Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Diff Types of men and who we have relationships with...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 1
Diff Types of men and who we have relationships with...Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
ok- this is only discussing the types of women that men maintain relationships with....from a physical standpoint only.

I'm curious to see how these dynamics affect relationships...

there are basically 3 types of men...

1- Men that have LTRs/marriage with women that are better looking than they are
2- Men that have LTRs/marriage with women that are similar looking
3- Men that have LTRs/marriage with women that are less attractive than they are

guys - which type are you..
women- which type are you (from your angle)

which seems to be the best and most compatible for the long haul?

what are your thoughts?
 MsMicki
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Diff Types of men and who we have relationships with...
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:23:53 PM
"Looks" are subjective to each individual.
What I might consider "better looking"......someone else might consider "less attractive".

And I do not gauge my men by their looks.
I much prefer to gauge my men by how they treat me and others.
 forumfishie
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:27:06 PM
George Constanza thinks he is good looking
and a good catch too

I like UGLY men, the uglier the better, short, bald,
glasses, pocket protector, it's ALL welcomed
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:30:42 PM
I would say that I'm attracted to a guy's personality and character first, although it's nice if he's fit and attractive- to me anyway. As far as having an attraction, that seems to be something that just happens- and it can happen over time. Looking at who I'm dating now, I would say that we are similar looking-- at least we think are attractive to one another.
As far as how that affects a LTR I would say that if you are really drawn to each other- both due to a strong attraction that's both physical and chemical, and you also have a strong interest in each other-- having fun together, sharing interests, having great conversation, good sex, etc--then I'd say it's a lasting combination.
I'm going to mull this over a bit OP and post more later. These are just my initial thoughts.
 justbunky
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:50:58 PM
Are you serious?? Do you really think men can be classified by their looks relative to their S/O? Or that looks drive successful relationships?? I think your post is ridiculous.

You must have been bored and had nothing better to do.
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:58:41 PM
I have never looked like any of the men I have ever dated...

Is this a joke?
 RazzleRoadRunner
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:59:20 PM
OP........I've been married to the RoadRunner for quite some time now and I picked him because he can run faster, has a quick tongue and a really big beak. Which one of us is more attractive? I'm not sure.........they say that "Love is Blind." It must be true, because now I have a problem with my eyes, but I just love his character.
He's just so comical and we've made a lotta money together by investing in the "Acme Products Corporation."

The crappy part is that I could be a widow at any given moment, even as we speak........Wyllie Coyote keeps trying to kill my quick-tongued husband.
 RAMPERBILL
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:01:26 PM
I say "Beep Beep."
 RushLuv
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:16:53 PM

Wyllie Coyote keeps trying to kill my quick-tongued husband.

And I say it's about time he got him. I'm fed up with that raggedy roadrunner.

OP,

I always date men that look better than me. It's mandatory.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:25:56 PM
ok- thus far, only 1 man has responded...if you can even consider his post a response...

and 2 women have actually truly responded to this topic.

deal is- i have known plenty of women that when younger, typically try to get the best looking man they can- just as men typically do the same thing...

then let the chips fall where they may.

yet as we grow older and have been through relationships - you see good looking women actually perhaps lowering their guard a bit and realizing that they are not getting what they want from the good looking men they threw themselves at when they were younger.

so we begin to see women beginning to being open to being with men that are perhaps less attractive physically than they are...because they are maybe better quality men, more apt to commit and behave with a woman that is more attractive than they are, etc.

i know of the men I know that date women that are less attractive than they are- they do this most often times to use the women. use them for the stability of a woman that will give them their last penny, use them for the fact that these women typically are not gonna cheat on them, use them so even if they cheat on the woman- they still have a warm bed to come home to, etc...

so when I see a guy in good shape and agood dresser with a woman that is way beneath what he can get- its almost a farce to me...
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:46:45 PM
And what about the young, good-looking women who are with men who are considered average in looks? I have found that almost all of these guys treat these women extremely well, and have great personalities, etc., and that largely these women ( the ones I know) are great women and treat these men the same way.
I can also think of either good looking men or women who are very controlling and are with non-controlling types--- no rhyme or reason to their looks really.
I think, for both genders, if one is really in a committed ltr or is truly seeking one that the common elements are a mutual attraction--daresay--an equal attraction--and a great relationship based on mutual respect, common and shared interests, a healthy respect for their own lives as well as a good healthy interdependence, etc.
 RazzleRoadRunner
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:52:09 PM

so when I see a guy in good shape and agood dresser with a woman that is way beneath what he can get- its almost a farce to me...

Soo, she got herself a "trophy husband"........but did the "trophy husband" tell you OP that he didn't think his wife was very attractive and the only reason he married her was for the stability of a woman in his domicile? Maybe he thinks she is attractive.....but not in any way that you the OP might find her attractive.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/5/2010 9:03:36 PM
Soo, she got herself a "trophy husband"........but did the "trophy husband" tell you OP that he didn't think his wife was very attractive and the only reason he married her was for the stability of a woman in his domicile? Maybe he thinks she is attractive.....but not in any way that you the OP might find her attractive.

oh that is funny.

trophy husband? are you kidding?

no such thing

don't you realize how shallow we men are?

some guys that are in relationships with less attractive women than they are- are super insecure...

but most fall somewhere along the lines of what I described in the previous post...at least in my experience of knowing and seeing guys in their natural surroundings.
 venndiagram
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/5/2010 9:12:42 PM
Is this just another way to make we less attractive women feel bad if some attractive man happens to actually like us for who we are?
 RAMPERBILL
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/5/2010 9:23:57 PM
some guys that are in relationships with less attractive women than they are- are super insecure...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not insecure. Wait.......Am I.........I don't think so. Wait. No, that's not possible. Should I ask her? Maybe you can help me. Am I?
 RazzleRoadRunner
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 9:38:04 PM

don't you realize how shallow we men are?

Noooo.....men are shallow? That is just ludicrous to even think such a thing

I can only speak from personal experience......my uncle married a woman who most people considered to be "not attractive." I don't think he married her just to use her and get away with major shyte. His wife has a healthy dose of high self-esteem, in spite of her physical appearance and he's still crazy in love with her after 10 years.

Anyway, his wife is great fun to have around................and our whole family adores her. If he cheated on her..........the family would probably lay a good-lickin and
finger-waggin session on him before his wife did. Bottom-line is.........our family considers her to be very attractive, and that's all that really counts to her and her husband.

As far as my husband goes..........I just wanted to say that Mr. RoadRunner is also very smart because he invested heavily in the "Acme Products Corporation" and they consistently manufacture products that fail miserably. That doofus, Wyllie Coyote keeps spending piles of money on their defective products.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/5/2010 10:35:18 PM
I'm the type that does not get married but has LTR's with women that are more/less/the same level of attractiveness as me sometimes all in the same day.

Pretty tough to isolate physical attraction from the attractiveness of the entire package if you are going to have a LTR with someone

It's been my experience that women are much easier to get along with who think they are less attractive than I find them to be.
 FavouriteDreamsOfYou
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 11:08:24 PM
OP, are you hopeful that the hotties are now going to come knocking on your door?

Y'know, the good-looking muscle-bound hunks had their day, and now the hot women are looking for the ones they wouldn't have given a chance in the bloom of youth -
is that how it works?

Or, are you hoping the hunks will man up and go for the most beautiful women, leaving the merely pretty women for the average Joe?
(Otherwise the average Joe might be left scrambling for the less-than-pretty women)

Maybe people could carry around an "attractiveness-meter" that will light up in different colours when they pass someone more/the same/more attractive than they are.
Then they'll know who they should go for.
 MisterDynomite
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 11:53:16 PM

there are basically 3 types of men...

1- Men that have LTRs/marriage with women that are better looking than they are
2- Men that have LTRs/marriage with women that are similar looking
3- Men that have LTRs/marriage with women that are less attractive than they are

guys - which type are you..

I dunno... i don't see it as a measurement scale on whos hotter. that seems a little petty.

I know what types of women im attracted to.. but to break it down as far as who's more attractive seems ...i dunno..

Shes got to look as good as me. How about that? Sound fair?

sheesh

luckyhot777s
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/6/2010 12:29:23 AM
Well, I've had LTR's with two of the scenarios you listed, I haven't had a relation with a woman who looks similar to me.Kidding, I know what you meant, but not sure I can catigorize if any of us were equal in looks, thats pretty subjective. Sorry, the reasonings you listed would separate humans into three basic catigories, The secure over acheiver, the insecure under acheiver, the nuetral.... I'm thinking with the population so large, it can't be that simple.

I do think when people are younger they put more into looks. Thru time and experience this can change.

So, let me restate to the fact, I've been in all three of your scenario's at different times in my life...in your basic reasoning, that would simply mean I have three distinct and different personalities.

Or that looks were not the only criteria for me.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2010 4:36:59 AM
I like men I am attracted to AND can actually stand. Sure, they are far and few between, but they're out there. When I was younger I went for the attraction and gambled the rest - I haven't let up on the attraction, but now I look for substance too. If either is missing, I stay single - which luckily for me, I enjoy anyway.
 Chaps2218
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/6/2010 7:59:12 AM
Definitely 1 or maybe 2. I would NEVER have a relationship with a girl that was less attractive then me. But, there are so many factors involved.

For instance, I have a college friend who is overweight, glasses, and just a goofy guy and he dates a very attractive, petite blonde. But here is the kicker, the blonde has 2 kids from 2 different fathers. So she really can't be that picky at all.

I can only speak for myself, but I would date a slightly older woman and who wasn't a professional IF and ONLY IF she was a good looking girl. Shallow.. perhaps. That's life though.
 Consigliori
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2010 8:07:06 AM
Boondocksaint: You obviously have not been paying attention to the content of the pof forum threads.

There are only two types of men:
1) the lying, cheating, abusive sociopath who is only interested in women for sex; and 2) Mr. Virtual Dreamguy - who has been heard of (and even spotted once), but whom no poffer has actually ever dated.
 cmd1957a
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/6/2010 8:23:46 AM
I think there are only two types.

The superficial, egomaniacal and insensitve man who hides it well
The superficial, egomaniacal and insensitve man who cant hide it all.

Op...take a shot at which one you are
 daynadaze
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2010 8:28:51 AM
My first husband was a homely man with buck teeth and a pointy nose, my second husband was pretty darn good looking with blond hair, green eyes and a slim build, well they were both kind of skinny really. I was younger and better looking than my first husband and my second was better looking than me, and younger. I've dated some good looking guys and some butt ugly guys, but when I was with them I thought they were all hawt, I'm a personality person, if you don't attract me mentally you could look like George Clooney and I wouldn't be interested. If I'm mentally attracted to a man, then he becomes very good looking to me, no matter how he looks to others. I don't really know how else to explain it. I don't do that physical attraction first then find their personality attractive, it's always the other way around.

Anyway, I've been in all three situations, it never mattered, it never seemed to have anything to do with how well the relationship worked and it was never a reason for the break ups.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Diff Types of men and who we have relationships with...