Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a Truck Driver      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MDoobs33
Msg: 1
Dating a Truck DriverPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm 25 and an Over the Road Truck Driver, I know my career isnt the easiest one for dating, I am however tired of the stereotypes associated with my profession. This isnt 1980 it's 2010, Do I actually have a real chance at having a successful relationship?
 AZ Yankee
Msg: 2
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 6:50:07 PM
Yes of course...with a different lady in every city that has a terminal you stop at.
I was a driver too for many years. The best times I had were when my lady was with me, she would drive, I would drive we made shyt loads of $ and there was no question of infidelity.
If you date/marry a non-driver all the old stereotype stories will be told to her by her friends/acquaintances/church members etc...and you will have problems.
Be honest young man, make it known in your profile what you do, what you are looking for and go from there...best wishes to you and keep the shiny side up.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 3
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 6:52:29 PM
Why should you be different than anyone else? NO ... You don't have a snowball's chance in hell at having a successful relationship!
 gonewalkabout2
Msg: 4
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 6:53:59 PM
Yep!

The problem is not your profession it is more you. So don't use that as an excuse for having a hard time looking for love
 ghostdog1973
Msg: 5
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:02:00 PM

Do I actually have a real chance at having a successful relationship?

have a gf in each leg...
 111Enigma
Msg: 6
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:07:45 PM
Not sure what is the life of a woman dating/married to an actual 'Truck Driver' but I would think it wouldn't be much different than any other relationship where you have to deal with the separation either because the partner works in the military. Or perhaps is away on the oil rigs for a month or so at the time....

How about your personality...can you take it? But mostly, can you trust your partner?

Simple as that....ask yourself the questions and you will have the answers.

P.A.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 7
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:21:46 PM
Yes, it might be harder than some, but you find someone in position to travel along with you, or be willing to be at home while your away and be happy with that.

The thing is most want a home to settle down to, a family, and a hubby who is home most of the time....the family part I mentioned because of your age.

So, it does make it harder, but not impossible....you might consider local or within state driving.
 oldfashioned
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:23:15 PM
yes you do.As long as she is mature enough to trust you and love you.I dated a truck driver for 13 years and trust was not the reason we broke up.
 migivadamsbusted
Msg: 9
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:24:00 PM
I would like dating a trucker, that way I wouldn't have him around 24/7.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:25:11 PM
My uncle was a long haul driver. They are one of the happiest couples I have ever seen and they went through some rough times because he was laid off a time or two when they still had kids at home. They supported each other, really best friends. I would think with cell phones and the computer it would be easier for you than it was them 30 years ago.
 Profile-Writer
Msg: 11
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:30:05 PM
My neighbor was a big rig driver and they've been married nearly 62 yrs.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 12
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:31:49 PM

Do I actually have a real chance at having a successful relationship?

Unless your favorite song from the 70's is "Brandy" you chances are slim! lol

Or maybe you get on of those decals on your windshield which says,"' No Lot Lizards" might help your girl back home easy her fears...lol

imo, your 25,wtf!
Methink when your over 30 or so you might rethink in finding a woman if you are still otr and it's responsibilities in such as job is and in being away.

imo,your profession is what it is. I was a local union driver and never was into the otr thingy.
I was a home body,enjoyed that and that was good for me and the family. jmo

imo,Just find a woman who understands that and to understand that being away from home,and might help to rid of the stereotype thingy in your job.

And hammer down!! how I miss the " The Three Sisters in winter[I-80] taking it out of gear& going 90 plus mph pulling doubles down the hill... lol
 cdnfinanceman
Msg: 13
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 8:59:28 PM
So do something about it, if someone is going to judge you for your career, guess what??? she's not the one for you? kick her to the curb.

If a mortician can get a date so can you , unless you're a complete moron and ive seen moron get dates too.
 Loveoregon
Msg: 14
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 9:06:44 PM

I would like dating a trucker, that way I wouldn't have him around 24/7.

B-I-N-G-O
 softy63
Msg: 15
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 9:19:27 PM
Quote: I would like dating a trucker, that way I wouldn't have him around 24/7.:Quote

Nice one!! You say you want Long term....
My partner works on the oil rigs and is away for months at a time. I trust him as does he trust me. Without trust you have no relationship and no HOPE of establishing one.
Be mindful OP of the separation and if you can trust each other. I wish you all the best .
 Mme. Chaucer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 9:42:58 PM
My boyfriend is an otr driver. The stereotypes don't mean anything. We are much older than you are, so the issue of starting and raising a family is already behind both of us.

I think he and I were both lucky that he fell and broke a bone right when we started dating. It would have been very difficult to get a relationship started if he'd been working his normal "schedule" (if you can call it that) and I imagine that will be a big challenge for you. If you meet someone you like and then can't see her again for weeks, it'll be tough. Once you get established, as long as she can accept the reality of the situation, you can do it.
 aball5
Msg: 17
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/24/2010 9:58:35 PM
"Something about mary" that movie had a clip on truck stops lol. Only thing I seen about semi drivers is they can be wreckless at times in the big ole rigs. That dont aplly to all of them but, I drive up north on I-74 alot and those semi's are pretty dicey on that road.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 18
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 3:41:11 AM
Women are funny, many post talk of the "him" in the post, not coming around often enough...and we all know what the responces say....dump him, he's playing you etc.

Here, some suggest its better he isn't around a lot.......lol.

A little consistancy would be nice.
 myrgth
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:09:54 AM

This isnt 1980 it's 2010

Actually, you would have had better luck back then. When the profession actually paid very well and had really decent men and women doing the job. I have yet to meet a current truck driver that can even compare.

Those stereotypes exist for a reason.

I doubt I would date a modern truck driver. Depends on the man though. A wonderful man is a wonderful man and that's not something I would pass on just because he is a truck driver.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 20
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:11:17 AM

Here, some suggest its better he isn't around a lot.......lol.
Maybe it is only SOME guys they want to see less of. I should think you would understand that concept.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 21
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:15:58 AM

Maybe it is only SOME guys they want to see less of. I should think you would understand that concept.

If thats the case, why be with him at all? or is cross country truck driving really the high paying job, they claim it to be?....

However, I agree with your first post...his chance at a successful relation is about as good as anyone else.....not to good.
 Casper66
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:33:14 AM
Well my father was a long haul truck driver for many years, it was hard on us not having him home sometimes, but my parents are coming up to their 50th wedding aniversary, so it can happen. Just have to find that right woman, my Dad also made sure he was always home on Sundays, so that was family time, it just takes some effort.
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 23
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:36:58 AM
it will never work for you if your partner isn't basically a trusting, confident, and fairly independent person. as a matter of fact, you might want to actually use those words to describe what you're looking for in a partner, if you're not already.

i, for one, would welcome with open arms a LTR with a man who was around only 50% of the time. i'd roll out the red carpet for that deal. sounds like heaven to me!
 NCHeetSeeker
Msg: 24
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 2:54:41 PM
I'm beginning to wonder about that, myself...
 migivadamsbusted
Msg: 25
Dating a Truck Driver
Posted: 3/25/2010 3:17:03 PM
foot note to soft heart- pof won't let me change or update my profile and besides long term doesn't have to mean 24/7...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a Truck Driver