Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Women in Science and Philosophy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheCardiak
Msg: 1
Women in Science and PhilosophyPage 1 of 1    
I couldn't help but notice that the science/philosophy forums have just about no women posting. Do you women(who aren't scientists) ever find yourself getting interested in talking about science or philosophy or does this level of thinking just bore you? I'd just really like to hear a female perspective on this topic as to why there are so few women who are interested in these fields of work or at least interested enough to talk about them.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 2
Women in Science and Philosophy
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:33:42 AM
We like to stay here in the dating forums where the seriously messed up folks post their problems so we can feel better about ourselves.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:46:07 AM
^^^^+1 - True that, Alooo!
 tallsmilesforyou
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2010 10:18:02 AM
With all due respect, POF is the last place I am going to debate scientific or philosophical issuess. It's a free dating site.

Are you honestly surprised that the majority of the POF female demographic whose princess profiles consist of cleavage shots and "I'm not into drama and liars and a man better pay 'til we're married" thought processes are missing from the Science and Philosophy boards?
 brad29483
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/24/2010 10:32:35 AM
yep, I agree...

I stay in Ask a Girl, cuz all the questions are retardedly stupid, I did go in the Ask a Guy once, but I fell asleep reading the questions because they are 10 paragraphs of "What it could have been..." blah blah blah blah, it was painful.
 RushLuv
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/24/2010 10:34:57 AM
I love Science but I have no interest in discussing it on a public forum. No thanks.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/24/2010 11:10:44 AM
I didnt feel comfy there, I gave my opinion in a forum in philosophy and a bunch of degree'd types jumped on me, asking for credentials. Who needs it on what is supposed to be a fun, free dating site?
 Helen0426
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/24/2010 11:22:55 AM
The subjects are often fascinating, but those threads have a regrettable tendency to devolve into "who's alpha?" turf wars in pretty short order. And that is the exact and equal opposite of fascinating.

So, for me, anyway, it's more fun to talk about these things in person.
 cookie22222
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2010 11:55:35 AM
I go in and occasionally post when I have something to say. However - just like in the music/art forums, where I have occasionally posted something - or the sports forum - you are talking to an extent about more "tangible" things, which require a degree of knowledge. I read those forums, but very rarely post - because I don't necessarily have anything to add, due to either what I would have said being said 10 times already, or just ignorance of the subject at hand. The other forums, they are more life experience and opinion based, and I think that opens up the discussion to pretty much everyone.
 Summisse
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:45:26 PM
I agree...those threads do have a tendency to digress quite a bit. It does not seem to me that many who post in those areas have any interest in actually hearing another person's point of view...but they have a lot of interest in pontification...
 StatlerandWaldorf
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:47:25 PM
I check it out sometimes but I don't think I've ever posted there. It's not funny. There are some intelligent comments / commenters, but you have to wade through a lot of rambling and hot air to get to it.

does this level of thinking just bore you?

I think it's not so much the 'level of thinking' as the style of discourse.
 artist_48
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:49:02 PM
I'm quite intrigued by it all actually , and I've always had a lay interest. I've been going in and reading posts and grasping the spin on quantum physics, etc., and I love it. A lot of it is very subjective , i e, the post on spacial probability that I am giving thought to today. I've posted in S&P. My scientific background is in medicine and microbiology , with only one basic high school physics course, but I grasp the basic premises. I have an idea to introduce to that post btw- maybe look out for me and help me understand it. ;)
 SassySky
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:52:07 PM

We like to stay here in the dating forums where the seriously messed up folks post their problems so we can feel better about ourselves.

Dang took the words right out of my mouth

Seriously OP... When I want to talk philosophy and science I like to do that one on one. I find those forums as well as current events, politics get way to heated on what is right and what is wrong.

I want to share thoughts and ideas. I don't want to have to prove my thesis all over again.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/24/2010 1:04:35 PM
If I wanted men to argue with me I would have stayed in the car industry.

I want them for more interesting things.
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/24/2010 1:06:58 PM

does this level of thinking just bore you?

The reason that is funny, is because the truth is this:

those threads have a regrettable tendency to devolve into "who's alpha?" turf wars in pretty short order.

I prefer to have civil, intelligent debate when the topics are deep and meaningful. I don't see that much in the Science, philosophy, politics and religion forums.

So, those topics are reserved for people I know and respect, not for strangers needing to vent.

I don't mind strangers venting when they're just gender bashing and generalizing about emotions.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/24/2010 1:19:11 PM

I gave my opinion in a forum in philosophy and a bunch of degree'd types jumped on me, asking for credentials.

Are you kidding me?! Some people take these forums way tooooooo seriously. They need to take a chill pill.
 artist_48
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/24/2010 1:23:36 PM
PS- I watch the exchanges and interchanges in the posts, but I'm basically sitting on the sidelines with general thoughts to interject, I just dont know enough about specific subject matter, and find myself wanting to ask questions and then contribute. You ( guys) are in there to exchange thoughts, not teach. Thoughts?

EDIT: regarding 'alpha-stancing'- that's generally the way of men- not necessarily challenging each other, but challenging the thoughts and input in order to reach a general agreed conclusion, or to challenge enough thought to bring forth more ideas. Science & P. Tend to work that way, based on hypothesis and theorum.
 soft pout
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/24/2010 1:56:53 PM
Thinking: Might be interesting if we just 'invaded' their debating now with a question regarding why they don't come and see what 'Ask a guy/girl' have to think/say about Science & Philosophy forums?.....more often
 ForumPhantom
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2010 1:57:51 PM
Oh no OP - this "level of thinking" is just too much for we poor, simple wimmins to handle. Oh dearie me! *fans self* I can't handle the three syllable words!

Seriously OP - when I want to talk about philosophy or science or what have you, I talk to my co-workers. I don't count on the PoF forums for deep thinking, sorry. (This thread totally illustrates my last point...seriously op? Sheesh)
 ru4mor
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/24/2010 2:12:04 PM
I think the biggest take away from this post is that men should choose their words carefully when speaking to women. Men seem to focus on the point, women seem to get hung up on the delivery. Hows that for a little philo =P
 TheCardiak
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/24/2010 2:38:03 PM
Yes seriously, your point still doesn't answer why that forum is all men and no women. Nor why both those fields of work are heavily dominated by men. I guess I can see where women are just feigning interest because females are more heavily driven by emotion and they are finding it emotionally draining to debate these issues when there can be no real emotion invested (especially in philosophy, and for most of science).

The fact is that women avoid these two topics like the plague both in POF and out here in the real world which is why I'm here asking this question to women.Anyways, thanks for the answers.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Women in Science and Philosophy