Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Quebec  > What has happened to this forum? No one comes here anymore?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TravelingLight
Msg: 1
What has happened to this forum? No one comes here anymore?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
What is going on? Nobody in Quebec on the forums POF anymore? Or they don't know about the forum?

Must we invade the Ontario forum? :p

Unfortunately there are a lot of Quebec members but they don't go on the forums.
 TravelingLight
Msg: 2
What has happened to this forum? No one comes here anymore?
Posted: 1/3/2010 10:42:35 PM
Gawd that was repetitive, forum, forum, forum, forum... sorry I wrote that without thinking about it much...

ok, so can we have more forumites? Is that better put?

please! (we have cookies )
 pomolive
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/4/2010 8:39:19 PM
seems its just me who posts in the forum
 TravelingLight
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/5/2010 3:39:26 AM
There used to be a bunch of people here. I've visited before. Now they're all gone...

sigh...

nice that there's still another person posting..
 Suju
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/5/2010 4:30:39 AM
For as long as I've been visiting pof's Quebec forum... It's always been, more or less, a lame duck. Nothing worth sinking your teeth into, I'm afraid. Furthermore, since they've made changes to the global forums... they seem to have been going down the proverbial hill too. C'est la vie!

On a more positive note... It would be nice to see interesting posts here, don't you think?
 TravelingLight
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/5/2010 4:41:03 AM
Hi suju

And what changes have they made to the global forums?
 pomolive
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/5/2010 1:02:51 PM
yes which ones ?I haven't seen nor heard of them.....
 janedoe16
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/20/2010 5:44:32 AM
Are there actually some people here in montreal looking for an interesting forum.Cool.Hi everyone I'm in if that's ok?Any suggestions...topics like heavy duty ethics or light fluffy daily complaints?
 hippyhip
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 9:02:26 PM
Suju or anyone else:

I heard somewhere on here, that POF prefers if you stick to your own designated province forum, is that a fact?

Kind of sucks if that is the rule, no, i haven't read the rules..
 The Brain
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/23/2010 11:59:16 AM
Yeah, Quebec forums tend to die slowly and dully (is that a word?). I don't know why, maybe because a lot of people don't bother to look for their local forum and just read from the list in the main page?
 Commonsens
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/28/2010 11:21:36 PM
3 main reasons for this:

1) The people who used to "make" Pof, especially here in Montreal have moved on or are no longer doing anything Pof-related for various reasons; but some of us are still around, but simply no longer interactively. Lauren is probably the only one left doing something from time to time.

2) Why go to a Quebec specific section when you are prohibited to speak your own language! (yes, guess what: there is a lot of Francophones in Quebec..but are banned if they dare to speak French in here!....now you may understand why some become separatist); so they moved on to sites less racist where they can express themselves and communicate in French if they want to.

3) The "forumists" prefer the larger "general" sections: more data!
 janedoe16
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/29/2010 5:36:00 AM
Are you sure about that..banned? Many profiles are written in French.What are you basing your comment on?
Separatism now there is a juicy forum for us simple folk on pof in Quebec to have fun.
Also it is us..the individuals who write in the forums that develope them .If we don't communicate it ends ,the POWERS THAT BE aren't the ones contributing to the conversation.
Why wait for the FORUMISTS we can add more data.Take things in out own hands but we need each other to develope this and if we all desert this local site to add more to the as you call "general" site then ya we won't have any local chit chat.
 Commonsens
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/29/2010 6:09:11 AM
Janedoe, seams you do not know whom I really am (or should I say whom is Commonsens):

Been on this site many years, was one of the primary poster on the forums (mostly in the general one), been the co-host of Montreal PoF parties (in case you didn't notice that it was only Lauren and I who where organizing anything here for years), did receive myself a "lockout" about it and got my posts deleted, knows and have directly met people who got banned and account deleted and IP blocked; So I know what am basing myself on FIRST HAND experience.

There was also several debate in this very section about it ( I even participate in many) and they ALL been deleted almost automatically by the admin within minutes or hours.

So Yes I am sure! several people did get banned and account deleted to have posted in French in the forums as (to them) it is a breach of service terms. Complaints have been made to authorities about forbiting one of the offical language on the forums and the response was: Private site from Alberta, nothing they can do. Yes people could have taken POF to court: who will pay the legal fees in a case agains't a guy who pocket 1M every 3 months in Google ads? Now you get it.

Do not confuse with writing your profile in French (something that admin/mods do not see or care) and with the forum (who has high exposure), which is a complete different matters and also not the topic here.

Now, the Joke is that am Europeen, not a Quebecer; I spend 95% of my time speaking only in English, but I do understand Quebecers to be pissed when they are faced with been not allowed to speak their own language in their own house (this is Quebec section) and see all the contest "open to all" (except Quebec residents printed in the fine lines) and so many other examples.

This was #2 and it is one of the real reasons why so many people either left the site or stop posting: Those people told me directly when I was reaching/inviting people for POF parties and "moderating" a couple of things in here what their reason was and their answer was simple exactly what I mention in # 2 reason!

Welcome to sad reality, Janedoe.

janedoe16
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/29/2010 6:36:01 AM
I know racism exists I however did not know about the site coming out of Alberta and deleting French discussions.I think its very sad.
I wonder if it is not how both sides approach each other.Not to deffend or protect anyone but just to be impartial.Maybe...let's give an example if there were a Ukranian language newspaper in Alberta to cater to that particular ethnic group and people wrote articles in English would it not seem self defeating.Maybe.....if this site is to target Anglophones in Quebec they feel there are Francophone dating sites and want to keep only the English discussions .I personally like the mix of both English and French but not everyone feels as we do...due to maybe their negative experiences as Francophones in this supposedly bilingual country.Or as Anglophones in a situation you describe.What I'm getting at is we all have experiences and unfortunately our behaviour is a reaction to those experiences.
 Commonsens
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/29/2010 7:05:41 AM
Last time I checked: Ukranian was not one of the OFFICIAL language of this country, but it doesn't matter; the reactions (to ban and block IP of a user for example) who use French in this forum (while the few ones using Spanish for example, gets just a warning sometimes!) clearly shows that it was done for a specific way: Racism, Quebec hate...pure and simple; clear abuse of position to enforce self philosophy and well knowing that no one will ever do anything about it!

Also, if you go on other sites written in French to target Francophone, you will NOT be banned or blocked if you post in English (I did the experience myself when things where "hot" about this topic in here); so what does that tell you?
Yes of course, there will be many users who will be telling you that it is a Francophone site, but you will not get sanctions, deletions, bans or blocks about it.

I will agree with you about posting in the general sections, but here in a specific Quebec section (7 million people and most are Francophone) and be oppressive about enforcing English only!? come on!

So Francophone people simply do not bother: Either they get "assimilated" and speak only in English or they go elsewhere where they can have their freedom of speech and be able to communicate in the official language they are most comfortable with.

janedoe16
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/29/2010 7:22:18 AM
I'm not involved in forums here or other sites as you seem to be therefore I will not argue with you on these experiences you say happened.If however this is a private site the powers that be have the right to allow or not allow whatever they like [whether it's the language you use or just you personally].If you don't like it go elsewhere.It is only this site that will lose by demonstating distasteful behaviour and losing profiles .
By the way good luck to you getting acceptable governmental assistance or health care as a Francophone outside of Quebec in this OFFICIAL language .All the beauty of our province , its diversity, and its complexity can not be understood or appreciated by outsiders.It's not black and white no matter how you want to present it.We can only hope to extend our minds , and maybe someday....
 Commonsens
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/29/2010 7:52:59 AM
"If however this is a private site the powers that be have the right to allow or not allow whatever they like [whether it's the language you use or just you personally]"

Hum!, outside the fact that even if it is private or not, none is above the law and all are bound by it, beside, when you make such industry (extremely public), there is no such things as "private club".
But I wonder if you will say the same thing if you go on Canadian francophone site and get sanctions, bans and block for posting in English? Still saying "it's private they can break federation law or it's OK"? my guess is Nope. you will say: racism and you will be right too! The difference is that if one side do something about it, it is "upholding the law about official language and protecting freedom of expression" and if the other side does it, it is "must be those separatist Quebecers and their stupid 101 law". Two standards as usual.

Personally, I will not care if some people where to post in, let's say Russian: they are communicating and targeting people who does understand them; who am I to say "hey! speak French or English" on a forum or trying to inseminate myself or trying to regulate their communication and post? If I do not understand, it means that it wasn't meant for me, so I do not care.

Wasn't the (pretended) goal to make people get here and for them to communicate? YES. Will the admin receive less money if he have more people but speaking different language on post? NO. Will that harm anyone? NO. Will that cost anything? NO.
(the joke is that he even maybe make more money by letting people use multi language as the advertisement market will be greater).

So where is the problem here? It sit behind the desk of this one man operation site.

I completely agree with you about the impossibility for "outsiders" to see the beauty and diversity of this province; but this 'way of thinking" to exclude any side from anywhere shows me that they also cannot see the beauty, diversity and complexity of this entire planet made open to everyone with the Internet; and this is pathetic.
Another reason why people can't get along and this world is in the mess it is.
 janedoe16
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/29/2010 8:24:46 AM
I'm sorry you see all this the way you do.It shows me why we are in the situation we are in.No one tries to understand the other...it reminds me of when we all were kids and had a fight with a friend and stopped speaking then said they should apologize and the other said the same[why should I say sorry let them do it first nanana ....now now children].Time goes by the original arguement is long gone but the hate grows the distance grows simply out of stubbornness.Maybe you were banned not for writing in French but you seem to be provoking hate or reciprocating an injustice you feel that was done towards you.Instead of talking about lawsuits...why not contact the powers that be explaining the desire to express yourself without assuming why they did what they did was racist.Maybe it was I don't know but discussion is the only way things can get cleared up.If they don't want to talk, approach in a more diplomatic manner maybe you are coming across as hateful and angry to them so they back off.I can undersatand if they react that way.No insult intended but I get that impression of you too.
I obviously know little of the law but why would this site not have the right to strictly keep English even with the "biligual"status?Then how are there only Catholic private schools and Curves a gym only for women legal.Isn't that why it's private?
 Commonsens
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/29/2010 10:27:07 AM
So you're sorry that there is in fact a dual system of justice and laws?
No i wasn't "banned" for whatever reasons you try to pull off or "profile", as (and that's also a kicker) it was during a promotion for a POF party as some people where inquiring (in French) if they could speak French during the party or if any Francophone will attend! (so hilarious).

Yes, after a couple of years of oppression (let's call a cat a cat and let's stop hiding behind "what if's and terminologies) I became "hard line" and very direct about it, if you try to judge or "profile" me here as you seams to do; but one way or the other, it doesn't remove one bit of the reality of this site, it's methodology and the truth. I simply have the "cohonas" to say it "as is".

I found it a bit funny that you said about "non understanding" and "stubbornness" when you cannot see the simple fact that am right now communicating with you in English by my own free will (when i could simple say nothing or not replying at all) but at the same time have the Damocles sword of sanctions if I do it in my own, official language by the site.

So who is the one who is "one sided" and demonstrate a complete lack of understanding or whatever you want to call it ? the users or the site? Bingo: the site.

Discussion you say? we (users) where all for it, we wrote hundreds of messages to the admin over the years. answer? none. Sanctions? goes on.

I interacted several times with Markus Frind directly when I was an Org for this site, until he started that little game of banning and sanctioning other users; I even told him all the advantages of simply "let's them speak their language", answer: none. Few weeks later, that's when I got my Ban...while promoting POF !!!

So I had only two options:

1) Stop using Quebec's primary language and one of Canada's official language in the Quebec section.
2) Close business and move to another site and leave my many Anglophone friends behind.

I choose to endure: too many friends who spoke only English and also that business was great in those years.

Now I do not care anymore: am no longer org or co-host anything (I've moved on and refuse to make this site one bit of publicity or money) and as for my Friends, the ones that do matters knows my e-mail; so am here just for the forum and if I get banned (which I suspect will arrive after telling the truth about this place): I don't care (it will also prove reality).

How much evidences you need to open your eyes? If an admin from a Francophone where doing the same things, I will kick his arse too, even if he is of my "cast", if i can remotly associate or identify myself as this; so I fail to understand why you keep defending or trying at least to atone what this fascist and racist site does...and try to pin it on a user; ignoring completely facts, actions and reality?

If I where to be mean or twisted: I could say that if an Anglophone admit it, it shows that Quebecers where right all along about this whole thing and do have grounds to want what they want; and that's why it's never admitted, or at least never completely.
 Commonsens
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:17:45 AM
Oups, I do not know why or how I made that mistake: not Alberta but British Columbia.
(or was it at the beginning in Alberta? Can't remember..not very important anyway)
 janedoe16
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/29/2010 12:43:45 PM
If Anglophones admitted to past and present discrimination, racism,and prejudice it may come a long way to heal wounds.Also there are apologies from the Francophone side as well for vendictiveness or retaliation although perhaps well waranted doesn't help build any bridges.Back to where I was saying not promoting hate and ....I don't want to repeat myself.As for my view of private...I said I'm definitely no expert in law but...if people would be writing articles to the Gazette in predominently French then call it Le Devoir and get it over with.I know bounderies can be unclear but when it comes to private businesses it's a freedom of theirs to decide and yours to ban them and not want to be associated.I understand you invested time and maybe money and were disillusioned by their choices but too bad.If you work at a bank and think they should lend money to the homeless too bad.Open your own company and lend them.It is unfortunately not your decision when it's not your company.Doesn't mean they are making the right choice but it is only theirs to make.
 Commonsens
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/29/2010 2:42:46 PM
No need to be a big lawyer:
Federal laws applies to everyone and everything without exception (well, unless you're a crooked politician or have enough money to buy your way out LOL!). Official language is Federal, but not enforced anywhere but in Quebec; and am OK with it, I used to live many years in SW Ontario and I never dreamed or expected to speak anything else but English over there, because the majority are Anglophones. (In Rome do as the Romans)

I totally agree with you that "both sides" have an history of retaliation (although I do like the term "sides" as we are all one on this big ball), but we are not speaking of history here, we are talking today of what does an admin do to the users, users who did nothing to warrant that and are simply the recipients; one of the reason WHY so many people have left and why some prefer not to communicate in public at all, either out of fear of sanctions, or lack of complete grasp of the English language forced on them.

But to show you a little bit of the person you are "protecting":

He wrote today (which is rare) on a very controversial thread; take the time to read the whole thing and his reply on post #288 in "Relationship section, Do you want to be matched by your income on POF thread.

You will understand in a flash whom we are dealing with, and the "BS" that really goes on here. Does he actually thinks that people are stupid or something?
 TravelingLight
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/29/2010 6:13:16 PM
^^^It's in the off topic section.

I'm wondering where we're going. A few years ago it was smoother sailing. Except for that stupid thing of letting people vote on deleting a thread or not. You can't trust that threads will not be deleted due to revenge, nastiness, stupidity, etc. And in some cases it has IMO.

I had a thread deleted which could have been a fun subject of conversation. But some people called it a "list, a poll," etc., which is forbidden. But it wasn't that, just an invitation to discuss something.

Even then it's pretty annoying that we have to have such criteria. Can't we just talk about something without having to follow strict guidelines for a thread?
 hippyhip
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 7:20:35 PM
commonsenses:............these people won!

eHarmony Settles Lawsuit, Will Merge Gay and Straight Dating Sites

Dating site eHarmony has settled a lawsuit in California by agreeing to end the separation of its homosexual and heterosexual matchmaking services.

eHarmony agreed to open a site for gay and lesbian customers after another lawsuit in 2008, but it did not cross-promote or even link between the two sites, and it kept subscriptions separate.

A gay man from New Jersey named Eric McKinley filed suit against eHarmony in 2008 for not offering matchmaking for gays and lesbians. eHarmony settled by agreeing to launch a service for gay and lesbian customers called Compatible Partners. eHarmony’s launch of Compatible Partners was called a “shotgun wedding” by the Los Angeles Times, though. There wasn’t even a link to Compatible Partners at eharmony.com.

Furthermore, Compatible Partners had a completely different subscription system. Bisexuals had to pay two subscription fees to have access to both sexes.

The newer lawsuit was settled in California yesterday. eHarmony will add its name to Compatible Partners, link it from the main eHarmony website alongside its Jewish, black, Christian and senior portals, and unify subscriptions. The company will also pay out $500,000 to around 150 Californians to settle. That’s in addition to the $1.5 million it has spent defending itself in court.
 Commonsens
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:07:09 PM
Good for them! Great to see that a group is willing to fight for their rights and freedom!
and It does Hippyhip:
Discrimination and segregation can be of ANY aspect: Race, color, religion,language, gender, financial situation, sexual orientation, handicap etc etc.
We are more "used" to racism as the very name implies race and therefore color, which is something that everyone see and no one can hide but it has it's basis in the discrimination and segregation of a specific group, no matter what group it is.

This site make several types of discrimination and segregation.
Markus Frind should be in front of courts for MANY things.

If that was the case here, am sure that it will be an easy win too, but when it come to French-English debate: it become highly politicized and therefore no one want to step in; especially if it is across province. Of course the government simply looks the other way in fear of re-opening debates who might lead to end this scam federation (in case some didn't knew that this country is a federation)

The only recourse will be that all members that did have been banned or have their thread deleted because of language used in the Quebec section do a private suit based on discrimination and segregation; It will be very easy to win, but also none have the money to battle a now multi millionnaire and fight at the same time an entire country who just want to hide the problems (and solutions) under the carpet.

Thanks for the post hippyhip! and also thank tryingagain for the info: I didn't knew they moved it.
Show ALL Forums  > Quebec  > What has happened to this forum? No one comes here anymore?