Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Texas Tech      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arecpea
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Texas TechPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Am I going crazy, or am I the only one that thinks that this is being made into a big issue because of who it was. I know it's wrong, but i dont see the harm in having to sit in a dark room during practice.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 2
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 12:54:03 PM
I will preface everything I say with: I don't follow college football.
I have no idea if the player is a good player or a bad player.
I have no idea if Texas Tech is a good team or a bad team.

It's being made into a huge issue by BOTH sides. And the media.
The coach, who thinks putting adults in time out is a valid coaching strategy, sounds like he is in over his head. It sounds to me like the athletic director agrees with me. College football is big business. You can't run a business like a day-care facility. You have to be able to manage egos, and if you cannot, you are incompetent.

The player, who tattled and fibbed. Hey, wait, maybe he SHOULD be treated like a child! lol It sounds like a lot of ego. I don't know him or his dad, who is supposedly famous. I DO know one blog post/editorial where they referred to the kid as "Adam James, son of ESPN's Craig James" every time they mentioned him, the implication being that THAT is the real reason the kid got his way and the coach got fired. I seriously doubt it--what AD is going to put his lucrative job on th eline for an ESPN announcer?

Hey, by the way, Broncos coach got into trouble for sidelining a famous player because he refused to play hurt. Most people are lauding the coach for dealing with the guy's ego THIS way (not allowing him to play). I think THAT is how I would handle pretty much ALL "disciplinary" problems, frankly. The kids want to play, dont' let them play on your team if they don't like the rules of your team.

I know it's wrong,

You know it's "wrong" but think it's "okay"? That doesn't even make sense.
 arecpea
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 1:03:06 PM
Cursing is wrong yet we still do it.

College coaches ake treatment schedules more grueling than practice so that players wont fake injuries. It's wrong, ut i see why they do it

College and NFL are two totally different worlds
 Meh2k
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 1:11:45 PM
Mike Leach was the best thing to ever happen to that program, this had more to do with who that kids dad was then what Leach did
 HDready10
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 4:12:31 PM
ive never heard of such a thing, from pee wee to pro.
and i tell ya im not going in that room. looks like tech officials overreacted.
but he should have been reprehended in the fat girl joke.

GO FROGS!!!!
 climbsagain
Msg: 6
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 7:14:44 PM
Mike Leach was the best thing to ever happen to that program, this had more to do with who that kids dad was then what Leach did

If the kids dad was the real issue what kind of coach was this guy that he was allowing the kids dad to influence how he ran his program. Sounds more like he was hitting back at the dad through the kid. Is this how a coach motivates his team?
 arecpea
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 7:59:43 PM
No its how a coach deters players from faking injuries and missing practice. Just like people call in sick, when theyre not. Alot of times players come up with excuses so they don't have to practice.

Do you really think this was done as a motivator?
 broncsbuff
Msg: 8
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 8:26:34 PM

No its how a coach deters players from faking injuries and missing practice.

faking?...Dude had a concussion for goodness sake.

this has nothing to do with who's son it is, it has to do with Leach playing the bully. If he had a problem with the kid, then kick him off the team, he proved nothing by putting him in a darkened room for two hours other than he is a big bully.
 Meh2k
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 8:40:03 PM

If the kids dad was the real issue what kind of coach was this guy that he was allowing the kids dad to influence how he ran his program. Sounds more like he was hitting back at the dad through the kid. Is this how a coach motivates his team?

Great college players are like royalty in Texas, this is a non story had it been any other player. TTU are a pretty cheap program as well they found an excuse to back out of the big contract they gave Leach after last season and did it. He'll have no problem finding another job and TTU will go back to being the laughingstock ofthe Big 12 south
 Pyro74
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 9:01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4792320

The players seem to support the firing and say Leach was getting out of control.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/4/2010 10:20:22 PM
^^^^^^^ So do I, right after he was made to do exactly what those kids were made to do ~ but for MUCH longer and without ice. Frickin' jerk.
 climbsagain
Msg: 12
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:55:22 AM
With the attention focused on head injuries in football nation wide it is a mystery as to why a coach would choose this method of dealing with a head injury. Perhaps he knows more than the doctors that treat the team. perhpas he is not very smart. Or he just doesn't care what others think.

Bottom line the coach was striking back at the parent. Does this show leadership skill or does it indicate a bloated ego? Yes the coach can find work again. Question is what big time program will risk taking a look at this guy. Imagine coan Leach trying to recrui t players after placing a injured player in a dark room? I would like to hear how he explains this one to parents of blue chip prospects?

College programs rely upon the base support including parents of the guys on the team. This guy burned a bridge that may never be repaired.
 arecpea
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:06:54 PM
OK, Leach is weird and he works his team very hard. He does alot of unordinary things. The players didnt like him because of alot of the things he did. But who the hell was texas tech before him.

When you make rehab worse than practice, players can't be lazy and opt to go to rehab and fake hamstring pulls or whatever cause they had partied too hard at the locol club on college night.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED ( cause im phsycic)

The kid got a concussion and with that, ur not allowed to workout (because it causes headaches). Probably said that the sun was giving him headaches. So being the genius he is, he said, well i can't run him, and i can't have him outside. He's not going to sit in the training room, and watch tv and text girls. I have to make his time away from the field foolagazable, so he sat him in a dark room. BOOM. I should write a book
 dennyden
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:10:06 PM
^^^ so u think that he would have done the same thing to g. harrell last year, do u think he would have done that to any starting qb? i guess is no.
 arecpea
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:02:51 PM
He runs a 2 qb system. U think he cares about what his qb's feel about him. NOPE. One throws a pic, and send the other one in. You say it in the bowl game. Yes it wasnt Leach but it was a coaching strategy that the OC felt comfy with because it was something theyve done all season.
 Meh2k
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:13:58 PM

^^^ so u think that he would have done the same thing to g. harrell last year, do u think he would have done that to any starting qb? i guess is no.

Leach can turn walk on QBs into all Americans, name a QB that hasn't had good numbers in that system under Leach.. Harrell was no where close to as valuable to that team as some think, that system and Crabtree where the main reason TTU was competitive last season
 IamChris97
Msg: 17
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 7:37:28 PM
The medical staff told leach that adam james could not practice and needed to be out of the sun. leach told them to put him in that dark room which included a exercise bike and a ice bath. Craig james called the coaching staff several times complaining about his sons playing time. as far as im concerned Craig James is partially responsible for how his son was treated. no other parent complained about any playing time for their kids. Given what he does for a living and trying to influence a coaching staff because of who you think you are is terrible.

my $0.02
 broncsbuff
Msg: 18
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:29:52 PM

Craig James is partially responsible for how his son was treated.

If he was upset at Craig James he should have went to him. He took out his anger his son just to get back at the dad.

If he didnt think he belong on the team, then just cut him. Pull his scholarship. He didtn need to take out his anger on the kid who really did nothing wrong other than being told he had a concussion...

Leach wanted to play the bully.
 IamChris97
Msg: 19
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/5/2010 9:03:51 PM
why should a coach go to a players father? and why is the father going to coaches to complain about his sons playing time? Adam James never once complained to any coach about playing time nor complained to them about how he was treated. Craig James stuck his nose in where it didnt belong period. I repeat a person from the medical staff told leach that Adam should not be out in the sun and players are required by the school to attend practice as per scholorship requirements. He told the person to put him in the room so he could exercise if he chose to or use the ice bath if he felt too hot. It got made a big deal of because of who his father is. the school took the chance it had to get out of the new contract to avoid paying Leach the $800,000 that was conveniently owed to him the very next day. Sounds fishy to me. as posted before by other Texas Tech would be nowhere without Leach.
 dennyden
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/6/2010 2:36:45 PM
Leach can turn walk on QBs into all Americans, name a QB that hasn't had good numbers in that system under Leach.. Harrell was no where close to as valuable to that team as some think, that system and Crabtree where the main reason TTU was competitive last season

well if u throw the ball 75 times a game every game, who wouldnt have great stats, one name for you, timmy chang. didnt that guy put up huge numbers as well.
 dennyden
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/6/2010 2:41:28 PM
He runs a 2 qb system.

really, when did they start doing that?
2000-2002 was kingsbury
2003 was symons
2004 was cumbie
2005 was hodges
2006 -2008 was harrell, go look it up they didnt run a 2 qb set, maybe for a couple of games but thats not there system at all
 IamChris97
Msg: 22
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/6/2010 2:44:15 PM
I agree Dennyden as far as i can tell its been a 1 man system at tech.
 a bit nomadic
Msg: 23
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/6/2010 11:14:17 PM
Tech was looking to fire Leach before Dec 31st and they found their reason. Craig James is close to Kent Hance, and he had been harrrassing Leach for months.
Adam James was disciplined with stadium steps two days before this all happened, and was pissed as hell.

But regardless of whether or not Leach should or should not have put Adam wussy James in that room, TTU should NOT have terminated his contract BEFORE launching an investigation of the event. The fact that they took his bowl away from him AND the $800,000 that he was supposed to be paid the DAY AFTER they fired him (again, without investigating the allegations) says everything to me. Plus, the Dallas Morning News has published a series of emails between Hance (the chancellor) and the ex-chair of the Board of Regents (and huge booster) discussing (in the context of Leach's contract negotiations last year) ensuring a contract that would make BREAKING it after a yaer not too expensive for Tech. And guess what?

Leach has been at Tech for ten years and we (yes, WE--I'm an alumn and native Lubbockite) have had ten bowls. Plus, he's not just an amazing offensive coordinator, he's brought our player graduation rate from bottom of the pile to 8th in the nation at 79%. Yes, he disciplines his players==not just for laziness on the field (like Adam James) but for laziness in the classroom. He's a quirky intellectual with a law degree from Pepperdine; he is NOT a good ole boy, which the regents and chancellor hate; he can't be controlled; and he doesn't kiss ass for people like Craig James, who should NEVER, with his influence and JOB (he calls TTU games for ESPN) called Leach about his kid's playing time EVEN ONCE.

There is corruption here, and people with too much influence making problems for their own agendas. Leach, I hope, will take TTU (and possibly Craig James and/or ESPN) for millions.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 24
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/6/2010 11:35:17 PM

put Adam wussy James in that room,

tell me...what makes him a wussy? He was diagnosed by the team doctor with a concussion. Did you expect him to practice?

Craig James is a dad, and only did what ANY dad would do. If Mike Leach had a problem with Adam James as a football player, then pull his scholarship....no need to be a bully..

not just for laziness on the field (like Adam James)

what makes him lazy?...your making assumptions and im pretty sure you have NEVER even saw him practice...

This young man was diagnosed with a concussion by the team doctor. It wasnt like he was faking it.
 MGMLION
Msg: 25
Texas Tech
Posted: 1/6/2010 11:54:10 PM
I'll say Mike Leach will go from Red Raider to the Oakland Raiders right after Davis fires Tom Cable.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Texas Tech