Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do some men hide their profile while actively looking?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 onechicwoman
Msg: 1
Why do some men hide their profile while actively looking?Page 1 of 1    
I have noticed that I seem to get emails from men who have their profile hidden. I can relate to not having a picture posted since I don't have one either but why hide a profile and still seem to actively search the site? I'm beginning to think most of these men may be married but wonder what others think?
 Cknugget1978
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do some men hide their profile while actively looking?
Posted: 3/17/2010 11:59:02 AM
They could be forum lurkers that your profile caught the eye of. Or it could be they just forgot to turn the profile back on after taking a hiatus from the site, I did that once and didn't spot my mistake for two days.

Some may be married but from the sounds of it there are married men on here that aren't hidden either so who knows.
 rainman12
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 12:02:07 PM
I hide my profile all the time. I actually just unhid it like 30 seconds before coming to the forums. Sometimes I like to take a break from having people message me, and just message the ones I'm interested in. Usually though I hide it because there's a few girls that I may be corresponding with and I just kinda want to see where those are going. If they don't look like they're going anywhere I'll unhide it....or keep it hidden and message who I want.
Posted: 3/17/2010 12:03:45 PM
could be they're tired of plowing through all the initial emails they get from women, and prefer to initiate contact only with those who catch their eye.
 dannomite82
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/17/2010 12:36:50 PM
Probably the same reasons as a woman would. He wants to pick and choose who he talks to.
 Chill Pill
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/17/2010 1:09:40 PM
One simple and easy solution maybe to ask these individuals why they hide their page.
There could be a different reason for each one. I don't think I have encountered it having been messaged here by many. If their page is hidden does that mean that even though they have messaged you, you can not read their profile? It seems to defeat the purpose of having one to begin with. I don't get how that works. How do you know the profile is hidden?
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/17/2010 1:42:01 PM
...I don't have one either but why hide a profile and still seem to actively search the site? I'm beginning to think most of these men may be married but wonder what others think?

There could be many reasons.

I know on the female side some have told me they do it because they prefer to take the lead and do not want people contacting them.

If their page is hidden does that mean that even though they have messaged you, you can not read their profile?

Nope, you can view their profile.

How do you know the profile is hidden?

Just do a user search and if you get zero results then profile is hidden.
 Thesumofallparts
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/17/2010 2:57:39 PM
When it's not hidden, I get emails from women I'm not attracted to or interested in.
I like to read profiles and compose a decent message, yet I find 90% of the messges I do get are one liners with mis spelled words that turn my stomach. Or, from women who clearly aren't getting any attention on here.
Yeah, that's a blunt answer but it's the truth. If I hide it, I can message women I'm interested in and get a 1/10 response rate. Works better than waiting for the girl of my dreams to message me!
 SassySky
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:06:56 PM
First of all how do you know they are hidden do you do a user search?
I know there are times I hide my profile for the heck of it.

I also go into stealth mode when I am perving profiles..Sorry guys yeah I perve everyonce in a while.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM

I'm beginning to think most of these men may be married but wonder what others think?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't think the same could be assumed of a profile without a photo? I don't really see the difference.
 tropicalfish09
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/17/2010 4:09:23 PM
Is there any reason why you wouldn't think the same could be assumed of a profile without a photo? I don't really see the difference.

^^^ These are exact types of women I wanna avoid! Hows not having immediate picture in profile indicate married? There are so many good reasons not posting pictures in profiles for the world to see and if you can easily ASS - U - ME like that then you're not serious about finding someone.
 Chill Pill
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/17/2010 4:22:25 PM
When I first signed on here a few years ago... I was approached by one who was DIVORCED . Had several appealing pictures. Was looking for dating . Was 37. Was from Worcester. Had a Masters Degree. Prefered not to say if he wanted children. Was in IT. Worked for a huge co.

Almost 5 months later I found out he was MARRIED, Was looking for FWB(s) to add to his harem. Was 43, was from another city entirely, Had a bachelors degree and he had a vasectomy. Was inbetween jobs! Had 2 children. He didn't even tell me his real name. Shame on ME!

I was already dancing the horizontal mambo with him and had already fallen for him hard. Almost 5 months later.

So the guy can have pictures, SHOW his profile, write whatever he wants and just be a cunning, manipulating, sleezy, scumbag LIAR.

In the five months I dated him there was only one clue that if I had known this system better I may have realized what a dawg he was. He kept deleting and changing his profile. Perhaps he had contacted to many looking for intimate encounters. Who knows. I dumped him and even though I played it safe went straight to the Doctor. I was unscathed by this man with all good test results. Thank God. There are angels looking out for me.

I learned my lesson the hard way. Now I want to meet his family, see where he lives, meet his friends, and see his drivers licence... before I sleep with him, even if it takes 5 months to do that. I don't even read the profiles anymore. They can write what ever they think they can get away with. I let them approach me and see if they are sincere, honest, open and gentleman. I read between the lines and I ASK questions.

I think I'm ruined for online dating. Sometimes they don't hide their profile but they HIDE a lot in it. Do your homework. If something doesn't feel right then maybe something is not right. Investigate and remember you are meeting a STRANGER.

Some strangers are stranger than others. This one was very strange and did a lot of damage. If he hides his profile ASK him why. If his answer is c*ckamammy bull chit sounding he probably is a LIAR. He maybe married and or he maybe has a harem of online woman that he tells all the same lies too. I was new at this, so I have forgiven myself for being so trusting and niave. If someone doesn't want to invest the time with me to build a comfort level and realize that he is who he says he is. I don't even bother with them. NEXT!

Now he has a profile here looking for "hang out", He is 40, Has children. Living in yet another city, is just looking for fun, is self employed
is SINGLE, and has a Graduates degree. LOL. Still LYING. I hope someday someone tells his WIFE. It won't be me. Poor woman.

Pathetic and sorry to say men like him ruin it for sincere, honest, gentleman that are in search of real relaionships. Online dating is backward enough with out skeething snakes and liars.

Be careful... He has a new user name now which doesn't suit him well. I think it should be FARKEN LIAR.
 monkeymarsh
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/17/2010 4:28:20 PM
I had a guy message me when his profile was hidden, we messaged a fair few times, I asked if he fancied a drink sometime, 4 days later he deleted his profile, bizzare.
 Cuckooforcocopuffs
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/17/2010 5:29:16 PM
Well, I have my profile hidden simply because it isn't finished.
 onechicwoman
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:05:15 PM
I can relate chillpill. I know my friend meet someone who has about three profiles on here (yes, same person). He started out as separated with no degree and overnight he is divorced with a degree. I can't help wondering if he lacks self confidence, fails to realize that no one ever wins by starting a relationship based on lies or both. He also tends to hide his profile(s) too! LOL
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:15:40 PM
^^^ no offense to chillpill, but her story proves that lying DOES pay. the guy got exactly what he wanted, which was to get laid.
 candid_1
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:59:48 PM
I have several online male friends who hide their profiles... lol - chicks can be determined stalkers when they want to be. Strangest thing is they all described the same woman... My one pal was afraid to leave his house after a close encounter with her, but when another forum buddy in a different country asked me about that particular town and described the chick, I thought OMG - could it be her again? Yup... it was - she was batty - suicidal but creative. Gotta hand it to her.

My profile has been hidden on and off for over a year. I'm not married. I'm not hiding anything besides my profile. There is nothing incorrect, false or misleading on my profile, but then again, I'm not looking for a date. I wouldn't hold a hidden profile or lack of pic against anyone. We all have our reasons.
 e*Musing
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/17/2010 7:05:27 PM
When I've done it in the past it was when I was in a relationship...all off the fora-denizens are able to see me, but it's simply not available for general searching. Beyond that, honesty is a pretty good policy.

But yeah, for some guys, it's because their wives and friends may see.

Chill Pill
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/17/2010 7:48:42 PM
""^^^ no offense to chillpill, but her story proves that lying DOES pay. the guy got exactly what he wanted, which was to get laid""

That doesn't make any sence to me. Why lie to someone for three months to get laid. I didnt sleep with him over night. Why maintain a lie like that when there are hundreds of woman that are just looking for intimate encounters. It didn't pay in the long run he lost a good woman. .... and I think you are forgetting about something David....

Karma... I think that is very real and God does work some good vengence. Indeed.
 soicat
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/17/2010 7:50:08 PM
There are a lot of reasons for guys to hide their profiles. If they have a responsible job it can make them feel vulnerable, and could cause all sorts of problems; think of the position a judge is in, for example.

Another reason is not to be seen as actively looking to date by friends and acquaintances who then try to set them up.

Finally, unlike most women, a lot of guys dislike rejecting the women who contact them and so prefer to do the contacting themselves.
 e*Musing
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/17/2010 8:32:49 PM
Darlin, if there are hundreds of women looking for Intimate Encounters, there hundreds of thousands of guys who'd like the same.

But, you have a valid question...3 months till first sex and he's married? Whew...he's really not very good at this, now is he?

My guess is he's in a crap relationship...I lived one for 6 years. It gets to a point where people can't break up because of the economy, but they basically thrown in the towel on it and are somewhat openly dating. However, if the relationship doesn't go where they want it to...they have an easy and built-in out. And if it does...great...keep going.

Just remember, between 6 weeks and 6 months, they will drop their party manners and the real person will emerge. You need to be realistic, open and aware of the risks until that time. My guess...he's got the "It's 5 months and I'm scared" vibe.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do some men hide their profile while actively looking?