Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ok guys (and girls) I need help valuing a Jeep please :)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 artist_48
Msg: 1
Ok guys (and girls) I need help valuing a Jeep please :)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm not good with the pc - tried googling this and I'm getting nowhere. If you post a link I can't use it btw....

I'm trying to get the value on a Jeep I'm looking at buying, and some basic info.

1998 TJ Wrangler
93k miles
body etc in good condition
it has a small lift kit, rag top
custom seats
33" tires
fog lamps
8k lb winch
what else do you need to know?

Thanks!
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ok guys (and girls) I need help valuing a Jeep please :)
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:52:32 PM
Try using places like autotrader for example.

Cowboy
 PrimeWoman
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:54:05 PM
google kelly blue book.
google used jeep wrangler for sale by owner.

That should give you some numbers to work with.
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 9:03:07 PM
best thing is a year membership with Kelly Blue Book to find out both wholesale and retail prices for any type of automobile, and ask for a carfax Show me the carfax please, just joking, most previous accidents would show for most vehicles, but 4 X 4's and work trucks need to be looked over by a trusted mechanic or one of the new look over services
 artist_48
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/15/2010 9:42:26 PM
Thanks wings. What are the new look over services? Meaning who is offering these who's reputable? Thanks!
 Revilors
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/15/2010 9:52:26 PM
besides kbb you can use nada as well. That is their url (along with the usual).

They both give you private party, trade and dealer resale values.

They can be different so you might want to look at them both. Shred the lesser of the two

Megaladonfishy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:00:23 PM
There might be a national one, I first heard of them by finding their broceures and cards at a car lot, basically they're just mechanics that have niched themselves into inspecting autos for potential buyers, you should be able to find one or several by looking in about any used car publication. The thing with 4 X 4's is people drive them until all the suspension , brakes, drivetrain, gears all need work so a good inspection of all that is really important
And understand if you don't have experience with these vehicles, they are nerve wracking to drive at high speeds, they're not the greatest highway vehicles.
 gitty--UP
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:25:57 PM
1998 TJ Wrangler
93k miles
body etc in good condition
it has a small lift kit, rag top
custom seats
33" tires
fog lamps
8k lb winch
what else do you need to know?

4 banger or inline makes a huge difference in price. ALong with if its H.O. rated or not.

Need to know hard top, soft top, bikini top, winch brand, tire brand and percent left, lift kit brand and size, body color, interior color, synthetic oil, regular oil, receipts, hitch, hitch class, ball size, half doors or full doors, any aftermarket engine performance crap like K&N, spacers etc etc etc

Has it been offroad, in mud holes, its easy to tell. Skid plate? transmission lowering kit? lockers? rips in tops? towing package? does everything work? what kind of fog lamps and how big are they? winch has remote? what kind of custom seats? Transmission cooler? Oil Cooler? AC? Alternator Amps? High Quality Battery or cheap good for nothing no name brand battery? Kill Switch? Stereo? Speakers? Amp? Subs? CB? Gear Ratio? FT or PT 4WD? Auto or Manual? Locking Hubs? Chromoly Shafts? Rims? Steel? Aluminum? Damaged Rims? Mud/Rock scraped rims? Leaks? How much leak? Shift on the fly 4WD? button or shift lever? cracked windshield? Alarm System? Line X interior? spark plug wire size? Is the suspension sagging? bushings need replacement? has the previous owner greased everything? Is there a maintenance report? Get it from them if they do, like from the stealership not their hand written notes

It just drives me nuts when there is not enough information in ads, it drives me insane when dealers do it, I just skip over their ads because they know better.

I have bought cars for $500 that looked like crap but ran perfect. You can sell a $100 car for $1000 if it looks good and has shiny rims on it. Carfax is crap, never use it. Just run the vin through the systems. Subscription to anything is not worth the cash, just go online and check out autotrader, bargain finder and all the other 100's of jeep forums around.

Here is the deal when buying anything used. Offer lower then what they are asking. I would first offer $2500.

Just so ya know, its real easy to roll back Jeep TJ mileage and those steering wheel lockers are not worth a dime, takes 1 minutes to cut steering wheel and push one back, pull one forward. Install a kill switch and alarm system as these things are easy to steal as well. Its easy to see if its been rolled back or not.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:26:52 PM
Depending on shape, I would guess $4000 - $6000. In really bad shape $500, and if it is near showroom condition maybe $7500 - $8500. .

You should have the Jeep put up on a hoist before you make any offers. Have the entire suspension properly checked (Jeeps are known for being abused), check the engine, check the frame and body, and make sure all of the electrical works (one thing not working usually means 10 things won't work in a month).

Don't bother with Carfax, it's a complete rip-off with the sole purpose of helping dealerships sell cars. Carfax can only report repairs that are reported to Carfax, they have no links to repair shops, tow companies or the police. And most dealerships will print out the Carfax report as soon as the car hits the lot, just in case a repair gets reported while the car is on the lot.
 artist_48
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:59:28 PM
Holy ****. you make me realize how little I know, and thanks for listing this all out.
Here's what I know and it's not much.
I'll have to go back and look at it....

4 banger soft top
winch- Ramsey Pro 0000 with remote
body colour red
interior colour tan
regular oil
full doors
fog lights are what I would call avg - medium sized
A/c yes
battery- can't remember the name but it takes heat and power like a marine battery works
stereo speakers cb
gears 4:10
manual with pt 4wd
chrome wheels not scratched
says it wasn't off roaded and doesn't appear to be
only leak I can find is the seal on the power steering seal and it's a slow leak

body is in very good condition
and interior as well

thanks
 Uomo_Universale
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:59:46 PM
Engine size and transmission type are essential in determining price.

Trim level, as well. (i.e. Sport or Sahara)

Is the lift kit a name brand, or a junkyard special?
 artist_48
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:03:08 PM
SuperRyan- thanks - there's a mechanic in the town east of me who drives and repairs jeeps and will give it a good once over

the guy selling it says he's changed the oil every 3k miles- I guess we'll see if he's maintained and treated it well.
 gitty--UP
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:10:04 PM
4 banger soft top
winch- Ramsey Pro 0000 with remote - low grade winch, warn is best
body colour red
interior colour tan
regular oil - good for older cars
full doors
fog lights are what I would call avg - medium sized
A/c yes
battery- can't remember the name but it takes heat and power like a marine battery
Optima is best **Does the heat work? AC work? turn it on and see**

works
stereo speakers cb
gears 4:10
manual with pt 4wd - put it in 4wd it should wake ya up if it works
chrome wheels not scratched
says it wasn't off roaded and doesn't appear to be
only leak I can find is the seal on the power steering seal and it's a slow leak
**What color of oil is leaking?**
Red = Trans
Black = Oil
Clear = Brake

Exhaust smoke is it white? or blue? or black?

and interior as well

are the belts in good shape?
there is many things you need to look at when buying a truck. Get a mechanic and $100 to look it over. The main thing is all the safety stuff.
 helpimstuck
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2010 7:07:18 AM
i driven tj with 4 cylinders and 33 and they are a trud... with the larger 33" tire and powered by 4 angry squirles.. the power loss is great... personally id stay away from that one.. if its got 33" tire on it is probally had the crap driven out of the motor to get those 33 to spin in the mud... but if you really like it.. take it to a garage for a inspection and you need to get a good look and the under side.. look for dents in the skid plates, marks on the diffs from rocks, and look for mud on the bottom side of the body.. also look under the seats and under the dash for a water marks or mud.. i not shure where you live but if you live in a area where it get below freezing you will freeze your butt off in the winter with out a hard top..
 gitty--UP
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2010 9:33:58 AM
33's break stuff easy, doesnt take much to tear up a u joint or snap a axle shaft, and when your in the bush needing a tow truck to come out, (J)ust (E)mpty (E)very (P)ocket
Always wheel with someone or a group. Wheel safe.

Hard Top is better then a soft top in winter thats for sure, as long as the heater works its just fine in the winter.

33 tires is the absolute limit for stock stuff, you have to baby it
you might want to consider an upgraded diff, and a locker. There are very cheap alternatives out there, $200 diff, welded, bolt on deal.
 Revilors
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/16/2010 12:45:03 PM

and interior as well

Ah.....are we still talkin' about the Jeep?

We may have new bidders
 artist_48
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/16/2010 1:41:10 PM

and interior as well

Ah.....are we still talkin' about the Jeep?

We may have new bidders

too cute ;)

still talking about the JEEP, but the world of pof will be glad to know that you value a woman who's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.
 artist_48
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/16/2010 1:42:41 PM

you might want to consider an upgraded diff, and a locker

BTW- thank you all for your feedback- I made a decision on the JEEP, thanks to all the help I've had.

What is a locker?
 bluesandrock
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/16/2010 1:57:38 PM

i driven tj with 4 cylinders and 33 and they are a trud.

Agreed. Even with stock tires the 4 cylinder TJs were extremely lacking in power. Pass on it and get one with the inline 6.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/16/2010 6:00:02 PM

What is a locker?

It's a type of differential that applies equal rotations to each wheel, when locked. This is good for getting out of the mud, but is bad for turning corners.
Two types, automatic lockers will lock up when there is an excessive difference between the two or four wheels spinning, otherwise they drive open like a normal differential; and a selectable locker that have a switch inside the vehicle that allows the driver to manually choose between open and locked.

Unless you plan to do some serious off-roading, you don't need it. And since this Jeep comes with a winch, you should be able to get out of most situations.
If you are planning to do some hardcore off-roading, look for a truck with a bigger engine.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2010 6:13:52 PM
another poster suggested Kelley Blue Book.

The site is:

www.kbb.com

you enter the type of car , wholesale, retail or private sale value, mileage, features, etc.

You can also find all classifeds for similar car in your area.

Good luck.
 PrimeWoman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2010 6:47:21 PM
Be aware of the (road) noise factor. This is a vehicle made for rugged activity not quiet and comfort.
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/16/2010 7:30:17 PM
Stay away from the 4 cyl jeeps. In your area if you are looking for a jeep at least go with one that has that 4.0L 6 Cyl That way it is not ALWAYS working at the max it is capable of....

I will put it in terms you should be able to understand. If your heart is constantly having to pump at its fastest and most strainious level it is going to wear out much quicker.

The 4.0L strait 6 engines are mules. I have seen one blow one of the rods out the side of the block and it stayed running on 5 cyl....

You are in TX. If you are out in the middle of knowhere wouldn't you rather have an engine under the hood that is not going to get as hot because

1. It is not working as hard due to having some good tourque.

2. The engine has extra mass to disipate any built up heat. (Think of a heat sink. The bigger the heatsink the cooler it is)

3. More power held back in reserve for when you might need it. Just because you have a bigger engine under the hood does not mean you have to use every bit of that power all the time but it comes in handy if you do end up needing it.

In response to those that said to look at the blue book or other book value places...

You can not use those numbers for any vehicle that has been modified or enhanced like this Jeep has been. they do not factor in all the extras which for off road equipment could cost more than the Jeep they are installed on which if I had to take a guess i would say is the case with that Jeep.

Someone like me might see it as a good deal if it was a bargin and the mods were in great shape and the price was lower than re-buying them You might get a good bargin by getting a different stock jeep with a 4.0L under the hood and putting all the off road parts from one onto the much better chassis.

Or of course just run it till it blows up and leaves you side the road then yank out the 4-cyl and drop in a bigger motor...

I am surprized others that do have some good knowledge about jeeps didnt ask you or i missed your answer... What is it you are wanting to do with the Jeep?

Depending on your answer a gutless 4 cyl might work fine but you likely will get better gas milliage with the 6cyl jeeps because you won't have to push the gas peddle all the way to the floor just to get up to speed...
 1 shaman
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/16/2010 10:41:45 PM
I love jeeps on my 2nd one now will do a full build up around $15,000 on this one. The 4 cylender sucks big time. The 4.0 H.O. is the best. Has strong parts. The 2.5 or what ever is? Weak parts so you pay in the long run. Think of it as biger is better and you might get your $$$ worth out of the deal! Dont go with the 4 banger they suck. I would bet the guy is giving it up no power! Save your money get a 4.0 . I think they came out in 89 in most modles. The used the rest down the road to get rid of them. Go to www.jpmagazine.com This is your best friend. And read about what your getting in to for your $$$ Save your $$$ READ please. Wish you the best. Let me know whats going. I'll be home for a few days the back up to the Northwest Territories Canada to work. I run 6 wheel drive rock trucks up there. I live out side Jasper Park Alberta. You need a good 4x4 up here. I'm in the bush all the time doing photography. Your only as good as your transportation thats your ass-set. Later
 renoirs_dream
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 2:46:38 AM
I have a 95 jeep. The thing wasn't even taken care of that great for the first 200,000 miles. It now has over 404,000 miles on it. Jeep Cherokee BTW... Also, the engine is original, no overhaul or anything major.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ok guys (and girls) I need help valuing a Jeep please :)