Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Chronic Fatigue Sydrome a nw STD?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 m_church
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Chronic Fatigue Sydrome a nw STD?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
In the news is information that the Canadian Red Cross has decided to ban donors with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. There is growing suspicion that CFS is caused by a virus that may be transmitted by blood or other fluid exchanges.

Canada has banned donations from anyone with chronic fatigue syndrome as a precaution.

There is no definitive link between the virus found in some people with chronic fatigue, but Canadian Blood Services said it will err on the side of caution with the new restriction.

Canada is the first country to ban donations from people with chronic fatigue, said Dr. Dana Devine, head of medical and scientific research for Canadian Blood Services.

"Well, I think we're stepping out of the gate [first] for two reasons," Devine said Wednesday. "One is that we have a concern about this virus because we don't have enough information, and because we also don't understand what actually does cause chronic fatigue syndrome."

The retrovirus XMRV belongs to the same family as HIV and the virus has been found in some prostate cancer cells. It's thought that perhaps like HIV, XMRV may be transmitted through the exchange of bodily fluids or blood transfusions.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/04/07/blood-donations-chronic-fatigue-virus.html#ixzz0kTTwqLII
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Chronic Fatigue Sydrome a nw STD?
Posted: 4/8/2010 8:15:13 AM
Precautionary, but perhaps also alarmist, and based on one inconclusive study. A study in the UK found NO association between XMRV and CFS, and the study appears to have been more carefully conducted to remove the problems in Lombardi's research.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0008519

The discussion also notes that past studies have found correlations that have later proved erroneous:

Unlike the study of Lombardi et al., we have failed to detect XMRV or closely related MRV proviral DNA sequences in any sample from CFS cases. There have been numerous claims for an infective aetiology to CFS over the years, not least because, as in this sample, many patients report that their symptoms were triggered by an infective episode. Prospective epidemiological studies have confirmed that certain infective agents, for example Epstein Barr virus, are unequivocally associated with subsequent CFS [20], even if the mechanisms are unclear and almost certainly multi factorial.
 m_church
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2010 8:35:56 AM

Precautionary, but perhaps also alarmist, and based on one inconclusive study

Isn't that kind of what they said about the HIV/AIDs being caused by a STD....?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2010 10:05:26 AM
"They" say all kinds of things, which aren't necessarily true or accurate, and the science here doesn't yet support the conclusions - at best, it raises more questions.
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/8/2010 10:47:33 AM
Chronic fatigue syndrome? Isn't that a fairly large genre of things? Who knows; interesting.
Posted: 4/8/2010 1:30:13 PM
Isn't the Canadian Red Cross the same institution that knowingly infected thousands with hep C?

I wouldn't really take anything they say regarding my health seriously.
I just pray I never have need for their services because I may very well end up much worse off then I started.

However, it's just common sense to ban donors who are sick from a mostly unidentifiable illness.

I seriously doubt that too many people suffering from CFS would have the energy to get out and donate blood anyways.

And if you don't know what's making you sick...
why would you try to donate your blood and possibly infect others?

Makes no sense.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/8/2010 3:29:33 PM
Tired after sex?

I always thought that meant you both just had a great time..... ...

Well, I guess they are just being careful about something they are not sure of.
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/8/2010 5:36:40 PM
Suprisingly, alot of medical professionals are "diagnosed' with CFS..maybe it's just a *label* to put on burnout , medical hypochondria or getting busy in the central supply closet who knows, interesting though.
 windloverr
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2010 4:45:37 PM

Isn't that kind of what they said about the HIV/AIDs being caused by a STD....?
Ummmmm... No. They KNEW it was sexually transmitted; those rocket scientists just thought that only GAY people could get it. How a disease could possibly restrict itself based on sexual preference is completely beyond me. You can thank Regan for the inexcusable lag in disease discovery; and research funding.
 whosaidso
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/10/2010 6:19:49 AM

Canada has banned donations from anyone with chronic fatigue syndrome as a precaution.

About time.

Around the world in various countries including north america, many doctors and researchers have been saying it's caused by mycoplasma (not a virus, not a bacteria) infection for well over a decade or more and they have been ignored and reviled much like the two nobel prize laureats who were shunned and ridiculed (prior to the nobel prize award) who said ulcers were caused by bacteria. They were right of course but it took a decade for the doctors and big pharma to stop denying it because there was more money in the useless treatments they made a living from. They preferred ulcers to be a chronic disease than treatable with antibiotics. I have a friend whose ignorant doctor still doesn't know this and the prize for this discovery was in 2004. I told him to change doctors and he's finally cured of constant gastritis with a simple antibiotic course and a follow up course of probiotics.

Mycoplasma infections are contagious. It can be cured with months of low dose bacteriostatic (non penicillin family - erythromycin family) antibiotics but that wrecks your gut bacteria causing other problems. Some blood types seem to be more succeptible to it.

For those that have taken a lot of antibiotics, long term high dose, broad range probiotics can reset the gut back to normal.

Also, pycnogenol is worth looking at to treat sticky blood (pycnogenol unsticks blood cells - platelet aggregation) blood damage (free radical damage) which causes exhaustion. Google it if you are interested. There's lots of research.

For those who believe they don't know what causes it consider this. Chronic diseases that they don't have a cure for make a lot more money than treatment with non patentable cheap antibiotics.
 LittlestIndian
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/10/2010 5:14:01 PM
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is another way of saying "You're boring" in bed and that it is the new "headache" excuse.
 Elgalawaat
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2010 7:05:48 AM
In America we call it the yuppie syndrome. It seems stupid to me. Because Fatigue can be caused by lots of reasons. Such as deficiency in certain vitamins and Minerals. Could be mental Fatigue (you thinking too much) Could be malnutrition ( It does mean the quantity of food but the quality of food).
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/11/2010 2:00:44 PM
That is pretty silly--so, colds are then an STD as well? I mean, you spread that virus through KISSING.

I agree, chronic fatigue isn't a disease, its' even called a SYNDROME ( which is a set of symptoms thats eem to occur together). It's a catch-all phrase for any number of unidentifiable symptoms like "being tired", "feeling funny", etc. All patient-reported "symptoms". Isn't it amazing how "chronic fatigue" most often hits middle-aged people? You know, the ones who are AGING [slowing down] and don't want to admit it? "No, no, it cannot possibly be that I'm in less than good shape, it must be MEDICAL. Find me a MEDICAL explanation for my aging."
 stoneartly
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/11/2010 2:31:37 PM
Paaaa-leeessseeeee

Suppose I am in the emergency room spouting blood all over the place and the Dr says you have two choices die or I can give you this CFS blood which do you wish.....

Okay that was a stupid question...never mind
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2010 6:22:56 PM
CFS has yet to be clearly DEFINED, less linked to any activity, virus, etc. One VERY important thing to keep in mind with ALL public reports about labeled "syndromes," is that the health industry APPLIES labels to anything that INSURANCE companies need labels for before paying for treatments or investigations. It doesn't even mean the syndrome EXISTS.
Bottom line, that Canada, or ANY country decides something like this doesn't mean anything to us. Until there is something you can test in the bloodstream, it's all talk. If you enjoy a mindless sense of panic, go ahead and buy into this stuff. Otherwise it's another "yeah, so?" kind of thing.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/14/2010 8:23:50 AM
It occurs to me that *I* have CAS*!
The correlated "symptoms" are:
--increased fatigue (I was much more active in my 20s)
--increased muscles and joint pain (man, I used to be able to play rugby all day long!)
--weight gain (especially around my tummy)
--skin deterioration
--loss of pigment in hair

We MUST do something about this syndrome!

*chronic aging syndrome
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2010 8:31:59 AM
^^^ Right! And it's sexually transmitted, too, from you parents having sex. Fortunately, for most people it takes decades to become debilitating and/or fatal.
 abelian
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/14/2010 8:51:05 AM

In the news is information that the Canadian Red Cross has decided to ban donors with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. There is growing suspicion that CFS is caused by a virus that may be transmitted by blood or other fluid exchanges.

Gee, since you also can't donate blood if you have chicken pox, colds, flu and a number of other illnesses, are all of those STD's, too? I wasn't aware that the criteria for an std was whether or not it could be acquired by fluid exchange.
 principles of magic
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/14/2010 3:29:25 PM
Also, they don't want anything from you for one full year after you have been in any malaria zone; they don't care whether you used anti malarial drugs, lived full time under a mosquito net etc. From the spittle of a mosquito, to your blood, to someone else's. No sex involved, unless mosquitos are having much more fun than we ever suspected.
 TOwoman1
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/14/2010 4:01:59 PM
re: [Isn't the Canadian Red Cross the same institution that knowingly infected thousands with hep C?] it is now called Canadian Blood Services - they laid on the ban.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/14/2010 4:08:28 PM
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? I thought the leading cause of that was marriage... Which is also the leading cause of night headaches and TMJ in women.

CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2010 7:39:45 PM
You are also prohibited from donating permanently if you've lived in France or the UK, since you might have been exposed to Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease.

The prohibition against CFS sufferers probably arose out of a concern that these patients have elevated antibodies in their blood - antibodies which are similar to those for other diseases such as Lyme disease, candida, and Epstein-Barr virus.

Most people with CFS wouldn't meet the minimum requirements to donate anyway.
 LittleBell1979
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2010 6:58:37 AM
As someone who has been suffering from progressive CFS for over 10 years now, I find some of these obviously ignorant comments extremely insulting.

There is nothing "stupid" about it, except for maybe the attitudes certain people have about the disease. It is not a "yuppie" thing, nor an "age" thing, and anyone who thinks it's funny to make jokes about it or dismiss it as a "symptom" should probably do a little more research before making such offensive and uninformed assumptions.

And thank you to those of you who have made informed, non judgmental comments.

If CFS is now considered an "STD", keep in mind that roughly 80% of the people on this site are carrying at least one if not more strains of HPV, which can not only be deadly, but is MUCH more easily spread than CFS is.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/29/2010 7:13:51 AM

Oh, great! I can hear it now. "I'm too tired for sex... And it's your fault!"

Posted: 6/29/2010 7:22:05 AM
Every disease has multiple causes and effects and can technically be labelled an STD. It can be a combination of exhaustion/burn out, vitamin or mineral deficiency, a lowered immune system, depression, age, and a virus that finds favourable conditions to flourish. If a virus invades a healthy host chances are that it will be overcome. In someone suffering a combination of the above ,it can be 3 or 4 strikes and you're out! We all come into contact with viruses around us on a daily basis; you shake hands , touch hard surfaces others have touched, you use rest rooms others have used, you use computers, someone sneezes, you kiss someone, you're intimate with someone who is healthy today but may develope something tomorrow, you breathe. How can you avoid it?

The medical world is now realizing that but it's hard to pinpoint cause and affect in each person, that's why it's being emphasized that life-style choices and a multiple vitamin can be the best preventative action you can take to protect yourself.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Chronic Fatigue Sydrome a nw STD?