Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.
     
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > PC vs MAC      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sexymissB
Joined: 8/22/2007
Msg: 1
view profile
History
PC vs MACPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I am a motion graphics and 3D animation student, switched from PC to MAC about a year ago...
Both operating systems do the same thing for the most part,as far as I know,anyone have an educated opinion on what you think is better...Curious to see the majority of thoughts on this.
I know this is a touchy subject...
 AppleGeek
Joined: 9/26/2006
Msg: 2
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:39:07 AM
Personally I think the reliably is worth the increase in price over something I could put together myself. Though my secondary computer a TiBook is getting long in the tooth.
 big pacific
Joined: 7/2/2009
Msg: 3
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/1/2010 10:26:15 AM
If you are into graphics and 3d animation? A mac.

Business? A PC.


It's all about personal preference after that...

But i won't pay 3 times as much for a mac, i'll just buy 3 pc's as they break.
 plaid_retina
Joined: 11/23/2009
Msg: 4
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/1/2010 9:06:37 PM
PC has a wider range of software and drivers and you can build them to your specifications for the tasks you do the most.
 Cheburashka
Joined: 7/19/2009
Msg: 5
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:16:23 AM
Mac has several good points.
Strong software, not as many titles as a PC, but what there is is very good.
Hardware, again not as much as there is for PC but what there is WILL WORK with your machine if it says it will.
The OS is based on a solid piece of work and while it isnt fool proof its a great piece of work.

A PC will always be more powerful than a Mac, because PCs get the newer hardware support before Macs, things like video cards, which are important for 3D modelling are best on the PC.
Software support is wider than on a Mac, same results as you get on a Mac, for less money
The days of Mac being the video/image editing king are over, a quick glance at the hardware and software is all the proof you will need.


I really enjoyed using OSX while I was using it, and only swapped to Windows when I realised I could get better performance out of Windows because of its hardware support...
 dannomite82
Joined: 1/13/2006
Msg: 6
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:02:54 AM
For gaming and business you're better off with a PC. You can still game on a Mac, but software support isn't always there (better than it used to be by far though).

If you don't know squat about computers, Macs are friendly.

If you're an enthusiast PC is the way to go (Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, Windows).

If you like to build desktops yourself, PC all the way.

If you're an average user, or a laptop user, it's personal preference.

If you're into graphics, it really doesn't matter, but a lot of people in the industry use Macs.
 DarkCrimson
Joined: 7/6/2009
Msg: 7
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/2/2010 3:12:35 PM

I am a motion graphics and 3D animation student, switched from PC to MAC about a year ago...
Both operating systems do the same thing for the most part,as far as I know,anyone have an educated opinion on what you think is better...Curious to see the majority of thoughts on this.
I know this is a touchy subject...

Find out what the Industry uses for their software and make your decision. For example; Blender3D runs on just about anything, but other applications you will need to learn may not.

Honestly, I can't see spending extra money to be locked down to an Apple platform. While the cult of Apple likes to slam PCs; all the hardware is made/built in China from the same manufacturers. You are paying extra for a name, and there are millions of PCs working out there every day getting the job done. Windows7 is a stable OS, and should run your applications without any problems. I will admit I am biased towards the PC. However, you should so your research before committing to a platform. Good luck.
 GoogleFreak1969
Joined: 2/24/2010
Msg: 8
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/3/2010 12:21:24 AM



Honestly, I can't see spending extra money to be locked down to an Apple platform. While the cult of Apple likes to slam PCs; all the hardware is made/built in China from the same manufacturers. You are paying extra for a name, and there are millions of PCs working out there every day getting the job done. Windows7 is a stable OS, and should run your applications without any problems. I will admit I am biased towards the PC. However, you should so your research before committing to a platform. Good luck.




See you don't look at the whole picture. Total cost of ownership. For a novice computer user who doesn't know what they are doing, pc can get expensive. It costs around $80 to reinstall windows. Getting rid of viruses and spyware doesn't come free either. The mac works everything out of the box. I want to voice chat or video chat? It works, I don't need to install drivers. The iphoto and imovie rocks big time. They put a lot of work and thinking into it. Windows just don't have that. Windows is great for gaming and business. If you're into photo or video editing macs are way to go. Also you need a mac to write apps for the iphone. If you know what you're doing and don't need apple software that's great. But if a type of person who needs to get computer fixed by someone else you're better off getting a mac.
I still do have my pc though to run linux.

Sure windows does have it's advantages, you need to use the right OS for the job. Remember most users don't have a clue about their computer when it doesn't work right they will be sending it to a shop.
 DarkCrimson
Joined: 7/6/2009
Msg: 9
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/3/2010 2:23:07 AM
^^^^^^
I don't see what writing phone applications has to do with the topic of 3D animation. Apple is not immune to malware. They were the first to fall in last year's cracking contest, went down in under a minute if I recall. That being said; I am not posting to this thread again because it will just degenerate into claims that Apple is better than everyone else, irrespective of the product.

sexymissB; don't use this thread as a guide, check what the industry uses to be the best prepared.
 GoogleFreak1969
Joined: 2/24/2010
Msg: 10
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/3/2010 3:09:30 AM

I don't see what writing phone applications has to do with the topic of 3D animation. Apple is not immune to malware. They were the first to fall in last year's cracking contest, went down in under a minute if I recall. That being said; I am not posting to this thread again because it will just degenerate into claims that Apple is better than everyone else, irrespective of the product.



Wow a Mac hater, you people make me laugh. I am just stating the benefits having a mac, obviously you don't get it. If you did your research the hack did previous research to hack the mac os x. He didn't all of a sudden hack the mac os x. He already knew what he had to do from many months of studying the Operating system. He could have done the same thing with windows. He could have spent months studying the OS to find weaknesses. I never claimed apple is better than windows, looks like you don't know how to read. I stated strengths in the mac os x and also windows. You do realize the mac is widely used 3D animation? Ever heard of Pixar? Obviously you have no clue what you're talking about. You're just a Mac hater. I don't even hate windows. I use a Mac because of the features and benefits.
 cooldude
Joined: 4/26/2004
Msg: 11
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/3/2010 6:31:38 AM

Honestly, I can't see spending extra money to be locked down to an Apple platform. While the cult of Apple likes to slam PCs; all the hardware is made/built in China from the same manufacturers. You are paying extra for a name, and there are millions of PCs working out there every day getting the job done. Windows7 is a stable OS, and should run your applications without any problems. I will admit I am biased towards the PC. However, you should so your research before committing to a platform. Good luck.


If someone is going to do serious production work with motion graphics and 3D animation, a cheaper $500.00 machine may not do what they want. Someone like that may want a high end workstation whether a mac or pc. Because any downtime can cost them money.
 Cheburashka
Joined: 7/19/2009
Msg: 12
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:29:05 AM
I think there are some more powerfuk video cards for the MacPro now (GTX 285) so it might be an option...

Still doesnt have SAS, SSD or i-RAM for scratch drives but you do have SATA II RAID option...

Best monitor for images or any work graphics has to be a Dell 2209WA, its not as big as the 24" on a Mac, but its e-IPS over s-IPS which gives a much better picture...
Ive got a couple myself and they are well worth the money, the colour reproduction really is top notch.
 cooldude
Joined: 4/26/2004
Msg: 13
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/3/2010 2:29:06 PM
They also have the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 for Mac but is high priced. I just put in a ATI HD 4870, which is good enough for my needs.
 dk06
Joined: 12/28/2009
Msg: 14
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:27:11 AM

I am a motion graphics and 3D animation student, switched from PC to MAC about a year ago...
Both operating systems do the same thing for the most part,as far as I know,anyone have an educated opinion on what you think is better...Curious to see the majority of thoughts on this.


I'd say go with a Mac if it's within your budget. My mom is a graphic designer/artist and she loves her Mac.

If you get a PC, you can't run Mac on it (b/c it's illegal to run mac software on anything besides mac hardware).

If you get a Mac, you can dual-boot with Windows(run both Mac & Windows but not at same time) or virtualize with Windows(run both Mac & Windows at same time) in other words, you can have the best of both OSes.

So with Mac Hardware, you're not limited in what software you can run on it...with PC, you're stuck with Windows and other Non-Mac OSes.

IMO, It's worth the extra bucks to have a solid, smooth-running OS that requires very little maintenance.
(Just avoid the iBook G4, it's a Lemon <--found out from personal experience)
 rickp247
Joined: 2/20/2010
Msg: 15
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/9/2010 3:11:00 PM
I've owned an iMac for 2 years, and its been great so far. I look forward to many years of solid service from my computer. My personal reasons for the iMac were OS stability, and ease of use.

If you want a nice platform, and super OS stability, the Mac is a good choice.
 Pasta_Lover
Joined: 5/12/2009
Msg: 16
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/10/2010 3:43:45 AM
> I know this is a touchy subject...
There's an understatement. ;-)

> Curious to see the majority of thoughts on this.
If you're looking for majority, I doubt there's any question. Windows enjoys a higher market share, so unless POF somehow attracts a disproportionate number of Mac users, the majority will be in favour of Windows.

DarkCrimson gave what is probably the best advice in terms of software...
> Find out what the Industry uses for their software and make your decision.

but dk06 properly observed:
> If you get a Mac, you can dual-boot with Windows(run both Mac & Windows but not at same time)
> or virtualize with Windows(run both Mac & Windows at same time) in other words, you can have
> the best of both OSes.

A couple of years ago (aeons in Internet time) a PC-focused magazine found that a Mac laptop was faster at running Windows natively (via Apple's "Boot Camp") than was any PC laptop. But dual-booting is a major pain; reportedly the virtualization solutions (Parallels or VMware Fusion) suffer only about a 5% performance penalty. For motion graphics, maybe that's significant; you'd have to try it to see.

I use both Mac and Windows daily, and have for decades. For my money, it's not even close; the Mac works with me, and Windows fights me. But everyone's style of working is different.

In general, particularly for non-students, I recommend the Mac for three main reasons: (1) less hassle in using the machine, (2) Apple offers an incredible value with their $99 "OneToOne" program (see apple.com/retail) for learning whatever YOU want to learn, and (3) if you need tech support, they can help.

Anecdotally, once my parents and sister switched from PC to Mac, all my support calls went away. Meanwhile, people at work have problems with their PCs just weeks after getting brand-spanking-new laptops (albeit with Vista).

You've used both; use what works best for you. But if you find yourself on Windows, do yourself a favour and avoid IE like the plague. That's certainly not the only attack vector for malware, but avoiding it will give you a fighting chance.
 J47_SW
Joined: 6/16/2007
Msg: 17
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/10/2010 2:54:31 PM
PC all the way.
You are not constrained to a DRM loaded, rigid OS platform (MacOSX).

The joy of a PC especially for 3D work is you have more than one software suite, and choice of API. If you go down the Windows Route you can use Hardware Rendering using OpenGL (which is also on the Mac), or Direct3D. The latest incarnation of Direct3D has some really cool features such as Tessellation. Raytracing is also coming to an Open Windows and Linux API soon.

If you go down the Linux Route, you can render using OpenGL and soon an Open Ray trace API. Linux's OpenGL support is much better than that on the Mac, it is less buggy and newer. (I think it uses 3.2 now, however I am a Windows user do not quote me on this).

As for hardware support, Linux and Windows have good hardware and driver support, I have a dual GPU nVidia card it is very good OpenGL and Direct3D applications as well as OpenCL and CUDA based computational operations.

Macs just do not offer the flexibility that PC's offer. Yes Macs are extremely good at the few specialist applications you can purchase for them, but they are not as easy or as friendly to upgrade. For example if I wanted to I could use another nVidia card (giving me 4 GPU's).

Macs are also over priced too.

My advice, stick with PC's that way you are not limited by what you can do, and you have a much more flexible upgrade path.

John
 TheKybrdcowboy
Joined: 5/12/2009
Msg: 18
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:46:40 PM
Both are equally good, it depends on your budget and software requirements.

There maybe some pieces of software that work better on a Mac or are only available on one platform.
 kechjo
Joined: 3/5/2010
Msg: 19
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:09:32 PM
I use Linux, personally. To say that it does the same thing as Windows is an extreme case of belittling. Linux is so flexible, reliable, and customizable that it puts Windows to shame. I mean, even Windows programs made with winelib work better than they do in Windows.
 AppleGeek
Joined: 9/26/2006
Msg: 20
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:19:13 PM
I just love the limited upgradability argument. Of all the people that upgrade their computer most of them are tech savvy and probably build their computer from parts. The other 85% of the population doesn't. For them arguments like graphics cards and linux are irrelevant because they're just going to replace the whole box in 4 years. As for the price argument go look up any number of articles comparing Apples prices to Dells (here's a hint, its all about feature parity).

If you want a computer someone whose technically illiterate can use and not need to maintain get a Mac. Otherwise you know enough to answer the question yourself.
 dannomite82
Joined: 1/13/2006
Msg: 21
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:38:21 PM
Of the supposed "85 percent" of users not literate enough in computers, are accustomed to PCs because of their workplace. This comes down to what the IT people and purchasing want to work with, and these people are tech savvy. Thus, indirectly, these arguments are valid. (With the exception of the graphics industry)
 AppleGeek
Joined: 9/26/2006
Msg: 22
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 1:34:57 PM
Businesses are worse. The accountants trump the IT people. They never upgrade a machine. They depreciate it and write it off. If you still have any of the original parts you can't write it off till you throw them all away. Customizable and flexible just means more problems for the users to make for the IT people. And thats a double loss, productivity and IT staff. The only time these arguments are valid when all the staff is tech savvy, like a software development company.
 dnimforetsam
Joined: 3/9/2010
Msg: 23
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 2:06:35 PM



Joined: 1/13/2006
Msg: 21
view profile
History

PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 1221 PM
Of the supposed "85 percent" of users not literate enough in computers, are accustomed to PCs because of their workplace.


LOL So what there's plenty of IT people that work with windows and then go home use linux or BSD. They only use it because work requires them to use it.
There's plenty of IT people that will buy their family members a mac so they don't have to give AS MUCH tech support.
 subtlecaffeine
Joined: 5/23/2007
Msg: 24
view profile
History
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 2:33:08 PM
I may have mentioned this before...but i'll refresh.

I don't exactly hate macs as much as I hate the kind of corporation Apple has become. The seemed more focused on making money, doing innovative stuff that's difficult to understand and making pretty looking computers.

Back in the day when Mac's were Motorola 68k or PowerPC based...I thought they were technically better machines...to a degree. They used to be the All SCSI easy to use OS...and I'll admit I enjoyed playing around on things like Mac OS 8.x looooong ago.

But really, my complaint is about cost. I went laptop hunting back in Janurary. I looked at Apple naturally...becuase they're running Intel now...essentially the same platform as PC's...so I *COULD* run windows on it (and I know people have)....but..my gosh. They had 1....only 1 model in my price range...some 13.3" Macbook with a 2.26ghz C2D, 2gb ram, and amazingly it did have a Geforce 9400M GPU...but it had a max of 256MB of shared memory. I don't know about you, but i hate the fact that I have to shave a chunk off system ram off for video. Performance drops, you naturally lose that ram to the OS. I mean, for close to $999, it was OBVIOUS I was paying for a name, and I see absolutely NOTHING that name offers me. A flashy unix-based OS? I can run FBSD if I really want a unix-based OS. Flashy? I think Win7 is just as flashy and Gnome with Compiz is even flashier. Where's the value? Where's the incentive....where is that dohickiy that makes this thing worth close to a grand? The iLife suite? Seriously...I've already got software that serves ALL of those functions just fine. Some I paid for...most are freeware/FOSS...so why should I have to shell out extra money (which is what everyone tells me justifies the price increase) for software that I don't even need...nor do I even want...I should probably mention I've seriously never understood or liked the UI that apple chooses to use....and the MacBook Pro? I'm sorry...i'm used to tapping a trackpad to click, not pushing it down...that breaks everything I know about using a laptop.

The reason I go off on them like that is comparing it to the laptop I did get. I picked up an Asus. It's got a 2.53ghz C2D (P8700), *6GB* ram, 1gb GeForce GTX260M which is a *DEDICATED* chip with *DEDICATED* memory.. 500gig HDD, b/g/n wifi, dual-layer burner, and a stunning 17.3" LCD. It retails for the SAME amount as that Macbook, $999. It's obviously MUCH more laptop than the Macbook (it looks like it'd eat the macbook)...but the real kicker here is the fact that the best deal they could do on the Macbook was take $100 off it...after I stood there 20 minutes listening to this guy and saying "no, it's out of my budget". That Asus.....it was $200 off....instantly, no special requirements...no begging...it was "I want that" "ok, it's $200 off".

But really, what angers me is how Apple...and most of the users, seem a bit stuck-up in thinking they've got "the best". Not all of them are like that...but it seems every Mac user I come across spends more time talking about how their computer is "better" than mine....I mean I like talking technology too..but blindly saying your computer is better because it cost more and has a piece of fruit on it really isn't all that intelligent.

I don't know...you have a point..the people who know computers don't ask that and the ones that don't buy a Mac...but I just can't stand the "holier than thou" attitude.

Anyway...that's where I'm at on it.
 dnimforetsam
Joined: 3/9/2010
Msg: 25
PC vs MAC
Posted: 3/12/2010 3:10:28 PM
LOL
People get mad when Mac is mentioned. All I have to say is I have a Mac and windows users get upset and bash me. I never told them Mac is cool or it's the latest or greatest. Windows users have a hate for Mac users no matter what the reason. I use a Mac because it work. Not because it looks cool, or makes you look rich or whatever. I don't like to be treated as a criminal which Microsoft clearly does. Activation is clearly a pain and when you have to call him they have to jump through hoops.
The day I moved to linux is when stupid Microsoft decided to slip on a firefox addon with windows update. We weren't told about it just slip it in and hope nobody notices. They lost my trust so to linux I went. Eventually I bought a Mac because I was watching video streaming. The broadcaster used Mac, the stream box was Linux. In the end I saw how easy and pain free it was to use.
Who are you kidding? Microsoft isn't after money? Please! The province of British Columbia is suing Microsoft because people were forced to pay the Microsoft licence even if they didn't plan on using the operating system!

Have you ever used a Mac? Go to an Apple store and give it try. Then if you say Mac sucks at least I can take you more seriously.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > PC vs MAC