Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 111Enigma
Msg: 1
Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
When I was in my twenties I would observe 'older' people wearing glasses read documents or books in front of them and then remove them quickly when someone would address them.
I thought to myself "They must be vain and don't want people to see them wearing glasses".

Well, little that I know, now that I'm 45 yrs old, suddenly 'Miss Perfect 20/20 vision' needs to wear Reader Glasses to be able to see documents in front of her face...
And guess what? She then needs to take them off if people in the room are talking to her...if not, she can't see them!
Duh.
It was my 'Ah-ha! moment'.

Does anyone outhere have a similar experience/thought about what they wrongly assumed about older folks when they were younger and changed their mind since reaching the milestones?
Thanks for you input.
P.A.
 TheReason_
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:22:49 PM
For me, the biggest thing was kicking the back of the seat as a kid. I would even touch it, and my dad would say "quit kicking the seat" fast forward 20 years, when I had kids of my own, and wow you really CAN feel it, when someone kicks or touches the back of the seat!
 NowSucksLess
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:43:53 PM
I couldn't understand why so many people were on POF just for the forums.

Flash forward (just!) 18 months and now I soooo get it.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:46:54 PM
My Daughter is getting married........and has turned into a Monster.......I remember my Mother saying something similar to me during that time.....Ouch .....but I don't remember being as cranky as her..........
 maximusminimus
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:45:55 PM

Duh.

A truer word was never spoken.
 111Enigma
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:19:57 PM

For me, the biggest thing was kicking the back of the seat as a kid.

Funny, I been there...done that.
But worse, I remember being in the front seat (without a seat belt) and lighting my father's cigarettes once in a while! Bleh!

OT:
I now understand the importance of good communication with your kids. I want my kids to be able to talk to me. Not to feel like I did when I was their age...my parents were not the type of people you could talk honestly about anything and that was difficult on us kids.

P.A.
 SensualVixenX
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:32:30 PM
When I was quite a bit younger I didn't think people over 50 had sex anymore. I was partially right..........
 breath~
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:33:44 PM

I couldn't understand why so many people were on POF just for the forums.
Flash forward.... and now I soooo get it

I can sure relate to that.

Now that I'm older... there are still things that don't make sense... but I've got the sense to not worry about them because it really doesn't matter anyway.
 keepitstr8
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/27/2010 9:01:21 PM
What goes around comes around comes around.
 privat33r
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2010 9:02:08 PM
Heh,.. My eldest just had a girl over for the first time for a date. He cleaned up. She had dinner with her, then her dad took about forever picking her up. The business about being upstairs wondering what they were up to in the basement was a real time warp.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:07:48 AM
Yea well, I remember thinking what young people did made sense, but not older people.

Now, I look at it as what older people do makes sense, but not what the younger people do.

Did I change any?
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:08:13 AM
I am a rare bird.. My eyesight was really bad when I was younger.. I read articles when younger on how to strengthen your eyes and that was not to wear your glasses all the time.. I also became bugs bunny and ate lots of carrots..I have to say I don't wear glasses today and really have no need of them..If however I was driving a car I would likely need them for distance.. I usually have to read the fine print for my sister. She had no eye problems when younger but sure does now..

I was very aware of people with vision problems when very young since I had them myself..

thecatsmeoww
 clontarf
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:36:25 AM
I'm a teacher and I now do what I hated about my teachers, I put my glasses on top of my head when I don't need them, it's the only way I can find them again!

I also notice my kids get slightly aggrivated with me when I can't understand how something works, generally things on the computer. I remember having that feeling with my Mother so many times. Thank God she's still alive and I find I'm much more patient with her now.

Is this the real circle of life?
 mogrl42
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:53:38 AM

I now understand the importance of good communication with your kids. I want my kids to be able to talk to me. Not to feel like I did when I was their age...my parents were not the type of people you could talk honestly about anything and that was difficult on us kids.

This has been my # 1 goal for my kids.For them to be able to come and talk to me about anything,nomatter what or how bad they may think it is and I like to say that I have met this goal.I am sure theres still things they don`t tell me but whenever one of thier friends or gf`s has a problem they send them to me to talk to as well.
 Hepcat51
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/28/2010 5:06:37 AM
Sex? What's that? I'd prefer a good debate over aluminum versus vinyl siding.

Then again, my idea of a good time on New Year's Eve is to go the local drug store and watch 'em fill prescriptions.

:)
 redneckfriend2000
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 6:32:16 AM
I remember the kicking under the seat thing, but even before I had kids, I realized why, when my friends sat in the back seat.

My favorite was when my mother would say, "Cause I said so," it always made me mad, but I said the same thing to my kids. LOL
 texasbaby
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 6:48:41 AM
I can remember wondering why "old people" always ask to have things repeated or accused you of mumbling when you spoke.
WELL,, now that I'm older,, it finally makes sense.
I simply don't always hear as well as I used to..
Could it be too many nights of loud rock music, too many Sundays at the local drag race track,, or just my age?

tb
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/28/2010 8:14:16 AM
Just thought I would post this information for those that may well be encountering vision problems as they age..

Fish, Nuts and Olive Oil Reduce Age-Related Blindness Risk (AMD)

by: S. L. Baker

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of vision loss in Americans 60 years of age and older.
It gradually destroys sharp, central vision that's needed for tasks like driving and reading and, in time, AMD can lead to total blindness.With Baby Boomers growing older, by 2020 around three million Americans are expected to have late-stage age-related AMD.

That means a huge number of people could have incurable blindness in their future. In fact, AMD is a world-wide health problem and the leading cause of severe vision loss among people over 65 in the developed countries. But two new studies just published
in the May issue of Archives of Ophthalmology offer hope this vision-robbing condition doesn't have to be inevitable for many seniors.

Good news: researchers have found that regular consumption of fish, nuts, olive oil and other foods containing omega-three fatty acids and avoiding trans-fats may significantly lower the risk for AMD.

In one report, Australian scientist Jennifer S.L. Tan, M.B.B.S. of the University of Sydney's Westmead Hospital and her research team studied 2,454 participants in the Blue Mountains Eye Study, which began in 1992 to 1994. Over the years, study participants filled out a food frequency questionnaire in order to document their intake of various fatty acids. Then, after five and 10 years passed, digital photographs of the research subjects' eyes were taken to study their retinas and check for the development of AMD.

The researchers found that eating just one serving of fish each week was associated with a 31 percent lower risk of developing early AMD.
What's more, eating just one to two servings of nuts per week was associated with a 35 percent lower risk of early AMD.

"In conclusion, our findings support the hypothesis that increased intake of omega-three polyunsaturated fatty acids and regular consumption of fish and/or nuts in the diet may protect against the development of early AMD," the authors wrote in the study.
They theorize that these healthy fatty acids may protect the eyes by preventing the buildup of plaque in the arteries and by reducing inflammation, blood vessel formation and oxygen-related cell damage in the retina.

In another study reported in the same issue of Archives of Ophthalmology, Elaine Chong, M.D., Ph.D., of the Centre for Eye Research Australia, and colleagues analyzed data from 6,734 people between the ages of 58 and 69. Between 1990 and 1994, the research subjects' intake of nutrients was calculated from a food frequency questionnaire. Then the study participants were studied between 2003 and 2006 to see if they developed AMD. During this follow-up period, 2,872 cases of early AMD were diagnosed and 88 cases of late AMD were also found.

Who were most likely to have late-stage AMD? The people who ate the most trans-fats (usually the result of eating baked goods and processed foods).
On the other hand, those who consumed the most omega-three fatty acids were far less likely to have even early AMD.

In this study, fish didn't seem to be the big protector against in AMD -- instead, olive oil was the clear "star" of this research.
"Olive oil intake (100 milliliters or more per week vs. less than 1 milliliter per week) was associated with decreased prevalence of late AMD,"
the authors wrote. "Our findings suggest that people who follow a diet low in processed foods high in trans-unsaturated fatty acids and rich in omega-three fatty acids and olive oil might enjoy some protection from developing AMD."

These studies aren't the first to show that nutrients may protect your sight as you age. Previously, the National Eye Institute's (NEI) Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS) found that taking high-doses of antioxidants and zinc significantly reduced the risk of advanced AMD and its associated vision loss. According to the NEI web site, this is highly significant because slowing down AMD's progression from the intermediate stage to the advanced stage can save the vision of many people. Specifically, the AREDS study involved the daily intake of 500 milligrams of vitamin C, 400 International Units of vitamin E, 15 milligrams of beta-carotene, 80 milligrams of zinc as zinc oxide,
and two milligrams of copper as cupric oxide.

thecatsmeoww
 Vannili
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 9:28:45 AM
Msg:1 I wear a bifocal eyeglasses at work or going shopping,when I enter a store /work ,Iam rummaging my purse looking for my glasses to wear so I can read prices etc.. I don't wear my eyeglasses when I am driving,/at home /walking/eating in a restaurant,I don't considered my self vain,I am not just comfortable wearing eyeglasses all the time.

As an older woman now ,I learned it doesn't makes sense to waste an energy to impress others, but what makes sense is YOU IMPRESSED your self of your achievement and how you made yourself.... Vannili
 LOSTIN60S49
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/28/2010 9:54:54 AM
Alot has to do with perception.When you're young your universe is quite a bit smaller than it is now so your observations are based on limited data because you don't see the whole picture.For instance,I didn't understand why the Drill Instructors did some of the stuff they did in training until one day,years later,that I realized that all they were doing was trying to improve our chances of survival.It took years of expanding the picture through live's experiances to finally see the wisdom of thier actions.Being very honest with myself I find myself sounding like my father or grandfather every now & then.(lol! I can't help but chuckle to myself).
 karma1160
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/28/2010 11:42:16 AM
Hey privat33r, I can relate....... Last year this boy kissed my 17 year old in the backseat of the car while I was driving.
I can hear the echo of my words saying something like: Um can you not do that in front of me. So in essence I am telling the kids to sneak their affection. lol
It is such an awkward position to be in. I am like a female cat when it comes to trying to protect my daughter from jerks. She is beautiful and people are always oogling her.
I just look at them and growl lol. I know the day when someone will look at her with adoration in their eyes and then I will relax.
I can remember my dad investigating the boys I dated in high school, he would even go talk to the principle.lol
Now here I am feeling the same way.
 damassteel
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 12:47:29 PM
For me it's a couple of things. First is my needing my home environment quiet and peaceful. Raucous activity in and around my vicinity is VERY annoying, so people running up and down stairs, slamming doors etc. bugs me no end; just like my grandparents!!!
Next was realizing that my daughter had become sexually active. Not exactly a shocker, but a kind of awkward crossroads/milestone for us both. Now I look upon her as an adult and not a child . Our relationship has been brought up to date, so to say.
I recall my own parents having to confront that reality. They actually handled it rather well.
 TheReason_
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 1:40:11 PM
It used to be "don't trust anyone over 30"

Now it's "don't trust anyone under 25"

FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/28/2010 1:50:43 PM

Last year this boy kissed my 17 year old in the backseat of the car while I was driving.
I can hear the echo of my words saying something like: Um can you not do that in front of me. So in essence I am telling the kids to sneak their affection. lol

I do the same thing, karma! Buuuuuttt...for me it's like: I know what you're doing, just don't shove it in my face so I have to deal with it..lol..
(And before I start being lectured about not being open with her, etc..we're very open with each other. I just find it confronting. It's almost rebellious, I feel. She could at least have the courtesy to sneak like I did!!! Hey maybe that's the result of all that openness.)
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/28/2010 2:41:00 PM
When I was a kid my mother always use to say "How can you possibly read that book in the dark? Turn a light on!"
Of course as kids we could see just fine in the dark...it's our parents who couldn't.

Yup..now that I'm older (and definately blinder)...it finally makes sense.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.