there was a girl I knew in high school who leg pressed 460. She probably couldn't squat it because of upper body strength but I can't deny her legs were a lot stronger than mine. She proved it.
 AmoAngelus
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:57:40 AM
That is very true. Men are genertically stronger everywhere else, but when it comes down to legs. A womans are stronger than a mans. And for the reccord, leg strength has nothing to do with hormones. It's to do with the purpose they have. A mans legs are designed to carry a man comfortably. A womans legs are designed to carry her and her child. Which is why when you look at skeletal remains the legs are one of the things that can proove gender.

Muscle, however, is a completely different matter and when it comes to squats and thing, then it's whoever's fittest. But the bones...Deffinately the woman.
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:59:39 AM
Naturally? Pffft.

The thing is that the average woman and the average man will have musle in different places. A man's muscle is in the upper body, a woman commonly has more leg muscle.
^^^ average is the point. Two people that do not work out or equal physical labor for work or fun.
My mom told me this and it is also due to how men and woman operate, naturally. Women push things with their legs because we're stronger in our legs than our arms. So the legs build up a bit more. I move furniture by pushing with my legs.

So, yes, you take two fraternal twin, computer programming 30 year olds(so hormones are fairly plateaued) one is female and one is male, the sister will have more strength in her legs than her brother.

But, when you're talking about normal humans with different lives, the woman has more strength in HER legs than her arms, but not always more strength than a man.

However. When you get into body building, it depends on what you work out. The never working out computer programmer will not be stronger than your friend.
 Malice From Wonderland
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/29/2009 12:31:23 PM
Kinda depends on the woman...I mean wtf? Okay, some may be stronger some may not. Me; I have thighs that are super strong and thick; I body build and have genetics that most MEN do not have. 28" thighs and can leg press 550. And that is "comfortable." Right now do I press that weight? Not all the time (I alternate what I lift.). I am trying to lean up and am on a diet where all of the training I am doing is for a different reason. but as far as strength goes, yeah, I have it. A lot of strength and muscle has to do with genetics. I am Ukraininan. Put me next to some of the other women and it is night and day. Weight, body fat; you name it. You would never guess my weight or strength. However most of the guys I see all the time know better :) It is not all about Testosterone, however, Testosterone is a good thing. And we all have some. Just some more than others. As far as upper body I have that too. God Bless the Ukraine.Nuff said.
 kebemik
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 12:37:13 PM
I know that when I was going to the gym regularly, if a man used the machine before I did, I nearly always had to increase the weight on the leg press and often on the other leg machines. But on the upper body machines, I almost always had to decrease the weights.

I can leg press 420. I don't think that's my peak, either, but I haven't been to the gym in a few months. Any workout partners out there?
 Helen0426
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/29/2009 12:40:37 PM
I didn't know, so I did a search on it. One of the first things that came up was in a column by Wayne L. Westcott, Ph.D., fitness author and fitness research director at the YMCA in my city, in which he cites a 900-person study on relative leg strength of men and women.

The somewhat surprising conclusion was that there is no difference.
 EmotionallyDetached
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/29/2009 12:57:20 PM
Not easy waddling past 7 months of gestation for the next 9 months with 50+ pounds everyday, all day, with constant trips to the bathroom and then that bump sitting on top of you while you sleep. My legs were swollen and had to sleep with them elevated.

So yeah, I'd say we have stronger legs, especially when we have to flex them back bent and PUSH! Not easy with your hoohoo exposed and trying to push with your chin into your chest.
 fissionfusion
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:07:11 PM
LB4LB, women are actually stronger than men due to the way their metabolism and protein synthesizing works. 140lb Lucia Rjiker is not only stronger, but hits much harder than a 140lb male counterpart that is an olympic medalist. Males have a lot of fast twitch (tybe B) muscle which is all burst/speed strength and also tends to be a bit heavier.
 FrogsSnailsAndPuppytails
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:12:51 PM
Hey OP,

Read the responses by many of the women in this forum......They definately have stronger legs.

It helps them to jump to some of the nutty conclusions they reach!

Arabian1Knight
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:44:02 PM
re :jr123567

She actually squats 480 lbs...not 500 so I am sorry...lol...and she dead lift 375 lbs which is a lower back workout....She is obviously is an extreme case but that's because she is in the ETF force and has 3 gold medals in the police world cup. Bones have nothing to do with strength..that comes from muscle anyways.
 jr123567
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:49:09 PM
wow arabian1knight, that's amazing! Again, I realize a few women are indeed like that. And probably pound for pound, women can have some physical advantages. But just in terms of sheer overall muscle power, a man would usually be stronger.
 Cinder Malibu
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:55:34 PM
"Read the responses by many of the women in this forum......They definately have stronger legs. "

^^^ umm yes! ahem.. I can pop out a guys contact lens with my thighs.. too much info I know I will shut up now.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:58:37 PM
Cinder: LOL, that is too frekin funny!
 Arabian1Knight
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/29/2009 2:07:29 PM
re: cinder

You know...practicing optometry with out a license is illegal
 no_1_bby
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 4:14:06 PM
When my ex and I were first dating we would go to the gym and workout together. He did karate 6 days a week, not to mention worked in a physically demanding job, whereas I had a fairly sedentary job and didn't workout other then with him... and I could out push him when it came to lower body. P*ssed him off to no end.
 Arabian1Knight
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/29/2009 7:26:28 PM
"Read the responses by many of the women in this forum......They definately have stronger legs.

It helps them to jump to some of the nutty conclusions they reach!"

LOL....best response I've heard so far
 flyin squirrel
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 9:12:16 PM
(In a Schwarzenegger accent)
I vil crush your skull!
 TheNewDeal
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/29/2009 10:22:22 PM
9035768 has it right. Take a man and woman of equal height/weight. The woman's legs are bigger, proportionately a larger percentage of her entire body mass. For a man, his chest and arms are proportunately larger.

This is why women's asses always look bigger than men's asses.

This is also why men get tired of lifting women's legs during sex -- it's over half your body weight. Imagine!
 24DegreeAngel
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 10:40:45 PM
Ahhh... everything I see in the gym indicates men work their legs at significantly higher weights than women. However, it's far easier for me to tone up my legs than my arms... and guys are the opposite. Lots of buff guys with chicken legs at my gym... hehe...
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 10:47:00 PM
Men are upper body strong and by comparison, lower body weak.

Women are upper body weak and by comparison, lower body strong.

So, they're opposites, SORT OF.

Men are still overall MUCH stronger than women, so I would still say that many men have stronger legs than women.

I, personally, have VERY strong legs. (I've done a LOT of bike riding, hiking, running and weight training.)

A guy friend of mine has legs like vice-grips. WTH. I've never seen, experienced ANY thing like it. And he's pretty average build, not really muscular, just basic muscles.

That's all I can come up with. I don't really know overall, who has stronger legs.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women have stronger legs than men?