Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *army mom*
Msg: 1
45+ men and fashionPage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I'm not sure where to post this, but you over-45 men need to hear this.

My daughter and I were recently at the mall and I noticed several fairly attractive men around my age. Problem is they all had their pants pulled up under their armpits -- usually wearing a belt with a shirt tucked in -- kinda like Ed Grimley on Saturday Night Live! Now, while I'm no fashion model, I try to keep my wardrobe current -- without trying to look like a teenager.

I realize most older men just aren't that interested in fashion or what's current, but I'd almost guarantee you'd have better results in the dating world if you updated your wardrobes occasionally. If you have daughters, I'm sure they'd be glad to take you shopping and they definitely wouldn't let you walk out looking like total dorks.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 7:38:21 AM
You could walk over and givem a wedgie, then a card with your number on it. Might get their attention better than talking to their profiles... S

Many mature men prefer clothes that are comfortable, rather than needing to be fashionable according to someone else's idea. And we don't wear cruel shoes ever...

P.S. do you ever wear dresses? Or prefer men's shirts? ;)
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 3
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 7:48:58 AM
I had not noticed that trend. Then again, I'm usually walking around with my butt crack visible.
 forumfishie
Msg: 4
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 8:08:27 AM
I live by the beach
Here they do the black socks with sandals look.

There has to be a happy medium, you either get that or the adorned baggy jeans and angel wing T-shirts, cap Ed hardy wear and ......skateboard!

Dude I can still tell you are 45 not because you are
pedaling your skateboard you turned into a teenager all of the sudden.

Teenagers will bounce right back when they fall, have you seen one of these dudes fall?
It takes a while if not the paramedics to bring them back to their feet.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 5
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 8:14:40 AM

Here they do the black socks with sandals look.

ACK. That is just 14 varieties of wrong.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 6
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 8:22:50 AM
Not me.
I make sure my belt is tightly fastened right below my man boobs.
I'll shoot for the armpits when I hit 55.

In the mean time, I'm just happy watching all of the 45+ year old women strolling through the mall in way-too-tight spandex pants. BLECH!

Edit...Not you Jerseygirl. Hubba Hubba.
 abelian
Msg: 7
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 8:27:48 AM
OP, having pants pulled up to one's armpits was never in fashion. On the other hand, if men buy decent clothes, updating the wardrobe is a non issue. I have button down shirts, dress shirts, ties and even jeans (501's for example) that are no different from the clothing sold today. Wardrobes only go out of fashion if you waste money on trendy clothes. If a guy buys a decent pair of wool slacks, it is not going to go out of style. Also, since ratty jeans seem to always be in style, my work on the car, house, etc. clothing is not going out of style either. I think this would be true for women as well, but women tend to buy lots of trendy clothing rather than spend the same money for fewer outfits that are relatively immune to fashion trends. It's not a matter of updating one's wardrobe. It's a matter of buying something decent the first time.
 MsMicki
Msg: 8
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 8:52:08 AM
Sure am glad the men my age in my area aren't doing this yet!
Tends to be men more into their late 60's around here.

The black socks w/ shorts thing has always cracked me up!
I told my Dad after my Mom passed away.....if you ever expect to get laid again......
get rid of the black socks and shorts thing!!
 Vannili
Msg: 9
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 8:53:33 AM
msg1:
army mom, LOL !!! I would rather date those 45 + guy who's pants are up to their armpit with intelligence ,than those guys who"s pants is way below where they keep their Bratwurst.
 eastwood969
Msg: 10
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 9:04:44 AM
You can't accuse me of this pants under the armpits thing, everytime I try to pull my pants up they fall back down. I take all the loose change out and tighten up the belt and they still fall back down. I just give up.
 scottey63
Msg: 11
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 9:57:49 AM
Yeah...better that than walking around with the pants barely hanging off the undies..say no to crack!
 *army mom*
Msg: 12
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 10:02:46 AM
^^^I don't see a whole lot of 45+ men saggin' ...
 forumfishie
Msg: 13
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 10:10:55 AM
You haven't seen my plumber, he is about 55
Unfortunately I'm VERY acquainted with his crack
 Rarebird76
Msg: 14
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 10:23:34 AM

I realize most older men just aren't that interested in fashion or what's current
I'm not 45+ yet I don't give a crap either.

My fashion is a cross between Kurt Cobain...A metal head (circa 90's) and a lumberjack from northern california + a dash of hippy beatnick (sandals sometimes). It's my natural woman repellent. They don't know WTF to think some of them. Though I admit I do have 1 pair or trendy jeans (like those kind those urbanized metro-sexuals wear) but that's only cause my old ones wore out and I couldn't locate the same brand and cut. They aren't bad but they are a bit too flashy for my tastes.
 m_church
Msg: 15
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 10:46:26 AM

Sure am glad the men my age in my area aren't doing this yet!
Tends to be men more into their late 60's around here.

I was thinking the same as you...
I actually would raise that to the 80's even....

Maybe we have Fashion Police here, but I rarely if ever see anyone with the armpits merged with the waistline....

There's one old guy near me... Looks like a slob all week... white hair, funny little beard and moustache.. but when he goes out anywhere important, he dresses like he has a personal fashion advisor.... always nicely turned out.... I'd bet he's in his mid to late 80's....
 carolann0308
Msg: 16
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 10:48:55 AM
There has to be a specail place in hell for guys that wear Ed Hardy
 forumfishie
Msg: 17
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 11:08:06 AM
^^^^^^
When they die, they get to wear dragons and skulls with roses all over
for eternity
Just like when they were alive
And Denis Rodman is their hellmate
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 18
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 11:47:10 AM
hey op, just got off a conference call with the armpit pants dudes. they agreed to lose the bad trousers when you lose 40 pounds.
 cookie22222
Msg: 19
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 11:56:03 AM
Only very occasionally have I noticed what someone was wearing (to their detriment)...I'm not much into that myself either.

I'm more interested in the person than the wrapping paper.

HOWEVER...tight metallic blue bike short type thing, with baggy orange t-shirt...that DID get my attention I do have to admit. I just chuckled to myself and got on with it.
 CMonster
Msg: 20
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 1:53:26 PM

There has to be a specail place in hell for guys that wear Ed Hardy

Yeah, they end up married to Kate Gosselin!

Sorry, couldn't let that one get by...
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 21
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 2:28:53 PM
My daughter and I were recently at the mall and I noticed several fairly attractive men around my age. Problem is they all had their pants pulled up under their armpits

As many people age, their posture gets worse as their spines tend to collapse, giving them shorter torsos, hence their pants come up higher on them. Most men are not going to spend extra money to have their pants altered as they age. It has nothing to do with fashion. What really gets to me are those men over 45 that insist on hanging onto their Tom Selleck moustaches and center-parted hair styles from the 70s and 80s.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 22
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 2:35:13 PM
OP, Those guys were probably married and freely looking like a dork is one of the perks of marriage. Like the perk that some women get to pack on 30 pounds after the honeymoon.

for alot of folks...

If you aint looking...
You don't care how you look.
 stella_ardente
Msg: 23
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 2:36:38 PM

There has to be a special place in hell for guys that wear Ed Hardy

In the meantime, they are in a sort of purgatory on the web site Hot Chicks with Douchebags.

I do think most adults realize that whether they intend to or not, how they package themselves sends a message or two or three to the observer. This is throughout history and across cultures - clothing, hair, and adornment carry meaning.

It might not be the messages they want to send, but they are sending nevertheless.

I think nearly everyone is inherently of average appearance ... and then we choose (consciously or not) to present ourselves in ways that appeal to or dissuade others.

Personally, I think that following trends or wholesale adopting some "look" that others have is rarely a great idea for everyone. If it doesn't suit the person, it won't look good on that person.

Gotta OWN your look, whatever you pick. The chips are then gonna fall where they may.
Rock that Ed Grimley!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 24
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 2:47:18 PM
What ever you do, do NOT go down to Florida and observe the over 65 crowd. There is a law there requiring that all males over that age MUST wear lime green pants that are too long in both directions.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 25
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/7/2010 2:58:12 PM
wondering why it bothers you so much, what OTHER people choose to wear?

how does this harm you in any way?

BTW I'm sure the 'pants up to armpits' thing is an exaggeration, hyperbole

probably better than the teens/early 20's look, pants so low it shows ass-crack &/or undies, or thongs on an obese girl..

is your life so perfect you need to comment on everyone else? perhaps they have things to say about how much makeup you wear, etc.?

it's supposed to be a 'free country' free to do what you want - as long as you're not hurting others- but to many people apparently not?

what about all the over-50 women who pretend their hair is not really gray -it's "mixed color" -only, direct from Miss Clairol of course
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > 45+ men and fashion