Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > "Brick" north african pastry shell.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dspicy76
Msg: 1
view profile
History
"Brick" north african pastry shell.Page 1 of 1    
I lived in Paris a while back and was introduced to this amazing Marocain snack. I havent seen them back home, and have looked for the pastry shells at middle easten markets. I finally came across them today at the market, right beside the Filo dough.

Now all I need is the traditional stuffing recipie or recipies, and tips on preparing this dilicious crispy dish.
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Brick north african pastry shell.
Posted: 1/12/2010 11:22:11 PM
Sure, I have made it. LOL That is my own dreamed up version. I spoke about this a year or more ago in another thread here. I have never had anyones recipe, or even written down my own. I usually make things as I go anyway and never measure or follow some guideline, but all I know is I had heard about it a very long time ago, or I dreamed it and I was not even sure where it was from, but was pretty sure it was along the Mediterranean somewhere. I do have Middle Eastern heritage, so who knows where I heard about it.

Finally, I just made up a recipe and made it a few times. Now that you say it is Moroccan, I would say I did a pretty good job at creating an authentic country of origin recipe. As far as authentic as a recipe, I wouldn't know. Here is what I did...

Brick
You already have a nice pastry dough you said, but I have done it a couple of ways
1. I made a simple pumpkin turnover dough (I do the dame for some empanadas)
2. I used eggroll wrappers (gets very nice and crispy in this single layer with lots of air bubbles under the skin)

When I had leftover lamb, I chopped up the meat small, like in 1cm pieces (that is about a half an inch right? I am trying to make it easy to understand LOL)
~pumpkin, in 1cm cubes
~onion, chopped
~carrots, grated
~preserved lemon, just a very little minced
~parsley, fresh flat leaf chopped
~nutmeg, freshly grated or ground mace
~cumin, seeds toasted and freshly ground
~corriander, seeds toasted and freshly ground
~tumeric
~cardamom, white pods ground
~black pepper, freshly ground

I cooked the pumpkin in olive oil until softening, added onion and carrots and cooked until golden and pumpkin very soft, added spices, lemon, parsley and lamb and cooked until all mashed and hot.

I spooned a large amount, like 1/2 - 3/4 cup onto a pastry sheet and made a hole in the center of the filling. I dropped a duck egg into the hole and sprinkled a light dusting more of nutmeg and cinnamon all over everything.

Brush the edges of the pastry sheet (if making your own make it about the size of an eggroll wrapper 5 X 4) with an eggwash (beaten egg with water).

Place another pastry sheet over that one and press edges together very well, except part of one end. Then carefully press the filling to fill up all of the inside spaces of the dough (don't press the egg). Then seal the final part.

Place the "Brick" in a skillet with hot shallow oil, exactly as it is laying. When golden, turn it over and cook the other side until it is golden. Turn over onto a sheet of kitchen paper to drain well.

Place on plate with some fresh herbs dressed with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon. Yum!!

I hope this is something like you are looking for. Please let me know what you had. I am very interested because I have never been able to find a recipe for this and was wondering if I dreamed it. I have also made it once with white fish and some caraway and not cinnamon or nutmeg.

I am so glad you posted this! Maybe now I can find out what it really is LOL

SS
 Dspicy76
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 12:03:36 PM
Duck eggs! I wonder where I can find those... are they tastier then chicken eggs?
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 1:10:01 PM
Yeah, they are a lot tastier than chicken eggs, and so are goose eggs. All eggs are good. Ever try Ostrich eggs? You didn't yet say what was in the Brick you ate, or what it was like, Please!

SS
 Dspicy76
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 1:36:52 PM
Im sure there was tunafish and onions, Im not too sure if there was an egg in the mix.
The seasonings where strong, but the best part of the Brick, is the CRISPY crust.
Its folded in such a way that it becomes a pocket.

The Brick sheets are essential! I remember seeing them at most grocery stores in Paris, but here in Montreal there rare.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 7:57:44 PM
I've had duck eggs ... I make pets of any animal! and we had pet free range chickens, ducks, geese, peahens, etc. ... we harvested the eggs frequently ... I was able to sell the chicken eggs, especially the brown ones ...

the free range chicken eggs were WONDERFUL ... but the free range duck eggs were only useful in baking ... the yolks stay high and round when you cook them ... very pretty ... and they were HUGE ... more than twice as large as most of the hen's eggs ... but I found the taste of the duck eggs to be too gamey ... but that's just ME! I'm a real wuss about what I eat ...
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 9:18:38 PM
Molly, you have certainly taken food niche's to a new level. You are the first I have ever heard call an egg gamey. I so love duck and goose eggs that I find it hard to eat a chicken egg, unless it is free range and brown, green or blue.

Dspicy, tuna and onion in a fried pastry? I think I will stick with my invention. I am going to call up a Moroccan I know and see what I can find out about this dish.

SS
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/14/2010 12:24:38 AM
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/brick-egg-tuna/

there is a link for similar recipes on the page, hope it helps
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 10:45:49 AM
Okay, I have it straight from the Moroccan born and raised, horses mouth. If I had known these were Moroccan I could have had this solved years ago.

They originated in Tunisia and Morocco.
It is not a Brick, but a Brik, pronounced Breek.
They always have an egg in the center.
They can be fried or baked.
Tuna is a much newer version and rarely ever found in Morocco, mostly in France.
The recipe I made up is a perfectly authentic version.
The dough is folded over to form a triangle, not a rectangle.
The whole point of it is to cook it so the yolk is runny, that is what defines a Brik.
I may have heard of these in her house years ago when we lived near one another, but she has not made them in this country.
This person was my best friend for 20 years and we lived close, so I probably did hear of them from her.

I am so glad I finally found out.

SS
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 5:26:10 PM
Warka Pastry is the actual name of what you are looking for.

The pastry is used to make Tunisian Briks or Brics (which are sweet or savoury filled parcels) and Moroccan Bisteeya (traditionally a pigeon pie).

here is a link that shows the pics of the cellulose like pastry, which is already cooked when you purchase it. Ready to assemble your Brik with either sweet or savoury fillings.

http://cookalmostanything.blogspot.com/2007/08/warka-pastry.html
 Dspicy76
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 9:16:01 PM
Great stuff! my mouth is watering, mmm egg yolk runny.

I'll try your recipie, but maybe with butternut squash!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > "Brick" north african pastry shell.