Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > What's with this new relationship history question?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What's with this new relationship history question?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Is the duration of your longest relationship really indicative of your ability to commit or the likelihood of having successful future relationships? I honestly don't think so. Opinions, anyone?
 freud84
Msg: 2
What's with this new relationship history question?
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:37:30 PM
TERRIBLE ideal. I hate it. I think there is already enough information on my profile that people may read and misinterpret or that might stir up stereotypes/misconceptions. This is by far the worst one, since it gives you no chance to qualify why you've had a very extensive relationship history or a meager one. HATE IT. I hope they take it down immediately!!!!
 nonsensical
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:38:40 PM
I think it is irrelevant. What if the relationship was horrible and ended in divorce, murder or death? What if it was wonderful and only lasted 6 months and ended in death? What if it lasted for 30 years and you were to scared to leave or you were just to apathetic? Ridiculous!!!!!!! To many variables and proves absolutely nothing!!!
 Fifi777
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:39:06 PM
yep totally agree- It cetainly shouldn't be compulsory!

not impressed...
 Unfulfilled_One
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:42:30 PM
I have to agree with all that has been said.It;s an invasion of privacy and why should any of us have to divulge and be judged on this.Past is past, people ,grow,and mature,It should be removed !!!

Mark
 MrNiceGuyHere.
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:45:41 PM
I agree should be voluntary.. if anything! (not impressed with this new feature"
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:49:28 PM
^^^^^^^Yep. To everything/everyone above me. What's next? Sexual history? Maybe we can send current STD tests, have them scanned and added to our profiles. That should just about cover things at this point. JMO
 browneyesboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:49:53 PM
I don't see that the information shows up on your profile at all.
Maybe they use it for matching purposes or whatever.
You could just close your eyes and answer however you want.
What happens if you don't answer truthfully?
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:54:21 PM
It would be one thing if this information
was used in the background for My Matches
or the Chemistry Test or Relationship Needs.
Instead, it is displayed on profiles just like Intent.
And, IT'S MANDATORY!

What's next? Are you a virgin?
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:58:50 PM
I checked, and the information does show up on profiles. I also think the question can't be applied accurately to young POFers who haven't been on the dating scene as long as some of us who are older.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:02:18 PM

What's next? Are you a virgin?

Please don't give him any new ideas...

Cowboy
 Kindhearted100
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:05:33 PM
yeah , i was shocked it wouldn't even let me get a incoming msg till I used it, ,
hopefully if many of us complain it will be removed, totally redundant in my
opinion. what's next, how long ya had your last car,
 Elen777
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:10:32 PM
It's just unbelievable.... lol.... more and more mandatory questions... Can you imagine meeting someone not on this website and immediately asked all this questions??? what would you?? Run?? lol
How can we object?:-)
I like all the comments... about this new rule... they have to hire a better psychologist and marketing person to help them out.. or maybe they gather information to cell it to marketing companies...??lol
 bluesandrock
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:34:41 PM

I noticed that someone who emailed me didn't have his Intent displayed on his profile but he had no problem emailing me and receiving my messages. His profile was hidden, so maybe that's one way around some of these questions.

Nope. My profile is hidden and I cannot access any of the messages in my inbox. Definitely time to delete the profile as I was only using it for the forums now which are not nearly as good as they once were.
 grlnxtdior
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:36:16 PM
I am not (let say it again NOT!}a fan of this question...

First: If you ask us to divulge EVERYTHING about who we are as INDIVIDUALS my God what is there to learn about the other PERSON after you meet them?

...Whats next!!

Secondly: The longest relationship for me was over 8yrs long. Well technically that's not entirely true...lol. I've have a wonderful relationship with the members of my family and I'm 46 and still counting, so what does that tell you?!?

You're swimming to far off into the deep end Big Fish... PLEASE ALLOW FOR SOME MYSTERY TO LURE ME INTO THE MAN I AM SEEKING!!
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:46:01 PM
Yes, what's next? It is starting to feel like an overly long, Freudian therapy inflicted on us by a team of psychoanalysts, who all give us only a 10 % chance of recovery!

Maybe Markus will next ask us if we have ever battled chronic neuroses and how long THAT lasted!

Oh wait, that could be useful info.........Markus?

Cheers
 habfan29
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:48:37 PM
I thought the "intent" question was a little redundant considering there's already the "Dating/Long Term/etc" box. But this question is downright NOSY. Get rid of it!
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:02:21 PM
Is the duration of your longest relationship really indicative of your ability to commit or the likelihood of having successful future relationships?

Yes, it IS. The second greatest challenge of life IS finding and maintaining a compatible SO long-term relationship.

A major reason for such a huge challenge, is that it REQUIRES us to allow another person maybe 50% of the control,

which can make us feel so much more vulnerable than most other common situations in life... S
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:03:47 PM

I thought the "intent" question was a little redundant considering there's already the "Dating/Long Term/etc" box. But this question is downright NOSY. Get rid of it!

No kidding...that's why I lied when answering it.

I've have a wonderful relationship with the members of my family and I'm 46 and still counting, so what does that tell you?!?

Yup, and that's exactly how I explained my lie on my profile.

I guess it needs to be said yet again ...you get what you pay for.

~ds~
 cull27
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:09:21 PM
I agree with everyone on here, it's another pointless thing on this website, kind of like the one that said sexiest user under your profile picture....

please remove it!
 grkboy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:19:25 PM
All this is going to do is give people one more reason to reject one another.

I thought a dating site is about bringing people together, not people getting so nitpicky on the dumbest crap that we end up a bunch of loners.

"Longest RL" is something two people discuss AFTER A FEW DATES...not in a profile. One shouldn't be expected to explain this in a profile.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:29:54 PM
I give it thumbs down.

Instead of adding new useless features, admin should be fixing poorly implemented existing ones.
 sanyoman112
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:34:01 PM
Next will be, "How many 1st dates have you had?"

This will weed out all those who can't seem to keep a person's interest BEYOND the 1st date. :)
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:37:57 PM
Is the duration of your longest relationship really indicative of your ability to commit or the likelihood of having successful future relationships?

Yes, it IS.

But how can that information be accurately gleaned from this question? For example, you can have two marriages. One is a happy eight-year marriage that ends in the death of the wife. The other is a twelve-year marriage that is unhappy because the husband cheats constantly on the wife, and she then finds out about it and divorces him. Which man is a better relationship bet---the widower from the eight-year marriage or the adulterer from the twelve-year marriage?
 jay189
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/9/2010 2:39:53 PM
I hate to say this but POF does not have your best interests at heart. You are forced to enter this information as well as other personal information for the purpose of exploiting it for advertising profits. Obviously there is some advertisers out there that can use this specific information about your longest relationship to sell you something or for marketing research. Check out the 'adverting' section to see what information is presented to potential advertisers. If you read up on Markus the guy who started POF you will come across an article about him bragging how he make all this money back in 2008 through advertising. He is a total douchebag. It's nice that this site is free but it exploits private information about you for profit.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > What's with this new relationship history question?