Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Finger and hand strengh      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Finger and hand strenghPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Sadly I have reciently maxed out my lat pulldowns, dead lifts, and shrugs because my hands are not strong enough to hold the bar. Anyideas on how to improve finger strenght? All I can think of are wrist curles or a stress ball
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 2
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:25:09 AM
It is not so much Finger Strength as it is Grip Strength.

Wear gloves.

Any time you have the chance use a larger diameter handle or bar use it.

If you are doing something and there is a weakness that is preventing you from doing more of it the best solution may be to do more of it so you can get stronger.

So keep doing those lat pull downs, dead lifts, and shrugs as they are contributing to making your grip stronger.
 Scott3995
Msg: 3
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:15:06 PM
Gloves won't do much but prevent some callouses, go to http://www.prowriststraps.com/ and order yourself a nice set of straps and start lifting heavy again. You are welcome!

And before BP reports me, I am not in any way shape or form affiliated or sponsored by this company.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 4
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/4/2010 7:00:50 AM

Gloves won't do much but prevent some callouses, go to **** and order yourself a nice set of straps and start lifting heavy again.

Gloves will give your hands increased traction on the bar thus allowing you to hold on longer and over time increase your grip strength.

Straps may help you will lifts but will do nothing but make your grip weaker.

So if it is "grip" strength you are looking for, straps will not help.
 fishmuskie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/4/2010 8:53:27 AM
there are numerous ways to strengthen your grip ... some have already been mentioned

gloves will definitely help you hold the bar better to allow for greater weight.
stress ball, or the old squeeze springs will strengthen your grip, even something as simple as a tennis ball. but to get the best results with these i would suggest holding your "squeeze" for 2-3 seconds on each compression.
one that has not been mentioned - take a disc weight (15lb. would be a good starting weight) tie a 3-4' long rope to it, take the other end of the rope and feed it through a drilled hole in a 1' section of broom handle (or wooden dowel) and tie a knot on the end so it does not slip back through. holding your arms straight out, turn the handle with your hands until you wind the weight all the way up to the handle, then turning the other way let the weight back down. repeat until fatigued. then when this becomes easy move your disc weight up.

now on to fun/effective ways to improve the strength of your grip.
back in my football days we used to have contests to strenghten our grips - this requires you and another person. one holds one end of the football, and the other person holds the other end (neither one is allowed to use the laces). you then see whom can twist and pull the ball from the other persons hand. do this 10-15 times with each hand daily.

*the most effective way to strengthen your grip* - rock climbing. if you are not as fortunate as me to have a natural place to do this (always use ropes and safety harness) there are places that have indoor rock climbing walls. not only is this a great workout in itself, you will develop tremendous grip strength. but i know this is not a valid option for everyone.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/4/2010 9:02:19 AM
Agree with Frank here. If you are most focused on lifts alone, straps are fine. If you're concerned about grip strength, lose the straps, get some chalk and work on your grip specifically.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/4/2010 12:47:50 PM
OP,

Firstly, start using chalk on those exercises. Most of the time when you're getting close to the limits of grip strength, the moisture in your palms causes you to lose grip before your actual grip strength does. This should at least help your pulldown grip for a good while longer.

For shrugs and deadlifts, after your grip gives out even with chalk, use some wrist straps for those exercises. Work on grip strength seperately as a final exercise. Unless you plan on entering powerlifting competitions where wrist straps aren't allowed, there's no point in you not using wrist straps and slowing your progress down on deadlifts and shrugs.

As for improving grip strength for deadlifts and shrugs, the best way to do it for those exercises is in a similar way as the grip you'll be using in those exercises, that way the improvement in grip transfers over directly and completely. That means heavy barbell holds. As a final exercise, overload a barbell on supports at mid-thigh height in a squat rack with more weight than what you use on deadlifts or shrugs, chalk up, grab the bar off the supports, and just try to hold it for as long as it takes you to do a set. Repeat a couple more "sets". Increase weight progressively every workout. If you eventually find the weight too heavy on your shoulders because you pre-exhausted your traps with shrugs prior to this exercise, skip shrugs before this exercise. This exercise will function as your trap exercise also by just keeping your shoulder girdle at normal level.
 JWG86
Msg: 8
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:32:44 AM
Use straps, or strengthen your hands. Squeezing tennis-balls, or plunging your hand to the bottom of a bucket of rice are the old-school methods.

Also, use chalk. My handds get sweaty when I'm working out going heavy for reps. It makes it tough without chalk on 300#+ deadlifts and stuff like that. Also, I bench more when I use chalk. That energy spent gripping the bar is just wasted.
 IMskiier4384
Msg: 9
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:04:17 PM
Usually when I'm having difficulty gripping something, I find that I need to workout my forearms independently for a day. Do some forearm BB and DB wrist curls on a bench and combine that with your next leg day.
 arwen52
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/24/2010 8:53:12 PM
Your fingers are controlled by the muscles in your forearms. The other suggestions - gloves, etc., - will, as pointed out, help give you traction. All those suggestions will help maximize what you have to work with. But you need to work the forearms to increase actual strength.
 Sam4ever
Msg: 11
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/24/2010 9:25:43 PM
I use Chalk and that's it. I never use straps or gloves. If you want stronger grip then use chalk. I could probably deadlift 315 with no chalk but only like 5 times. Once i use chalk i can go up to 500 no problem.
 Buscadoro
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/25/2010 9:45:23 PM
You started by stating that you had maxed out on certain lifts because you can't hold on the bar. This suggests that you want to increase your ability to lift heavier in those exercises. If that is the case, then I agree that straps are good for you. You won't have to worry about concentrating on holding on, just performing the movement.

Sometimes the knurls on the bar can be uncomfortable and you are less willing hold on the bar for repetitions. So, if you have soft hands or don't have callouses, either gloves or straps will help you. Chalk may reduce moisture but if the problem is your hands it won't help.

If you want to work on your grip strength I would suggest just doing heavier sets on occasion with fewer repetitions to build strength. It seems this has been the key for me to build grip strength and forearms. I never use chalk anymore, and some gyms won't allow it anyway. I routinely do very heavy dead lifts, dips and pull ups. If it's a humid day, I just use straps.

Good luck
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 13
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/26/2010 3:01:21 PM

I use Chalk and that's it. I never use straps or gloves.

For some people, chalk is not an option.

The fitness club that I belong to does not allow it.

Although that said, it does not stop some people from using it.
 Jono_1986
Msg: 14
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/26/2010 6:23:40 PM
If we are talking deadlifts here buy a bar and get some weights and do it at home. Use chalk to your hearts content.

What is the point in paying someone to allow you to exercise if you can't even push your body while you are there.
 ONE2ENV
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/26/2010 6:25:26 PM
To increase your hand and finger strength fill a bucket full of sand and stick your hand in there.

Then try and open and close your hand as fast as possible making a fist over and over.

MMA fighters do this all the time.
 Kunik
Msg: 16
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/27/2010 11:35:56 AM
If you'd be interested in taking up another activity, rock climbing is excellent at developing finger strength.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 17
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 3/27/2010 4:56:12 PM
I like the sand idea and the rock climbing is excellent for finger and hand strength. With the sand you would be working both sides of the coin. Opening and closing.

Rock climbing is also a great date activity.

I have found that sailing helps me.

Holding onto a 3/8" line that is attached to a couple hundred square feet of sail only running through a ratchet block in 15+ knots of wind is great for your fingers and hands. Not to mention your arms, back, abs and pretty much any muscle that has to do with stabilizing your body. Gloves are pretty much mandatory here.
 Macarooney
Msg: 18
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 4/4/2010 9:05:36 PM
Maxing out on lat pulldowns huh.... have you tried weighted pull-ups? :)
 NYguitar77
Msg: 19
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 4/10/2010 12:30:26 PM
I would suggest getting a "Gripmaster" hand strengthener. I use it all the time when I'm not able to play for long periods of time. Guitarists might have little arms, but they can crush you like a soda can with their hands! I'd suggest getting the new one where you can adjust each finger individually.

Some other suggestions that have worked for me in the past are forearm curls and extensions, and just plain ol holding a weight (plate) for 30 seconds at a time. Increase the length of time and weight when it gets too easy. Trust me, your hands will be shaking after you try holding a 45lb plate for 5 minutes!
 kow626
Msg: 20
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 4/20/2010 6:41:26 PM
gloves help with grip and prevent callouses as mentioned. just buy an adjustable hand grip and use it regularly to build up your finger and hand strength. you'll feel that burn in your forearms but you'll notice more meat around your wrists and stronger hands overall in no time. i'm telling you this from experience.
 kasandroid
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 11/21/2010 2:33:50 PM
I just can't help myself.................

Daily sessions with the Palm Brothers?

MrFication
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 11/22/2010 8:32:17 PM
The sand method is great. I like to go dig for clams and dig with my hands for this purpose.....it really gives a good workout.
Rockclimbing too. I've had friends that do a lot of rockclimbing and the stuff they can do is pretty neat--like folding coins in half.
Another thing you can do is to pull a rope, or climb a rope. By pulling it you can put more weight than your body weight. A thick rope works better. Something that seems to work even better than rope is fishing net....that way you can work fingers differently. You can get old nets that are pretty long and fill them with rocks and pull from one end of your yard to the other with fingertips.
Some other things I like to do is get a board and just screw in large wood screws, and then back them out. Also try to loosen and tighten lug nuts with your hands....just tighten with a wrench when done.
 Truthisee
Msg: 23
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 11/25/2010 12:05:57 PM
one that has not been mentioned - take a disc weight (15lb. would be a good starting weight) tie a 3-4' long rope to it, take the other end of the rope and feed it through a drilled hole in a 1' section of broom handle (or wooden dowel) and tie a knot on the end so it does not slip back through. holding your arms straight out, turn the handle with your hands until you wind the weight all the way up to the handle, then turning the other way let the weight back down. repeat until fatigued. then when this becomes easy move your disc weight up.

there is nothing better, for beginners, to improve one's overall grip strength than this exercise, not to mention the wrist strength that comes with it.

I was shown this years ago by a former heavyweight canadian arm wrestling champion, it was one of only a couple exercises he did.

tho starting with 15lb. is a bit much, start with 5lb, and even at a few times a day you will be amazed at what it does for your grip.

billingsmason
Msg: 24
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 8/9/2012 11:47:05 AM
Hi... found this way back on the list and wanted to resurrect it, because it's a good topic.

finger/ hand strength is great, much needed and over looked.
buckets of sand... plunge and making fists inside is great
rope work is also good, both big lines and small challenge the grip

things I have found:
burn a hole in a tennis ball, thread large hair ties through.
squeeze the ball then extend your fingers (in the hair ties).
this works the back of your hands, and allows the palm to grow exponentially.

branding calves is probably the best hand workout ever. calves weigh in at 50-100 lbs... I like the buffalo calves
wade into the fray and grab a rear hoof.
pull the little bugger back out of the bunch, maybe 20-30 feet, all the while it is literally freaking out.
your partner gently sets it down, and then the process begins and ends fairly quickly.....

this is such a grip workout, my hands are sore for days. not to mention muscles I didn't remember having.
and for those who will scream cruelty.... it's where your beef comes from.
if looking to try it out- just contact your local rancher. branding help is always welcome and always a party.
 Jashor
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Finger and hand strengh
Posted: 8/9/2012 4:04:21 PM
Smile,

This link might be helpful

http://leehayward.com/blog/complete-forearm-workout/

He begins the blog with "grip and forearm training"

I fast forward through the part where he was showing off his car!

good luck
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Finger and hand strengh