Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Rip off dating sites?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CrazyDiamond99
Msg: 1
Rip off dating sites?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I might get completely banned from this forum for mentioning this or something, but here goes... I will withhold the name of the site for now...

I joined another well known and established dating site some time ago that required a fee of around £20 for one month's worth of being able to open messages and reply. I didn't get a lot of responses, it was apparently a waste of time, effort and money, so I didn't pay them any more and forgot about it. Plenty of fish is much better in my experience, so thanks to all who've made it possible!

However, as the spring came around, I began to get lots of messages, some from fairly attractive women. I wondered if the change in weather might have been influencing things, after all it has been a long winter here in the UK and the sunshine is getting lots of women out in their mini-skirts even if it's actually rather cold some of the time. I held out for a while, then finally gave in to curiosity and paid for another month so I could reply to some of them. The messages turned out to be one-liners and some of them rather odd to say the least, especially as I hinted in my profile I'd prefer a little more than a one-liner.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't you generally expect some kind of response from at least a few of your replies where the girl has taken the first initiative? I have learnt a bit about online dating; what sort of things are sexy and what is an instant turn-off for a women, and I was careful to make my replies what I felt to be a little intriguing, or at least nothing like the classic 'You are so beautiful, let's hang out!' grovelling blunder.

After replying to quite a few of these one-liners and getting absolutely no response at all, I have begun to smell a rat! I looked more closely at the messages and it dawned on me that despite some vague attempt at differences in style, wasn't there a common sort of thread to each that could easily have been the same person writing them all?

I suspect I've been scammed, but in rather a subtle way that might be hard to prove... unless of course there are lots of other people out there with a similar experience. In case you haven't worked out what I mean; the moderators of the site using photographs of various women to send fake messages and draw you in and part with money under a false pretence.

I'd be very interested to discover if this is the case. Should I be asking for my £20 back, after all I haven't actually named the site as yet and perhaps people should be made aware, or is this just old news and should I live and learn with my mistakes?
 finbarrsaunders
Msg: 2
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:01:38 PM
My friend who is a member of this site had the same experience as you! No messages when he was signed up; but plenty when he left. He did the same thing as you, and had the same results. It's definately a rip off!

"Strike a light!" I said, if you get my drift?
 Optimism faded
Msg: 3
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:04:03 PM
Happened to me too - and I'm female. Told me I had x number of messages waiting for me, paid my subscription and lo and behold, there weren't any messages waiting for me at all...... Then I got informed I had "messages" after my subscription had expired. Needless to say, I said "Yeah, my @rse I have" and ignored it.
 upper_west_side
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:04:08 PM
I did use a paid site in the past that displayed "fishy" behaviour like you suggest.

But I think most are legit... basically if you get a fair few messages when you ARE a member, then you'll probably get a fair few when you are not.
 Cheburashka
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:06:55 PM
£20 a month, you got off light!

Theres a few I wont mention who charge $9.99 PER LETTER (not email, just a letter over their web site) you send to a person...
Oh and when you try and write an email address in the proper format they block the text so she cant see it lol...

Proper class some of them
 ~Unique~54
Msg: 6
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:09:29 PM
I've heard of this too...they send you messages when you register to get your juices flowing so to speak, this encourages you to pay the joining fee to be able to open and read these messages...then nothing...you leave and you get more messages to try to get you to sign up again.

Sometimes even while you are a paying account holder when you log off a message comes through to encourage you to sign back in again!
 lighttou
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 3:18:15 PM
Dating sites are in it for the money, simples! POF are better than most because they don't knock themselves out trying to rip off their members (we'll draw a line over the well-known & distrustred 'update' cack), but if someone offers you something that seems to be good to be true, trust me, it's a stinker!!!!!!!!
 forum_moderator
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 4:33:00 PM

I might get completely banned from this forum for mentioning this or something, but here goes... I will withhold the name of the site for now...

Not an offence at all.

See Dating Site Scam Reports

Or Post here Scams from women on dating sites

Broken Meat
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 7:53:04 PM
Never used a pay site but what you describe sounds both plausable and despicable.

Making a quick buck from peoples lonliness, shame on them if true.
 Carm0n
Msg: 10
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/6/2010 11:29:15 PM
I can't name the site, but my brother has a couple of friends, who are male/female, who work for a site and that is part of the job.
 Strider886
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/7/2010 12:59:20 AM
There's also one or two companies that run lots of these sites, some are even fetish dating sites and they use the profiles of the people they suck in on all the sites they run.... SO your perfectly innocent profile and photo could be on some swingers dating site or much worse!
 arkadye
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/7/2010 7:15:26 AM
According to the blog on a different free dating website even legit subscription sites are fairly dishonest.

http://blog..com/index.php/2010/04/07/why-you-should-never-pay-for-online-dating/
 CrazyDiamond99
Msg: 13
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/7/2010 9:51:07 AM
Wow, I didn't expect so much of a response over just one day! Thanks guys for posting all your comments.

It sounds like this is quite a well-known issue amongst those who fall for it, but not so well-known to those who are just seeing which sites might be worth checking out. I mean, if you do a search for 'rip off dating sites' you're likely to get loads of info on how various far-away people will convince you to part with money for their plane ticket over, etc, but not a lot of warning that the messages you receive in these sites might not even be genuine. Hey, maybe that would be a great ad for POF?

I suppose what crosses my mind is how is this being so easily over-looked and how are they able to get away with it? Oh, and for your information, the particular site in question happens to be 'Girls Date for Free'. An acquaintance I made through POF suggested it some time ago and I just thought it was time to try it out.

I just responded to a message on there by the way suggesting that it was spam and could they please confirm if they are 'real'. It appears that this may be the one in ten that is actually a genuine person and the girl is now being all offended and accusing me of being on an ego trip!

...Or, is this just another crafty tactic of the moderating team to throw you off the scent? Maybe they have that 'offended' message carefully prepared and ready to use? How on earth do the moderators of these sites expect you to take their site seriously once they've lost your confidence? lol.
 mackem
Msg: 14
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 5/7/2010 9:54:10 AM
Do not join any dating sites hosted by White Label Dating.......they are renown for this sort of thing...I had it from the horses mouth of someone who had a dating site hosted by WLD
 blueeyes1545
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:18:31 PM
Ju;st to add my 2 cents worth for all those gullible guys out there (of which I was one). There is more than one of these rip sites and in fact quite a few. I've found the way to spot them is;
1. Nearly all the women are really beautiful and naked or semi naked. Hardly any "average" looking women
2. The membership renews automatically unless you remember to untick a box somewhere
3. You'll get some very enticing messages from some really gorgeous women promising all kinds of pleasures.
4. You respond to them but as soon as you try to tie them down to anything definite, they go mysteriously quiet on you.

Obviously the photos on these sites are obtained from some database of nude or near nude women and the responses are from some people hired purely to respond to the messages from we guys. But there is nothing genuine in them at all.
A couple I've found like this are; XDating, RSVP Adult & at least one other the name of which I can't recall. There are probably dozens but be cautious. It is nothing but a rip off of people looking for something genuine and getting anything but.
 maya_posting
Msg: 16
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:26:53 PM

It is nothing but a rip off of people looking for something genuine and getting anything but.

LOL...!

it's a dilly of a pickle but, i appear to have lost my sympathy gene today.

the 'moral' of the story is rather simple...i wonder if anyone that gets caught out with scams like this manage to feel their way to what that moral is.

:)
 lightstar1
Msg: 17
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/6/2013 4:30:07 PM
Sex sells - google reverse image search is probably your friend - but I always ask 'why me', 'why now?' and 'how much?'
I'll stick with POF - I never get any interest, but at least it's free.................

sambalady
Msg: 18
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 12:31:32 AM

There's also one or two companies that run lots of these sites, some are even fetish dating sites and they use the profiles of the people they suck in on all the sites they run.... SO your perfectly innocent profile and photo could be on some swingers dating site or much worse!

As the poster above says, there is one company, who I can't name who seem to manage a large no. of sites. There was a Channel 4 documentary a few years ago about this particular company which exposed their dubious practices. Some ex-employees were interviewed for the programme, who claimed that they were told to target people and bombard them for a short time with complimentary messages, then once that person started to respond, they didn't reply anymore. They also set up fake profiles in connection with this. It was all a ruse to make money.
Despicable really.
 AwwwShucks
Msg: 19
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 1:03:02 AM
Never had such problems since am an onry ombré as opposed to a horny one.

So will not be seduced by the pictorial delights of women wearing very little... since can go to Newcastle to see that if required!
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 2:00:29 AM
I suppose this is the cyber equivalent of a Clip Joint.
 daver987654
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 2:08:06 AM
Had the same experience myself but I think this is limited to a few sites. I'm pretty sure match is legit. However, as Markus, the owner of this site, pointedout, only one in ten people are paid members. so you might pay your monthly sub and email ten people but only one of those will be able to read and reply to your email. Not a rip off but the result is the same.
 risorgiva
Msg: 22
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:06:11 AM
I used the yahoo personals and it was a waste of time. I cancelled it after a month, it wasn't worth it.
 Steve965
Msg: 23
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 11:56:29 AM
There is another site with a fishy theme that encourages members to write a sort of general 'about me' e-mail thats sent automatically (as an 'ice-breaker') to other members the site considers possible matches - mainly on the basis of age and geography - so any one 'ice-breaker' generic messages could be sent to hundreds of people. Of course members who have yet to subscribe have no message reading privelages so all they can see is their inbox gradually filling up with messages from various members of the opposite sex.

Of course eventually curiosity gets the upper hand and a membership is purchased - only for the unfortunate new member to discover the ten, twenty or however many messages are not the hoped for personal messages - they then feel somewhat duped!
 lightstar1
Msg: 24
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 12:01:01 PM
^^^ It's a good stunt - they really don't have to score too many hits to make quite a reasonable living.........

bighairyrob
Msg: 25
Rip off dating sites?
Posted: 3/7/2013 2:07:27 PM
I have seen this happen as well. Different site, a few views while on trial, the day after it expires (non paid) then suddenly 2 very attractive women send messages. Well guess what, you cannot read these unless you subscribe, So i logged in and deactived the account. I have heard about this happening from so many people that it makes it impossible to believe any similar cost service.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Rip off dating sites?