Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > God & thinking you're important to him.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 driven2think
Msg: 1
view profile
History
God & thinking you're important to him.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am truly & spectacularly astounded by the arrogance of human beings when they like to imagine that they are so special & so valuable that an omnipotent, omniscient, and infallible God spends 24/7/365days per year fretting over what you think of him and imagining that such a being could be offended or hurt by what YOU think of him! Or to imagine that you're actually interesting enough to command the attenti0n of such a being. Does anyone else think along these lines?

God created earth for man?? It's 70% covered in water which means we can't live on it and there are huge swaths of it that are effectively uninhabitable yet this is the best living space a perfect God could design for the apple of his eye, humanity? Sure, you could say that we need the water to survive yada yada but God is omnipotent & infallible so he could have made earth flourish without needing the water on the surface, if at all. You can't give any excuses to God because he's not supposed to make any errors the pious tell us.

Why, if the Earth was created for us, would God created a Universe that is much more than 15-billion light years in size? Alpha Centauri is only 4 light years away. The space shuttle travels at between 18,000 - 20,000 mph. It would take 150,000 years on the space shuttle to get to Alpha Centauri. Yet it's all designed for us???

I really don't think such a being would give a hoot about humans. It's like you or I caring about 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 you get the picture, quadrillionth of a microscopic speck of dust times infinity in the darkest coldest corner of your basement floor.

I really don't think human beings are that special. I think the distinction is that human beings have a desire/need to be thought of as that special. It's a kocktail of arrogance & neediness all mixed together in a drink called religious dogma. I'm not that impressed with humanity so I don't see how a perfect God could be.

What do you think?
 JustDukky
Msg: 2
view profile
History
God & thinking you're important to him.
Posted: 2/2/2010 9:55:08 AM

What do you think?

I think everybody wants their Daddy to like them & think they're special & it kinda hurts kids to think that maybe Daddy doesn't care two hoots in hell about them, so they refuse to even dare to think that. That's what I think.

When the hell are we gonna grow up, realize "Daddy" doesn't give a sh¡t about us and start caring about each other instead of what "Daddy thinks?
 driven2think
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 9:58:06 AM
I just think it's so astoundingly arrogant of humanity, though, to think they are actually special enough to warrant the attention of a perfect infallible & omnipotent God. Humans really scare me.
 JustDukky
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 10:50:33 AM
it's so astoundingly arrogant of humanity

It is. It's also astoundingly stupid to assume there is such a God, but whattya gonna do?
I guess that makes for a new definition of humanity, stupid and arrogant. Maybe everybody's right and we are a lost cause?
There are (strangely enough) a few good people, but they seem to be dwarfed in number by the arrogant stupidity of the vast majority. Many of the posters here have almost convinced me that we really are a lost cause and that the world will be much better off with us gone. Oh well...It looks like we may soon get our wish.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/2/2010 10:59:37 AM
Would you really expect something that was designed by an all-powerful being to really make sense to you and be palatable to your weak little mind?

You can't apply logic to something that is inherently illogical.
 nexthyme
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 11:46:25 AM
It gives a person pause as to why people humans need to feel special... I have to wonder myself why of all creatures we really don't fit here...

Most animals I know don't give two rats ass what the other look like, or do they???

Dogs define shape and see shapes, object et al, but I have noticed they can't differ from one color to another...

I was just listening to the history channel, and these specially train theologiens say that "God does not want us to lie", another specially trained guy says isn't it interesting why GOD doesn't want a picture, statue, et al of HIM, however God is a jealous God and gets pissed if people worships "false idols.."

LOL, wonder what this God would think of people today, and their worship of demi Gods... Michael Jackson is one of them.... I heard another show stating he was an angel on earth... Really, and angel with a taste for little boys, drinking Jesus juice...

Meh I don't know, I still am on the side we were dumped on this place, because our "god" or rather beings from other planets phucked up their own planet, and managed to get here, and survived... that is my take... Makes me and others a hell of a lot less special aye?
 driven2think
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 3:13:30 PM
coveredinpaint said:

Would you really expect something that was designed by an all-powerful being to really make sense to you and be palatable to your weak little mind?

Yes, I would expect it to make sense because the sky friend that so many believe in, made us, as the story goes.....inquisitive & knowledge seeking. If he created all this "for us" then yes, we should be allowed to understand it.

It's remarkable how "weak little minded" christians think they know virtually everything about God & aren't shy about telling us all how we should live. The bible is purported by the pious to be the product of God yet "weak little minded" christians think they know everything about it.
 driven2think
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 3:22:05 PM
JustDukky said:

the world will be much better off with us gone.

I do think the world would be better off with humanity gone. I don't even think that can seriously be debated. We are easily the biggest threat to this planet & the other living things we 'share' it with. Human beings, for all their arrogance, ARE stupid enough to kill themselves off.
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/2/2010 5:02:32 PM
I am currently reading 'The Bible According to Mark Twain'. One of his essays deals with the exact topic the OP posted. The book is a good read if you skip the pedantic analysis by the folks who compiled it and get straight to Twain's writing. I am a Richard Dawkin's fan but Twain's observations put Dawkins to shame. Dawkin's prose is good, but Twain's is better.
 driven2think
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:56:54 AM
Interesting! I'd like to have a look at the Twain bible.

I'm also amused when muslims in particular want the right to execute people who decide to leave the muslim faith - becauseing they are rejecting the one true god! They do this because their purported holy book says to do it! Gee, and some people don't think religion is dangerous!!!!!

I'm amused when these deluded fools want to execute someone for leaving the faith or for uttering something humans deem disrespectful about Muhammad which these fools feel is punishable by nothing less than death. Hmm, I kinda think that if a perfect, omnipotent God is offended or troubled by a puny human, I'm pretty darned sure he can take care of them himself. But of course it isn't really about Allah or Muhammad - it's about the deluded human beings & how their feelings have been offended.

I don't think a God would care one way or the other what such an insignificant being in comparison thinks about him.
 rockondon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:03:09 AM

Ah, yes, irony has reared its ugly little head once again.

I heard the same argument used against me in my church days when I had the audacity to ask questions in hopes of enhancing my belief system. Essentially, the "weak little mind" argument is telling you that if you have questions about God - then shut up, God is smart and you're stupid - any more questions?
Sadly, most of the other church goers around me took the message to heart - they shut up because they were stupid. But I realized that God wouldn't give me the gifts of curiosity and reason and condemn me for using them.

If the universe was designed by an all-powerful being then it should make MORE sense to our "weak little minds," not less. For example, if the universe was made for humans, then why would nearly all of the universe be extremely hostile to us?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 7:20:26 PM
I look at things slightly differently. I generally think one thing at a time. Some people can think 2 things at a time. Computers with 16 processors can think 16 things at the same time. So if I were to claim that G-d could only think 1000 things at the same time, then a computer with 1001 processors would be more powerful than G-d, and that would make G-d non-omnipotent. So if G-d is omnipotent, it makes sense to me that G-d can think of an infinitely infinite number of things at the same time, which means that G-d can think of ALL things at the same time.

Now, if I think that G-d would think about me but not a dolphin, then surely I would be arrogant. But surely then a dolphin must think to himself/herself, that if G-d would think about the dolphin but not me, then it would be arrogant. So surely G-d would think about BOTH of us at the same time, and as we've said, G-d would surely be able to do that easily.

But the same logic works for everything. So surely G-d would think about EVERYTHING at the same time, and as we've said, G-d would surely be able to do that.

So my view is that G-d thinks about EVERYTHING at the same time. G-d doesn't just think about me. But G-d does think about me, just as much as anything else, and in terms of omnipotence, surely that must be a lot.
 nexthyme
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:42:44 PM
If God is omnipotent then what is the need of angels???

Life as a human and even for animal kind have basic pecking orders, so why wouldn't it be plausable that God Farmed out to the "angels" the care of the beings?

I can think of several situation where I should have died without a doubt... I also know as a medical professional RET. there were people who should not have live through an accident, or illness, yet went on....

It is hard to believe this is a happy coincident that things worked out...

Perhaps God does have a connection to each being, especially if God is an infinite spirit, each spirit sent to exist would still long to be apart of the singular spirit again, as we are...

It doesn't make us special, just an energy craving to be back as one energy again...

Of course this requires to believe that the living of anything living has a spirit and that spirit had to some from some where...

Oddly it all goes back to complexity where it takes more information to fully understand...
 *sass*
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/3/2010 10:25:44 PM
In some belief systems, we are an indivisible part of God.. no separation..

Have you heard of scientific pantheism?
 VeganCat
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2010 7:22:09 PM
Earth is bootcamp. We contract with God to come here because we love him and wish to experience for him. Life as we know it is a serious 'game'. Earth is the toughest place to go because it is pretty much a crap shoot when you get here. So much negativity running rampant here. You make out your chart and in you come and wow, its much tougher than you thought it would be. Its all great in theory but in reality, its rough.

Then liberalist religion has to make it tougher by saying we're all going to hell if we don't do this or that. I don't believe it....not one second. We all are saved. Energy can not be destroyed and we are all electrical beings.

So yes, we are all important, each and every one of us. :)
 dunrich2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:11:11 PM

I really don't think such a being would give a hoot about humans. It's like you or I caring about 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 you get the picture, quadrillionth of a microscopic speck of dust times infinity in the darkest coldest corner of your basement floor.

I really don't think human beings are that special. I think the distinction is that human beings have a desire/need to be thought of as that special. It's a kocktail of arrogance & neediness all mixed together in a drink called religious dogma. I'm not that impressed with humanity so I don't see how a perfect God could be.

In a life that seems totally designed to teach us how replaceable / insignificant we are. I wonder the exact same thing.

The Christain and Hindu teaching that every thing we do is kept track of by God and or planned by him / fate, makes me wonder the exact same thing OP.
 Csonka
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 4:51:44 AM
The OP is rather sour, kind of surly.

Another person in a hypothetical situation, in which there is a plane and no more could just as well say that the smallness of the plane or world we live in is proof there is no god.

The sheer size of the universe, how can it come from nothing? The skies held messages for Adam. We can't see, most of the spectrum, and we don't know what was or will be.

And I agree we are all important to God. The times will come when the disconnection between Heaven and Earth will be over.
 NerdStatus
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 1:30:51 AM

infallible God spends 24/7/365days per year

If God is infallible:
* Why are there so many conflicting doctrines in the bible?
* Why did God have to hit the reset button, and flood the earth a-la Noah & The Arc?

It's like you or I caring about 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 you get the picture, quadrillionth of a microscopic speck of dust times infinity in the darkest coldest corner of your basement floor.

I don't think you have an accurate understanding of infinity if you're trying to multiply it by some quantity.

What do you think?

I don't think, I know God (capitol G = Jedea/Christian God) was made in man's image (not the other way around). This is so easily provable, it's rediculious. Can I directly observe the non-existance of God? No. But, I can look at the bible's predictions (eg: I can prey and get whatever I want sans Luke 11:9 & Matthew 7:7), and test those predictions. False predictions = false doctrine. Simple.

That said, as an Agnostic, I don't believe the existance of a higher / supernatural power is provable or unprovable at this time.
(which is not to say some religions / dogmas / superstisions can be proven = false)

The sheer size of the universe, how can it come from nothing?

The universe coming from nothing is a CHRISTIAN viewpoint. Atheists & agnostics ask YOU how YOU believe something came from nothing.

We can't see, most of the spectrum, and we don't know what was or will be.

Not true on both accounts:
1) We can absolutely measure visual spectrum. Go read about IR, UV & heat signature cameras.
2) We know a lot about what was - go read about forensic evidence, and specifically how it unlocks past events.
 Csonka
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 4:06:36 AM
nerdstatus, look at dark matter, and consider what we knew about it sixty years ago.

Christians don't believe God came from nothing, nothing, being no matter or dimensions... You think a non living entity the universe simple always was, by itself?
 dunrich2
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:51:46 PM

You think a non living entity the universe simple always was, by itself

Seems good enough for the creations of the great creator. Its all nothing, nothing, nothing, in the end.
 bbbadgirlgoodwoman
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/12/2010 11:45:59 PM
If you think you're special, you will go through life with a sense of entitlement that will make you impatient and miserable... because everyone should KNOW you're special.

No one is special. Not you, and not me.

Love... and the irony of it is that is what all of us are here for.... NEEDS relationship. Love cannot just BE. Love is kind. Love is patient. Love does not remember past wrongs. Love is enduring. Love will do anything to be your everything. God IS love. He created you to be in a relationship with him. And you ARE important to him. Not just important... but you are the apple of his eye... you are precious.... so much so, that he gave his life for you... so that you may live. If you don't understand this concept, please ask him.
 Csonka
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:42:25 AM
I agree, and we are special, but not one superior to another. Not favouritism, not for Jews, or men, or leaders, intellectuals, athletes, beauties or children...

We should see this also means we should care for animals.

And the fact Jesus would die for any one person, and did this for each and not a faceless crowd should mean the blood never ever is common and the blood or finger of God is always extremely special, as it comes upon us.
 dunrich2
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 8:04:10 AM

No one is special. Not you, and not me.

Thats my take on things.

I use to think, what did make us special was "romantic love". But life has sure shown me, that only seems to be available to very few people.

In the end, there is nothing in which we are not replaceable.
 NerdStatus
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:21:50 PM

nerdstatus, look at dark matter, and consider what we knew about it sixty years ago.

and?

Christians don't believe God came from nothing, nothing, being no matter or dimensions..

You've obviously not read Genesis. This is quite literally covered in the very first line of the Bible, Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.. Those Christians who have bothered to read the bible, do believe God created everything that exists today. If he created it - then it didn't exist at some point. If it didn't exist, then he made it exist... so it's Christianity that believes something came from nothing.

So it's quite silly when Christians ask, "The sheer size of the universe, how can it come from nothing?" and "You think a non living entity the universe simple always was, by itself?" when it's Christians that blindly accept this view point. Skeptics / scientists say, "I don't know". It's okay to not know the answer.

Also interesting to note: God made light on day one Genesis 1:3, but the sun wasn't created until day 3 (Gen 1:17-18). Oh - and plant life (which can NOT live without sunlight) was created before the sun. Doesn't take long for the bible's version of history to start falling right on it's face (chapter 1, book 1).
 truth144
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:51:24 PM
I believe that everyone is important to God.

As a believer and to think I'm not important to God, would make the crucifixion of Jesus in vain. That would make the works of Love null and void.

I think John 3:16 holds the answer to this quite well.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > God & thinking you're important to him.