Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > (USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you! [THREAD Closed]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 guitarpetter
Msg: 1
(USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you! [THREAD Closed]Page 1 of 1    
Hi PoF staff!

PoF is a great site - a neat concept, and it's fantastic that it's free! I also appreciate the fact that the site is consistently evolving and being improved! I'm very happy to be a member, so thanks a lot for your hard work!

However, the new addition of these messages "BLANK wants to meet you" with a link to their profile isn't working the best for me. I don't have time to look at all of those profiles, so they end up cluttering my email inbox. I've occasionally deleted them and accidentally deleted messages from other PoF members who wanted to get into contact with me, which is very unfortunate.

One option could be to have this as an option that can be turned off or on, depending on users' preferences. Alternatively, if the email address is changed to something other than "customercare@...etc..." and if it's given a specific email address, than people can exercise the option of diverting that mail directly into the trash bin, instead of having to manually delete the messages.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
view profile
History
(USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you!
Posted: 11/1/2010 5:49:39 PM
You can setup a spam filter based on a word or word's in the header.

I think I used "meet you"

more info here

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14204336.aspx

Cowboy
 Betterw.aPartner
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Agree- This is misleading (USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you!
Posted: 11/14/2010 4:34:40 PM
I agree.
PoF is a really great website.

(USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you! Creates misunderstandings. This is not like PoF's history or previous style.

One woman who was a new member and widowed person was very confused when I said I was not available at this time to meet with her. She said that she did not understand why men said they wanted to meet her and then did not.

Was this something that PoF asked it's customers if it was okay to use their name in "
" (USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you!"

Nice idea but it is probably not working well if you get customer feedback.

If PoF wants to continue using this message with people's e-mail address it would be best to put in a disclaimer such as "OUR COMPUTER THINKS (USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you!"

It would be best to drop it in my opinion.

But please keep up your fabulous PoF website and service. Regards, C.T.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2010 5:29:26 PM
^^^^ You are not GETTING IT! Go click on MEET ME above your inbox and maybe it will become more clear.

WE ARE NOT USING PEOPLES NAME WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION TO SEND THAT EMAIL!

That person used that MEET ME application (try and and hopefully you will catch on how this works) and said they wanted to meet you. They have to click YES or MAYBE for you to get an email saying they want to meet you. But THEY do it not this website.

Cowboy
 Sparklin Girlie
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/21/2010 5:11:09 PM
I am not so sure that I believe that these emails are not PoF generated. I have responded to messages I get that says "[NAME] wants to meet you" and when I responded with "thanks for your interest, let's talk" I get responses back saying "this is the first time I have seen your name" or "after receiving your message is the first time I looked at your profile". So after receiving those kinds of responses, I don't think I am going to respond to the emails saying that someone wants to meet me.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2010 5:51:11 PM
Darlin many on here are never viewing the profile. They look at your pic for 5 seconds and click yes no or maybe. They can do 300 an hour!

Do not respond if you do not want to!

The fact that "maybe" counts as a yes is really screwing stuff up also as many people are getting them that the sender did not expect to. They thought maybe was skipping them.

Cowboy
 quietstar
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:18:41 PM
I responded to a couple of guys who "wanted to meet me" but found out they didn't want to at all and didn't know where I got the idea. I felt so embarrassed and confused. I told them that I got a message they wanted to meet me but they said that wasn't true. I keep getting the e-mails and the guys seem so outgoing in their profiles, I don't understand why they don't just message me if they really wanted to meet. Now, I don't know what to believe about this thing. I've looked at it a few times myself and I think the guys clicking on yes regarding meeting me could just be dolts and are clicking yes instead of no. I kinda like this idea but after the first two misunderstandings, I don't know... I just want to stop being mislead by the whole thing. I think there should be an option to close it out and not get those messages anymore or I may end up deleting my profile just to get away from the confusion. A site like this should be simple and to the point, call me stupid - I don't care. I'll pay to have simplicity and no misleading on a dating site.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2010 4:36:21 AM
simlpe. Set up a filter in your email client to trash them and just ignore the aapplication from now on.

Remember that app right now counts a "maybe" as a yes which is ruining any credibilty for being true it might have.

Cowboy
 milklover
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/28/2010 9:45:37 AM
Wow, this feature has irritated me for weeks now. I've been emailing people asking them if they have seen my pictures or profile, and I would mention to them that I received this email telling me they wanted to meet me. All of them have told me they have never seen my pictures and have never been to my profile.
 milklover
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/28/2010 9:51:54 AM
If the feature actually works from them clicking yes or maybe, and isn't computer matching, I'll keep using it. Maybe people forget, but it seems fishy that all of them have forgotten about seeing my pictures or profile. I'll keep the 'maybe' issue in mind as well. That's good to know.
From now on if I get one of these emails and find the person interesting, I think I'll email them and just say hi, as if I randomly crossed their profile. Then if they blow me off I won't be slightly humiliated like the feeling I get sometimes when I email them about these emails I get with their profile name on it.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2010 10:09:07 AM

I've been emailing people asking them if they have seen my pictures or profile, and I would mention to them that I received this email telling me they wanted to meet me. All of them have told me they have never seen my pictures and have never been to my profile.

Please keep in mind a few things. People seeing that app for the first time go in and start clicking and have no clue that those people they click "yes" and "maybe" on are getting emails saying they want to meet you or many would be horrified. They are just jacking around.

And some on here use the MEET ME app to see hundreds of members pics in a single sitting. Most for 2 to 3 seconds or so and never look at the profile. And you think they will some how remember YOU when they clicked yes or maybe on a 100 people and saw 500?

They never saw your profile so they have no clue you are actually out of their age range, you smoke, drink, do drugs, are still married, 5'2" and never completed high school and are looking for an Intimate Encounter etc...

Cowboy
 triangle_circle_x_square
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/7/2011 11:13:49 AM
I think it might be advisable that the wonderful staff of PoF revise this MEET thing and make it optional for users to receive or to not receive the email alerts.

I understand that PoF users are welcome to set up their own email filter with their own email system though I do believe it should be an option available directly on the PoF site.

Thank you for allowing feedback!
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > (USERNAME HERE) wants to meet you! [THREAD Closed]