Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > is Evow faking emails to get people to pay the fees?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kychas
Msg: 1
view profile
History
is Evow faking emails to get people to pay the fees?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
on some other pay sites I have seen the site generate fake emails to get people to stay, a few days before the end of the paid up time.
I would like to know is evow pulling the same type of thing, I have been on evow for a few weeks and I got an email and did respond and now if I look at the email the pay for a month or 3 or 6 sales stuff pops up now. I heard that some parts are free and I don't know it they are holding an email till I pay or not.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
view profile
History
is Evow faking emails to get people to pay the fees?
Posted: 12/28/2010 3:42:13 PM
Been a member since it was first started. Back then it was free to send and receive messages.

Last I looked you could send but not read messages without paying.

It is written right on their main page you need to pay now to read messages you receive. Who knows what is real and what is not. If you pay and get no messages until a week before your membership expires and 7 super models all send you messages then assume they were fake.

Cowboy
 HawkingJr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2010 4:11:39 PM
Is Evow one-way pay or two-way? That is, do both the sender and receiver need to have paid memberships before two-way communication can happen?

The scammiest aspect of Match is that BOTH potential communicators must have paid memberships in order for communication to happen... yet the paid members are not identified as such (in the words of customer service when I complained about this: "That wouldn't be fair to our unpaid members"). As many women aren't willing to pay to find a date, most guys are probably sending dozens of emails each to women who can't even read them (and aren't willing to pay to read them), much less respond to them. If Evow is like that, then, well, there goes my respect for Evow.

The pay dating site philosophy that works much better is the one Hot Or Not and Singles Dot Net use: so long as at least ONE of the two potential communicators have a paid membership, then full communication is allowed. And in these situations, almost inevitably, the vast majority of paid memberships are from men (as HON identified paid members, I can almost count on my fingers the total number of paying female members I've seen at Meet Me over the past decade). But nobody feels screwed by that -- after all, men already pay for most of the actual dates and certianly have no issues with "ladies' nights" at bars, so why should many of them object to having to pay to GET dates? But the two-way pay dating philosophy only works for "upper end" dating sites: well-off women are sometimes willing to pay to meet well-off men outside of their own social circles. Obviously, Evow is not really catering to that sort of crowd, so if it's "two-way," then I don't really seeing it succeeding (well, Match has, but sometimes you just get lucky while p-ing people off -- is there really enough room on this planet for two Matches? Is Evow superior to Match in anyway? Heck, is it superior to the free Plenty of Fish? When I checked it out, I didn't really think so.)
 kari135
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2010 4:34:35 PM
The only faces/profiles I see on eVow are the same ones I see on POF. IOW, the same ones who aren't interested in me already. Singlesnet isn't bad, but it's basically a hookup for the night site. And if you want to look at everyone in your age range, you only get to look at the ones who are actually logged on. If they aren't actively online, they aren't there. Not a good thing, for what they charge, anyway. But if you're careful and sneaky, you can put your email addy in your profile and bypass the payment. I've completely lost track of how many sites I'm on, most of them have changed owners/names/whatever, but it's still the same faces. I was really amused by one of them, they found me one match - a CEO in Dallas who had a chihuahua! I am so not into that kind of lifestyle....
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2010 7:29:21 PM
Every paid site I've been on pulls that tactic and yeah it's always fake, they just aren't there once you pay your dues. Also, I agree with the above poster, you will find tons of the same people there as on any other dating site including here. I would never pay for a dating site again, it's all the same people, all the same troublemakers, all the same security measures, all the same phony match ups. You are paying for the same thing you can get on free sites.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2010 3:43:29 AM
Actually, HAwkingJr, a lot of men AND women have a problem with setups where men are expected to pay and women not. It's damn near prostitution, and what's worse is that man who have paid some third party often develop a sense of entitlement - "I paid so I deserve to get some, girl!"

It's a hangover from times of women as property... times that are still with us, alas, in much of the world.
ED BEAR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/29/2010 8:08:13 AM
All dating sites have the same people on them. I live in a small city, about 150,000 people (but there is the greater metropolitan area which brings it up to well over 200,000+), and on ALL the sites I have been on, the same men pop up again and again.

I tried Evow, and the SAME men were there!

Why should anyone pay to be see the same faces?

Since I am seeing someone on a steady basis, I am still on POF because of the forums.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 7:37:14 AM
Ed: It's not like these one-way pay sites have RULES that say men must pay, women are free. That just ends up being how it shakes out, because most men are willing to pay and most women aren't. If a woman wants to feel like she hasn't given the man any reason to believe she owes him, she could just pay for a membership herself, but apparently most women would rather keep their money... and still participate. And I suppose a guy could see how far he could get on one of those sites without a membership, if he really wanted to accomplish nothing. These sites are set up in a non-discriminatory/non-gender-specific manner -- it is the users themselves who end up tilting the balance far in one direction. If you have a problem with the way it works out, you should probably take it up with the specific users or society as a whole and not the sites (although they are arguably taking advantage of human nature -- I still say not too many people are crying over it, though; certainly I'm not since over 90% of my internet dating site meetings occurred as a result of these types of sites, and I can't recall a single one of those women having her own paid membership).

The one woman that I ever met on Match had at that point at least never really used POF and I doubt she has since. She said something about there being too much "noise" on POF from the "lowest common denominator" since it was free and she didn't have time to deal with such nonsense (she was a bank executive) and would prefer to pay a small fee to filter out the "noise." How my "noisy" self got through to her, I still have no idea. I would say finally meeting my "dream girl" was worth the $30, but the reality of the situation is that I had spent hundreds of dollars on Match before that point and met no one, so it cost a lot more than that one monthly membership. I know a lot of women in these forums say that the men on Match are of no higher quality than the men on POF, but that is unlikely to be true, considering a membership on Match (or eVow or eHarmony or whatever) at least proves that your credit has not yet been revoked. Now if your idea of "high quality" is a frugal man... POF is definitely your place.
 kari135
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 9:54:31 AM
@ HawkingJr

I've heard there are some sites that are free for women while men have to pay, but I haven't come across one yet. I'd suspect that any sites like that would be essentially hookup sites, nothing else - or if there were any who were serious about having any kind of relationship, as opposed to NSAs, the percentage would be minimal.

I did join one of the pay-for-all-services once, it was one of the free to join where you could look at profiles, send/receive winks or flirts, but if you wanted to send/receive messages, you had to be a real member. It was a special, first month free/cancel at any time. Cancelling was a major PITA - they seem to think that 'send me a bill' means 'charge my card.' It took a lot of time and phone calls to get them to quit. It's actually easier to delete an account with them than it is to get them to stop taking your money. It's not just dating sites doing that, either - nearly every site that involves finding specific information or exclusive networking operates the same way.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/30/2010 12:24:35 PM

I know a lot of women in these forums say that the men on Match are of no higher quality than the men on POF, but that is unlikely to be true, considering a membership on Match (or eVow or eHarmony or whatever) at least proves that your credit has not yet been revoked.

I have been on match.com, Yahoo personals, and at least one other site where I paid a fee.

Again, the SAME men!
 daynadaze
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 2:55:48 PM
Yeah, if all you are looking for is cheap then POF is your place...yet here you are. Please. A lot of people belong to both paying sites and free sites and so are actually paying a lot in the long run. But being willing to pay for a site membership or not, has nothing to do with the quality of the person, if you are basing who you will meet by how much you pay then you are going to be disappointed. If people say they are seeing the same men/women on both paid and free sites then why would you come to the conclusion that these men/women are frugal?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 11:06:13 PM
Kari: Again, I'm talking about NON-DISCRIMINATORY sites with communication allowed between couples in which only one is a paying member. In other words, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman with the paid subscription. Any site that specifically states that men must pay and women are free is another situation entirely... although theoretically the net result is largely the same. But just by publicly discriminating, such a site would send out a different vibe and probably end up with different types of members than one that doesn't discriminate. Actually, officially discriminating like that sounds a little "swinger-ish." (It's also quite possible it would be running afoul of anti-discrimination law.)

Gwendolyn: I don't doubt what you say. But I live in a 4 million person metro -- it is impossible for me to actually look at every active profile on POF since there are like 10,000+ here. As a result, I personally rarely come across the same woman's profile on both POF and paid sites (but although rare, it has happened a few times over the years with interesting results). Unless the woman used the same user name for both sites, it'd be nearly impossible to purposely find her profile on POF after coming across her on Match, so I could email her for free instead. Also, as I just said, apparently there are quite a few women on Match who refuse to put up with POF's annoyances, so not being on Match would cause me to miss out on them. But that's from a male perspective in a very large market. Female experience in a smaller market might be similar to yours (I imagine most men probably would have profiles on both POF and paid sites, to cover all their bases and because "noise" doesn't concern them as much).

Day: *I* am obviously not frugal since I have spent plenty of money on paid sites, even while having a POF membership (actually, I have never met anyone from POF in 4 years, yet during those 4 years, I have met several women from paid sites; no time today to get into what exactly that means!). I was just suggesting, if you're not into the type of men that are willing to spend money to get dates, then by all means only use POF! They are definitely here (along with many, many other types of men). They will definitely NOT be on Match or eHarmony, so there is, in fact, no point in wasting money looking for him there. I'm not saying men who are willing to pay to get dates are higher quality by any means, but if that perception weren't out there, then the Matches and eHarmonies of the world would not be remotely successful in the face of POF competition -- their advantage vs. free sites to SOME people is that they filter out certain other people. Not necessarily "poor" people, but certainly a very large percentage of non-serious people, because the kind of guys most of you women get emails from on POF just aren't willing to pay $30 a month to play their dating site games.
 softy63
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/2/2011 9:23:50 PM
I joined Evow months and months ago and my membership is free. I'm grateful for that but I rarely go on the site because mostly the same people there are also on POF.

Also some men I blocked on here are on Evow and ask why i blocked them. No matter.......I dont answer. Its free to me.
 celticbeauty1961
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/23/2011 1:08:40 AM
Well I'm not subscribed and I can send and receive emails. I couldn't to start with though. There is a lot that I can't do though
celticbeauty
 arwen52
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2011 8:00:13 PM
I've heard this same accusation made about eHarmony by one of my friends who was on it.
I don't know. Back when I first started dating, I went on Match.com. After six months, I didn't continue.
 Lilbitcountry64
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2011 8:45:15 PM
I say yes, because I just had a male friend say he saw me on there and I've never signed up, changed the user name, used pics from my POF account, even the ones that I don't show on my account but are still used ... I'm mad!
 SaharaM
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2011 10:23:43 AM
^^^ I get a ton of criticism for not having a picture posted... aside from all the other reasons I don't post one publicly, my pic is definitely not used in this manner.
 Kel1965
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/18/2011 2:26:52 AM
Im on there as well...and I do not have to pay to send or recieve.. I did sign up for others too...but when I see that its gonna cost me... I delete the account... Im not gonna pay to speak to a man
 femaleconnection
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2011 3:12:25 AM
I dont doubt any pay site would generate fake emails to get people to pay. One I was on was sending me super glossy photos and emails from what was obviously fake profiles. I just deleted right away, could smell the scam.

Ive been on various pay sites and it is always the same men as are on here. I dont bother with any other site anymore.
 arwen52
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2011 4:29:57 PM
Forgot I made a comment before that I've heard the same accusation from others who have been on eHarmony.

Try OKCupid. It's also free and I'm not running across the same guys there. Or maybe they're here, too, but somehow I'm not crossing paths with them here.
 Michaelann
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/25/2011 9:34:56 PM

I've heard there are some sites that are free for women while men have to pay, but I haven't come across one yet. - kari135

I have come across 3 so far. I have a list of well over 100 free dating sites, so far. But thankfully, I caught my & my list is only for others!
 TheLoveAbove
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 1:37:11 PM
I wouldn't put it past them, but all I can say is this site has very limited features for the amount they are asking. Also no luck myself here so I'm leaving. :)
 egowitch
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/14/2011 11:23:07 AM
I think all the paid sites pull stuff like this to keep folks paying just one more time ...

I was on Match for a bit, and it was so obviously they were doin' a job on me with their tricks (and everyone else most likely), I even wrote to them about it. No response. And no more membership from me !
 kari135
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2011 1:11:11 PM

Try . It's also free and I'm not running across the same guys there. Or maybe they're here, too, but somehow I'm not crossing paths with them here.

Lots of the same people. The difference is all those wonderful questions - I spent a good part of one winter while recovering from a hospital stay answering questions. And all those men who answered questions too - it was an eye-opener. One I first saw on POF turned out to be a racist homophobe, forget that!

I got lots of matches, but geez, they were all the same faces that weren't interested or blocked me for whatever reason. Exactly the same ones who are doing the same thing on POF. And just like on POF, the best matches closest to me either block me or never answer any messages. It's the ones furthest away who are friendly and answer messages.
 bennett111
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/5/2013 9:06:44 AM
these three beautiful women on evow sent me messages. they had almost the exact same bio's. They give me their number, do not even live in the same state, and will not talk over the phone. When i check my inbox their messages are gone and i cant find them anywhere. When im not on evow for a long time thats when i get these women wanting to meet. Their is something fishy going on and im insulted that evow thinks im that dumb. ***holes.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > is Evow faking emails to get people to pay the fees?