Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > How to treat Wild Parsnip burns?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aitche
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How to treat Wild Parsnip burns?Page 1 of 1    
I'm not sure how many of you are gardeners, I was recently (I say recent - it was a month ago) cutting the grass an stupidly wore shorts. The mower must have gone over some wild parsnip as I have dots of burns all down my shins, plus an inch round burn just above my ankle. I've tried most things you'd think of putting on bites and stings but nothing seems to be helping.

Any-one have any suggestions?

Incidentally, if you don't know what it is, it looks a bit like cow parsley but it's yellow - and stay away from it, it's bloody awful stuff.

H.x
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 2
How to treat Wild Parsnip burns?
Posted: 7/31/2010 9:30:48 AM
A quick google search turned this up - seems the advice is the same as you would get for any type of 2nd/3rd degree burn

If contact has occurred and causes blisters, it is best cover the affected area with cool, wet cloth, avoid letting the blisters rupture by keeping the area clean and applying antibiotic creams or powders. For serious cases consult your doctor.
 Carm0n
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/31/2010 9:32:45 AM
That sounds nasty, have you tried googling it? Its amazing what you find. I have never heard of it and I'm a country girl. I have to pick up my horses dropping from my fields an often get nettled, and I'm allergic it lasts weeks. Maybe you are allergic to this wild parsley. Calamine lotion is good for most things, you could try that.
 Korotky
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/31/2010 9:46:06 AM
I would have thought an over the counter antihistamine more appropriate than anything else, unless the minor flares you've got turn into massively larger hives - in which case you should attend A&E as you might need a more potent form of antihistamine.
 aitche
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 9:53:12 AM
So far I've tried hydrocortisone, arnica, anthisan, nappy rash ceam and honey. Putting a cold cloth on it helps for a bit but wears off as soon as you remove it. Apparently the sap reacts with your DNA making it hyper sensitive to UV and thus causes burns which can last for up to two years. It's been a month and it's still producing blisters and itches like crazy. Most of the info on google is US based and the treatments they suggest aren't available here. I was hoping someone would have a wonder-cure, old-wives-tale type treatment.

H.x
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/31/2010 9:57:18 AM
Not sure an anithistamine would work - it seems there's a toxin in the sap of these plants that heightens the skin's sensitivity to UV light [sunlight] - so effectively, it gives you sunburn.

EDIT - you got there first aitche.

The little I've read suggests that the toxin is only activated by UV light - keep the affected areas covered until the toxin breaks down?

I do know someone who's into natural remedies and stuff - I'll ask her when I see her on msn.

EDIT again, because of the daft post limit - It occurs to me that if UV light is the trigger, then what about using a heavy duty sunblock?
 finbarrsaunders
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/31/2010 10:00:42 AM
A couple more over the counter remedies to try - calamine lotion and washing the area with coal tar soap.
 peter1951
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 10:01:17 AM
I'd much prefer to get advice on medical matters from...

My Doctor
NHS Direct
or from the
Local Chemist.

Far more reliable than from strangers surely?
 badge73
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 10:29:50 AM

then what about using a heavy duty sunblock?

could always wear a burkha

i would see your local chemist, after all if you got it local im sure others have had it to? then again i always thought the sunlight was meant to good for skin irritations as it drys and gets the skin to peel?
 aitche
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 10:43:09 AM
NHS Direct were no real help, only suggested what I'd already tried. My Mum's a nurse, I asked her - she suggested the honey which can work on burns, I could try booking an appointment with my doctor, but while I'm waiting the three weeks it'd take to get to see her, I thought I'd ask you lot.

Burkha that! It's bad enough having to wear long skirts in the summer without walking round in a tent.

H.x
 Carm0n
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/31/2010 11:09:53 AM
are you using manuka honey? its the best. It sounds bloody awful, have you been to the docs?

( Treating a parsnip burn
If you get a parsnip burn, relieving the symptoms comes first. The affected area can be covered with a cool, wet cloth. If blisters are present, try to keep them from rupturing for as long as possible. The skin of a blister is "nature's bandage," as one doctor put it, and it keeps the skin below protected, moist and clean while healing occurs. When blisters pop, try to leave the skin "bandage" in place. To avoid infection, keep the area clean and apply an antibiotic cream. )
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/31/2010 11:33:22 AM
Mix a teaspoon of aloe gel with the oil of 2-3 capsules of vitamin E capsules, and apply to the burn. It will heal fast.

Powdered comfrey leaves will do a quick job of it if you put them in the mix, but I don't know if you can find them in your area.

Cameo ~ 4
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/31/2010 11:59:59 AM
I'm sorry i can't offer any help on this matter but give me a shout if you ever have trouble with treating carpet burns.

aitche
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 12:19:11 PM
Isolde, I'd heard manuka honey was the best to use - I have acacia, to be honest it's a bit sticky and doesn't seem to help much. Shutterfly, thanks for that, I'll give it a try - I should have posted in the US forum, maybe, as there seems to be more awareness of the plant over there. Cameo, I've solved the carpet burn problem already - all over pvc, works a treat, thanks though.

H.x
 sunbed_anne
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 5:19:06 PM
beat an egg white untill it is frothy and then apply to the affected areas! it is an old remedy that works wonders.it forms a skin over the area to seal it - and reacts with oxygen to promote healing, specially effective on burns and nappy rash.
 Korotky
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/31/2010 5:56:27 PM

Beat an egg white untill it is frothy and then apply to the affected areas! it is an old remedy that works wonders...

Egg nogg? Or the additional issue of Salmonella?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > How to treat Wild Parsnip burns?