Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Heart Healthy Weight Gain..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chill Pill
Msg: 1
Heart Healthy Weight Gain.. Page 1 of 1    
Hi.

I have experience some rapid weight loss in the past few months. I had a battery of test that had all good test results. The doctor thinks that I am losing my appetite from some specific medications that I am taking for my heart. I had two heart attacks in Oct/Nov 2008. I can't edit these meds because they keep my heart ticking.

He suggested that I see a nutritionist. I am searching now for someone but my weight is still plumetting.
I was 147 pounds in Oct 2008, before my heart attack.
I weigh 102 # now. I think it's a dramatic loss considering I am not trying to lose weight but gain it.

Many people are telling me to purchase a Protein supplement/ drink.

I wanted to know who has had experience gaining weight with these powders and who may suggest a brand that is heart healthy.

Thanks any advice is appreciated.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 2
Heart Healthy Weight Gain..
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:41:27 PM
Avocados
bananas
Nuts.. like Brazil and cashews, walnuts and almonds
Flax oil
Raisins
Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil
Olive or flax oil added to soups and dressings

Most protein powders are bunk unless you go with a sugar free whey.
Ask Scott which brand.
Mix with milk and add nuts and flax oil. I have to add stevia or it is nasty.
Don't mix fruit with protein it's highly acidic.

I would snack on the above between regular meals.
Don't over do the Brazil nuts because of the selenium.

Add 2 tablespoons of flax oil to your diet in 2 doses and that is an extra 200 calories a day
Very heart healthy.

I would advise a lot of whole grains, but not if you have a heart condition. Sugar and grains are not what you need.

Good luck!!

Snack on nut butters on whole grain Wasa crackers..limit one cracker a day.
Salt free nut butters.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:45:53 PM

Many people are telling me to purchase a Protein supplement/ drink.

I wanted to know who has had experience gaining weight with these powders and who may suggest a brand that is heart healthy.

IMO Skip the powders and eat heart healthy foods.

Legumes
Soy Beans
Meats

You also may want to look into what you are losing and not just how much.

Is it fat, muscle, water?

That will then maybe give you or your Dr. some incite as to what could be causing it.
 Sketchness
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:46:27 PM
I would ask a pharmacist! They should be able to recommend something appropriate based on your Medications and condition. Something you can add to a healthy diet!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:08:04 PM
Meat for her heart? I disagree completely unless some lean turkey no skin or red Alaskan salmon.

I would ask a pharmacist!

They don't study nutrition and would love to sell her some expensive supplement they sell.

Healthy fats will add healthy calories.

He suggested that I see a nutritionist.

Good idea.
 DaveB951
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:22:59 PM
I can understand your weight loss concern but after looking at your pics you look pretty darn good, if not downright hot at your current weight !!! Damn gurl.

Try eating smaller meals but eating more often... like 5/6 smaller meals a day.

As far as the shakes/protein drinks..... what I feel is best and IMHO is a MRD, which is short for meal replacement drink.

They contain protein, carbs and some fats. Basically a nutritionally complete meal in liquid form.

There was one I used to drink way back in the day that was designed after what the astronauts would drink when in space. It was called Metabolol II by Champion Nutrition.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cn/metab.html

Don`t know your physical limitations and/or restrictions due to your heart situation but if you can walk or even do moderate power walking, it just may help to increase your appetite as well as help maintain as well as stimulate your hormones, glands, etc. etc.

Wish you the best Ms. Hottie :)
 Chill Pill
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/3/2010 7:22:08 PM
Thanks Dave for your compliments. I am not as concern about looks as I am about strength. I just feel really weak.
I was always so self sufficient. I was the Queen of Home Depot. I've had my house 26 years now. Necessity was the mother of invention and I just DIY'd many many projects.
I ripped out bushes, changed starters, knock out door casings, Ive done wiring, refinishing, plumbing. I fixed the oil burner once. I had so much strength. I used to believe that I could do anything I put my mind to, and now I don't because of lack of strength I used to have.

I know some of it I will attribute to age, but I think more has to do with the weight loss.

I asked Pepps earlier if there was a word for woman that means emasculated. This is how I feel. Just lost my energies and I want to get healthy and strong again.

Thanks for the help. Peppermint gave me great advice here and off forum. Thanks.
 white_flag
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:30:08 PM
You can have my excess weight if you want; I don't need it!
 DiannaBall
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/4/2010 4:44:54 AM
SKETCH~~~Being in Pre~Pharmacy School right now I will tell you this is what we are being told NOT to do. We are not studying nutrition. We are studying drugs and what they do to the body and how they work with other drugs and the science behind drugs, period. (And how to deal with Doctors.) And many many other things. It would be a good way to lose a Lisence as a Pharmacist to be giving out Nutritional advice. Or any other advice really; other than what they are at the Pharmacy for. Just a thought.We were just told in class Monday night (Intro To Pharmacy class) "if you want to keep your career, do NOT advise people on Nutrition or anything else other than the drugs prescribed; tell them to ask their Physician." So, I think I will listen to my Professor ~ this College is way to expensive to take Sketch's advice..lol
 caffeinejag
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/4/2010 4:52:51 AM
Hi Mad Chill.

Those are smoking pics but I couldn’t also help noticing that you were holding a lit cigarette. Are you still smoking? Don’t cigarettes suppress the appetite?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/4/2010 5:07:10 AM

Those are smoking pics but I couldn’t also help noticing that you were holding a lit cigarette. Are you still smoking? Don’t cigarettes suppress the appetite?

If you were really trying to help you would point out the heart risks from smoking not the appetite...

I know more obese people that smoke, so if smoking caused dramatic weight/appetite loss all people wanting to lose could just light 2 or 3 a day when wanting to scarf a box of kaboom cereal with ice cream on it.

She knows it is unhealthy we all do.
 caffeinejag
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/4/2010 5:49:28 AM
Peppermint,

I know that smoking is detrimental to ones heart health, let alone all the other health issues. Perhaps I made the mistake in assuming that Mad Chill would also be aware of this.

I am also aware that smokers with a normal appetite can be obese.

My only thought was if cigarettes had any appetite suppressive characteristics they would be additive to her lost of appetite and compound that particular issue.

Just a question to consider.
 Willys Wild Wheaties
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 6:02:40 AM
I have found that shifting to more "healthy fats" like a nuts, seeds, etc. is that they actually promote weight loss/maintanence That's their benefit really.....they are calorie dense but you eat less of them and feel full quickly....unless you want to force yourself to eat....

I actually would suggest an opposite strategy.....try eating more carbs for energy....
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/4/2010 6:32:16 AM

My only thought was if cigarettes had any appetite suppressive characteristics they would be additive to her lost of appetite and compound that particular issue.

Can see your point but she didn't just start smoking and I just think if the smoking caused the appetite loss it would have happened before now.

This is a new thing..with her and it may or may not be relevant.
She needs calories and now, plus energy.

.try eating more carbs for energy....

Carbs only give you short term bursts of energy then a huge let down.
Ever have a baked potato for lunch and want to fall asleep in 20 minutes verses a protein meal?

Most well known nutritionist agree protein and healthy fat is for energy.

Carbs will make her more tired in the long run.

She has more than one issue here. Energy, weight loss, heart problem and medications.

Everyone is trying to help and that's great.
Most have some value to their comments, but a professional that has her medical chart in front of them that specializes in her issues and is a trained nutritionist is her best bet.

We all love ya chill..

peppermint petunias
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/4/2010 6:50:33 AM
Actually lack of oxygen in the blood and to the heart can cause low energy, so let me correct myself.

Smoking could be affecting energy levels more than I thought.

There is a very quick test for that that a lot of emphysema patients have used for years that is all natural and is a safe substance called DMG. You put it under the tongue and more oxygen goes to the heart and brain pretty quick.

Long name Dimethyglycine.

I have seen people who couldn't walk a flight of stairs use it and become more active also people who have dragged an oxygen tank around not have to.

It will greatly affect the co2 levels in the blood work.

I certainly have been corrected about the smoking..humbly.

Do inquire about it and research it and energy/oxygen levels.
 Chill Pill
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/4/2010 2:58:04 PM
Ohhh.. I fight with smoking all the time. Back and forth and back and forth. I am a hopeluss addict. That is not a cigarette in the pic.

I didn't drink for 18 years and now I rarely sit and have one drink. I used to just drink when I was with my boyfriend, two shots maybe. I havent had a drink in 3 mos.

I used to go on a junk diet to gain weight. Cheeze, bacon, burgers, steaks, chocolate, cake, cookies, buckets of ice cream. I would eat 6 times a day. I never had a problem maintaining 140 pounds.

Now I can't eat the meats, cheezes, butter, butter, butter.. Oh did I say butter?

So I am a bit more challenged. I had rapid weight loss in the past . When I first got divorced and I just put it back on with Ben and Jerry.
 caffeinejag
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/4/2010 3:24:41 PM
Hi Mad Chill,

Well the caption of the picture is “August 2009, Yeah, I’m smoking.”

So if that is not a cigarette you must be talking about your bod, and I can’t argue.

Wish I had some advice, but I don’t!

Good luck.
 Sketchness
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 11:04:59 PM
Thanks for making my point with your words Dianna. The pharmacist should be able to tell you if what you are thinking about taking has any drug interaction issues with the medication you are on.
 caffeinejag
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/5/2010 5:41:22 AM
No jag.. I'm talkin bout reefer.. It gives me the Munchies every time. LOL ....

Oh,...oh. Now I fee dumb! lol. I'm pretty naive but to my defense, I really wasn't looking too hard at what you were smoking!
 2ears1mouth
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/5/2010 7:18:34 AM
^^^^^^ Well, what one's smoking certainly makes a difference. Mad Chill, indeed...

I'd definitely advise consulting a professional before doing any heavy weight training and/or high protein diet if one has a heart condition. It might help immensely, but for all I know could kill you if overdone.

I've had good results gaining weight on a heavy but infrequent (like once every 7-14 days) weight training regimen while consuming massive amounts of whey protein isolate and maltodextrin carb powder, to which I typically add magnesium ascorbate (Vitamin C buffered with magnesium), sometimes a tablespoon of flax oil, and sometimes creatine powder. Perhaps a not so heavy version of such a regimen may help. Rest is definitely key for anyone who has a hard time maintaining weight.

And I eat lots of fatty meat, but have very low cholesterol and 100-110/70-80 blood pressure. So I don't buy into this anti-meat stuff bunk if one is active enough that their body makes proper use of the protein and fat and they get enough fiber to move it through.

Twinlab "100% Whey Protein Fuel" is the brand I use, as it has no nasty side-effects for a rather lactose intolerant individual as myself, and is among the less expensive high-quality brands. I use NOW Foods Caro Gain for the carb powder.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 11:43:01 AM
The problem is she has had to cut out all the foods that would be good for weight gain (red meats, cottage cheese, eggs, bacon, butter, ice creame) becuse of the heart condition. In addition the doctor probably has her on a low sodium diet making things more challenging.

Personally I would avoid veggies they will fill you up and give little to no calories. If you want have them as snacks but dont try to combine them with a meal

I would recommend lots of fruits, nuts and starches. Hell 1 bananna is 200 cals. Dired fruits are very good for consumming lots of cals. Then if I were you I would keep food (unsalted almonds work very well but are a bit expensive) next to me all day and just keep munching all the time. For protien ask you doctor but tofu or turkey, fish or chicken will probably do.

If you do want to eat things like red meat, eggs, and dairy to help maintain weight, 15 minutes of intense cardio (not fat burning but intense) is suposed to burn off bad colerstal (HDL) but leave good colerstal (LDL) behind. Personally I would'nt attemt this with your heart condition as you dont know how your body will react to the increased HDL's
 hamster-dance
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/5/2010 9:27:36 PM
I've been having the exact same problem because of my bipolar meds, and I recently saw a nutritionist. I highly recommend you see one too. Unless you're 5'1" you're already underweight. I was kind of lucky in that I started out 65 lbs overweight, so I have a bit more time to work with before it gets critical. But I have a really hard time getting enough to eat, and have dropped quite a bit in a short time too.

My nutritionist's advice was based on what I was previously eating, and also on what foods I can tolerate, as they are fairly limited.

She told me to have the whey protein shakes every day, and add either a banana or some silken tofu, and also try things like peanut butter and berries in them. I just bought some straight sugar free whey powder at some supplement store. If you ask them for help at the store they can recommend you something.

She told me to get at least 3 servings of starches (grains, potatoes) a day because your body will burn it for energy instead of turning muscle into sugar and burning that instead.

She recommended using milk instead of water to make my instant oatmeal and cocoa, and to get 3 servings of dairy or fortified orange juice daily. I don't eat cheese either besides mozzarella, so I get it from milk, yogurt, kefir and cottage cheese.

To start taking a multivitamin every day.

Little to no caffeine, because it suppresses your appetite.

To have at least one serving of beans/legumes a day for the fiber and protein.

Last she wants me to have at least one serving of green vegetables a day. Right now this only includes salad for me, but I'm planning on retrying a few that I used to like.

She also told me it's important to keep exercising because it keeps you from losing as much muscle, even cardio. And if having a glass of wine helps your appetite it is fine from a nutritional standpoint.

This is a freaking ton of food for me. I pretty much have to start eating as soon as I wake up, and continue until late at night, and I just eat small amounts at once, hungry or not. I feel uncomfortably full a lot of the time. I don't eat a lot of meat either besides tuna and canned chicken. I get a lot of my protein from the whey protein, dairy, eggs, and beans.

I'm still losing weight, but I'm getting more than I used to.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/12/2010 5:32:21 PM
I was searching for similar foods a while back. One that I found that is very calorie dense yet not fatty are lima beans. Got a can right here: 90 calories a serving 3.5 servings per can so that's 315 calories if you eat the whole can 15 oz can (spread them through the day maybe). One downside is there's alot of sodium in canned sometimes so maybe rinse them before or get a no/low sodium one. They also have a lot of dietary fiber.
 hamster-dance
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/13/2010 9:53:49 PM
The problem for me at least is I can't eat a whole can of anything. Peanut butter is good as it has about 100 cals per tablespoon and lots of protein and good fats. Low sodium and some fiber too.
 newdejavu
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2010 5:26:41 AM
Since I've given up dairy, I've had the problem of losing too much weight, too. Some good suggestions on here; I've added dark chocolate and flaxseed to my diet but still can't gain any weight. Nice problem to have, I realize, but any additional suggestions to put on (healthy) weight without adding back dairy would be appreciated!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Heart Healthy Weight Gain..