Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > The TTC & Adam Giambrone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Thatguy67
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam GiambronePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I haven't seen such a spate of negative publicity against the TTC. With a collector sleeping on the job, a debate over drivers & their bathroom breaks, a call by union head Bob Kinnear to stop harassment of his workers, and a TTC commissioner dropping out of the mayoral race due to his "youthful indiscretion."
Plus a mayor who is nowhere to be seen.

Is the recent publicity against the TTC deserved?

Are TTC employees being treated unfairly?

Does the fault lie with the union or mgmt or both?

Should Adam Giambrone resign as TTC commissioner?

Is the TTC really the "better way" anymore?
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:22:58 PM
The whole thing is outrageous... I've never seen people mistreat anyone when I lived in the GTA as much as they do the drivers of the TTC. I've actually seen drivers pass a bus stop because of the rowdiness of the drivers... and they're always under scrutiny while transporting passengers that are unreasonable and unpredictable...

As for the guy sleeping... hell, I've been close to nodding off at work myself and I've even seen a co-worker snooze for a while. It's called being human... I'd like to think that the guy has at least a chance to explain himself and for this to be a mild admonishment situation rather than the hullabaloo that it appears to have turned into...

When I'm using public transportation, I make it a point to greet the driver... goes a long way in brightening someone's day.

As for the resignation... seriously... is he doing that bad a job? I don't think so... then again I'm not on the GTA all that often so maybe I'm mistaken.
 cheshire_grin
Msg: 3
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:44:02 PM
As much harassment as the TTC drivers take, I would also like to point out how much money they make and that they go into it being aware of the risks.

We don't jump up and down about how much harassment police officers get, even just meter maids. But that's their job, right? Dealing with people means you get flack.

I feel for them. It's shitty getting crap from people that are customers. But that's what TTC users are. They're customers. And we're paying for a pretty crap-tastic service, in my opinion.

I used to take the TTC all the time. Everywhere. Until I couldn't stand it anymore and now I walk everywhere or I don't go.

Between finding week-old crusted vomit in one bathroom, and I say week old because I was there everyday for a week, and having to file a health complaint because of it, to being hit on by a couple inappropriate drivers, and their astounding lack of service, I wondered "Why am I paying for this?"

I couldn't get away with being a slack-jawed jerk at my work, and I work with people. I work in retail. I could not get away with the attitude and the nerve that TTC employees give to people PAYING to be there.

I don't think the drivers deserve all the flak they get, but I think the TTC is seriously disgusting and I would never stand up to defend them. If the drivers can't take the pressure, time to find another job. Everyone has their ability to deal with stress. If you can't deal, don't apply for a high-pressure job.
 dodger1
Msg: 4
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:50:18 PM
Yes he screwed up .....but lets face it,if he does his job well and runs the TTC properly who gives a rats ass what he does in his personal life.As long as he makes rational decisions and his personal life doesn't affect how he runs the TTC leave him be.
He is the one that has to wake up in the morning and look himself in the mirror.Every worker is entitled to coffee breaks or bathroom breaks.I wonder how many people that ride on the TTC work a whole shift without a bathroom break or coffee break,besides it is unhealthy to sit in one spot for long periods of time.Would I be pissed if I were on a bus that stopped for 15 minutes....hell yes,but then again I am usually always 15 to 20 minutes early.
As for the sleeper on the job people do get tired,most of us don't get caught on camera though
Really never thought about the Mayor but now that you mention him Hmmmm he hasn't really been in the news since the holidays......maybe he is hibernating
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/10/2010 5:54:14 PM
I think this entire situation is ridiculous.

Since when do men not have affairs ? Since when do we actually hold our politicians to such high moral ground ? Come on its 2010 not 1937 .

Adam had several affairs ... on his GIRLFRIEND who doesnt actually care ... so why should we ?

The people have no right to the bedrooms of our politicians.

Plus , honestly , if your 30 something and some hot 19 year old is trying to get in your pants and your not serious about your girlfriend ... well ... your going to hit that too ... lets be more honest with ourselves here people

JMHO
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:04:53 PM

As much harassment as the TTC drivers take, I would also like to point out how much money they make and that they go into it being aware of the risks.
So, how much money is it worth getting called a fawking ***hole a hundred times a day... trust me, a negative work environment cannot be justified by any amount of money... I'm amazed that you're trying to justify it.

I couldn't get away with being a slack-jawed jerk at my work, and I work with people. I work in retail. I could not get away with the attitude and the nerve that TTC employees give to people PAYING to be there.
Keep eating the shyte customers dish out for another twenty years and then come back and read your post regarding the treatment of public servants.

Respect... give it, get it... it has to start somewhere...
 dodger1
Msg: 7
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:03:54 PM

Respect... give it, get it... it has to start somewhere...

No kidding...I wouldn't want those drivers jobs I drive for a living myself only thing different is my freight doesn't talk back,move around,pull a gun on me,spit at me,and so on.
 CLJStyles
Msg: 8
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 6:09:07 AM
I was rooting for Giambrone. He was a bit of a clown, but he thought differently than everyone else. So, either you go with what you know and expect the same, or try something new. And I was sad to hear he's dropped out of the race.

The TTC deserves everything it gets. I understand that it's not easy to effectively run such a large organization (think this is bad, try New York's system), but most of the time it seems like they aren't even trying.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 6:33:58 AM

The TTC deserves everything it gets.
The TTC isn't an entity unto itself... it is the employees that have to put up with punkass kids/people that walk around with a huge sense of entitlement as to what their two bucks will buy them.

You want perfect service, respect and to be called sir or ma'am...? Hire a private car service...

Seriously... the transit system in Toronto and outlying areas is one of the best I've ever seen. Try co-ordinating hundreds of busses in traffic that is oppressive at times under inclement weather conditions and other exterior influences that are all costing time to the routes. Then add in some goofball that has had to wait at a stop for an extra five minutes and is bytching and grumbling at the driver for missing his transfer to the go-train to get to work on time. Multiply that by the thousands of passengers a day and then you can tell them that they're doing a half-assed job because you, one out of millions is late.

Oh... and that's just the tip of the crap they deal with on a daily basis...
 honeyangel1985
Msg: 10
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 10:45:06 AM
Adam Giambrone admitted to one of his skanks that he was only with his gf for political reasons. I hope his gf has the brains to kick him out. Firstly he says that crap then cheats on her numerous times. Idiot! He's thinking with his wiener and allowing his affairs to negatively affect his ability to do his job effectively. He needs to be fired from the TTC.

I have and sometimes do us the TTC and I have never seen a passenger harrass a TTC employee so that's crap. I have seen passengers harrassed by TTC staff and I have been harrassed as well. Their service is lousy, their drivers have easy jobs, are ignorant and rude, and you have to love when during a driver shift change (that should take a few minutes but ends up taking much, much longer) the 2 drivers have to have a personal conversation about families and nonsense like that when there is a bus full of passengers waiting. Or when they saunter into a coffee shop for a coffee and dawdle back out again. Idiots!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 2:22:55 PM

I have and sometimes do us the TTC and I have never seen a passenger harrass a TTC employee so that's crap.

Its not.
I've witnessed drivers assaulted, threatened with death, spat upon, accosted, etc. Mind you, I've seen some bad behaviour from TTC drivers & collectors (and yes, I have been on the receiving end of such). But I've watched many more examples of bad behaviour from my fellow TTC traveller. Not just against the employees themselves but with TTC property (vandalism, graffiti, littering, trespassing) & especially with other TTC patrons.
 photopilot1
Msg: 12
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 2:45:47 PM
Giambrone is an idiot. It's not only that he had multiple affairs, even at the "office", but also that he LIED about them when caught. Do we want or need city councilors that Lie?

Oh, did you hear that Giambrone now has a new slogan for the TTC.

Try The Couch.... Ride My Rocket!!!!
 julyn10
Msg: 13
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:12:01 PM
au contraire...we need to hold people in power to a higher standard than those who aren't....after all, if he will lie to his wife, or his girlfriend, then of course that speaks to his moral fortitude and standards...of course we need to care about the actions of our public figures
 dodger1
Msg: 14
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 5:29:51 PM

their drivers have easy jobs

apparently you have never driven a large vehicle in heavy traffic!

and you have to love when during a driver shift change (that should take a few minutes but ends up taking much, much longer) the 2 drivers have to have a personal conversation about families and nonsense like that when there is a bus full of passengers waiting.

By law the driver change could take a half hour.....that is if the driver taking over the bus were to do his half hour legal Pre trip on the bus ie: check brakes,steering components,suspension parts,fluid levels,and the list goes on!I'm not defending the driver here or picking on you honey.You don't know weather or not one driver is telling the other that a brake is out of adjustment or he feels a tire may be going down....then again maybe they are just shooting the breeze......like non of us have never kept anyone waiting in our lives.I know I'm guilty!
 Fred Astaire24
Msg: 15
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 5:34:08 PM
I drive most everywhere in the province but I do take the TTC when I am heading downtown. I find the TTC people very polite and helpful, possibly because I am polite when I get on. On New Year's Eve I made sure I thanked the bus driver for working and getting me home safe. I have seen the occasional rude operator but not that many.
As for the overall service, I think it could use a major tune-up, from management to scheduling to some front line workers. I think the TTC needs a more mature and experienced leader. How many of you remember the 1 day wildcat walkout a few years ago? It tied up the whole city and when Council tried to do something about it, the Union said 'no' or they would have another wildcat walkout. I think the union is to blame for some of the crap that goes on, as well as the management and some of the front line people.

An example of TTC operations: a friend's cousin was hired as a bus mechanic by the TTC several years ago. His first week was basic training, learning how the bus garage works, where everything was, test driving a bus, etc. His first job was repairing the brakes on a bus on a Monday. He had the job done in his 8 hour shift. His manager told him that the job was done too quickly and that he had until Wednesday to finish the bus. He was told to take the bus apart and check his work and complete the bus by Wednesday. He was expected to repair 2 buses a week. He could do 5. He had to learn to work slower or face the wrath of the union steward. He only lasted at the TTC a few months. He couldn't fight the attitude.

That is a situation that the TTC commissioner should have looked into as a complaint was sent but nothing was ever done. Giambrone is not a good commissioner. He seems to be in the position only for his personal gain, hence the run for mayor. Under his leadership, costs rose, service did not improve, the wildcat walkout, the current work environment, all fall back to the TTC Commissioner. I think he should resign.
 Frankybaby66
Msg: 16
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 7:51:44 PM
The negativity of this current TTC union bashing is not a result of respect being not be given or recieved. The true "enabler" of this hoopla is the current economic climate we are in, where many torontonians have experienced job loss, graduating students/new immigrants not finding work and who ever is left over struggling to get a minimum wage part-time jobs after their EI benefits have run out. Many torontonians who live slightly above or below the poverty line felt personally insulted to see their hard earned money that they drop in the farebox and municipal/provincial taxes they pay....was funding a TTC unionized employee self entitled right to be unprofessional whenever they damn felt like it and with no accountability.

Remember Lint Spotter the gotcha video of the bus driver who took a 7 min break, the uproar was never about the 7 minute break...it was the passenger who confronted the bus driver on the reason for not continuing the bus ride after his pee break and the driver verbally flippant and dismissive telling him to sit down and shut up and if he complained nothing would be done because the union has his back.

Imagine being a working poor torontonian struggling to put that 3 bucks in the fare box and simply asking a $60,000 a year bus driver/fare collector paid by your fares and taxes to be atleast professional for the money they earn. I am not talking about smiles and grins or saying please or thank you......just please stay awake and take the break you need at the time you need it and when a paying customer addresses you to explain your activity or "how your servicing them" please dispose your self entitled belligerence and remember the TTC is accountable to the taxpaying-fare paying riders who fund it everyday.

Like it or not it is about the money, if you had seen these gotcha videos 2 years ago nobody would have cared 2 cents about a sleeping fare collector on duty or a bus driver taking coffee break at 3am when he shouldnt have. With unemployment being low and good paying jobs keeping people happy nobody cared who got paid to snooze or sip coffee and read a newspaper.

Now that we are in a recession and unemployment is high, cost of living going up, municipal and provincial govts looking to take more taxes out of your pocket. People are suddenly experiencing epiphanies like never before of the percieved value they are not getting from their taxes and user fees. Its not about respect given or taken...its about the haves and the have nots during this economic crisis.

In short - who gave you the right to sleep for $29/hr on the job paid by my fare/taxes from my $10/hr job that I cant afford to lose from sleeping on mine.
 Paul.W_1967
Msg: 17
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:08:26 PM
I live in Pickering, so I frankly couldn't give an elephants big fat a** about it.

My question is WTF anyone would waste time bothering with having an opinion about a bunch a fraggin nutters to begin with ?

Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 18
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:53:51 PM
This just makes me a sad panda. Adam was a good candidate. He was stupid to resign his race just because some 20 year old attention grabbing college burnout saw her moment of fame.

The US dumped Clinton over a sex scandal and was rewarded with 8 years of Bush. Similarly, we now get Mafiosa insiders to pick from, real pro developer trailer park trash, like Smitherman.

What the hell does someone's sex life have to do with their ability to govern? NONE!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:34:40 AM

He had to learn to work slower or face the wrath of the union steward. He only lasted at the TTC a few months. He couldn't fight the attitude.
I'm always skeptical when someone relates a story of how they didn't stay at a position because they were too good for the job.

The true "enabler" of this hoopla is the current economic climate we are in, where many torontonians have experienced job loss, graduating students/new immigrants not finding work and who ever is left over struggling to get a minimum wage part-time jobs after their EI benefits have run out.
This isn't just a current issue... my experiences of the negative view of the TTC dates from 25 years ago to last year - people have a tendency to treat public servants as slaves rather than people.

Remember Lint Spotter the gotcha video of the bus driver who took a 7 min break, the uproar was never about the 7 minute break...it was the passenger who confronted the bus driver on the reason for not continuing the bus ride after his pee break and the driver verbally flippant and dismissive telling him to sit down and shut up and if he complained nothing would be done because the union has his back.
I watched the clip... it was barely visible or auditory. From what I saw, I can't blame the guy... nothing like being the victim of someone trying to grandstand.

If you have a link to a legible copy, it would be greatly appreciated.

In short - who gave you the right to sleep for $29/hr on the job paid by my fare/taxes from my $10/hr job that I cant afford to lose from sleeping on mine.
In short, who gave you the right to chastise them on their job... file a report, that's the appropriate chain of command.

Seriously... I work for a private company and when a client had a complaint and tried to chastise me, my boss did his job and stepped in as that's NOT the role of the client. The more you bytch at the employees, the less you're heard. Ultimately, it's not the TTC employee's fault that you can't get a better job...
 Paul.W_1967
Msg: 20
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/12/2010 4:42:27 AM
The way I see it, everyone in the TTC tapdancing competition, that's passengers, employees and the Chair of the TTC are all guilty of some fouls. Face it nobody's perfect, not me, not you people posting in here and certianly not the people involved with the TTC soap opera. Basically all three parties are at fault, let him who has not sinned cast the first stone !!!!

Thatguy67
Msg: 21
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:08:28 PM

Try The Couch

When a bus or train was running late, T.ake T.he C.ar was an old joke repeated.
 Frankybaby66
Msg: 22
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/13/2010 10:49:36 AM
"This isn't just a current issue... my experiences of the negative view of the TTC dates from 25 years ago to last year - people have a tendency to treat public servants as slaves rather than people."

You think so...... don't remember anyone enslaving a Toronto cop, parademic or firefigher.....and they are public servants too.... but if you look at the official complaints the TTC recieved in the last 3 years..you have noticed they have increased not decreased...why is negative view growing consistently there... why after 25 years did old "Bobby" decide now to hold a town hall meeting to "soothe" the tensions with the general public.

"I watched the clip... it was barely visible or auditory. From what I saw, I can't blame the guy... nothing like being the victim of someone trying to grandstand."

Yeah right...if you can barely hear the clip...try turning up the volume dial on your PC speakers...it should be clearer.... I give the passenger all due credit for standing up to the driver for the service he had paid when he stepped on bus. The driver made sure the passenger paid their fare, now the passenger is entitled to service...
If this concept is grandstanding....then I hope it catches on.

"In short, who gave you the right to chastise them on their job... file a report, that's the appropriate chain of command."

-file a report huh? the fare/tax paying public has been filing reports for years...and in the last two years those reports went up 15% People are sick and tired of filing reports that get deflected by the union when its time to discipline the TCC employee.... these gotcha video's did more in 4 weeks than than those "reports" of yours did in 25 years. Now old "Bobby" wants to hold town hall meeting to tell us "their side of the story" on why fare collectors are sleeping on your fare/taxes. Funny how imperial digital evidence has made the ATU 113 so humble to the public.... I remember not to long ago a TTC wild cat strike at 11:15pm at night leaving many women and young teens stranded throughout toronto with no way of getting home. I vaguely remember any "humbleness" from the ATU 113....old "Bobby" justified his unwarned wildcat strike as "protecting" his membership..not one word in his speech referred to an apology to the toronto citizens...we only got soundbytes from line drivers telling us "they were sorry but we didnt want this wildcat strike"... but I guess chickens have come home to roost and the ATU 113 realized now payback (from the public) is a bytch.

"Ultimately, it's not the TTC employee's fault that you can't get a better job..."

Again another arrogant, insensitive and disconnected view of the TTC employee.... nobody is asking a TTC employee to get/find/acquire a better job for me. I am asking the TTC employee to have respect for the money I pay both in fare/taxes that come from my low paying job that I have due circumstances or market conditions.
 paulmag
Msg: 23
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/13/2010 12:49:22 PM
I think Mr Giambrone should take a break from both positions and get his act together.
With respect to his affair..its not necessarily the affair its that when asked he denied it. So that makes him a liar..Not good when your a person in goverment..Yes it fits the norm with a lot of our politicians today none the less he lied..The best approach should have been the Letterman way..get it out there and move on..I wouldnt write the guy off ,he made a mistake..God knows we have all screwed up..but he realy needs to take a break..
Regarding the TTC, I think for the most part they do a pretty good job..Like any large employer, you do you have your slackers and nasty employees but they have an internal system to deal with that..So they need to vamp that up.
In saying so ,I dont think the public has any right taking pictures of the TTC employees..unless they are seen breaking the law or endangering public safety..I wouldnt want any one taking pictures of me at work..I think that is nic picking and flagrant harrassment..So every one should chill out, leave the TTC guys alone....
 davey1208
Msg: 24
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:43:26 PM
Reading many of these posts, I have to say that you people amaze me. If I witnessed a passenger assaulting or threatening a bus driver, I have the weapon of choice in my hands... it's called a cell phone. A 911 call, and the person in question is arrested. You people who claim to witness this garbage all the time, what have you done about it? probably nothing. Just like certain high crime areas in Toronto where there's a shooting, dozens of witnesses, but nobody comes forward.

As for the drivers and TTC workers themselves, everytime they go on strike it's always about wages, I don't care what they say different. If their safety is of REAL concern, then that should come priority before money in my opinion. But everytime the union or the city offers more money, they will always take it before improving the system. They are just to blame.

The city of Toronto deserves everything it gets. Toronto is the only major city on the entire planet that does NOT have a rail link to its major airport. Many other major cities invest in improving their public transit systems year after year, and they don't stop building subway stations after 1970 for a few decades.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The TTC & Adam Giambrone
Posted: 2/14/2010 5:20:16 AM
........... I have to say that you people amaze me..........You people who claim to witness this garbage all the time, what have you done about it? probably nothing.

Au contraire....I've been involved several times. Notifying TTC security, the cops or other TTC personal. Gave statements and descriptions etc.

Still amazed?......
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > The TTC & Adam Giambrone