Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why does my ex-girlfriend want to hold on to me as a friend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Darryl_C229
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why does my ex-girlfriend want to hold on to me as a friend?Page 1 of 1    
My ex and I broke up a few months after she moved away. The break up for me was hurtful but after a while I got over her and began to move on. Why all of a sudden does she want to call me and ask me questions like " What does it mean when a guy does this or that" or tell me about her relationships. Then she wants to know about my relationship status am I dating or screwing someone. When I ask why do you wanna know?", its always I was just asking. Ladies please help here?
 GMCAcadia
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why does my ex-girlfriend want to hold on to me as a friend?
Posted: 12/29/2009 4:25:32 PM
To dictate your life... When you get together with someone new, she'll turn on a few of those old feelings just long enough for you to get rid of her... It's the classic "I Don't Want You, But No One Else Can Have You" syndrome...

Cut her loose...

Don't get me wrong, there are Men that do it to women as well... It is in no way a Gender thing...
 no_1_bby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 4:37:53 PM
Does she answer you when you ask about HER life? If not, she's using the same technique my ex uses on me. What's going on in his life is his business, but he HAS to know what's going on in mine. I say FU.

Ah.. ok.. she's asking to be nosy. I say tell her. Tell her ALL the dirty, juicy details. Don't leave a messy, sloppy, drippy moment of it out for her.

Caller ID. Get it. Use it. Don't take her calls. Problem solved.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:02:11 PM

Tell her ALL the dirty, juicy details. Don't leave a messy, sloppy, drippy moment of it out for her.

hah, i like that, especially when you're intimate with another woman. Tell your ex everything she wants to hear, hell, make stuff up. As explicit and TMI as you can. By the sounds of it your gf is doing what mopegunz said, so I'm guessing that will shut her up fast.
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:03:09 PM
Sounds like she might be trying to make you jealous and/or hoping to get back together.

brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:03:45 PM
Tell her this next time-"now that we dont date, my sex life is none of your business. When we dated, I did not discuss my sex life with my exes, and I wont do it with you either"

It doesnt tell her anything about your love life, and she should get the hint that you have boundaries and they are to be respected.
 NarcissusTemple
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:39:17 PM
I don't know her personal motivation, but I've always liked to stay friends if the guy was amenable to it.
I've genuinely liked and respected the majority of men I've dated.
The contact does become more infrequent, though, and eventually most of them fizzle into oblivion.
 Mellyvanelly
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:46:41 PM
Like Mopegunz said gender has nothing to do with it. My ex was doing the same thing until I told him how I felt. Haven't heard back from him since.
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 6:39:32 PM
Are you INTERESTED in getting back together with her?

cowgirlcad_sus
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 7:09:41 PM
I agree with Mopegunz, Cut her loose and move forward.
 whenwillthiswork26
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 7:17:48 PM
She is missing you and trying to save what little she can of her relationship with you.
She is probably lonely and wants to keep the good part of what she had, the talking.
She might be hurt by the break up and is trying in her own way to
end the pain of losing you.
Talk to her when she needs to talk.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/29/2009 7:18:41 PM
OP: It could very well mean she just wants to have a platonic friendship with you. However, considering that you were hurt in the process, I don't think it's a good idea to entertain her questions. Assuming you may still have some feelings for her, and this makes it difficult for you.

I have remained friends with exes because although we did not work out romantically, we genuinely liked each other's person.
 Darryl_C229
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 7:58:38 PM
I probably would if she wanted to!!!!!!
 B711
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 8:30:41 PM
Msg 11. Was she there to hold him & listen when his heart was broken..prolly not. She needs find someone else to help with her heartbreakers' remorse...not her victim.

Msg 13. If it didn't work the 1st time around, what makes you think it would work now?
You are setting yourself up for major heartbreak. You won't only have your heart twice broken but you'll also feel like a gullible dumbazz if she dumps you again. Time to move on.
 central-scrutinizer
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/29/2009 8:46:24 PM
I probably would if she wanted to!!!!!!

When a woman breaks up with you, it's over. Even if she begs you to take her back, she will dump you as soon as she finds the one she's really looking for. If getting back with her is what's keeping you on the line, Fuggedaboudit. Move on. Let some other chump be her councilor. Put your energies into your next girlfriend.
 Moitas_V_PT
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:08:00 PM
This is why I do not associate with any of my ex's!!
No drama to ever worry about in any way shape or form, it's perfect!!
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why does my ex-girlfriend want to hold on to me as a friend?