Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Peyton is not the Greatest QB ever      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TitsMcGee213
Msg: 1
Peyton is not the Greatest QB everPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I am sick of hearing this nonsense and the analysts wanted to give him the Lombardi trophy before Sunday. The man won 1 ring and he threw 3 tds, 7 ints during that playoff run. During the regular season, he plays better than anyone ever but, in the playoffs he disappears and is outplayed by Brady, Rivers and now Brees. I definitely think he's great, but he's more of a stat machine to me and has a way to go to pass Montana.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Peyton is not the Greatest QB ever
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:43:39 PM
He will be considerd as one of the great QB's to ever play in the NFL when it's all said and done but not one of the greatist to ever play in the NFL. To be considerd as one of the greatist, you have to be an considerd as an Elite QB. Elite QB's not only put up the stats but win Superbowls. Guys like Montana, Aikmen, Bradshaw are Elite QB's just to name a few. Manning has not only lost a Superbowl but ended up losing the Superbowl for his team when he threw that int which got returned for a touchdown that basicly put the Colts out of arms reach from winning that game and that's something that Elite QB's don't do in big games like that.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/9/2010 5:19:13 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Peyton....Well actually I hate the guy, but this guy is good. Do I think he is in the same level category as Montana, Aikman, or Brady? No. However, I do consider him in a higer category than Marino or other QBs....For the reason he has won "a Super Bowl". Like or not, Peyton is a good QB and is a nightmare for opposing defense. I know, just because of what happen Sunday doesn't mean his career is over. Peyton Manning got plenty of life left. For me personally, I hope he chokes everyday....But that's just wishful thinking on my part. I'm all about Brady and the Patriots; and Brady also has some life too....So maybe we might see a pair of SB wins from both these QB's in the near future....Stay tuned!
 HDready10
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 5:40:10 PM
welcome aboard smallie

up until the super bowl he was one of the greatest active quarterbacks and somewhere in the top 20 among all-time. but by not winning the super bowl hurt him, pushed him back.
 Crane38
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:09:22 PM
Peyton has had a great career, definitely Hall of fame but he is not the greatest QB ever. Win some more Super Bowls and then we can revisit this issue. But look at it another way, he has millions of dollars and he is set for life, not too bad!
 MGMLION
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:16:11 PM
Peyton usually chokes in the Big Games. He was won 9 Playoff games and has lost 9 playoff games. Won one Super Bowl and Lost one Super Bowl. During the regular season games up there with the greatest ever, Come Post season not even close.
 Ezzee
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:43:44 PM
Here is the age old question:

What are the criteria to be considered the greatest ever at a position or in a sport?

Is it by the number of Championships they win?
Is it there stats?
Is it there leadership to the team?
Is there some balancing to all three?

Sadly, there is no definitive answer. All views as to this question are subjective, not objective. And until we get an objective way to determine this question, then we will always be arguing over a subjective set of circumstances.

Oh, and btw, I'm not advocating one way or another for Peyton to be mentioned above the elites, I'm just pointing out a fact here.
 nipoleon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 4:33:50 AM
Only Bradshaw, Montana and Aikman won 3 or more Super Bowls without losing one.
Not even the Steelers of the 70's, or the 49ers of the 80's won Super Bowls 4 straight years in a row. They all had seasons where they fell short.

Joe Montana was traded to the K.C Chiefs and took them to the ACF Championship game in his 1st year there.

It should be remembered that no one player wins or loses a Super Bowl, or any game for that matter.
Teams win games, not players.
 newdejavu
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:45:42 AM

What are the criteria to be considered the greatest ever at a position or in a sport?

This is a good question and one we could debate and still not answer. I agree with the OP; Peyton is not the greatest ever, and not even the greatest active QB. Really, to me,
Championships are a very key consideration. Tom Brady is the best in the game today IMO. You've got to put Drew Brees in the conversation as close to Peyton Manning after the Super Bowl. Little brother Eli could get in the mix with another Super Bowl. Big Ben gets overlooked but two rings has him in the conversation as well.

I agree that teams win championships; and yeah, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with the great Ravens Defense in 2000 & likewise Brad Johnson in Tampa Bay with their great D in 2002 . But, to win multiple Super Bowls is what to me quantifies "greatness". Like another poster said, Peyton still has time to add a ring or two to his collection, until then he's just one of the best.
 TitsMcGee213
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/10/2010 10:16:55 AM

Is it by the number of Championships they win?
Is it there stats?
Is it there leadership to the team?
Is there some balancing to all three?

Its not that he lost, Elway lost THREE Super Bowls and got the last 2 when he got a running game. The thing is year after year, he disappears in the big games. Regular season he is the GOAT, but Brady owns him in the playoffs minus the 06 AFC Championship and Rivers beat him 2 years in a row. The man has gotten 1st round bye FOUR times and this year was the 1st time they won the div. round game let alone the Super Bowl.
 iHaveAMagicJohnson
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/10/2010 11:04:19 AM
Top me the greatest are Montana, Unitas, Elway, and even though he has no ring, Marino. The 5th spot is between Brady Manning and Favre.
 MrLove45
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:36:25 PM
and lets not forget that the lone title p manning had was gift wrapped to him by roger goodell and chicago bears( now who in the hell would go into battle with rex grossman as your quarterback? hell I would feel better with trent dilfers as my quarterback than that horrible t urd of a quarterback in rex grossman)....
now p manning is a good quarterback, he has taken advantage of a great system and a good gm too. But he's shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the true great ones in Bradshaw,Montana,Aikman,Marino,Fouts and yes I would talk about Brady and Rothlisberger before I would get around to letting p manning or b farve fall come out of my mouth but we all know you got guys like John Madden, Chris Bergman,tom jackson and every nfl analyst that drink the manning/fare kool aid before every broadcast....
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 1:29:34 PM
This is a double sided sword.

It's too bad some have decided to say he is the best ever, Especially when the president comes on during the pre-game of the Super Bowl and makes that comment. He is by far not the best ever.

What sucks is, He is a great QB, and probably will even be better, it's too bad people have to knock him because some are praising him too much.

I think it's those that are praising him as the best ever are the ones who don't know what they are talking about, and they should be pointed out. But I don't think I have ever heard Manning say he is the best.

In the conversations here, other QB's are mentioned and rightfully so as better than Manning, QB's like Bart Star are even great QB's... and by the time their seasons are over, QB's like Brees, Manning, Warner, Rivers and even perhaps a guy like Sanchez (He has a long career ahead of him, sure) but in their own rights, they may all be great QB's...

If you make it to the NFL, you have to admit, they are at the very least good QB's, but some as we have mentioned have a certain greatness. But the Greatest of all time? Thats a very small list of names. To even pick just one... Is say, Montana the greatest of all time? To base it on success and stats and leadership and everything else, all I can say is, It isn't Manning, as great as he is.
 colt8301
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/10/2010 3:20:35 PM
I am sick of hearing this nonsense and the analysts wanted to give him the Lombardi trophy before Sunday. The man won 1 ring and he threw 3 tds, 7 ints during that playoff run. During the regular season, he plays better than anyone ever but, in the playoffs he disappears and is outplayed by Brady, Rivers and now Brees. I definitely think he's great, but he's more of a stat machine to me and has a way to go to pass Montana.

He's going to be a step higher than Marino because of his ring, then again he could have a run in the next few years to catapult him over a few of his peers Rothlisberger and Brady, but as of right now i see him below them. That was his drive in the superbowl, Rothlisberger did it last year, brady did it a few times, when the game was on the line they made the throws.
 Pondering the Circle.....
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:08:41 PM
up until the super bowl he was one of the greatest active quarterbacks and somewhere in the top 20 among all-time. but by not winning the super bowl hurt him, pushed him back.

It shouldn't push him back but you're probably right...on the flip side...is Marino considered any less of a QB because of his lack of rings?
The reason Peyton fades in the playoffs is not so much about him as it is about the rest of his team not being on a par with the rest of the other teams players. In a team game it's tough to judge an individual players greatness or lack thereof. In a sport like golf it is quite easy to determine that Tiger is the best that ever played the game because he's the only participant responsible for the outcome.
Right now, playing today's game who would you pick ahead of him to be your QB?
How many Super Bowls would the Vikings and Bills have won if he were the QB on those teams?
 HDready10
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:33:03 PM
Sonoran%20Swimmer playing today's game who would you pick ahead of him to be your QB?

dree brees coming off a super bowl win is in hog-heaven.
then maybe farve and brady they have super bowl wins. then about 10 more behind them.

far as marino he was a good qb i remember his stats back then and today still look good. some people feel something missing if a so called great qb never won in a sb. then they turn it into a great big controversy.

anything the president says is gonna be amplified as far as him saying who is the greatest qb. thats how this theard started, a good topic. but, its his own opinion and everybody is entitled to their own. im glad though he likes sports.
 Pondering the Circle.....
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/10/2010 9:14:18 PM

dree brees coming off a super bowl win is in hog-heaven.
then maybe farve and brady they have super bowl wins. then about 10 more behind them.

Ten guys ahead of Peyton? I don't know about that. Maybe Favre and Brady...but that's it in my book.

ome people feel something missing if a so called great qb never won in a sb.

Yeah I know, it's weird that one individuals career is judged so critically when there's a whole team around him that might be the real cause he doesn't win.

thats how this theard started, a good topic.

Didn't see anything about the President in the thread...looked like the OP was sick and tired of the Peyton is God crap. Personally I hate Peyton, respect him, but hate him. I like his brother though because Eli plays for the greatest football team ever in the history of the world. Eli has just as many rings as Peyton but nobody with a clue would take Eli over Peyton.
 nipoleon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 1:53:31 AM
Peyton can't be the greatest quarterback ever.
Isn't that title reserved for Tim Tebow ?
 HDready10
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 6:56:37 AM
Sonoran Swimmer Ten guys ahead of Peyton?

its brees, farve, brady and peyton.10 others that had good seasons last year that could step up is what i meant. i forgot to put peyton in there. if the colts would have won the sb peyton and brees just change places. thats want i meant about him getting pushed back.
peyton manning was up there going into the super bowl and with a previous sb win.

eli finished at 10 this year maybe thats what people look at. but should he win another super bowl, look out.
 MrLove45
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:28:00 AM
sounds like we may have a gatorhater in the house... I bet those gatorhaters sure are glad to see Mr Tebow graduate from Florida and take all those championships and winning on the bigger and new opportunities. It has been my experience that the gatorhaters and tebowhaters usuallly are ohio state suckeye or chokelahoma fans/alum,etc so you pretty much cant blame them for their feelings since Florida and USC ruled college football this past decade...but come on now this is a thread about how p manning isn't the greatest quarterback and shouldn't be mentioned with the greats ....atleast not just yet anyhow...he's good and has a very good offensive line and have had good weapons around him as will as a good scheme too.
 dennyden
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 12:16:49 PM
as most of u know iam a colts fan, maybe peyton isnt the best ever, i will say that he isnt for the sake of this thread, but even if hes a top 10 of all time, which that he is, that means he is the top .001% or so that ever played the game, so have u people become so over bearing that now thats not even enuff?? besides u cant hold it against the players for what the commenators have to say about him or what they said leading up to the superbowl. say what ever u want to about the superbowl rings he doesnt have but would anyone take trent dillfer over dan marino, i think that makes my point. also the best is just peoples opinions anyway, i think hall of fame is what the highest honor is for a play football player. and thats where he will be going when hes done playing well there and then hopefully to knoxville to coach the vols, now that would be great,lol
 colt8301
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/11/2010 1:51:05 PM
sounds like we may have a gatorhater in the house... I bet those gatorhaters sure are glad to see Mr Tebow graduate from Florida and take all those championships and winning on the bigger and new opportunities

Actually I'm the biggest GATOR HATER of them all, I can't stand the basketball teams, soccer, debate teams, volleyball, the buildings, the babies with the gator jerseys on, the school books, the cheerleaders, most of all the f#$king fans, If a earth ending asteroid was going to hit the earth I want it to hit gainesville FIRST, lol.
 skoochie
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:23:14 PM
^^^^ Hate the babies with the Gator jersies on. That's funny. No one hates babies, but you have an exception.

Peyton still has time to get into the club with the elite. Everyone was talikng about how Favre was the interception king and a washed up geriatric. Then he proved them all wrong by having the best season of his career statistically. Never under estimate the power of perserverance and the will to prove everyone wrong.
 MGMLION
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:29:25 PM

as most of u know iam a colts fan,

Dennyden Who DAT? Who Dat Dennyden thinks gonna beat them Saints?
NOT Peyton Manning and the Colts.
 HDready10
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 7:29:54 PM
HDready10 its brees, farve, brady and peyton.

im gonna change mine again its farve, brady then brees ....final answer.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Peyton is not the Greatest QB ever