Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Future Superbowls to be played in all climates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Future Superbowls to be played in all climates?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Super Bowl XLIV is upon us and for the 44th time it will be played in warm weather. Every year the game is played in a city with good weather in winter or inside if the game is held in a northern climate. But that may change since the NFL is considering putting the game in the new Meadowlands Stadium. NFL Commissioner Roger Gooddell said "Playing in the elements is central to the way the game of football is played. I think being able to do that and celebrate the game of football in the No. 1 market could have tremendous benefits.”

It’s risky to bet on February weather in New York. Yesterday’s storm didn’t much affect our area, but those just a little south got two feet of snow. A major storm is certainly a possibility and if conditions were bad enough the Super Bowl could be played in a near-empty stadium.

But, the history of football is full of famous games played outdoors in the cold. The “Sneakers Game” in 1934 and the “Greatest Game Ever Played” in 1958 were both played in New York in December and determined the NFL champion. “The Ice Bowl”, “The Tuck Rule Game” and “Ice Bowl 2” were all playoff games where teams had to compete in brutal conditions.

And that's what makes them memorable. Football fans remember Tom Coughlin’s red face on that cold night in Green Bay two years ago and Tom Brady scrambling through the snow against the Raiders. The majority of the NFL season and playoffs take place in the open air where the elements can be a factor. Why should the Super Bowl be any different? Bring the game to New York and stop the practice of confining the game to warm weather sites. Football players are tough; they can handle some cold and snow.

http://gothamist.com/2010/02/07/making_the_call_bring_us_the_super.php

I completely agree. You play in all kinds of weather all throughout the reguler and post season, so the Superbowl shouldn't be any diff imo. I really hope they go through with this. I think every NFL team and every NFL fan deserves to have a Superbowl hosted in their city.
 nipoleon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Future Superbowls to be played in all climates?
Posted: 2/10/2010 3:29:42 AM
This would have made sense 40 years ago before the popularity and practicality of domed stadiums became obvious .
Sooner or later literally every NFL team who's city is prone to bad weather will be playing in domes anyway.
Besides, would you really want the biggest game of the year played in a snow storm ?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/10/2010 8:48:11 AM
Yes, that would be awesome! Bring on the snow! I LIKE the unexpected elements, I find it extremely boring to see quarterback handoff to fullback two yards gain ALL DAY LONG. UGH.

I vaguely remember that game where the guy on the tractor cleaned off the kicking spot for the home team. I thought it was great, the other team hated it. But , hey, dudes, that's the home team advantage!
 HDready10
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 9:07:52 AM
in the old texas stadium which is slated to be imploded in a couple months had a opening all around the base of the roof. sitting there you would almost get warm when a gush of cold wind would blow. i dont know how that is on a body, but i guess its better than sitting there all afternoon in 32 degree weather.
the organzation came back later on and enclosed that opening and the only type of wind that blew came in through the roof.
the nfl wanted to have superbowls here but because of the opening they did not.
texas staduim was not such a warm friendly environment in january.
 skoochie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 9:39:50 AM
HHmmm. The number one market in the NFL can't afford to put a roof on their new stadium. If they think the fans are happier in the snow than they would be in a dome, they are out of their minds. If NY wants a SB then buck up and pay for the roof. You don't get to cut costs on your stadium then say you want a SB played there.

I think the weather should not be a factor in palying a game the magnitude of the SB. I'd hate for teams and fans to have some stupid excuse like weather to use to justify why their team lost. "The ball slipped out of his hands and that wouldn't have happened if the weather wasn't a factor." "The field was a mud pit and the players couldn't keep traction." "The wind blew that FG wide right which made that team lose the game." We don't need asterisks next to SB games just so NY can have a SB in there new mediocre stadium.
 newdejavu
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 10:08:49 AM
With all the advanced planning required to pull off a Superbowl; I don't think it should be played in a cold weather city, either. The Championship Games are fair because home field advantage is earned through best record in the regular season. But, like skoochie said, a warm weather team could get to the Superbowl and then be forced to play in a cold weather game; that takes away the neutrality of the Superbowl and does change the context of it.

Dome the stadium if you want the Superbowl in NY.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/10/2010 11:16:04 AM
Canada allows all its CFL cities to host the Grey Cup, even though the league could easily just host it between BC and Toronto (two domed stadiums in the league).
I've been to many Grey Cups and the event can not be dampened in any way by the weather. It's a huge party, as is the Supers Bowl.
The argument can certainly be made that a bad weather Super Bowl would favour one team over the other,. particularly if it is, say, Green Bay vs. Jacksonville, or Buffalo vs. San Diego, where the latter teams are not used to such elements. But really, the Super Bowl, more often then not, is a pretty bad game anyway.
 Ezzee
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 7:46:03 AM

Sooner or later literally every NFL team who's city is prone to bad weather will be playing in domes anyway.

Funny you say that considering that the Minnesota Vikings are currently trying to build a new stadium without a roof. I guess that means Minnesota doesn't have bad weather.

I think the weather should not be a factor in palying a game the magnitude of the SB. I'd hate for teams and fans to have some stupid excuse like weather to use to justify why their team lost. "The ball slipped out of his hands and that wouldn't have happened if the weather wasn't a factor." "The field was a mud pit and the players couldn't keep traction." "The wind blew that FG wide right which made that team lose the game." We don't need asterisks next to SB games just so NY can have a SB in there new mediocre stadium.

So it is ok for them to have those same complaints during the regular season? I mean, if we really wanted to make everything fair on all levels, then all games would be played in the same stadium. That way no one could complain about anything like the weather. But that is what makes the NFL what it is. The weather and the chances of something happening.

Also, if you look at the history, only 13 Super Bowls have been played in Domed stadiums. Which means there was a chance on those other 31 Super Bowls for wind and rain, and well, snow as well, considering that after today, the only state that won't have snow is Hawaii. So the NFL has been lucky. Big whoop. One of these days they are going to be screwed by a windy rainy day during the Super Bowl.

But, like skoochie said, a warm weather team could get to the Superbowl and then be forced to play in a cold weather game; that takes away the neutrality of the Superbowl and does change the context of it.

Fine, so you want to preserve the neutrality of the Super Bowl? So next year, when the Dallas Cowboys make it to the Super Bowl, where do they plan to move the Super Bowl to, because obviously there would be Neutrality of the Super Bowl if it is being held in Cowboys Stadium?

I've been to many Grey Cups and the event can not be dampened in any way by the weather. It's a huge party, as is the Supers Bowl.

I envy my friends to the North then. It's sad that my fellow Americans have become such whiny pansies that they can no longer brave the weather. Maybe I should start following the CFL more. Tell me, do they do Fantasy CFL Football?
 newdejavu
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:23:58 PM

Fine, so you want to preserve the neutrality of the Super Bowl? So next year, when the Dallas Cowboys make it to the Super Bowl, where do they plan to move the Super Bowl to, because obviously there would be Neutrality of the Super Bowl if it is being held in Cowboys Stadium?

That would depend on the opponent. If the Steelers make it to the Superbowl; I can guarantee you there will be at least be 50% Steeler fans. I see your point, though, if it's a team who's fans don't travel as well.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:33:20 PM
The only way to guarantee neutrality in a Super Bowl is to have it in Detroit, because the Lions will never play in one
 sum1reel
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/11/2010 11:06:46 PM
the problem in playing the SB in harsher climates lies NOT in playing the game itself, but in the viewership (and even the sponsorship).

imagine sitting in a stadium and trying to watch a game amidst a blizzard or heavy winds...now imagine watching such a game on TV....as i'm sure we've all seen some games being played in Buffalo in such conditions.

tho i personally wouldn't mind, I don't think that it would be pleasing to the "eye" having it in a place with rough winters in an un-domed stadium.

As far as neutrality goes, i wouldn't mind seeing the SB played in the home of the team with the better regular season record!
 grandhusker
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 2:36:46 AM
Dome Stadiums are for p*ssies! Football is meant to be played OUTSIDE!
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/12/2010 9:33:26 AM

imagine sitting in a stadium and trying to watch a game amidst a blizzard or heavy winds...now imagine watching such a game on TV....as i'm sure we've all seen some games being played in Buffalo in such conditions.

Cheeseheads do that for every game past October 20!
I've done it on numerous occasions for CFL playoff games, as well as the Heritage Classic NHL game in Edmonton ... that one was -15F and there were two games played! At the end of the 8-hour day there were still about 40,000 fans in the stands of the 58,000 that stated the day.
 skoochie
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:48:46 PM
I remember watching a game between the Bears and Eagles in a playoff game where you couldn't barely see the field due to fog. How would you like that for your viewing pleasure? A SB where the cameramen can't see the ball.
 Ezzee
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:58:23 PM

I remember watching a game between the Bears and Eagles in a playoff game where you couldn't barely see the field due to fog. How would you like that for your viewing pleasure? A SB where the cameramen can't see the ball.

It happens every so often in a Super Bowl, only it's not fog that is preventing the cameraman from seeing the ball. It's usually smoke from the fire, smoke, and light spectacular they put on for halftime and prior to the game.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 4:46:54 PM
Right now you have to pay a very high premium to go to a Superbowl and many people may not want to pay such high premiums to watch a Superbowl undesirable weather conditions, but I think if they considerably lowered the ticket prices for Superbowls it would compensate for the weather conditions where people would be willing to go to the game regardless of the weather.
 climbsagain
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/13/2010 5:28:44 PM
Right now you have to pay a very high premium to go to a Superbowl and many people may not want to pay such high premiums to watch a Superbowl undesirable weather conditions, but I think if they considerably lowered the ticket prices for Superbowls it would compensate for the weather conditions where people would be willing to go to the game regardless of the weather.

The game is all about money. The NFL will always base all decisions on money. The NFL will not lower prices go play in the cold.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 5:34:20 PM
Well if they want to attract a large sum of people in all types of weather conditions they will have to. i mean i can't see someone paying 1300 for a superbowl ticket in the nose bleed seats during a snow storm.......
 justnancy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 5:59:15 PM
LOL, yeah for a cheap ticket I'd love to go to a Super Bowl game. For 1300, I want my comfort. Some good wine or beer, good food.... With pre-shows, half time being longer, that's a lot of freezing time.

Funny I do think football is a better sport played in snowy/cold weather, but for the price of a Super Bowl ticket the FANS don't want to freeze.

Too Bad Dallas stadium is domed. The Super Bowl is being played their next year. If they have a snowy winter like this season, their could be a chance of a snowy Super Bowl. That would be cool, snowy but not a "blizzard" , but even it it snows, they are domed.
 MGMLION
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:07:19 PM

Too Bad Dallas stadium is domed. The Super Bowl is being played their next year. If they have a snowy winter like this season, their could be a chance of a snowy Super Bowl. That would be cool, snowy but not a "blizzard" , but even it it snows, they are domed.

Cowboys Stadium can also be opened up.
 justnancy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:11:27 PM

Cowboys Stadium can also be opened up.

Oh my, that IS a new FANCY stadium you guys have.

I say open the dome and let it snow!!!!
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:38:17 PM
Anyone who pays 1300 for nosebleed seats has too much money to begin with.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 12:36:22 AM
People put 2nd mortgage on their houses just go to a Superbowl! And you wonder why the housing market is soo screwed up right now because of idiots like that.

Superbowls cost a lot of money you have you buy tickets in sets of two. Like i said the upper deck areas are 650 per ticket which = 1300 a pair.
 HDready10
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 5:44:25 PM
justnancy I say open the dome and let it snow!!!!

i dont know.
im not as young as i use to be but i played football in the snow yesterday. if your use to it, its ok but if not its comical. thats called an advantage.

it would not be fair to houston foresay to have a super bowl in bufflao. so anybody tryin to change things good luck.
 grilledsalmon
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/21/2010 9:20:45 AM
The last rediculously weather-hindering football game I remember was the Miami at Pittsburgh night game played during horrible weather. It was Miami's losing year. No one could handle the ball or stay on thier feet. It was scoreless until about 30 seconds left in the entire game and was won by a Steelers field goal. (Yay to THAT anyway!)That game was absurd. It had nothing to do with skill of the game. And it favored neither team.

Another thing to consider is the half-time headliner -- still the subject of it being all about money. Can you imagine any of the main acts of the last 5 superbowls agreeing to appear with snow falling all arond them in 20-degree weather?

But I do have a side question on that: Should there be a big rainstorm during half-time in a warm-climate but undomed satdium, what do they do?
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Future Superbowls to be played in all climates?