Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I need to see a dentist, but don't have dental insurance...what shoul      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Palifornia562
Msg: 1
I need to see a dentist, but don't have dental insurance...what should I do?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
For the last few weeks, my gums bleed whenever I brush my teeth. My gums in the back of my mouth seem to be receding, so I really need to go see a dentist. But I do not have dental insurance, and do not want to be stuck with a very high bill. What the heck should I do? I really need to have my gums and teeth checked out, I just don't want a $10,000 bill!!
 AZWendySH
Msg: 2
I need to see a dentist, but don't have dental insurance...what should I do?
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:32:18 PM
Find a dentist office and ask about a payment plan. Also let them know you only want a general checkup-no xrays etc--unless the cost is cleared ahead of time.

Usually bleeding gums are a sign of gingivitis. Up your brushing both in frequency and duration (use a soft toothbrush), floss after every meal, make a habit of rinsing your mouth after eating or drinking if you can't brush or floss, use an antiseptic mouthwash morning and night.
 Vancer
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:43:45 PM
Palifornia562, just think about when the last time you went to a dentist was.
Don't be worried about telling us here. It is none of our business.

But for me I went years without seeing one, and I had to get a very thorough check-up and cleaning. I was very ignorant and lazy, and did not realize how badly plaque build up can get and how it affects my gums. My dentist has me come in every 3 months for a good cleaning to keep me in good shape. You can feel with your tongue the difference it makes. It is highly irregular for someone to have to come in that often, but I can really use it and have insurance.

But since you have no insurance, make that clear to them. As AZWendySH mentioned you can discuss a payment plan, and they can space out your appointments to something you can afford. You might need to take care of some cavities at first, but with regular dental cleanings and good oral hygiene routines you won't have to worry after that initial work is done.

The bleeding gums are more than likely just a sign that your brushing is agitating inflamed gum tissue. It is probably due to plaque build-up which can't be removed from brushing alone. The back of mouth, and for me the back of my front bottom teeth is where I get plaque build-up the worst. They have to clean that off professionally.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:46:58 PM
You could also try a medical school's dentistry department. Those students have to practice on someone, and with their future license hanging in the balance they aren't likely to mess up - especially when someone qualified oversees them.

You might be able to get your needed treatment for free, or at a greatly reduced price thanks to that.

Plus, you'd be helping a future dentist get his license to practice.
 fishiesfishies
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/18/2010 12:05:35 AM
a) sensodyne is an excellent toothpaste for bleeding gums and sensitive painful gums....it does truly make a difference.
b) soft toothbrush
c) do not forget to floss...
 Outdoor2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 12:24:49 AM
^^^(M_G)Might be good for a pre-cursor investigation and advice, but if some serious work needs to be done, I'd spent the money on an experienced dentist. Do some research on local dentists through friends and family...it can go along way towards peace of mind (and wallet).

Know some basic terms about teeth and the diseases that can occur...it will go a long way in helping you decide whether the dentist is being honest or not...(many years ago I had one who, I swear, had dollar signs in his eyes while speaking to me!)

My dentist offers a 10% discount if I pay that day. He also works hard and reducing my costs as much as possible as I have no insurance.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 3:05:41 AM
Most counties have indegent care which includes dental, payment is on a sliding scale on income and expenses.

Bleeding recieded gums could have many causes, but some are infection and side effects to medications...I suggest gargerling/rinsing mouth with lightly salted warm water, 3x a day.
 Tokie-Oh!-Roze
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:16:32 AM
I agree with all those who said you have gingivitis (or periodontal disease). After one gets that gum disease, you will never really get rid of it, but can keep it under control.

You will have to start brushing and flossing at least twice a day, and you will need to get your teeth cleaned 3-4 times a year instead of 2. But you should have been brushing and flossing regularly all along. And you should have been having them cleaned twice a year anyway. You may also need a perodontal rinse that your dentist gives you -- or maybe just Listerine that is labeled as being for gingivitis.

When you go to the Dentist he will do a type of cleaning (called a periodontal scaling) that costs about $400 - $500. That's a lot -- but hardly $10,000.

If you start taking care of your teeth and continue to get cleanings 3-4 times a year your condition will improve. After the scaling, teeth cleainings will cost about $100. But you will also need to get exams and X-rays every six months. If you take care of your teeth, you will probably not get many fillings, and hopefully no crowns for quite a while.

Taking care of your teeth is kind of like changing the oil in your car -- pay now or pay later. If you don't clear up gingivitis your teeth will loosen up, and you will eventually lose them.

If your credit is good, there is a nation-wide dental credit plan tht is interest free for one year. Your dentist can help you get this approved.

I also notice that you are in Southern California. I am currently in Texas, visiting my niece. She recently had some dental work done in a good office in Juarez Mexico. Crowns there cost $349 - at most. A lot of people go there if they need a lot of work or cosmetic dentristry. If you need to do need to do that, do your homework and find one with a good reputation that is across the border from you.

Good Luck! I hope for the best for you.
 MOD3
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:42:57 AM
Palifornia..In California there has to be a dental school somewhere..I go to the Dental school in NYC.I probably save up to 60% on all of my dental work.My one implant would have cost 1000 or more at a reg. dentist. But I paid 400..They also give you one free emergency a year(they pulled my molar out for free)..I would just call a few of the schools and see what they have to offer...MOD3
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 9:48:44 AM
In addition to the excellent advice you've already received OP, you do need to tackle this issue aggressively because while gum disease can be treated, the recession of your gums cannot. You are too young to have gum disease to the extent that you describe - gums recede because of plaque buildup and/or aggressive brushing with a too-hard toothbrush.

In addition to the scrupulous cleaning that you need to adhere to, it is very important to have a series of x-rays taken at some point. There is no way to avoid visiting a dentist, unless you'd like to be looking at your teeth in a glass on your nightstand......If gum disease is not treated, the gums may swell, forming a little pocket around the tooth. Plaque collects in this and cannot be removed by a toothbrush - only a dentist can help you keep your teeth in this case. If your gingivitis advances into periodontal disease, your teeth could start falling out.

Bleeding gums are also associated with vitamins K and C deficiency, and there is some evidence that links gingivitis to a coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) deficiency. There are also risks associated with plaque bacteria in the mouth and heart disease - bacteria can leave infected gums and enter the bloodstream, triggering an immune response and and making the heart's artery walls inflamed and narrowed - Google is your friend here.

What you can do right now (low cost, temporary solutions):

*Brush at least 2 times a day GENTLY with a soft brush, and floss every day.
*Use a toothpaste specifically for sensitive teeth
*Rinse with saltwater
*Increase your update of green leafy vegetables and fruits
*Consider buying a Waterpik which won't remove sticky plaque, but will stimulate and increase circulation to your gum tissues

It is worth it to spend money to maintain your health.

G'Luck.........
 sosdd
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/18/2010 10:25:24 AM
Good advice; however, DO IT NOW. Google causes of heart attacks, getting an infection in your gums can cause heart attacks. You can not neglect your teeth. A great smile isn't just about looks, it is about health.
 whowhatme
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 10:45:11 AM
A dental exam and cleaning should run around $200, or less (it's much less in my part of the country-I'm only guessing it will be more since you're in CA). Not too much money for someone who is a territory mgr. You won't qualify for any indigent plans as suggested by others, unless you lie about your job.
If you need more work, you can probably work out a payment plan. The worse thing you can do is nothing, it will only get worse and cost more.
For future reference, see if your company has a 'cafeteria plan' so you can put pre-tax money into a reimbursement account, and schedule an annual exam/cleaning.
 somephxguy
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/18/2010 11:01:49 AM

What the heck should I do?

Shop around.
Call dentist offices ask for a price schedule.
Go in for the cheapest service and get them to diagnose and ask them what actually needs to be done or can be done.
Ask them their prices.
Call other places, describe the service, ask for an estimate.
Some places will charge you less if you are a "cash pay."
Save up money.
Ask about payment plans if the cheapest or most moderate or whichever dentist you like is too expensive.
 Tokie-Oh!-Roze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 12:22:51 PM
Also, you might want to double check your employee HEALTH insurance.

Sometimes they do have some mininal dental coverage tacked on -- that may be overlooked by patients Maybe a "dental discount" plan where you have to certain dentists, but you get preventive care free or 1/2 price -- and some dental work for 1/2 price.
 2funnyhaha
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 2:06:15 PM
Welcome to America. You do what the rest of do. Pay and pay and pay.
 Trishayellowrose
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 6:30:59 PM
I agree go to a Dental School.
I used to say Mexico but with unrest there I can't see it.

I know your pain. I have been thru it. No insurance here either.
All the wishes in the world for it to correct itself will not work.

Poster are right any infection from teeth can cause heart problems.
Nothing to fool around with.

I went thru what your are going thru years back. They did this scaling and etc.
Not fun but it has to be done.
Pat
 Twilightslove
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 6:38:57 PM
If there are no dental schools in your area you could get a passport and head for Mexico. Dental work is extremely cheap in Mexico compared to the US.
 edencapwell
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 7:11:57 PM
dental insurance isn't all that great anyway, they usually pay half but it's still expensive. i have insurance and went to a new dentist who told me it was cost approximately $7,000 to correct everything in my mouth!!! then had the nerve to tell me to either apply for a Capital One credit card which i could use for the work or borrow the money from my parents!! yes, you heard right. some nerve. obviously they are only after money and really don't care if you are in pain and cannot pay. the goal is to get out of debt, not get deeper into it.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/19/2010 8:56:30 PM
It certainly won't cost you $10,000 to get your gums checked but you will need to go regularly to a Periodontist.

If there are any actual "dental" problems then you make have to fork out the big bucks to have your teeth fixed.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 11:02:47 PM
You're not too far from Mexico. There are some very good dentists in the Tijuana area.
 GingerGirl30
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/19/2010 11:24:29 PM
If you can afford it, consider a Sonicare toothbrush.

I have a problem with chronic dry mouth (no, not dry mouth from chronic, actually Sjogren's Syndrome) and had been using a Sonicare for years. Due to the inability to afford several crowns I got a partial lower plate recently (Sjogren's is murder on teeth, seriously, even with brushing and flossing multiple times a day, and it's really hard to reverse decay), and the oral surgeon who extracted my teeth was really shocked. My gums were the healthiest he said he'd seen in a long time, even in comparison to his younger patients who are coming in for wisdom teeth extractions -- the problem was I needed several root canals and crowns due to the decay to the actual teeth. He said he had to really work to get my teeth out because they were so well attached.

The action of the toothbrush massages the gums, and it does remove plaque very well. It also makes you brush each quadrant for the proper length of time by having a timer in the toothbrush. My dentist credits it for why I still have any teeth in my head given that I don't produce saliva very well at all.

Anyway, enough of my nasty problems advertised on a dating site. Sonicare for the win!
 ferruginous
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:17:20 AM
Perhaps you could look at getting an insurance policy that covers dental bills.
Make some enquiries about what plans may be available to you, and ask how long it takes before their dental insurance becomes effective.
 JWG86
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/20/2010 12:07:38 PM
As stated, dentists do payment plans.

Floss
Use anti-bacterial mouth-wash
Use a "Soft" brush
Brush circular or up/down, not a "sawing" motion.
 123carrie
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 1:10:00 PM
Call you local Department of Social services and ask them for a list of dentists that base their charges on a person's income. Or apply to social services to see if your income is low enough that they will pay for it. It's a good place to start anyway....good luck.
 Foxi Pavement
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/21/2010 2:26:10 AM
I agree with dental school in a local university is where I where to go when you don't have coverage. When I wasn't covered half an hour was free for a cleaning at the university the rest was a set amount to the time after. In canada my dental cleaning would be around 112$ or 124$ without my work coverage with x-rays. oral-b cross action battery operated tooth brush for 8$-9$ cdn good investment they get right to the gums and really make a big difference even though you look lazy having one hahah but I recommend one and noticed a difference owning one... they clean really well just start off gently and you will FEEL a difference right away trust me...your gums are bleeding when you brush your teeth because they are slightly sensitive or infected or not used to the brushing I am guessing... can be medications too if you're taking any... just keep up with the brushing...when I had bleeding gums when I was younger while brushing my orthadontist told me brush till they bleed!...so... I guess that was a hint I wasn't brushing enough...Crest is the best tooth paste for your enamel up against Colgate and the all the other ones if you're aiming for cleaner infection free teeth......I tested it out in science class in grade eight that is how I know... get a mouth wash that has *fluoride* in it and if you get dry mouth one with fluoride and without alcohol in it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I need to see a dentist, but don't have dental insurance...what should I do?