Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > What has gotten you concerned with Politics?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Faust_And_Furious
Msg: 1
What has gotten you concerned with Politics?Page 1 of 44    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
I am really interested in hearing how you have come to get involved or at least concerned with Politics. I realize I am young, so maybe this is something I will eventually be concerned with, however I could never quite grasp the need to discuss such matters.

To me, when politics amongst two people come about, it seems to become a forensics course or philosophy. Meaning nothing changes other than one displaying their own personal knowledge with one giving himself a pat on the back, rewarding himself for his "knowledge" in the matter.

I see people get so emotional during such debates, when it benefits them not, unless they seek the desire to be educated which is not normally the case. It isn't exactly sports, see if you played a sport in high school, you may watch it professionally to follow it, as it has always been your passion. Yet those who are concerned with politics, from what I see (not saying this is the general case), it seems more just to vent, pride yourself on your research, argue with someone, or whine about things. Or am I missing something?

I hope I did not offend anyone, I am just an inquiring mind here making generalized points of view from only what my eyes have seen.
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 2
What has gotten you concerned with Politics?
Posted: 1/23/2010 2:51:07 PM
The big events that affected my desire to learn about not just politics, but history, philosophy, psychology, religion, let's just say the humanities, in order. Vietnam, 1968 in it's entirety (assasinations, civil rights riots etc), ..then a real lull when I was brain dead...marriage, children (harder to watch other's kids suffer when you have them), divorce, 9/11 and the reaction to it, college.

In short, I think injustice and adversity prompted my desire to learn about politics. Life happens.You get tired of being powerless. You get angry with injustice and suffering -yours or someone else's. You have questions and you want answers.

I agree some people use it like a contact sport. Some people do not express themselves well and it comes out stupid or insulting. You can find the humanities in literature, movies, theater, music, lots of places. There are some good discussions online, but more turn into what you describe.
 andy510
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/23/2010 4:15:05 PM
When I was around 6 or 7 years old, I used to watch a President give wonderful speeches and that is how I got my nose in politics from a young age . Who is this President ?. That is a top secret.....hahahaha !.
 skoochie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 4:20:06 PM
I try to follow politics because our future depends on society staying in tune with who our leaders are and what they are doing. I say "I try" because there is so much our leaders want to hide from us, and the media no longer has "journalistic integrity" because they are more interested in entertaining us. For example, there is still a rebellion going on in Iran, but America has heard more about Tiger Woods' infidelity because that sells. Iran's domestic dispute may actually have some bearing on America's policy making in the future, while Tiger Woods has absolutely NO effect on anything important to America other than gossip. My point being, if I don't help watch the hen house, the foxes in Washington are going to destroy it with the help of their corporate sponsors who control the media.

People do have differing opinions on how a representative democracy should be governed. We get passionate about the differences in opinions because we are allowed to. We debate/argue the best way forward because we are still trying to form a more perfect union. The modern discourse is mild in comparison to civil war.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/23/2010 4:43:03 PM
As a Constitutionalist and thus a patriot, politics is local with me. Since most laws that effect me are local and then state. Its one reason I choose to live in an area with a sheriff and not a police department. Have run for school board a few times and have worked on various local campaigns, and love knowing what is going on around me.

~Beth~
 andy510
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2010 6:33:59 PM
Politics is vital for our survival . politicians bring laws that affect our taxes, schools, families, wars, peace.....etc. so everyone ought to be engaged in politics at all levels . There are many levels of politics and they are all worth a participation . Your mayor, your governor, your congressman, your senator, your president......etc have a say in your life and can make your life miserable as hell like when you are sent to an illegal war......etc .
 Faust_And_Furious
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/23/2010 8:02:51 PM
True, I like how you all shared how your interest was gained in this topic. I just see people often affected by things and either not making enough of a difference, or the higher powers that be (that pull the strings in this country), continue to get away with things. We have "conspiracies" with new information brought to light that is easily "forgotten" and those responsible continue to get away with it. I know that those of you out there who make change or take part in it, I thank you for what you do, as this country isn't in total chaos, yet...

The way I see it, there are higher powers that are going to pull the strings and make secret deals regardless. If they simply cannot agree, one with either over throw/take the other, or then will they listen to the people (example, Presidential Elections. Not all, but it does happen, so I hear... just being honest).

I dunno, when I hear of all the crooked things that go on, with some serious thought... It can be so overwhelming that you almost want to flee the country, feel that sense of pending doom, or simply just wish you lived in another time period.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/24/2010 9:36:53 AM
I have a vested interest in who is in charge as a soldier. There has always been the haves and have not, and there always will be. The question at the end of the day is what can you do as one who is not part of the power structure.

Equality is a myth and you can look at history to prove this. I want to be left alone to succeed or fail on my own. We all have views that lean one way or another but when the elected use laws and tax policy to push their agenda then they have lost my trust.

Bill Gates could not have existed in Communist Russia unless he was part of the party. What we have in America today is the same principle, follow the party line and you are on the in crowd.
I have no love for the republicans but the blatant favoritism of the Obama administration is unmatched, GE, SEIU, ACORN, and many more. If you buy into his agenda you will get all you want, just follow the money.
The media is useless anymore, they are supposed to be the watchdogs of the government but that has failed miserably on both sides of the aisle.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 10:29:57 AM

I hope I did not offend anyone, I am just an inquiring mind here

No one should be offended, that's the point, we all should have an inquiring mind and want to ask questions, and debate things. Politics are very important, It in fact has a huge influence on our every day lives, just as religion should. but this is debatable right?

I try to follow politics because our future depends on society staying in tune with who our leaders are and what they are doing.

I think I know what you meant here, but just in case? I think it can also be read and understood as society staying in tuned with our leaders, meaning we need to adjust to them... If this is what was meant, I disagree.... They need to be staying in tune with us, the people. I think the problem in our society is that we have these ideologists in Washington, trying to convince us to be more like them, and I do agree the media is their voice. Both right and left thinking media. It just depends on which ideas you believe in more, the debate is wether we are a great country... and that we should continue to follow the constitution... and the path that our founding fathers set us on. Or do we follow the progressive movement towards a different outlook?

The debate does get foggy because the truth can be bent and placed in a fog. The problem is that most citizens... of any country, do not bother to try and see through the fog, they don't wish to question those who feed them their Kool-aid. When we learn to play the devils advocate and look at disproving all debate, is when we can really see through the fog and hear the truth, either you find it to be wrong, or it proves itself to be right, but just going along, is being sheep... and being led to slaughter.

And sheep don't realize they are being led... they just think they are in the right line, because everyone else is there. It's like tail gating on the freeway, the other three lanes are wide open, but some know how to only follow.
 CordlessTaco
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:42:16 PM
I started getting interested in politics when I was a Freshman in high school. It started locally when I became friends with someone who was running for mayor. I volunteered and helped him win. I saw the corruption and dirty tricks at a local level. Later in High school I volunteered a bit for Ross Perot, although I don't really like him anymore. To me it has nothing to do with showing off your political knowledge. I believe in live and let live, but I can't live if I'm being taxed to death or freedoms are being taken away. That's why it's important to keep up with current events at least to some extent.
 raraavis41
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:51:11 PM
I believe it is a basic part of human nature to want others to have similar beliefs as ourselves. This is accomplished in both religion and politics, both of which can profoundly affect the way you live. Because of the politics of the founding fathers, residents of the United States have freedom of or from religion… there can not be any state mandated religion imposed on us. I think that is a good example of how important participation in politics can be. Policy is always evolving and it is up to us to help shape the arguments that we will have to live by. That is why it is important to be involved in politics, to keep some sort of balance between the extremists that are attempting to destroy the system.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2010 9:16:38 PM

Because of the politics of the founding fathers, residents of the United States have freedom of or from religion… there can not be any state mandated religion imposed on us.

rara... I totally agree, especially (of or from) ... but think it is even a bit more than that. The Founders not only created a way to keep our freedoms of religion... to be able to have choice, but also our freedom of state, from tyranny. There were checks and balances also created so the government would not gain power over the people. But government has evolved, the bigger it gets, the more power it gains, and the smaller our voice becomes.

Politics and Religion are connected more than what we think or would like to believe. A spiritual person who believes in God and His plan (this can be most religions and beliefs) know that there is an evil force on the earth, that tempts mankind to do evil and fights against God's plan. There are those who don't believe in any type of creator, but also know there is right and wrong. As a Christian, I believe that Satan constantly works on us, that we are tested in our daily lives. But not only in ways that are normally spoken by religious people, but our morals and values are tempted and tested every day, and in politics, I believe because of it's control over the masses, just like religion, that there is a strong hold within it, by those who want to deceive us. The evolution of our society, which changes and challenges even our moral fiber is something we must keep an eye on. We must challenge and question those in power, to force them to unmask themselves, so that we can see clearly their intentions. Religious leaders and Politicians alike. Even our teachers who teach the next generation, because this evolution will change and ultimately slip away each generation at a time... they call this progression. There is nothing wrong with progress, but we should not progress our morals and values away, and we surely... should not progress our freedoms away.

Why is it that our government has gotten less and less transparent? Why do they feel the need to force things on us? We are a free people, we should not lose our freedoms. God's plan was for us (mankind) to have free will, Satan does not want us to have this freedom, he wishes to control this. When our government starts acting more and more like satan... should we not question it? When religion also wishes to control us, and not give us our freedom of choice, calling us heretics if we wish to debate, to find the truth, is this not also the acts of Satan? Our founders, founded this country with freedom, free speech, debate, the rights only that were already given to us by God, Free will. That was taken away by both Church and State in Europe, from where we fled.

It's like Global Warming... The fact that the debate is over is the red herring. There are still too many questions, CO2 following warming? The science being corrupted, the idea of it's political motives. All in the name of saving the planet. The debate is never over, once one side says it is, deceit has leaked in. There is, always has been and always will be, Climate Change!!!! Nothing we can do about that, but it is always good to do things better and cleaner and protect the planet, but not because of deception that hurts the economy. Just my two cents worth. ok... maybe a nickel!
 raraavis41
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 12:15:59 AM

But government has evolved, the bigger it gets, the more power it gains, and the smaller our voice becomes.

Perhaps the problem is not the government getting bigger, but rather our population growth that requires ever bigger government to prevent us from wallowing in our own waste (waste being a metaphor for all the unpleasant complications of high density populations such as crime, pollution, inadvertant destruction of the land). Sure it would be nice if everyone was a responsible intelligent human being that was aware of all the effects of his actions, but that is a pipe dream. The higher the population density, the more rules we will need to keep from unknowingly stepping on the rights of others. Yes, government wishes to control us because we have history to show that we are overindulgent with our own desires when it comes to responsibilities to our neighbors.

Our government is trying to keep a balance between the freedoms everyone cherishes and the responsibilities most people shun. One such responsibility that I see is commonly lacking is that of putting aside personal biases and looking at information with a critical eye. I agree with you that the average global temperature can have many possible reasons for rising or dropping, but it is hard to ignore that CO2 (a gas proven to have a greenhouse effect) concentrations have almost doubled since the start of the industrial age and are heading upward at a logrithmic(!!!!) rate. I don't know of anyone arguing over those basic statistics. Is it responsible to ignore that?

That is why everyone should be involved in government... it helps educate people who prefer to keep their head in the sand (or some other dark place).
 Gogetter1956
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 6:48:17 AM
I believe the reason people get so emotionally involved in politics is because our emotions are wrapped around our beliefs. That's why feelings are so fickle and should not always be trusted. We're not always right :-D
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 7:03:59 AM
To want to look at global warming from the political viewpoint I think misses the actual understanding of climate change. Politics only gets in the way of the truth, by discarding debate. One could say that green house gases have significantly grown since the start of the industrial age. And if ones political motive was to prove in some way that man made CO2 has caused great harm, to move forward an agenda, this is where one would focus, and keep the focus off the debate, ignoring the fact that CO2 follows warming, not the other way around. Also ignoring many other times in the history of this planet that we have had as great if not even greater warming periods. We have had many great cooling periods, Ice ages as well. I have even seen where they have studied the effects of the Himalayans, acid rain, followed by CO2 effects, that caused a large ice age, one that nearly covered all of North America and could be the cause of the great lakes.

The fact is the moons orbit gets father away every day, several inches a year I believe, this gravitational pull effects us, our tides and wobble to name a few. The planets wobble has a huge effect on climate change. Our crust, the different plates are constantly moving, America is inching northwest around 2-4 inches each year I believe? Hawaii is also heading towards Alaska. This is why we have a lot of activity especially on the ring of fire. Yellowstone could be a major eruption some day, hopefully not anytime soon.

The suns flares and spots have an effect on us, and they too go through cycles, based on many things, including the location of other planets in the solar system, which have also gotten warmer. We are moving into this conjunction with our solar system and our galaxy that could cause many effects on our earth. Ancient people have written about something that may have happened before, and predicted it to happen again? who knows? But this planet is a lot older than the inhabitants on it, and we people still don't have a complete grasp on anything, and it has only been hundreds (not thousands) of years that we have been able to understand some things. Science has increased just in the last few hundred years to actually keep any accurate record of what is going on. We see things happening on the polar caps, because we have satellite, the ice cores tell us a lot, but not everything.

To say that we see a significant change unlike none the earth has ever seen before is funny, the effects of global warming actually may keep us from falling into a deep freeze. The scientists are much smarter than me, but if they are letting politics control the debate for financial reward, smart or not, they still could be wrong.

The truth is, globally, their hoax (?) won't hurt the planet, and it makes them rich, and pushes the agenda of the politicians. So it isn't like if they are misguiding us, that it will hurt the planet, NO, just pushing an agenda, that will hurt our economy, and keep people from having a better way of life. We will sit on our hands, watch others drill, while we don't allow ourselves to, until 20-30 years have been wasted and when we realize, we see we have fallen way behind, because we bought into the hoax.

Again, nothing wrong with developing alternatives, with keeping the planet clean and doing what we can, but we have extremed ourselves out of drilling here, which can be done safe and clean... no, instead we force ourselves to have it shipped, which is not as safe or clean. And kills our economy and security.

Religion should keep their nose out of science... we saw what happened back causing the dark ages... But politics has no place in science either.

And this thing about population, the government doesn't have to grow like it has been for a growing population. When a city gets larger, sure you may need more police, fire dept, council members... But it is the free market, small business that should be the main growth. The over growing of our government is one of not believing in the citizens and feeling they need to take control and get rid of the free market. Sure there has been some bad apples in big business, but there has been more bad apples in government, it is their regulations, and corrupt (My take on it anyway) business practices. The left wants to say the right has corporations in their pockets, this isn't true at all, it's about 50/50, but 90% of the unions support and protect the left. I don't blame the corporations or unions, I don't blame special interests or lobbyists, it's the politicians who get bought and don't stand up to them and say no. It isn't alcohol that makes you drunk, it's the act of drinking it.

The shady back room deals in Washington may be legal and part of the way they do things... But this doesn't change the fact that it's shady... and the people don't like it. Just because they can get away with it, doesn't mean they should be doing it.

Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the Progressives of the Democratic party are determined to cram a bill through in the name of healthcare reform... It doesn't matter if it is good or not, it doesn't even matter if they like... they just want to, to say they did... so they will continue at any cost to do it. And through committee and other bad practices in Washington, they will go against the people even more, and get universal singles payer and what ever else they want. They won't even look at Tort reform or crossing state lines to make it more competitive, because that hurts their interest, they don't really care about us... And they will continue to say the right is a party of NO so they can keep using their smoke and mirror pony act.

Just go back and watch what has really been said in this debate, not the spin by the media, but the words out of the mouths of the those who are lying about what their message is.

The debate has gotten to be that the progressives believe they own the American debate, and that they have this feeling of believing they are the only ones that matter. The president isn't only the president of the progressives, he is the president of the United States, and should act like it.

When a wolf wears sheep clothing, he gets all the wolves mad at him because he appears weak, but he also gets the sheep mad at him, because they can see his teeth, and know he is a deceiver.

Don't get mad at Beck and others who show you under the sheep skin, that's like shooting the messenger... stand up and have an open mind, and look to learn the truth, don't shy away from debate... grasp it.

Don't believe everything everyone says, but if they open a door, walk in and take a look.

I have a hard time swallowing anything on MSNBC, but I still watch to see a different perspective. It's fun watching them trying to eat their own.... but seriously, it's been a long time, but I have seen several shows now of Ed, Chris, and Rachel, letting those on the left that doesn't fall in line with the progressives have it. Keith?... well... He only has one thing on his mind... Fox News. They are the choice for politics.....
 fzrhusker
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/26/2010 5:13:12 PM
Just remember that scientist survive on grants and to get next years grant they must show progress of their theory.(global warming)

A for MSNBC and their hosts I wouldn't watch then even if they were conservative just because of their antics, they always act like a kid telling on their brother or sister oooh mom look what Billy did. Very adolescent. Olberman sucks as a sports caster and his ramblings are barely coherent, I will use big words to show those dumb rednecks how stupid they are.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 8:59:58 PM

Just remember that scientist survive on grants and to get next years grant they must show progress of their theory.(global warming)

This is true, but I think it even goes deeper than that.... Climate Change, Global warming... shouldn't even be a discussion in politics. I was reading a site on California, and clicked on a global warming selection, very interesting, It explains this exactly how I feel about this debate, It should be looked at scientifically, not throw the eyes of politicians or religious fanatics. They say in this one part exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post above.

http://www.friesian.com/crichton.htm

I'll put this here... but there are some interesting charts and links, and much, much more to read on this... Some may have come across this before, I just found it, actually, going to return to finish reading it after this post. What I have read so far has been very interesting, even discussing those effects from space.

And to stay on topic, my point is about the politics, and being open minded, not getting caught up in the big sales pitch without asking questions. If you are concerned about global warming, I challenge you to go to the link and read this. I'm not saying to agree with everything, just read opposing views, that's all. The debate is far from over. And the politicians like Al Gore have high jacked the debate long enough.

Editorial Note, 2009:

It now may have become reasonable to consider the proprosition that the theory of anthropogenic global warming is not longer a scientific theory. That is because, for a theory to be part of science, it must be possible for it to be falsified by observational evidence. It now looks like the theory of anthropogenic global warming, for its adherents, cannot be falsified.

It is not just that falsifying evidence is dismissed or explained away, something that often happens with scientific theories; but when any scientists produce or cite such evidence, they are smeared with personal attacks and attempts are made to discredit their bona fides as scientists and damage their professional standing. When I noted to a correspondent that Albert Einstein was never personally attacked or his seriousness questioned just because of his skepticism over the peculiarities of quantum mechanics, the response was of the form "this is different." How is it different? Well, the theory of anthropogenic global warming has become a political ideology, a quasi-religious crusade, where heresy cannot be tolerated and skeptics or "deniers" are bundled into the same category as neo-Nazi Holocaust deniers. This in itself serves to discredit the rhetoric and the case, if not the science, of the global warming alarmists.

If that were not enough, now we have "Climategate." E-mail correspondence from the Climate Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia was recently leaked or hacked. The spectacle revealed in this material was not the practice of science, but the practice of politics. To any disinterested oberver, it is an ugly business, with implications of destroyed data, stonewalling on Freedom of Information Act disclosures, and attempts to suppress the publication of research and/or to discredit skeptical scientists. We already knew they were acting this way, but now we get it in their own words.

Published in 2009, but before the Climategate disclosures, is a fine brief book by Ralph B. Alexander, Global Warming False Alarm, the Bad Science Behind the United Nations' Assertion that Man-Made CO2 Causes Global Warming [Canterbury Publishing]. With a Ph.D. in physics, Alexander maintains a sharp focus on the scientific issues. The political issues are noted but not explored to any extent, while the science discussions stick to the essentials, without mind-numbing and irrelevant elaboration. He is concerned, however, about the integrity of science; and the alarmists come in for extended criticism for their practices that diverge from the proper and even the honest. It is a timely and satisfying treatment.

Here I found a lot on California, (including politicians of California) I didn't know before.... this is the site that had the link to the global warming debate.

http://www.friesian.com/ross/calif.htm#peaks
 realsexyrealsmart
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 11:18:43 PM
For me, an interest in politics was just the natural result of caring about how people treat each other in this world. I see so many things I would like to see changed. When I think I might be able to make some good changes happen, I want to do what I can.

Politics as a topic of conversation between friends can be interesting, but you are right to point out that a lot of pointless bickering can be the end result. If approached in a friendly and reasonable way, political discussions can be kind of fun. It's good to keep your mind sharp and active, and politics is usually a really challenging topic to contemplate. Some people really like a good debate; some people don't.

In other words, sometimes you feel like a nut--sometimes you don't!
 GolfCoast
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/27/2010 3:24:57 AM
The nexus of politics, or interest by politicians, and climate change/global warming nad science is as natural as sunrise.

Politicians flourish on fear, creating fears that cause us to seek help from larger forces. The climate change hoax is one of many in my life time that included 1. the coming ice age, heterosexual AIDS, the Corvair, saturated fats, the need for 50,000 advanced degreed people in computer science to manage the new required networks or the internet would never grow, etc.

Scientists as previously mentioned live on grants needing large problems to justifytheir continued usefulness. I call this "the next big thing syndrome". Scientists and Democrats (with any brain function at all) embrace anything that seems to be the new economic driver being generally distrustful of freedom and knowing they have little to offer a capitalist society or frankly anything in a sane world), in previous generations incl. military-industrial projects (look at any Democrat congressional district for the placement of such (e.g., NASA a gift from LBJ), interstate highways, all forms of transformational ideas in education (all failures creating nothing but useless Americans who sit in airports explaining America's sins to America hating teat-sucking Euro trash), the environmental scares, autism, etc, etc.

Ultimately these "next big things" result in "friction" on the exconomy that destroys real jobs, creates more of what you were going to cure (the war on poverty spent $13trillion to end poverty and we have more than when we intiated this while expending our capital and leaving us broke for generations and unable to compete on the world stage or deliver the things you paid so dearly for social security and medicare).
 ActiveExplorer
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 11:09:12 AM

how you have come to get involved or at least concerned with Politics

First I came to have an income that put me in the 39% federal income tax bracket and 11% California, so which party was in power and how fiscally conservative they were could make a huge difference in my life, in my ability to raise and educate my children, and in my ability to retire.

I also noticed that the federal budget defecit and national trade defecit affects the value of U.S. dollars in global terms.

Then there's global warming... which will get far more costly the longer we ignore it.

Unfortunately it has become very difficult to determine which party is more wasteful and damaging to our jobs, incomes, taxes, the value of our currency, and the ability of the planet to sustain life.

Choices now tend to be trying to determine the lesser of two evils.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:11:10 AM
GolfCoast wrote:Politicians flourish on fear, creating fears that cause us to seek help from larger forces.

And some like the man in the White House knew how to run for President and use the hype and promises to get votes, but he never has known how to actually be President and thus a CEO, and run the business.

~Beth~
 skoochie
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:31:46 AM
Hmmm? There's only been one president who has had Presidential experience when he took office.

I laughed when Republicans scoffed at Obama's experience running a country. As if Mc Cain had any experience either. Guess who has the experience now?

I find it refreshing we have a leader who speaks of a withdrawal time for getting out of a war. Bush never won a war. Even if he doesn't make his deadline, at least he isn't determined to keep our military in a fight against an ideology. We will never stop terrorism because it is a tactic rather than a winnable war.
 realsexyrealsmart
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 8:15:25 AM
I agree, Skoochie.

As for running the government, I don't want it run like a business. Business (big ones, at least) tend to treat their customers with contempt and will give as little service as possible while charging as much as they possibly can.
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:06:00 PM

I find it refreshing we have a leader who speaks of a withdrawal time for getting out of a war.

I don't know? Seems like to me you do a job until it's done. Games have time limits, and when the time runs out, than you have a winner. Giving war an end time, only tells your enemy how long they have to hold out, til they win, knowing their enemy isn't there for the long hall tell they win, but only for a certain amount of time.

I'm sure the Bush administration and the generals had an idea of how long they would stay, determined by the success of what was going on, but knew it was a failure to announce their game plan to their enemy.

You see it in games all the time... milking the clock to hold out to the end. Thats part of the strategy of sports, but making that a strategy of war, announcing to your enemy you are only going to play nine innings or 4 quarters is asinine.

What it is, is playing politics with the lives of our military, and the lives of those innocent citizens of the countries caught up in it.

and skooch... man you love drinking that Obama juice. He hasn't said anything different than when he first came on the political play ground.. and he keeps smooth talking while his actions keep doing things that are anything but smooth.

Our politics are so split in this country that a state of the union turns into throwing red meat to your party. My God, how much applause can a lame speech get? He bashes the right, than tries to explain how we should come together. If you really want to work with everyone, you don't act so partisan yourself. He basically was telling the left to cram stuff through, and pleaded with the right to let them. If you are a progressive, you want this stuff crammed through, it is programs you believe in, conservatives don't like the programs, why would they vote yes on bad things, even the left have a hard time convincing them selves to go so far. This is not a country of Progressives, sure there are progressives here, just like there are liberals, moderates, conservatives and independents that fall within that middle somewhere. But the progressives are even farther left than liberals, who are farther left than some dems, and even farther left than moderate Dem. The conservative are way over here, and yes there are even a lot of moderate conservatives. But the middle of this country is right leaning, not sitting somewhere in the left side of politics. When Obama goes toward the middle, it's the middle of the Dems, still far from the center of America, but this is better for America, Him wanting to get closer to that middle than just forcing that extreme left progressive program on everyone.

Independents voted for him for many reasons, the change thing they believed was a change in Washington, He ran on a less corrupt government and transparency, they did not think the change was what we are getting, a progressive program shoved down our throats. His State of the Union speech was just more bull cr@p of lies and untruths, telling how great he wants to change things and all the other stuff he ran on during the election. But people know Obama now, unlike before he was elected where people gave him a chance. And it isn't that he isn't fixing things fast enough, it isn't that people are not patient enough, they see what he is doing, worse cr@p in Washington than before he came on the stage. His speech now is that in 2010 he will focus on the economy and jobs, when he ran he said in 09 the focus is on the economy and jobs. People are mad because he only says one thing and does another, instead of worrying about unemployment through 09, he scared us into stimulus spending, to grow the government, and push big programs like health care and other things with disregard to people losing jobs.

The writing is on the wall, they have no excuses, they think they are doing what the American people want, that they don't even hide their plan, The only things the stimulus was spent on was to people who gave to Obama getting elected, and to things that are government type jobs. He even says that kids that get a higher education will get double the help financially if they are gearing themselves towards a career in the government, sure he didn't say that in those words, but this is what that meant.

I suggest you look into that window making company he mentioned in his speech that created jobs. If he was talking about "Serious Materials" If I'm not mistaken, they received a contract with the Gov to make the best energy efficient windows to make all American homes more energy efficient. And one of the CEO's or president is married to the gal that runs that energy program for the White House. Now, I'm only talking about another way that the stimulus money is going to someone who is part of the Obama family. The sad thing is that even though the Gov's endorsement helps this company by saying they are the best, it is making it unfair to other window companies who may even be better and cheaper. By the way, the companies windows are expensive, but hey... they're family.

Check out this list of contributors

This table lists the top donors to this candidate in the 2008 election cycle. The organizations themselves did not donate , rather the money came from the organization's PAC, its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

Because of contribution limits, organizations that bundle together many individual contributions are often among the top donors to presidential candidates. These contributions can come from the organization's members or employees (and their families). The organization may support one candidate, or hedge its bets by supporting multiple candidates. Groups with national networks of donors - like EMILY's List and Club for Growth - make for particularly big bundlers.

Obama

University of California $1,591,395
Goldman Sachs $994,795
Harvard University $854,747
Microsoft Corp $833,617
Google Inc $803,436
Citigroup Inc $701,290
JPMorgan Chase & Co $695,132
Time Warner $590,084
Sidley Austin LLP $588,598
Stanford University $586,557
National Amusements Inc $551,683
UBS AG $543,219
Wilmerhale Llp $542,618
Skadden, Arps et al $530,839
IBM Corp $528,822
Columbia University $528,302
Morgan Stanley $514,881
General Electric $499,130
US Government $494,820
Latham & Watkins $493,835

McCain

Merrill Lynch $373,595
Citigroup Inc $322,051
Morgan Stanley $273,452
Goldman Sachs $230,095
JPMorgan Chase & Co $228,107
US Government $208,379
AT&T Inc $201,438
Wachovia Corp $195,063
UBS AG $192,493
Credit Suisse Group $183,353
PricewaterhouseCoopers $167,900
US Army $167,820
Bank of America $166,026
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher $159,596
Blank Rome LLP $154,226
Greenberg Traurig LLP $146,437
US Dept of Defense $144,105
FedEx Corp $131,974
Bear Stearns $117,498
Lehman Brothers $114,357

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contrib.php?id=N00009638&cycle2=2008&goButt2.x=11&goButt2.y=7&goButt2=Submit

You can see, contributions to McCain are even less at the top, than Obama's at the bottom of his list.

All I'm saying is that the fact that the left wants to wrap the banks around the rights neck is not true, they only want to make the argument that the right are the fat cats and the left are fighting for us.... Learn the truth, just don't agree with a mans words, especially when he himself disproves them by his actions.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/1/2010 8:09:57 AM
Looks like the tea party is going global, the whole world is fed up.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100027366/british-tea-party-movement-to-launch-on-saturday/
Show ALL Forums  > California  > What has gotten you concerned with Politics?