Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > no sugar no grain pasta      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 atticus06
Msg: 1
no sugar no grain pastaPage 1 of 1    
anybody have info on a no sugar no grain pasta? a friend is trying a diet and isnt allowed sugar or grain but she refuses to not eat pasta.. im not endorsing just trying to help with recipies for her.
atticus
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 2
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/29/2010 5:11:28 PM
Yam noodles.
I haven't found them in the store yet but they're out there.

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2006/03/shirataki-noodles-low-carb-blessing-or.html

Shirataki noodles are made from konjac flour, a water-soluble dietary fiber from the yam-like konjac plant grown in China and Japan. The dietary fiber in the konjac plant is called glucomannan which is sold in health food stores for weight loss. How about that?! Additionally, these noodles contain calcium and rank low on the glycemic index. Plus, because they are sugar-free, they are perfect for people with diabetes. Excellent!

WesternWildRose
Msg: 3
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/29/2010 5:49:53 PM
Try Quinoa as an alternative type pasta product.

it can pass for a really delicious small pasta.

Quinoa (pronounced /ˈkwi-noa/ or /kwɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish quinua, from Quechua kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a grass. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach and tumbleweeds.

you could check out some Gluten-Free pasta at the health food store.

I am also on a no sugar, no grains diet...but I guess you are looking for a pasta with no sugar????
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/29/2010 6:42:39 PM
Pasta, no sugar, no grain???

Oooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. LOL Sorry, sounds a bit far fetched, but I actually do have some alternatives, though if a person says they refuse to submit to a diet they choose to go on, I am not sure anything is going to satisfy this person. All carbs turn to sugar. To what extent is she disallowed sugar?

The Yam Noodles that Hawaiian suggests is a great source. Possibly the reason you haven't found them is because you are looking in the wrong place. They have actually been in the stores for a couple of years and I thought the store in my little town didn't have them because I have looked and looked, never finding anything. Then one day when not looking there they were, in a place I would have NEVER looked. They had been there all along, I just never saw them. The package does not say Yam Noodle except in tiny print, which I just happened to see, so if not for the accident, I could still be looking.

I know all stores are different, but these are a fresh noodle product and do not keep long. In our store they are in a cool section with organic lettuces, mushrooms, fresh organic Asian rice noodles, tempeh, and tofu.

I would guess that Rose may be recommending quinoa as a pasta alternative because she is thinking of it as a coucous substitute, because cousous is actually a pasta. Though, I have never heard of a phonetic pronunciation like the one she found. I only know it being pronounced [keen-wa]. It would not surprise me that there were several pronunciations.

Her other alternatives could be Spaghetti Squash. Cut in half, roast until soft, then scoop out the spaghetti-like strands and use like pasta.

I would immediately have said rice noodles, which are my favorite, but rice is a grain. If she in fact can have rice, you know it comes in sheets like a tortilla too, so that would be perfect, if she can have it.

As well, there is one I developed when on Atkins. Which is totally protein, except for trace which is impossible to get away from. Now this takes just a little work because I haven't made this in 5 years, but I did make it work beautifully and it would be the closest thing to real pasta because it is very bread-like. Measures are not necessary. I will give you the smallest amount and she can increase it from there once she tries it and likes it.

You need...
~1 egg
~2 oz. room temp cream cheese - Get Philly - I swear there is a massive difference
~2 - 3 tbls flax seed flour (better to get whole seeds and grind yourself as this loses nutritional value very quickly and both seeds and flour need to be refrigerated)
or *any nut flour* including coconut (just grind any raw nut to a flour, even if it is slightly mealy, that is fine)
Mix these well. Can add any spice or herb for the desired flavor or leave plain.

Now, she can put this in a ramekin and miocrowave until puffy, and starting to pull away from the ramekin, anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes depending on microwave. This makes a bun, or English muffin type roll. I did 2 of these each morning for a breakfast type sandwich with cheese and bacon or ham.

For pasta, she needs to make this thin with the addition of water or milk if she can have it. Thin like eggnog in a carton, not like milk.
Spread this thinly on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for a few minutes until it is dry enough to handle, but still soft like a crepe. Cut this into strips a thin as you want it, or any other shape. Cover in desired sauce and there you have it. They seem to work a little better if once cut into thin long strips they are cooked just a minute more, but not crisp. You have to play with it to get it right for what you want.

I also had some luck putting this into a warm, not hot, skillet with just a little coating of melted butter and spreading very thin and making like a crepe.

With the use of different nuts and seeds this can be very nicely varied for flavor and texture. As well with any flavoring, herb or spice...it is a dream world of variation. These can also be made with only the egg and cream cheese, which often I preferred.

I even played with whipping the egg whites to soft peaks and adding back in the beaten yolks to get thicker cubes of pasta like a light gnocchi and it worked well. And a great Hamburger type bun. You would be surprised what you can do with eggs and cream cheese. I also played with using all of the Italian herb essential oils to flavor, because I wasn't getting as deep a flavor as I wanted for some things and that worked well too, because you get deep flavor with only a drop or two in one serving. I managed a great pizza crust this way.

The fun thing for me was seeing if I could create this stuff, because pasta and pizza crust are just something I do not even care if i have. I also managed making wraps and wasa, but those did not involve eggs or cream cheese, just flax or nut flour, herbs, spices, salt, and water. One of the best wasa I ever made involved a lot of caraway, garlic and tons of black pepper.

Good Luck to her, and if this works for her, I can tell you a few cake recipes that are totally protein and even better than wheat flour cakes.

SS
 atticus06
Msg: 5
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/29/2010 7:01:28 PM
thanks guys will pass on all info.
atticus
 brandished
Msg: 6
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/29/2010 7:13:20 PM
Here's a great cookbook she may find helpful.

"Living Cuisine" by Renee Loux Underkoffler It is a cookbook on the art and spirit of raw foods.

Thanks for helping a friend Atticus!!
 stonemesa
Msg: 7
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/30/2010 4:15:15 AM
spaghetti squash is in almost every produce section.
 lindarellah
Msg: 8
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/30/2010 8:30:11 AM
Earlier this month Chef Rocco DiSpirito shared this on the Rachael Ray show.

" Shirataki Noodles (Available at MiracleNoodle.com)
If you're trying to cut out carbs by giving up great-tasting noodle dishes, Rocco has the food for you. "These are noodles that have no carbs and no calories!" Rocco declares about Shirataki noodles. "When they come out of bag, you just have to rinse off the water they come in and just throw them into a big pot of hot broth with whatever garnishes you want. They don't need to cook, they're already cooked, and they never overcook!"

Belle Requin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:27:49 AM
you can use peelers to try and make noodles out of things like zucchini, but I find zucchini disgusting.

I think next payday I'm going to be trying the cream cheese/egg/nut meal noodles, and I've been trying to focus on low grains (still thickening soup w brown rice flour...)
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/30/2010 4:33:54 PM
Hey Captain Girly,

I am not sure which kinds of soup you are trying to thicken, so my comment may not be relevant. However, I have always been sort of an anti thickening agent person, when it is possible. Soupls are a dream for never needing a thickening agent, because i just use less liquid and more, some or all of the veggies to thicken by grinding them up after soft cooking them.

Potatoes....too easy
Parsnips, carrots...great!
Spinach...works beautifully
Squash...made for it
Nuts cooked with the soup or in separate water until soft, then ground are an excellent thickener
Eggs tempered with some hot broth, then added into the whole pot works great
If you want a chunky soup and a thick bas cook the thickening veggie separately
Split Peas and red or yellow lentils make a great thickener. They cook to a thick porrige/cream easily if you aren't careful.

So many good ways to thicken soups and sauces without a grain

SS
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 11
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/31/2010 1:30:33 AM
you can use peelers to try and make noodles out of things like zucchini

or daikon (turnip).

raxarsr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/31/2010 2:26:00 AM
as someone else said....tell her to get spagetti squash....all by itself...it just kinda tastes like spagetti.......but add sauce and mushrooms?..........[and espically sweet italian sasauge......you cant tell it from real spagetti...............

not......if they can only grow a maccoroni squash.............
 Belle Requin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:36:54 AM
SS I make cream of tomato and cream of broccoli/kale/celery soup when I need to thicken. I rounded tbsp of flour for 8-10 cups of soup. Can't have all the starchy veggies, find peas disgusting, can't eat lentils- oodles of restrictions. I don't thicken my chicken soup.
 arwen52
Msg: 14
view profile
History
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 1/31/2010 8:44:40 AM
Asian bean thread, also known as cellophane noodles, are made from mung beans.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 15
no sugar no grain pasta
Posted: 2/1/2010 3:28:53 AM
1. She can substitute spaghetti squash for the pasta..

2. Or Tofu Shirataki is a great pasta alternative made from blending the root of the Konnyaku - a member of the yam family and tofu.

thecatsmeoww
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > no sugar no grain pasta