Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > What is your take on Mental Health?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 imaranga
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What is your take on Mental Health?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Just interested in other people's opinions in mental health issues eg: schizophrenia, depressaion, bi-polar etc.... Do you think that these conditions are real or not and would anyone consider a relationship with a person who had been diagnosed with any such mental health condition?
 Eldrida
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What is your take on Mental Health?
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:29:20 AM
Yes, they're real. Unless you are a scientologist. We've known for ages how chemicals control brain function and things like moods/sensory perceptions. With some people, they get too much of one chemical, or not enough of another, and things like that.

Having been diagnosed (and successfully treated) for depression, I'd date someone with a depressive disorder- IF they were taking the appropriate medically-recommended treatment religiously and were making serious efforts to overcome their problem.

Schizophrenics? To be honest and at the risk of sounding judgmental, I wouldn't date a known schizophrenic. Various reasons, including the fact that too many schizophrenics don't take their medication properly (take it, feel better, stop taking it, slide back down without realising it) and depending on how their schizophrenia manifests, they can be quite dangerous.

Story time: this happened ten-ish years back. A man known to my aunt and uncle, and who lived two streets away and who was a known schizophrenic, had been involuntarily committed during a bad period. His mother and sister pitched a massive battle to get him out of commital and into their care at the family home.

The night they brought him into the house, he strangled both of them to death.

Several years later he killed himself in a psych ward.

I realise not all schizophrenics harm people, but it's not a risk I'm happy taking. Moreover, even "harmless" schizophrenics would require a lot of... well, for want of a better expression, the person dating a schizophrenic would require skills I pretty much don't have.
 sabscales
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:43:38 AM
I was on and off with a wonderful man suffering with depression for 2 yrs... Lucky for me I was in a good stage of my life where I could handle his ups and down. I believe he's been diagnosed wrongly and he's acutally bipolar but.. apparently I'm wrong . Regardless.. before I go off topic... I think your right, medication is necessery and should be taken religiously.
Being in a relationship like that was probably the hardest thing i've ever done because no matter what your going through... they are worst and you have to keep positive for the both of you.
The relationship ended because I could no longer take the we're on we're off .. needless to add that the medication has some serious contraindication to the libido of the person taking it.
We still are the best of friends and we speak almost every day (I think mostly because he needs my support and because I feel guilty letting him down).
Would I do it again... not if I have a choice.. why? becaue we're all allowed to be selfish sometimes I guess :-)
 imaranga
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:44:38 AM
Thanks Eldrida.

I have a mental health issue, I did not choose it, it chose me. I have always wondered whether I should spill the beans or not. It seems to be a bit of a double edged sword. I have generally found that people are very quick to judge without realising the true facts........
 sabscales
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:46:22 AM
forgot to add.... Are mental health issues real? OMG YESSS!!! it's the most real thing I've seen and been through in my life.
 Beachippy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 4:06:56 AM
to quote Billy Thorpe,, " most people I know think that I'm crazeeeee"
that doesn't make me crazy.... most of the time I think they are the crazy ones....

my best friend..sigh.. had to leave here and go back to the city to care for her fading mother.. and "skitso" 50 yr old brother... he's out there.. and has been since school days...

it's been tough for her being the "good daughter".. she basically hates every day... and it's been going on for far too long... her mum is comatose in care atm.. so she's tending to the bro... he can't be trusted to use the stove.... and has a one volume voice, LOUD, and has been a "born again" for most of his life... jesus this and jesus that....

I fear for HER mental health dealing with "the family "... sigh...
 imaranga
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 4:12:26 AM
We can live a "NORMAL" life though. I personally did not choose this illness and so I believe, it can happen to anyone rgardless of status, color or creed. I would not wish it upon anyone but it is my lot in life and I have to deal with it. It took me a good few years to accept and I just wonder if there is any hope for me in the relationship stakes.
 pinkpandora
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/12/2010 6:49:27 AM
Yes, they are real.

Would I date someone with one, no. I wouldn't. I'm not mentally, emotionally or physically strong enough to deal with the issues that go with them. My ex had depression, and no, I could never go there again. I get too emotionally connected to people and I can't go on that emotional roller coaster again with someone. I just can't do that. I can't and wont have that drama in mine (or my daughters) life.
 Rob_SA
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/12/2010 6:56:51 AM
I think in some cases grief can be confused for depression. Having said that, it can't hurt to get a professional opinion just to be sure, and I'm not talking about a chat with a friend who did a semester of psych as part of their social sciences degree... let's talk with at least someone with a medical degree.

As for personality disorders... Christians who have two way conversations with God scare the crap out of me, but society accepts their delusion as a version of normal, and worse still the new wave god-botherers see it as a cause for celebration.
 myforumsite
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/12/2010 7:17:08 AM

Are they real ..I am sure schizophrenia is...But the other stuff I think is mostly personality disorders.

Unfortunately most of the medical profession don’t agree with you and seem to think that the others such as bipolar, clinical depression etc are biochemical disorders and are real. That must be really annoying huh? So you ‘think’ the others don’t exist. I am sure you would be willing to share your reasons with the rest of us. We are all ears.

People who really suffer is not the person with the disorder .Its the people who have to put up with the crap.

We all have ups and downs!

Yeah we all do. Luckily though for those of us who don’t have a mental illness it’s something we get over in the short term – usually a day or two. However, for those with clinical depression it’s a very serious illness. Life threatening in fact. Truly. One of the reasons it is so dangerous is that the sufferers who so desperately need help often don’t seek it partly due to the ignorance of those that don’t acknowledge that it is a physical condition that like any other requires medical intervention to resolve. In other words, the social stigma attached to these illness’s can, and does, prevent many seeking help, which unfortunately can and does result in their deaths.

But heck, we all have our ups and downs right!

Good luck...Get a Spiritual program is the best advice I can give to any mental disorders...

Give me a break.

OP – there is no doubt these conditions are real but as to whether or not I would consider a relationship with someone with a mental illness? Yes, but a reserved yes. It would depend on the condition and whether or not the person had acknowledged their problem and was being treated.
 Prakticle
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/12/2010 1:04:48 PM

Good luck...Get a Spiritual program is the best advice I can give to any mental disorders...

I think that there is some merit in the concept that having the large support base created by an organised spiritual programme can help a certain cross section of the population with a tendency toward these illnesses (note the affirmation that I believe that they are very real). A lot of these orgs even offer counselling services.

Unless you are catholic then you are just a sinner, confess your sins to the guy behind the sliding door and take your punishment, and should flay yourself and say hail Mary's and do penance until your demons are gone. Then you get to come back and do it all again next week!.....nothing like affirmation to in bed your psychosis

Back on topic

Paranoia, Schizophrenia, Manic Depression, Post Natal depression etc are hardest to spot when you are the sufferer, it is a true friends responsibility to ask the sufferer if they are think that they may need help.

Would I date another person with Issues? depends whether it was under control or "pre eruption volcanic"
 imaranga
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 7:07:41 PM
So glad that I have a strong support network, wouldn't need people like DowntownGeorge in it. Although I would agree that there are people who use their condition to their own advantage or as an excuse for bad behaviour.
I was diagnosed in 2003 as having bi-polar, it has taken me a long time to come to terms with it but I have always followed the advice and reccomendation of my psychiatrist.
Looking back on my family history, it would appear that my Father was probably bi-polar also. My biggest fear is that if it is an inherited condition, one or more of my children may have it. I can remember even as an adolescent I used to have "highs" and some of my peers wrongly assumed that I was on drugs etc.
I also wholeheartedly agree with Prakticle that for the sufferer, it is sometimes very hard to recognise symptoms, including and especially the mania, as when it manifests you feel like you are indestructible and in control, when clearly to others you are not.
I am bi-polar type II, so am lucky in the respect that I have not ever had a psychotic or delusional episode.
By the way George, do you honestly think that we enjoy the condition? I know that I don't and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
 Island home
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 7:15:33 PM

Are they real ..I am sure schizophrenia is...But the other stuff I think is mostly personality disorders.

Ummm I think personality disorders are real.
How ever I suspect what you label as such, is not what a professional would
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:06:46 AM
OP if you've been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder then why on earth are you asking people if mental illness is real or not???

Some people will date someone who has a mental illness but from what I've seen men have a harder time understanding and accepting it. Unless of course they have been through something similar themselves.

imaranga
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:10:44 AM
I am asking what other people's opinions are, that's all. I have just found so much prejudice regarding mental health issues. To some people, anyone with any sort of mental health problem should be deported to some isolated area where they will no longer be a danger to society. Honestly, a lot of people tend to think mental illness = psycopath. I know it is real, I live it.
 Island home
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 1:34:19 PM
I would consider dating a nymphomaniac but I don't think it would be a long term relationship.

Seriously, we are more than one aspect of our personality, so it would depend on what the rest of a person consisted of, on that I would base any decision
 Prakticle
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/13/2010 2:25:46 PM
^^^^^ Ive dated a few women that could probably use a chat with a qualified person, if they would open up and actually talk........

Im sure women here have met men that could also benefit from a few sessions...
 dont need one
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/13/2010 3:17:31 PM
Ive dated a few women that could probably use a chat with a qualified person

MENtal isssues, MENstruation, MENopause...... why do womens problems always start with MEN!!!!!
 greyingred
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 2:22:44 AM
Tim Minchin said something recently that had me roflmao. He said with the modern way of thinking it is likely that prophets and Jesus would be medicated for schizophrenia. Another brilliant academic who for once is also a superb speechmaker pointed out that a girl who couldn't sit still in class and though not disruptive gave the teacher cause for concern would nowadays be given ritalin...her bright doctor suggested to her mother that she put her in dancing.....she is the choreographer of Cats amongst many others. So what is normal, what is an imbalance, since medicine by it's very nature has to conclude in mean averages then everyone has hormonal imbalances.

BPII......Oscar Wilde, Richard Dreyfus. Steven Fry, Andrew Denton, Sinead O'Conner (whoops nope she is BPI)....laffed me head off once cos according to the medical book I have a sleeping disorder..ie very sluggish in the morning, typically getting going by mid afternoon, at my most awake from 7pm onwards and most creative after midnight to about 3pm,,,,this is a sleeping disorder...with a footnote...often found in artists, actors and authors....WELL GO FIGURE....makes sense to me. Genetic selection over the centuries would enhance the favourable characteristics that make the performer at their peak when everyone else is tired and wants entertainment.

Yes these mental health issues are real and when out of whack a danger to all around..however we look at the OCD, workaholic who is always on the ball and earns squillions as highly functioning and to admired and aspired to....IDIOTS the person is a complete nutter...and thank god for it cos I wouldn't want to do what they do and someone has to.

Have a funny neuro linguistic programmer friend who pointed out that with a brother with BP that I was possibly Tri Polar Not Hard Enough....have a full psychological report that says I am normal and just struggling with life's curve balls....and advice from my hyper intelligent over acheiving OCD father...always diagnose your psychiatrist's illness to make sure it is compatable with yours.
 bluejaybella
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/14/2010 2:59:30 AM
My son’s paediatrician gave me an explanation. That nuro deceases and order are difficult to diagnosed even today. We do not understand all there is to it.

That’s why now autism has so many different levels and why so many disorders are misdiagnosed. I now know many in my group on facebook that date and marry others with many mental disabilities and this is what its called.

Physical disabilities we except a lot easier and having my son has made me realize people are no so excepting of others with these disorders.

Whether I would date some one with physical or mental disabilities, I can and have. One of them was Alby Mangles film editor. (ps not trying to drop names, notice I didn’t say his name…lol)
 Naamah
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/14/2010 6:25:15 AM

I just wonder if there is any hope for me in the relationship stakes

I'm sure there is OP, given that you are attractive and can hold your own in a discussion and no doubt have many good qualities that I could list if I knew you. I don't know you, but I notice that on the one hand you say you can lead a "normal life", but you also say several times "I would not wish it upon anyone "...so if you're saying that, then realistically, it can't be good. And... you wouldn't wish it on anyone and yet anyone who dates you will have to basically take it on, and live it with you. So whilst you say you didn't choose it, and wouldn't choose it…you are basically hoping that they will. Given that it doesn't have to be "their lot in life" as you say it is yours, many might choose not to want to deal with it. That doesn't mean they think you should be deported to an island...it just means they don't want to date you. After all, it's not their fault you have bi-polar any more than it is yours, and they are entitled to make relationship choices for their own life as they see fit, without condemnation, just as you are. And I personally do think you should tell any dating prospects.

Lucky for me I was in a good stage of my life where I could handle his ups and down.
But would you say it was your ideal to spend your happy days in the company of someone who is always depressed? Dating is meant to be fun, not a chore. Being sympathetic and compassionate towards a person because they suffer ongoing depression is one thing, but dating them is whole other kettle of fish. And when I see comments like these snippets...

The night they brought him into the house, he strangled both of them to death.

Being in a relationship like that was probably the hardest thing i've ever done because no matter what your going through... they are worst

he can't be trusted to use the stove

As for entering a relationship with someone who has mental health issues, I myself wouldn't being bipolar already. Simply because if I were to stop doing so well it could trigger the other persons illness

My ex had depression, and no, I could never go there again.

for those with clinical depression it’s a very serious illness. Life threatening in fact

"pre eruption volcanic"

the mania

not ever had a psychotic or delusional episode

...well combined with experiences of friends that I have witnessed, it just makes it very clear to me that I wouldn't go knowingly into a situation of dating someone who is a ticking time bomb or where I'd be expected to be the one always being leaned on. Not equitable enough for my tastes. I don't particularly strive to be someone's keeper/carer/nurse/mother, and I don't want a life of dramas. So no, I wouldn't choose to date someone with a mental health issue. I could probably handle it, but I simply don't want to. I can be sympathetic, understanding, and compassionate towards people with mental health issues, without feeling like I have to apologise for, or make myself out to be 'incapable' as some kind of excuse for, not wanting to date someone with one.

If I was already in a relationship with someone who later developed such an issue, then that is different and I would try my best to stand by them... same as I did when my husband ended up with a physical illness, until death did us part. Although if a partner was violent that would definitely be a deal breaker.
 Island home
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 12:46:03 PM
Prakticle
<div class="quote">^^^^^ Ive dated a few women that could probably use a chat with a qualified person, if they would open up and actually talk........
Im sure women here have met men that could also benefit from a few sessions..

Just to clarify in case you think I am qualified all I am qualified at is being an ex factory worker with a bad back and an interest in humanity.
I do know enough that if any one has a problem it is worth finding the right person that is qualified to help them. If your first choice isn't satisfactory keep looking.
I found cognitive psychology to be the missing link to my understanding of how we tick. How ever one size doesn't fit all.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/14/2010 4:06:08 PM
^^^Interesting. I tried cognitive psychology at one point and I didn't feel it helped.
 Island home
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 4:23:24 PM
^^ Did you identify any of you wrong (unhelpful) thinking?
If you did , did you come up with alternative thoughts?
Did you use a therapist or a book?
Did you find a solution elsewhere?
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/14/2010 4:26:26 PM
I was seeing a psychologist at the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > What is your take on Mental Health?