Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Women touching men, does it mean they want sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 larenn002
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Women touching men, does it mean they want sex?Page 1 of 1    
Okay.... thought this was a good route as the last 2 questions I had were answered beautifully by so many gracious PoF folks. I haven't dated in too many years to count so my questions are truly from the heart.

Q: Is it true that when a woman touches a man she doesn't know or barely knows the man thinks it means she want to have sex?

I ask this because I am a toucher was was told to stop doing that cause that's the signal it gives off. I do it withuot realizing I am doing it.
 GMCAcadia
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Women touching men, does it mean they want sex?
Posted: 2/2/2010 11:20:56 PM
Depends on how she is touching him... lol

If a woman gently touches my shoulder while we talk, then no I won't be saluting the flag right away...
Now if she is caressing my inner thigh while we talk, that's moving in a different direction...

It also depends on the guy... I've heard stories of girls complaining that a guy got upset because she wanted to hold his hand while they walked because he wanted to try and get in her pants a little later, and when she refused he referred back to the holding hands thing earlier...
 rainman12
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 11:21:04 PM

I ask this because I am a toucher was was told to stop doing that cause that's the signal it gives off. I do it withuot realizing I am doing it.

Apparently it doesn't in your case. But it will get our hopes up if we're interested. If we're not that interested it doesn't matter anyway.
 I Cornelius
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 11:24:00 PM
All depends on where you touch him.

Sorry. Figured I'd be the first to say it and get it out of the way. Hopefully no one else will stoop to that level.

EDIT: Ah. Too late.

I can't speak for all dudes, as far as me though, if a woman touches me while talking I pretty much know without a shadow of a doubt that she doesn't find me physically repulsive. That's about it. Sex is a veeeery big leap from a hand on the arm or whatever. I think, generally, most men wouldn't be THAT self-indulgent enough to think a touch means boot knocking. Perhaps a hint of attraction might be perceived or imagined, but only the most egotistical would automatically leap to "she wants to do me, mannn."

I'm sure they're out there, though.
 Ahron123
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/2/2010 11:35:21 PM

Perhaps a hint of attraction might be perceived or imagined, but only the most egotistical would automatically leap to "she wants to do me, mannn."

Damnit...is that the category I'm in? lol.

I'm sure they're out there, though.

Indeed they are.

In all seriousness though, it DOES mean something. What exactly is a bit hard to tell with the information we have. But humans do interpret other humans body language extremely perceptively, even without realising it, and if someone can't keep their hands off me I'm pretty sure that is something I’m going to taking into consideration when I wonder how attracted to me she is...

Sometimes plutonic touching does happen very naturally. Sometimes touching can be a sign of ‘caring’ without being associated with sexual thoughts/feelings – but not on a first date – I mean it’s not like you’re in love already. Best advice I can give: Ask people a while after they have just met you.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 1:17:06 AM

Q: Is it true that when a woman touches a man she doesn't know or barely knows the man thinks it means she want to have sex?

Touching is a flirting technique and if done while engaged in a conversation, it makes him think you are attracted to him and open to being more intimate. Why would you touch someone you have no interest in?
 TravelingLight
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/3/2010 1:56:53 AM
No. It depends how you touch him. Where you touch him. Example: If you're having a casual conversation and give a quick pat on the forearm of a man, accompanied with laughter, because you said something funny that involves him and you don't want him to think it was mean, it would be stupid of him to think you want sex. Very, very stupid.
He may wonder if you like him, have some interest in him, but at that point you could just be a warm, sociable individual. We're not sure of anything.

If you seem to be paying him attention as if you wanted him to feel flattered, and touch him now and then, he could be justified in supposing you're interested in him (not necessarily want to have sex, just yet).

So no, they don't automatically think you want sex. Depends how you do the touching.

But be careful about being very 'touching', affectionate, warm, etc with some men, they'll think you're interested in them. Warm people can often give the impression they love you and if you're attractive to someone, they might think or hope you want them.
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:06:01 AM
context is everything. if you and i are on a first meet and you're finding reasons to touch me, then yes, i'm thinking it means you're attracted.

if you're a friend of a co-worker who's introducing you to people around the office, i'm not gonna make much of a few touches, since you're a stranger and the potential for workplace/co-worker entanglements is present.

if you find that a guy is touching you back and it doesn't feel quite welcome, then it could be he's returning what he thinks are signals of attraction.
 Write Time
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:28:44 AM
Not at all. Touching is an intimate gesture, but it shouldn't at all be confused for a plea for intimacy. Any guy who thinks so hasn't read the playbook. :)
 gardentree
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:15:05 AM
No.
1. its a more intimate guesture, but not more than that - ofc it could be interpreted as a signal that she may well do.
2.who knows if the guy is dense enough, you might actually have to grab his bits for him to get the message.
 imonaboat87
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:39:01 AM
If you're rubbing a guys butt, it means you want anal sex. Careful
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:39:33 AM
I know only how I've responded to"touchers." I've run into a number of them, male and female.
If they were that way as I was just meeting them, I found it invasive and rude. Even if I found the woman attractive, I could tell by observation that she touched everybody, so it had no meaning beyond habit. If anything, it messed up my being able to tell what she thought about me at all, because the "touching for no reason" meant that I couldn't count on ANY signals to be valid for interest. If she looked steadily into my eyes and smiled, that ALSO might mean nothing.
I have both been, and been associated with many people in sales. There, many are actually taught to reach out and touch the prospective customer at a certain time in the bartering, as a PLOY to get them to make the buy decision. Since I have always experienced early touching as a sign that I am dealing with either a manipulative person, or a presumptuous one, I don't respond to it well, unless it's clearly affectionate (such as looping her arm in mine as we walk).
But then, I'm 56 and mostly alone, so take it with the usual caveats!
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:48:27 AM

Is it true that when a woman touches a man she doesn't know or barely knows the man thinks it means she want to have sex?

There IS some truth to that. People touch each other when they're "interested" in each other. Of course, the true nature of that interest IS somewhat sexual. It's VERY important to me that there are NO misunderstandings when spending time with men. IF I'm interested, I'm VERY touchy-feeling, flirty, lots of eye contact, close physical promixity. If I'm NOT interested, NONE of that is taking place. I go out of my way to make sure I don't inadvertently touch when I'm not interested in being more intimate.

Of course, interest and WILLINGNESS to cross that line into sex are two VERY different things. Just because I send out the cues that I'm "interested" in sex with a guy doesn't mean I'm going to do it with him. I'm simply "interested" in experiencing it with him. I guess what I'm saying is to recognize the cues you're giving out, what they may be interpreted as and stay within your comfort zone. Even though, I'm very affection and touchy. I still know how to say "no". It doesn't need to be all or nothing. If you don't touch, aren't affectionate, that may be misinterpreted as no interest, therefore no 2nd date. If you're all over the guy, he may not respect you, therefore no 2nd date. Somewhere in the middle makes sense IF you are truly interested in seeing him, again.

mekong delta
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:48:28 AM

No No, I don't think that she wants to have sex.
she is just having interest in the guy that she touches unintentionally.
 Ill_Make_You_Smile
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:59:08 AM
Well this may seem wrong, but it can and can't it depends on the area, the pressure, age group, and tone of voice when all of this is going on. Normally it does, but if you explain to them that's how you are then they will understand probably, but you should still expect woody to pitch a tent regardless
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 5:29:27 AM
To me, it does not mean s*x but it is a very good indicator that she is at least comfortable with you physically. I'd say it's a signal that increases the probability that she might date you. However, it can be a mixed signal because a lot of women such as yourself don't think anything of it. For a lot of men, getting touched by a woman whom they know causally is unusual for them.
 Zebra Circle
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:32:33 AM

I had never heard that theory before. To me, I always thought it just meant that the person was comfortable with you and enjoyed your company. I never get sexual vibes from it (though a lot of times, I wish).
 mikkie_maus
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/3/2010 7:46:04 AM
I've never assumed that.
 Thesumofallparts
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/3/2010 7:48:22 AM
Some people are just "touchy feely" when they communicate with others. It seems as though women are more like this, due to the fact that they more fully engage people when talking to them and pay more attention, but sometimes men are "touchy feely" as well.

It's pretty fvcking annoying when someone keeps nudging you every single time they talk to you, though
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Women touching men, does it mean they want sex?