Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Red IM icon + Green dot      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Griffcon
Msg: 1
Red IM icon + Green dotPage 1 of 1    
I've been told that sometimes I show a green dot next to my name, indicating that I am online and sometimes there is a red IM next to that.
Two questions....
1. Does the green (you're online) dot show anytime you're online at any site or just if you're on this site?
2. Does the red IM mean that person is IM'ing someone at that time or that can BE IM'ed or what?
 Griffcon
Msg: 2
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 7/14/2010 11:16:36 PM
Thanks Trapped.....I got it.
 lijpsuedonym
Msg: 3
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 7/17/2010 4:16:35 PM
I get the green dot means I'm online but do I have to have an im window open for others to IM me? Or how do I "turn on" IM?
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 7/17/2010 5:06:30 PM
You just have to have IM allowed to show your available for IM. Edit your mail settings. 4'th one down on the left column.

Cowboy
 Excited2bhere
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 7/18/2010 1:44:01 PM
Why does the Red IM come on and go away for users during their time on the site? If its a profile setting why does it keep changing on users?
Thanks...

Read Message 2 of this thread regarding turning on (or off) your IM via your Mail Settings

mzoblivious
Msg: 6
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 7/18/2010 3:54:38 PM
Um, Mods? I've noticed something different regarding the Red IM and the Green Dot.

On the Inbox Page above your current messages there is the list of people with whom you have received/sent messages, and here is where I see this phenomena.

When a user is online and has IM activated, you'll see both the Red IM and the Green Dot by their name.

When a user has gone off line, the Green Dot will stay activated for some length of time but the Red IM is gone.

I don't think (in this case) that a user is deactivating his IM on the Mail Settings page, I believe he has just signed out of PoF.

Of course I could be wrong, but it is something that I've noticed quite often.

qwatnee
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 11/3/2010 5:40:05 PM
Yes I agree with the above situation - I've noticed that too - so moderators - can you tell us if that is the truth - if the green dot is appearing but no IM is showing up and you know that user has IM then is it because they were just recently on and not on anymore? Please let us know - thank you. :)
 WestSideGary
Msg: 8
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 11/4/2010 6:59:40 AM
I suspect that the reason the green dot stays when a person is no longer on the site, has to do with time outs and whatnot.

I'm guessing that the person didn't actually "logout", but just closed the browser window.

Also the red IM will stay lit up in some pages of the site longer than others.

More evidence of a very poorly coded site.
 Butterflykiss03
Msg: 9
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 11/4/2010 9:49:34 AM
What does "IM User" Mean when its under someones name and its purple or a pinksish color..I have never seen the RED one. just this...is it the same..

IM = Instant Messaging on POF - How To

Cleverkitten
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 11/5/2010 2:01:12 PM
It was always my understanding that you would show as being on-line for 15 minutes after you logged off.

Therefore if you have your IM setttings set to available to IM you will have a red IM whilst you are on-line, as soon as you log off this changes to the green dot.

Often I don't wish to be interrupted with IM's so log off and only respond to e-mail notifications ( you can be logged on to the forums independently from the dating site).

johnlvs2run
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 11/9/2010 5:10:18 PM
My experience with these is as follows.

Red IM
This indicates to women that you are BUSY chatting with other women in IM.

Green Dot
Signifies you had the red IM on when you were online but have since signed out, who knows how long ago.
A friend told me last night the green dot was still on and I'd not been on pof for more than an hour.

A couple of friends have gotten very ANGRY at me and disappeared, because they said I was IM'ing with lots of women while they were sending a message to me. I hadn't been IM'ing with anyone and told them the same.

The thing is I didn't realize until yesterday WHY they thought I was busy IM'ing with women. It is because of that red IM next to the nickname. Apparently a lot of people take that to mean you are busy IM'ing with someone (women in my case) the entire time the IM is red, which means ALL the time you are on.

Probably the best thing to do to keep this from happening is to turn the red IM off.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 12
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 11/9/2010 5:21:05 PM

A friend told me last night the green dot was still on and I'd not been on pof for more than an hour.

Perhaps we 'ghost' for a while after logging off.
 Sassy_Catch9000
Msg: 13
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:28:23 PM
Can you CHAT with multiple people on the same session?? I for one do NOT want to chat with several women concurrently.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 8/13/2012 1:53:22 PM
yes you can chat with multiple people. And NO there is no way to know if they are chatting already.
 Sassy_Catch9000
Msg: 15
Red IM icon + Green dot
Posted: 8/14/2012 6:07:41 AM
Hmmm - something I don't quite understand. The RED IM goes off and on frequently on my contacts. That would imply that they are chatting (or available to chat). Do I understand this correctly??

tia.............
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Red IM icon + Green dot