Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > 28 days later ...... possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge73
Msg: 1
view profile
History
28 days later ...... possible?Page 1 of 1    
A new deadly virus strain has 'jumped' from an infected monkey colony at a U.S. laboratory to a human, according to researchers.

Scientists said it was very unusual for this type of virus to move between species and warranted further study.

It echoes the opening scenes of the British horror film 28 Days Later when a deadly pandemic is triggered when activists break into a lab and are infected by a chimp with a 'Rage' virus.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1324455/The-real-28-days-later-Deadly-virus-jumps-monkey-scientist-lab.html#ixzz13eqDHew4

is there getting to much testing on animals? or will there be a time like in the film where an accident happens and causes devastation to such a horrendous degree?

edit vvvv indeed nats, in the film protesters realised the monkey that had the virus, and at the time thinking wow!! considering the viruses out their such as ebola and how quick it can spread its quite scary. im lucky where i am as the animals feel sorry for the women wearing make up, i just say thank god they do!
 Nats 2010
Msg: 2
28 days later ...... possible?
Posted: 10/28/2010 6:03:29 AM

scientists said it was very unusual for this type of virus to move between species and warranted further study.

Didn't say it was impossible though.

I don't like animal testing but understand that it needs to be done for certain medical research. What I absolutely can't stand is testing for make-up etc ... no need for it.

I don't know how strict the regulations are in the US with regards animal testing, ie how many licenses are issued and what security/safety measures they have in place. But any laboratory that is working with hazardous material or playing about with viruses should be extremely strict or accidents will happen. Has there ever been anything like this in the UK? I know animals have been released by protesters but just wonder whether anything has ever gone wrong here.
 Korotky
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/28/2010 6:12:26 AM
Wasn't HIV said to have first spread from primates to man too? I seem to recall stories about a Frenchman eating raw monkey brains in north Africa and being the first recorded person with the HIV infection, and it was claimed he later spread the virus to North America...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_AIDS

There are an excessive number of humans on the planet, we're threatening other species to extinction through greed and poor management of environmental and ecological factors - we're not unlike a virus ourselves in many ways, so it's very likely we'd be susceptible to a new virus, never before encountered.

Mother nature has her ways of redressing the balance, and we hardly live in harmony with the planet, who knows about "28 Days Later"... perhaps it could prove to be more Charlton Heston'ish, and we could all be looking at something more akin to "Planet of the Apes" in reality...

* Someone, please pass me a banana... *
 Strider886
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:18:51 AM
There was research recently that showed if this sort of "zombification" virus got into the population, due to our poor hygene education the human race could be wiped out in less than a few months.

By the time you get past the idiots who run about going "oh it's just a cold, don't worry" it'll be far too late to stop it.
 mollydaydream
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:29:34 AM

By the time you get past the idiots who run about going "oh it's just a cold, don't worry" it'll be far too late to stop it.

I'll appoint you the task of squaring it with our managers
 Lou Smoralls
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:44:05 AM

There was research recently that showed if this sort of "zombification" virus got into the population, due to our poor hygene education the human race could be wiped out in less than a few months.

Nothing like a bit of exaggerated scaremongering.....don't you know there are some of a slightly nervous disposition on here?
 ~Hams~
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 8:45:22 AM
I experienced some women in The supermarket
this morning who must have been suffering with The trolley rage virus.
It was most upsetting!
 lynx-1950
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/28/2010 9:39:48 AM
Ive worried about bird flu and swine flu both of which were supposed to sweep the country and infect the masses. I take it all with a pinch of salt now. If it happens it happens.
 oggers
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 11:54:06 AM
As the Flight of the Conchords sang ... "stop touching the monkeys.."
 FoxyMoron1974
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:35:08 PM
Pop past Primark on any high street on a Saturday morning and look through the window at the zombified masses mauling each other to get to a t-shirt that has been reduced to £2
 badge73
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:42:15 PM
hahaha at some of the replies and yes dont think there would be much difference, especially around redditch and looking in macdonalds window and watching them with both hands full and one gob!!

but on a serious note its quite plausible one government is trying to cross something like ebola with the common cold, one sneeze and how many are infected? and they get home or to a pub and do the same.

im sure we can remember how much the government crapped themselves and everyone ( 0000 ive got swine flu must take a day off as nose dribbling) so imagine if something half decent came along ..... off to pack my attic with tins of corned beef and readers wives.
 Korotky
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:59:36 PM
I'm not sure we need worry solely about what the so called viral labs are producing or experimenting with, mosquitoes seem to be carrying increasing numbers of (malaria) plasmodium parasites, which are proving very highly drug resistant... indeed some types of mosquito have become all but DDT proof... plus certain strains of Tuberculosis are now highly resistant to all known anti-biotics and are spreading steadily across europe in a westerly direction...

New anti-biotics could be ten years away, and in tens of millions of instances that will be too late... some of these tiny organisms can evolve faster than scientists can develop solutions... and we are *due* for another influenza pandemic...

There again all it would take would be a significant meteor strike, or for Yellowstone Park to erupt, and half the world would be lost in hours in a fireball - and the rest, buried by ash, or decimated by a mega tsunami...

Keep taking the pills...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > 28 days later ...... possible?